As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NINTENDO 3DS: THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    McFlynn wrote: »
    Beltaine wrote: »
    I bought a Wii U and I really like it, but it kept pissing me off that all the games they announced that I was interested in were for 3DS, so I bought a 3DS also.

I'd much much much rather play on the Wii U. The second touch screen is already there, Nintendo.

You're the one person they made Kirby Rainbow Curse for, then.

Except I don't like Kirby. :(

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Well, I was not saying what nintendo WILL do.
    I was saying what they SHOULD do.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Cross-platform like that might actually be a moderately good enticement for third parties.

Used to be, you could make a game for 360, PS3 and PC with a minimum of effort, or you could make a game for just the Wii (maybe PS2; good luck selling your game on either of them).

If you can make one game for both Nintendo platforms, that's kind of attractive. Imagine if devs could do that right now for Wii U and 3DS. 3DS has sold well, and there's no reason not to release digitally on Wii U too while you're at it.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Cross-platform like that might actually be a moderately good enticement for third parties.

Used to be, you could make a game for 360, PS3 and PC with a minimum of effort, or you could make a game for just the Wii (maybe PS2; good luck selling your game on either of them).

If you can make one game for both Nintendo platforms, that's kind of attractive. Imagine if devs could do that right now for Wii U and 3DS. 3DS has sold well, and there's no reason not to release digitally on Wii U too while you're at it.

Considering third parties can't be arsed to port over the 360 and PS3 games they're still making to the Wii U, I don't think that'll be much of a hook. Hell, third-party development for the 3DS is almost as horrible as that for the Wii U as it is.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Well I did say "moderately good." Not even necessarily a system saver.

Just mentally picturing, publish once and you're suddenly on two platforms that are guaranteed to work the same with no bugs due to having the same architecture, as opposed to just being on one platform...that's nice. It's one reason Android is nice, you publish once and now your game can be played on all these different models of phones by various companies.

As for third party development being poor for 3DS...hey I'm just sayin', you go home and enjoy Etrian Odyssey 4 on your Wii U, Bravely Default on your Wii U, Monster Hunter 4 on your Wii U, Virtue's Last Reward on your Wii U, Shin Megami Tensei 4 on your Wii U, Super Street Fighter 4 on your Wii U...
    Turns out that every good third party 3DS game ends with a 4 apparently

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Okay this is actually legit, maybe. A guy named stealth predicted the last nintendo direct and said a new one is coming, then deleted his tweet. There was also a press event in seattle that is embargoed until the date of the direct. Europe recently had a Splatoon related press event.

Source(haha lawl): http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/71439313

That guy (https://twitter.com/Stealth___ ) has a lot of Nintendo Treehouse guys following him on Twitter, could be legit.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Well I did say "moderately good." Not even necessarily a system saver.

Just mentally picturing, publish once and you're suddenly on two platforms that are guaranteed to work the same with no bugs due to having the same architecture, as opposed to just being on one platform...that's nice. It's one reason Android is nice, you publish once and now your game can be played on all these different models of phones by various companies.

Well, it's not quite that universal with Android -- developers still have to take into account all those different hardware configurations, and often new apps won't run well (or at all) on older Android phones.

But yeah, having cross-compatibility between 3DS and Wii U would be nice.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    There's only one thing I would want out of a Nintendo Direct that there's a pretty good chance won't happen. Ugh.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Venture IndustryVenture Industry Registered User regular
    Got my New 3DS XL charging cradle in yesterday it's super fly and convenient worth the $14 for sure.

3DS: 3866-8020-5336 NNID/PSN: VentureIndustry XBL: Hax0rz
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Maz- wrote: »
    Okay this is actually legit, maybe. A guy named stealth predicted the last nintendo direct and said a new one is coming, then deleted his tweet. There was also a press event in seattle that is embargoed until the date of the direct. Europe recently had a Splatoon related press event.

That guy (https://twitter.com/Stealth___ ) has a lot of Nintendo Treehouse guys following him on Twitter, could be legit.

Yeah I couldn't decide of I should post it, saw that and knew that it was likely legit.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Nintendo has a new Direct every one to two months and Splatoon is coming out in May, so it would be more surprising if they didn't have a new Direct coming soon.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I did the Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player thing for years growing up, so it doesn't bother me-- not when I can get games I missed out on and/or are hard to find for cheap.

For me, especially with GBA games, they are basically SNES games. I used to play SNES-quality games on the TV anyway. The GBA Player or Wii U VC is just doing that all over again. There's nothing particularly "handheld" or inferior about most GBA games! A lot of them were ports of SNES games anyway.

Well, except for the music/sound...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    That's why they just contracted someone to do it for them.

Doubtful. Most likely DeNa deal will only result in mobile games using Nintendo IP, I don't see Nintendo working with DeNa to fix their console online woes.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    darren66 wrote: »

Doubtful. Most likely DeNa deal will only result in mobile games using Nintendo IP, I don't see Nintendo working with DeNa to fix their console online woes.

