As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Superhero Thread - New Avengers Trailer is Out, Shit Looks Dope [Superheroes]

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    As someone who quit reading Spider-Man comics for years because of OMD

Man, Renew Your Vows still sounds goddamn terrible

have they actually announced anything about Renew Your Vows besides that teaser image?

I can't recall seeing anything officially announced
    They haven't but Dan Slott tweeted he had recieved art from Kubert for it and then quickly deleted the tweet

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    You know what really sucks about Star-Lord going from paramilitary leader to space rogue? He kinda ate Corsairs lunch in the process. Thankfully young Cyclops is around to let him be Space Dad.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I'm surprised Fox isn't doing a Starjammers movie to cash in on the popularity of GotG.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Well, Jackman is pretty busy

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Did I miss something in this week's Batman
    Joker's face was all fucked up on one side, but it was fine in the last issue

Didn't he get shot with a shotgun?

Yeah but his face looks like that before he gets shot

• Options
    Didn't have his face surgically cut off and a plastic surgeon build him a new one?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

have they actually announced anything about Renew Your Vows besides that teaser image?

At this point I'm just not interested in stories with Pete and MJ together, even if it's alternate reality them.

There have been years and years of stories since OMD, many of them have been really good. I think Peter and MJ work really well as friends and confidants, and I think it's really kind of.. I dunno if cynical is the right word here, but it feels cheap to lean back on the Peter+MJ relationship. That story ended, and even if the way out ended is shitty and awful it made way for more stories.

The very concept of Renew Your Vows feels like it's trying to cash in on lingering sore feelings over OMD.

• Options
    There's a shot in the last issue of him swimming towards the cave, a full on view of his face, and it's fine
    And then in this issue he surfaces and half of his face is blown off

A few panels later he does get shot, so I have to assume it was just a mixup

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

?

Because Wolverine has to be in every X-Men movie, you see

Ah ha

Ha ha ha

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    In case it hasn't been mentioned, in the AoS premier preview that was after this week's Carter, Skye referred to herself as
    something inhuman

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I need to poop really bad and I can't poop

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Chincy

We've talked about this

Pooping is a Chincy Time activity

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Hi Ms. Chilla

• Options
    I explicitly said I'm not pooping

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Yes but you also said you want to

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

An actual spinoff series with Atom, Black Canary, Captain Cold, and half of Firestorm? Yeah...okay

Yeah hell yeah yes okay

it's a weird line-up, especially considering, you know
    Sara's dead

but of course I'm down anyway

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    it'll be a multiversal story caused by Flashpoint

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

At this point I'm just not interested in stories with Pete and MJ together, even if it's alternate reality them.

There have been years and years of stories since OMD, many of them have been really good. I think Peter and MJ work really well as friends and confidants, and I think it's really kind of.. I dunno if cynical is the right word here, but it feels cheap to lean back on the Peter+MJ relationship. That story ended, and even if the way out ended is shitty and awful it made way for more stories.

The very concept of Renew Your Vows feels like it's trying to cash in on lingering sore feelings over OMD.

there's definitely more mixed feelings about Renew Your Vows than the other nostalgia-based stuff in Battleworld like X-Men '92, Infinity Gauntlet, Inferno, etc.

but I do think it's pretty cynical to say that a story sounds terrible sight unseen

personally I also have Strong Feelings about OMD, but I'm more of the opinion that I'd rather read Spider-Man stories where he is together with MJ than stories where he isn't

which is not to say that I am extremely optimistic about Renew Your Vows, because Dan Slott does not have a great track record with me

• Options
    I assume it's going to be an anthology series rather than something structured like Arrow/Flash

• Options
    I assume it's going to be an anthology series rather than something structured like Arrow/Flash

hm, yeah. That would be a good mid-season filler. Especially since
    they've mentioned they really want to do an episode of Arrow about Sara getting found/trained by the League of Assassins but have been having trouble figuring out how to fit it into the season

it'd also be a good way to "test pilot" some characters

• Options
    Yes but you also said you want to

Don't we all

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I don't

Toilets just waste my time.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I wonder what kind of budget F4 is working with, because I can't envision anyone going to see that movie. It'll be lucky to pull 30 Million domestic on its opening weekend, and I think the August release date (summer movie graveyard) demonstrates that even Fox knows this.

Even if the movie is good, it feels like they're specifically engineering a thing to not be a hit.

Eh. Bunch of non comic book readers I know were at least intrigued by the trailer.

