As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NINTENDO 3DS: THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    And some orifices.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    KalnaurHandsome CostanzaCullen
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    And that's the top of the page, folks. :biggrin:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

Brainiac 8PolaritieStormwatcherAndy JoeDrezXerinkdarunia106
  • CullenCullen Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Flower Town is actually my favorite of the bunch. It feels like a pretty good mix of complexity and simplicity, and it's easy to constantly make progress.

I'm curious, though, do people you Streetpass with see exactly the pot that you've set? The easiest playflow for me involves immediately selling and replanting after a harvest, and I'm wondering if that means that I'm waving a bunch of dirt at everyone else.

They see the full grown version of the plant you've selected.

I loved flower town too - so much I got all plant breeds and colours to unlock the golden watering can. I wish they'd do some more of these games - Streetpass is my favourite thing about the 3DS and I'd love more games that heavily involve it.

Reynolds
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Aaaaaaaand the new update patches RegionThree.

Because according to Nintendo, people playing bought and paid for physical cartridges of out-of-region games are scum of the earth. I'm sad, but not surprised.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Brainleech
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Like I keep saying why they Region Locked it is nutty and stupid it only helps the 3rd party NO one else
    It's not going to help them

I can understand the e shop but still it's that persons money if they want to buy a game they cannot read then let them

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Like I keep saying why they Region Locked it is nutty and stupid it only helps the 3rd party NO one else
    It's not going to help them

I can understand the e shop but still it's that persons money if they want to buy a game they cannot read then let them

Oh, it's not just game's people cannot read.

There's English games that are released in America but not in Europe/PAL and visa versa. The Inazuma Eleven games, certain visual novels in the past, etc. have only been released in Japan + Europe, but not America while there's many RPGs that have been released in Japan + America, but not Europe.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    I can think of only one specific situation where region exploits helped kill a system. Saturn. However, that was like problem number 5 on a list of things that doomed it.

Now that games are released weeks or months apart in different regions as opposed to the old months or years, it seems so weird to go back to region locking.

MNC DoverBrainleechvagrant_winds
    I could understand back in the 90's and early 2000's why they had different region releases over months to years
    But then things like the internet and ebay took it out of that weird comic import shop into the hands of others or maybe the same places

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Anyone else have problems with a 3DS XL and SD cards? For whatever reason, mine routinely somehow detaches inside the 3DS. I just lost two Monster Hunter hunts in a row to "SD Card has been removed." It hadn't been. Incredibly frustrating.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    It's less that the Card is detaching and more that the Card is just failing. I had one that did the same thing. Replaced it and haven't had a problem since.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    Regionthree was just one of a group of browser exploits originally developed for use with a flashcart.

People were using browser exploits to run gameboy color roms and other unsigned code in addition to the flashcart.

There was no way that Nintendo was going to let that exploit stand, same reason that Sony removes any game from PSN that is used for an exploit until the exploit is fixed.

Nintendo should go ahead and remove the region lock, it serves no purpose.

AbsoluteZerochiasaur11PolaritiehomogenizedBrainleechNiceguyeddie616StormwatcherRiokenndarunia106
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    On StreetPass Games, it's funny how my opinion has changed with time.

When they first game out, Mii Force was my favorite, but as noted, 100 percenting it is tough to do. I lost interest, since so much is contingent on having the right color at the right time and all...

Flower Town has grown on me, while Warrior's Way is a bit of a slog. Monster Manor is one I like, but after getting the first ending, I don't really bother filling out the floors to completion any more. I never find any weapons like or better than my Dragon's Breath, so it just ends up being stalling for the most part; instead, I find the stairs as quickly as possible and move on. I'll go back and fill in the floors when I'm done, I guess.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    Stormwatcher
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    When I max out one weapon I try to work on another, which is getting hard now, because it can be tough to kill high level monsters with mid level weapons. But I've got 2 or 3 weapons that are level 19 or higher that I could swap between if I wanted.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Crap. I really don't wanna spend $$$ on another 3DS just to use the browser exploit to play other region games.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    Oh Xseed you shouldn't have
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXEVG9cAGfA

NeurotikaTalith
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    When I max out one weapon I try to work on another, which is getting hard now, because it can be tough to kill high level monsters with mid level weapons. But I've got 2 or 3 weapons that are level 19 or higher that I could swap between if I wanted.

I'm having a hard time with the monster manor game. I'm stuck at a boss that keeps killing me. I only have two mega potions, so I'm working on lower levels to try and build my weapons up more and hopefully get more potions.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Crap. I really don't wanna spend $$$ on another 3DS just to use the browser exploit to play other region games.

Or just buy a 3DS from the region that you want to play games for???? No need to use an exploit.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
    StormwatcherReynolds
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    darren66 wrote: »

Or just buy a 3DS from the region that you want to play games for???? No need to use an exploit.

That's silly. There is no good reason why someone should have to buy 3DS for another region.