Didn't they just announce a cross-console account system in collaboration with DeNA?

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

Didn't they just announce a cross-console account system in collaboration with DeNA?

Yep.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    Announcement != done and working

That is all.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options

Yep.

I guess that kaputs darren's argument then!

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

That is all.

You just said you didn't think DeNA and Nintendo would work together to fix Nintendo's online.... which is exactly what they are doing.

Edit: you must be real strong considering how easily you move the goal posts.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

So, this was part of the press release, and they've gone on to re-confirm this a bit in different interviews and such:
    Nintendo and DeNA also plan to develop an online membership service that is accessible from smart devices, PC and Nintendo systems, such as the Nintendo 3DS portable system and the Wii U home console. The membership service, which is targeted to launch in the fall of 2015, will be built on DeNA's extensive experience and capabilities in online membership services.

But then:

That is all.

Somehow we got from "I don't think Nintendo will work with DeNa to fix their console online woes" to "because it hasn't happened now now now, it's likely that it will never happen, even though they just said it would happen."

Nintendo doesn't really have "online woes" anyway. They've got account woes. You can't log into any system and download from your digital account, with access being revoked upon logout, like many other services including Steam. As a side effect of this, transfers from old systems to new are difficult. They don't have cloud saves either.

However, outside of accounts they are pretty on-the-ball. They've got screenshot sharing and communities on Miiverse. You can upload screens directly to sites like tumblr and imgur. You can upload Mario Kart races to youtube. They've got demos. They support all forms of DLC and microtransactions. They've got apps for all the major video streaming services and they work well. Their Wii U web browser is awesome. They are very open and accepting of indie developers, to the point of it being a detriment because even crappy games can be easily released. Users can connect much more easily than in the Wii days, there are even two ways to friend people (directly in the list or via Miiverse). Online multiplayer simply works, third parties can offer all the features and matchmaking that they can on any other platform, but the problem is that they don't release those games for Wii U. Games like MH3U and Pokemon X/Y/OR/AS show that they can support basically anything devs want to do online.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited March 2015

So, this was part of the press release, and they've gone on to re-confirm this a bit in different interviews and such:
    Nintendo and DeNA also plan to develop an online membership service that is accessible from smart devices, PC and Nintendo systems, such as the Nintendo 3DS portable system and the Wii U home console. The membership service, which is targeted to launch in the fall of 2015, will be built on DeNA's extensive experience and capabilities in online membership services.

But then:

That is all.

Somehow we got from "I don't think Nintendo will work with DeNa to fix their console online woes" to "because it hasn't happened now now now, it's likely that it will never happen, even though they just said it would happen."

Nintendo doesn't really have "online woes" anyway. They've got account woes. You can't log into any system and download from your digital account, with access being revoked upon logout, like many other services including Steam. As a side effect of this, transfers from old systems to new are difficult. They don't have cloud saves either.

However, outside of accounts they are pretty on-the-ball. They've got screenshot sharing and communities on Miiverse. You can upload screens directly to sites like tumblr and imgur. You can upload Mario Kart races to youtube. They've got demos. They support all forms of DLC and microtransactions. They've got apps for all the major video streaming services and they work well. Their Wii U web browser is awesome. They are very open and accepting of indie developers, to the point of it being a detriment because even crappy games can be easily released. Users can connect much more easily than in the Wii days, there are even two ways to friend people (directly in the list or via Miiverse). Online multiplayer simply works, third parties can offer all the features and matchmaking that they can on any other platform, but the problem is that they don't release those games for Wii U. Games like MH3U and Pokemon X/Y/OR/AS show that they can support basically anything devs want to do online.

You can use html5 on the new 3ds browser to upload 3d images and screens to Dropbox now. You just have to make sure to view the site in desktop mode.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    When you say "3D images and screens" are talking about the same functionality the old 3DS has (some but not all games let you take in-game screenshots that get saved to the system memory or SD card), just now compatible with one more site, or does the n3DS have a similar, "upload a shot of the currently suspended game to a hosting site" functionality that the Wii U does?

• Options
    edited March 2015
    When you say "3D images and screens" are talking about the same functionality the old 3DS has (some but not all games let you take in-game screenshots that get saved to the system memory or SD card), just now compatible with one more site, or does the n3DS have a similar, "upload a shot of the currently suspended game to a hosting site" functionality that the Wii U does?

It has that(3ds image share I think it's called), but only for tumblr, facebook, or twitter. Which means you'll be sharing the images publicly. Not cool when you want a 3D photo of your balls*. The old 3ds wouldnt load the dropbox desktop site, so the only option is the new 3ds's browser. Not sure if photobucket or imgur works, but I know dropbox does.

*Not that I'm taking 3D photos of my balls or anything.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    This idea of having a unified Nintendo platform that you publish to, supporting various form-factors (like "handheld portable device" vs "television-connected home gaming rig"), makes the way the latest Smash Brothers turned out kind of interesting in retrospect. There might have been some preliminary "what do we have to do to make the same game run on two different hardwares" work done in there.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    This idea of having a unified Nintendo platform that you publish to, supporting various form-factors (like "handheld portable device" vs "television-connected home gaming rig"), makes the way the latest Smash Brothers turned out kind of interesting in retrospect. There might have been some preliminary "what do we have to do to make the same game run on two different hardwares" work done in there.