I mean, I get why they're doing what they're doing. The previous two movies went with a tone that was similar to the comics (they were just horrible movies, not exactly horrible adaptations) and they tanked.

Doing something that looks similar on the surface could sink the movie, so they're going a completely different (and somewhat intriguing) direction.

The Fantastic Four films of the last decade did not tank.

The sequel didn't do as well as they had hoped but they didn't tank.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2015
    I need to poop really bad and I can't poop

Take it to H+A, I'm sure they'd love it.

A duck! on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    @Solar, I get where you are coming from.

It'd be great if, within all the crazy-insane stories of Battleworld, for there to be one with a more... dramatic look?

Like if Nick Fury was taking a hard approach to this new smashed-together universe and was still determined to be the guy in charge.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Yeah Secret Wars just looks like everyone is toppling their toy shelves of Marvel action figures and just tossing them at each other. Which I suppose is fitting given the origin of the original event.

Sure everyone who plays with those toys will have a different style and tone. But it still feels like a bunch of random elements thrown together without a whole lot of thought.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Hulu must have glitched out because I was watching Arrow but all of a sudden it switched to Iron Man

• Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    Yeah Secret Wars just looks like everyone is toppling their toy shelves of Marvel action figures and just tossing them at each other. Which I suppose is fitting given the origin of the original event.

Sure everyone who plays with those toys will have a different style and tone. But it still feels like a bunch of random elements thrown together without a whole lot of thought.

do not doubt that there is actually an insane amount of thought going on behind the scenes

Jonathan Hickman is a mad god

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Hulu must have glitched out because I was watching Arrow but all of a sudden it switched to Iron Man
    I see what you did there.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I'm sure he has.

Unfortunately though I'm one of the few who just cannot get into Hickman.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Keith wrote: »

An actual spinoff series with Atom, Black Canary, Captain Cold, and half of Firestorm? Yeah...okay

Yeah hell yeah yes okay

Sara's dead

Three words.

Weekend is one of them.

"At" is another.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »

Yeah hell yeah yes okay

Sara's dead

Three words.

Weekend is one of them.

"At" is another.

At Weekend Update?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I've thought about it a bit more and I think the reason I'm ok with the majority of these things being big dumb fun is that the last several marvel events

Well

Havent

I mean many of them WERE fun, but the premises have been dark stuff

Infinity, inversion, civil war, avx

Not exactly a rollicking good time

So yeah I'm ok with it

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I liked the original event a whole bunch.

And Marvel Zombies Vs. Army of Darkness was aces.

I can safely ignore everything else. But the original run+ the Ultimate Fantastic Four tie in was REALLY good.

The third mini is good. It's Aaron Stack going into zombieworld alongside Jocasta and just cleaning house because he's a robot and doesn't have to worry about viruses. It's continuing from Nextwave's treatment of Machine Man, though, so if you loathe Nextwave, probably not a sound purchase.

People don't like nextwave? Who? (So we can hunt them down like the mutants they are)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Quite a few people here! Me included

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

I can safely ignore everything else. But the original run+ the Ultimate Fantastic Four tie in was REALLY good.

The third mini is good. It's Aaron Stack going into zombieworld alongside Jocasta and just cleaning house because he's a robot and doesn't have to worry about viruses. It's continuing from Nextwave's treatment of Machine Man, though, so if you loathe Nextwave, probably not a sound purchase.

People don't like nextwave? Who? (So we can hunt them down like the mutants they are)

Spoit, I thought you read Marvel. We don't hunt mutants. They're just people. Weird people, who may try to take over the world at any time, but people.

(You should probably stay away from them, though, to avoid getting caught up in their vaguely incestuous soap opera madness.)

• Options
    Talking to Empire Magazine, Daredevil costume designer Stephanie Maslansky reveals that the black vigilante outfit was pieced together from "practical sports and military wear, restitching garments from companies like McDavid, CAT, and G-Star." All of this she says is stuff that Matt could "go out and find himself." When the site mentioned the red outfit and horns, she added: "In the end, somebody else [in the story] makes his Daredevil costume. What's really exciting is the evolution of it, and how he comes to have it made."

Red suit further confirmed

Also the series is being described as "PG-16 [...] not quite R but we get kiss right up to it."

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Nextwave is fucking garbage (except for the art)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Also uh the back half of AoS sounds insane
    Cal goes on a revenge quest against SHIELD and forms a TEAM OF SUPERVILLAINS to do so

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Nextwave is amazing and I don't understand the hate at all

This discussion has been closed.