Region locking is purely anti-consumer.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    KalnaurLD50
  • darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

That's silly. There is no good reason why someone should have to buy 3DS for another region.

That's a simple way to look at it. In reality different regions have different rules for things like pricing, content delivery, content moderation, etc.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
    edited March 2015

That's a simple way to look at it. In reality different regions have different rules for things like pricing, content delivery, content moderation, etc.

I can understand the logic that might go like...

- 10,000 Americans would buy and play this Japanese game.
    - Company like XSEED decides to localize it, expecting a decent profit.
    - Unfortunately 4,000 Americans didn't care about the language barrier and already imported it.
    - XSEED suffers financially on the localization and becomes gunshy about localizing future games.
    - Future games are not localized because a sizable player base will just import.
    - Those 6,000 consumers who won't/can't play games in Japanese now get nothing.

I don't know how much this might actually be the case, but it makes sense to me that a region lock could mean more games get localized. The companies that do the localization can be sure that any market for it in their own region will purchase their version of the game, because they can't get it anywhere else. It's good incentive.

Heck, even for games where the localization is already a given, it can screw with the numbers. You don't need to know Japanese to enjoy Mario, so if the release dates are drastically different then people who just can't wait might import it, and suddenly NOA has sold some percentage less of Mario than they expected, but NOJ's numbers show it's more popular there. Or whatever. People who couldn't wait for Monster Hunter 4 imported the previous version ages ago and got their fill, so Capcom sells less of 4G than they expected and decides not to localize the next one. That sort of thing.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    KalnaurcloudeagleLitany
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I can understand that line of thought, but I wonder how things are for the Vita considering that it has a lot more of the type of games that would normally attract importers.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Talith wrote: »
    I can understand that line of thought, but I wonder how things are for the Vita considering the has a lot more of the type of games that would normally attract importers.

Yeah, I'm not sure how it actually hashes out, and there are a lot of variables at play there. Vita is getting a ton more obscure/indie/small developer games made for it than 3DS, so maybe they're getting more localized anyway by virtue of volume. Maybe more of that localization is happening for Vita because fewer big name Vita games are being released, yet the system has ravenous fans, so localization companies see big opportunity to tap that market.

• McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular

I can understand the logic that might go like...

- 10,000 Americans would buy and play this Japanese game.
    - Company like XSEED decides to localize it, expecting a decent profit.
    - Unfortunately 4,000 Americans didn't care about the language barrier and already imported it.
    - XSEED suffers financially on the localization and becomes gunshy about localizing future games.
    - Future games are not localized because a sizable player base will just import.
    - Those 6,000 consumers who won't/can't play games in Japanese now get nothing.

I don't know how much this might actually be the case, but it makes sense to me that a region lock could mean more games get localized. The companies that do the localization can be sure that any market for it in their own region will purchase their version of the game, because they can't get it anywhere else. It's good incentive.

Heck, even for games where the localization is already a given, it can screw with the numbers. You don't need to know Japanese to enjoy Mario, so if the release dates are drastically different then people who just can't wait might import it, and suddenly NOA has sold some percentage less of Mario than they expected, but NOJ's numbers show it's more popular there. Or whatever. People who couldn't wait for Monster Hunter 4 imported the previous version ages ago and got their fill, so Capcom sells less of 4G than they expected and decides not to localize the next one. That sort of thing.

That is a portion of what killed the Saturn. Those diehard Sega fans and shmup fans just barely keeping the system alive started importing things faster than they were localized. Its a problem largely faced by smaller games with a significant portion of sales going to those diehard fans that might be willing to import.

The people so anxious to play the next Mario they'd play it in Japanese are a much smaller percentage of the overall people going to play compared to something like Atlus games.

TDawg
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Does anyone else make a point of washing their hands before handling their 3ds? I pretty much treat the thing as a religious artifact. Doesn't help that the MM 3DS amplifies smudges like nobodies business.

I also sometimes find myself staring at it for long periods of time.I know I know, It's only a matter of time before I lose my mind and give it a nickname like "my precious" or "my shiny precious" or "my shiny princess preciousness the third".

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    b1rdman
    edited March 2015
    Understand that I am not necessarily in favor of region locking, because I also see the downsides, and above all I don't have any information on how much these factors come into play. I imported Daigasso Band Brothers and The Last Window on DS, and homebrewed my Wii to play Xenoblade. Also turned it into a region free DVD player so I could watch the Professor Layton movie before they brought it to the US. So I've benefited from being region free a few times.

I'm just not willing to say it is 100% a bad thing with no possible redeeming qualities to it. I support a lot of those small localization studios like XSEED, I love what they're doing, and if it does benefit them then hey.

Does anyone else make a point of washing their hands before handling their 3ds? I pretty much treat the thing as a religious artifact. Doesn't help that the MM 3DS amplifies smudges like nobodies business.

I also sometimes find myself staring at it for long periods of time.I know I know, It's only a matter of time before I lose my mind and give it a nickname like "my precious" or "my shiny precious" or "my shiny princess preciousness the third".