SSB 3DS and WiiU are two completely different codebases, right? I feel like they said that in an interview somewhere.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

Highly unlikely to be legit. Guy is a professional RPG site troll (though I suppose there's a chance he's gotten some ins somewhere in the year or two since the site I work for banned him).

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    Kupi wrote: »

SSB 3DS and WiiU are two completely different codebases, right? I feel like they said that in an interview somewhere.

I think they were speaking from the standpoint of what the hardware is actually capable of, and having to tune both experiences to be similar. Similar architecture would just make this even easier, though there would still be additional development for extra resources and the like.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options

Highly unlikely to be legit. Guy is a professional RPG site troll (though I suppose there's a chance he's gotten some ins somewhere in the year or two since the site I work for banned him).

He did get the last one right.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Fwiw, if they released a Super 3DS Player for the Wii U, I'd go buy the two of them right now just to play my 3DS stuff in my livingroom without craning my neck. Maybe the Gameboy player didn't live up to the Super Gameboy's legacy and that's why they haven't done it yet?

• Options
    ANYWAYS!
    I made myself stop playing pokemon and finally beat link between worlds... such a great game. Such a sweet ending.

Now I'm deep into Ocarina of Time 3D, and for the first time I'm reeeeally playing OoT. First time I ever got past Jabu Jabu and first time I became old Link.
    Holy fuck this is REALLY that good.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I should start playing Ocarina of Time 3D, since I've pretty much wrapped up Omega Ruby.

I just wish Crescent Isle would appear so I can catch Cresselia already. I've been loggin onto the internet and checking the mail almost every day. Such a bullshit event

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I saw a 2-pack of Professor Layton & the Diabolical Box and Golden Sun: Dark Dawn at Wal-Mart yesterday for $15. Debating if I should go back and pick it up. (Assuming its even there.)

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    I should start playing Ocarina of Time 3D, since I've pretty much wrapped up Omega Ruby.

I just wish Crescent Isle would appear so I can catch Cresselia already. I've been loggin onto the internet and checking the mail almost every day. Such a bullshit event

I'm glad I don't suffer from the post game completionist syndrome. I beat the elite four (eventually) and probably never touch it again, unless I'm replaying. My gf, on the other hand, maxes out the game clock.

• Options
    I got crescent island. I guess logging into PSS a lot helps refresh the mirage spots and things like that.
    The version specific legendaries are much more aggravating IMO.
    But the hidden pokes are far worse than legendaries. Heracross, Gorwlithe, mons like that.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »

I should play OoT 3D too. I wanted to play it in 3D for so long but it's got really deep 3D and a tight sweet spot but with my new 3DS it should be pretty spot on

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      It's not just (amazingly well done) 3D. The frame rate went up from 20 to a smooth 30, the textures and many models look a lot better. Link himself looks really great, and Sheik is now more feminine.

camo_sig2.png
    • Options
      HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
      I just beat the Deku Tree level and smashed a room of pots in Hyrule Castle, and I really like the game so far. My only gripe is the camera.

P2n5r3l.jpg
      Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    • Options
      Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
      The camera is vastly improved over the original. Also aiming isn't inverted only now. Options!

• Options
      skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      H*RH*R Registered User regular
      There's only one thing I would want out of a Nintendo Direct that there's a pretty good chance won't happen. Ugh.

I want the same thing. I fear it may never come.

Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
      3DS: 4184-2362-9697
      PSN: Skywarrd
    • Options
      You know how Miyamoto is famous for upending the tea table? He did so with the New 3DS -- at the very last minute to boot.
      Nintendo’s New 3DS (reviewed here) employs a special eye-tracking sensor that improves the way the handheld conveys its eponymous 3D trick. But according to Iwata, the feature emerged as the device was about to head into production, prompting an eleventh hour scramble.

“I think you’re probably familiar with the tales of how, in the late stages of development, Mr. Miyamoto always upends the tea table,” said Iwata. “So a similar thing happened this time. The hardware developers had designed a piece of hardware that they felt was at the final stage of prototyping, and they were bringing it to us for approval to begin moving forward with plans for manufacturing. But Mr. Miyamoto had seen that super-stable 3D just one week before, and he asked “Why aren’t we putting that in this system? If we don’t put this in it, there’s no point in making the system.”

Iwata says he was personally asked many times by his internal engineers, “Are we really going to do this?”

“But Nintendo is a company of Kyoto craftsman, and what we don’t want to do, is if we know we can make something better, we don’t want to leave that behind,” he explains. “So we were able to bring the super-stable 3D to reality by looking technically at what we can do to solve those challenges and finding those steps along the way to make it happen. This is where my background in technology is quite helpful, because it means that the engineers can’t trick me.”