I don't usually go that far, but I still use my launch 3DS so it's less pristine than it once was anyway. I definitely make sure my hands aren't greasy. Unlike consoles you can't just buy a new controller for it! I had friends utterly ruin controllers in college with their McDonalds fingers, I've seen the depths of what you can do.

But yeah in general I like to keep my devices nice, clean, unscratched.

UncleSporky on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    I can understand that line of thought, but I wonder how things are for the Vita considering the has a lot more of the type of games that would normally attract importers.

Yeah, I'm not sure how it actually hashes out, and there are a lot of variables at play there. Vita is getting a ton more obscure/indie/small developer games made for it than 3DS, so maybe they're getting more localized anyway by virtue of volume. Maybe more of that localization is happening for Vita because fewer big name Vita games are being released, yet the system has ravenous fans, so localization companies see big opportunity to tap that market.

That's probably it, considering even Sony's given up on making any more big-name games for Vita. At any given moment the Vita thread is a niche Japanese game paradise.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    If I just ate or something I'd wash my hands but otherwise nah.

Worrying about smudges would probably drive me mad.

Handsome CostanzaKalnaur
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I literally wash my hands every single time before playing. It seems OCD I know but I don't really have this problem in general, nor did I do it with my other consoles before the 3DS. I even had a white ds lite, the most dirt magnety device ever.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • FremFrem Registered User regular

I don't usually go that far, but I still use my launch 3DS so it's less pristine than it once was anyway. I definitely make sure my hands aren't greasy. Unlike consoles you can't just buy a new controller for it! I had friends utterly ruin controllers in college with their McDonalds fingers, I've seen the depths of what you can do.

But yeah in general I like to keep my devices nice, clean, unscratched.

I'm having a lot of trouble with this. My hands sweat a lot, and any oil or grease on the circle pad makes it super slick. Towards the end of a 30 minute hunt in MH4U, the circle pad is totally useless; I can't keep my thumb on it.

Haven't had this problem nearly as much in other games. MH4U might just be the first 3DS game I've played that has longer play sessions and near-constant stress.

Handsome Costanza
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I've thought about wearing those disposable latex gloves but that seems extreme.

edited March 2015
    I've thought about wearing those disposable latex gloves but that seems extreme.

I've actually done this once before. Just when handling the system for maintenence, not for actually playing a game. There's something to be said for being able to actually feel the buttons while playing.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm not one who worries about this kind of thing, but if you're going to wear gloves you gotta do it right

cqhzyhix92kz.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    KalnaurHandsome CostanzaXerinkcloudeagleAndy JoePolaritieIanatorLBD_NytetraynXavier1216
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I literally wash my hands every single time before playing. It seems OCD I know but I don't really have this problem in general, nor did I do it with my other consoles before the 3DS. I even had a white ds lite, the most dirt magnety device ever.

Nah nothing OCD about that.

Now if you wash your hands like ten times in a row according to a specific sequence of washing, soaping, and drying, then yeah, maybe OCD.

Handsome Costanza
    edited March 2015
    skeldare wrote: »
    I'm not one who worries about this kind of thing, but if you're going to wear gloves you gotta do it right

cqhzyhix92kz.jpg

Trying to hit those tiny buttons with those bigass gloves would probably resemble something like what an average game of surgeon simulator looks like.

Edit: speaking of, what the hell happened to Trauma Center? (I think it was called that?) Did it not sell enough to warrant continuing the franchise?

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Trauma Center had like five entries between 2005-2010, probably oversaturated the market. Plus, Atlus has been super busy with SMT/Etrian Odyssey the last few years.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    Handsome Costanza
    I want a new Trauma Center.

I have all the Wii ones...I haven't ever played the DS ones...I should really get them. Trauma Team is the best though.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Handsome Costanza
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    The DS was region free and I don't really think it failed horribly for that reason... /s
    Honestly, the Saturn failed because it was a terribly marketed nightmare to program that couldn't do 3D for shit and had a very small library, not because it was region free. That's just uncannily silly.

We've seen plenty of hugely successful region free systems to know that it's not bad for system makers and most game makers.

I could only play the wonderful Ouendan games I bought was thanks to the DS being region free.

I'm really amazed at the lenghts people go to justify bullshit, stupid, consumer hostile decisions by companies.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    ChiselphaneDonnictonbaudattitudeshoeboxjeddyEinzel
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I want a new Trauma Center.

I have all the Wii ones...I haven't ever played the DS ones...I should really get them. Trauma Team is the best though.

I too, wish for a 3DS Trauma Center.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
    If it wasn't for the region free DS, I wouldn't have been able to play the absolutely wonderful sequel to Hotel Dusk. (It was called Last Window)

I need more games starring Kyle Hyde, the most lovable jerk in the history of video games.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Stormwatcher
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The real truth is that there's so few of us importing games it probably wouldn't make that much of a difference in sales in most cases.

Though it also means there's very little motivation for Nintendo to change their minds, dangit.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    McFlynn