As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NINTENDO 3DS: THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    don't forget that on the DS the huge number of imported copies of Ouendan were almost directly related to Elite Beat Agents getting made.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    StormwatcherLindsay Lohanvagrant_winds
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The real root of why the DS line is now region free is the eShop. A cynical viewing of it is that Nintendo's online ineptitude meant they couldn't fathom any other way to lock the eShop to a specific region than to region lock the whole console. A more favorable reading would be that Nintendo was willing to do anything to please 3rd parties after the DS's flash card piracy fiasco and so they region locked the DSi as a favor to them.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Is the Shiek amiibo rare?

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Is the Shiek amiibo rare?

You can buy her from GS and Wallmart's website right now, so nah.

• McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    The DS was region free and I don't really think it failed horribly for that reason... /s
    Honestly, the Saturn failed because it was a terribly marketed nightmare to program that couldn't do 3D for shit and had a very small library, not because it was region free. That's just uncannily silly.

We've seen plenty of hugely successful region free systems to know that it's not bad for system makers and most game makers.

I could only play the wonderful Ouendan games I bought was thanks to the DS being region free.

I'm really amazed at the lenghts people go to justify bullshit, stupid, consumer hostile decisions by companies.

Well thats why multiple times I said it was only a portion of the reason the Saturn failed. Its a known thing, at least it was during the actual time when the failing was happening.

Hell, I'm pro-region free and I've said it before, in those multiple posts I just mentioned. No where did I go to any great length to justify it. We're just discussing the matter at hand, theres no reason to paint me like some corporate stooge because I'm discussing real things that happened.

McFlynn on
  • DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I must admit that I have become a bit spoiled by games on my iPhone. Not because of the way the play, certain titles are great for touch while others are not, but rather by how fast things move. Like, you open a game and you're good to go. Close it and zip to something else. Open it back up and you're ready again.

I'm really hoping Nintendo's next handheld has a faster processor to make this sort of speed possible. I get that all iOS stuff is downloaded which speeds things up, but there's no reason why Nintendo can't go that route down the line. Probably not, but a man can dream can't he?

I would not be able to count the number of times I have thought to myself, "I would have time to play a round of Smash right now if it didn't take so long to boot the game up", which is a big issue with portable systems. Perhaps the n3DS alleviates it, which usually means that its on Nintendo's radar for developing new systems, but its still an issue worth pointing out, because the n3DS isn't the standard model.

You could get the game loaded then just close the 3ds. It comes back from sleep mode instantly and the battery seems to last quite a long time, esp if you turn WiFi off.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    I must admit that I have become a bit spoiled by games on my iPhone. Not because of the way the play, certain titles are great for touch while others are not, but rather by how fast things move. Like, you open a game and you're good to go. Close it and zip to something else. Open it back up and you're ready again.

I'm really hoping Nintendo's next handheld has a faster processor to make this sort of speed possible. I get that all iOS stuff is downloaded which speeds things up, but there's no reason why Nintendo can't go that route down the line. Probably not, but a man can dream can't he?

I would not be able to count the number of times I have thought to myself, "I would have time to play a round of Smash right now if it didn't take so long to boot the game up", which is a big issue with portable systems. Perhaps the n3DS alleviates it, which usually means that its on Nintendo's radar for developing new systems, but its still an issue worth pointing out, because the n3DS isn't the standard model.

You could get the game loaded then just close the 3ds. It comes back from sleep mode instantly and the battery seems to last quite a long time, esp if you turn WiFi off.

Is there a difference in battery life between just closing the console and hitting the home button before closing the console?

Frem wrote: »
    DarkMecha wrote: »

Is there a difference in battery life between just closing the console and hitting the home button before closing the console?

No.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Handsome Costanza
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Someone is trying to claim that Nintendo is bringing the regular size 3DS to the US, based on this info:
    The regular N3DS is indeed in the FCC database.
    It doesn't look there's a permalink for search results, but here's a similar site with the same info: http://fccid.net/number.php?fcc=BKEKTR001&id=892468

If you want to see it on the real fcc site, go to:
    https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm
    Grantee Code: BKE
    Product Code: KTR001

The photos of the device are on short-term confidentiality until the 23rd of this month.

Looks like NoA is bringing the standard N3DS over!

KTR-001 is the Nintendo product code for the regular New 3DS, but really this only proves it was submitted to the FCC for approval at one point, and doesn't necessarily indicate an imminent release or anything.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    AbsoluteZerovagrant_winds
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    So Gamestop apparently put up a MM3DSXL bundle, And of course it's gone already. Be on the lookout for something similiar at other retailers. They guy on reddit who worked at the target distro center that had 54 MM3DSXL's went on vacation and got back the other day... the MM3DSXL's were still sitting there....important to note his center ships to stores only.

There was also a MH4U3DSXL bundle up but I'm sure thats gone too now. Keep hope alive. This is all speculation but it's possible they could ve holding those MM's back to be part of a second wave.

Edit: the MH4U bundle is still up!
    http://m.gamestop.com/catalog/product/120656

Edit2: note it's a bundle with smash bros amiibos and is $290
    Gogogogo!

Edit 3: aaaaaaand it's gone.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So Gamestop apparently put up a MM3DSXL bundle, And of course it's gone already. Be on the lookout for something similiar at other retailers. They guy on reddit who worked at the target distro center that had 54 MM3DSXL's went on vacation and got back the other day... the MM3DSXL's were still sitting there....important to note his center ships to stores only.

There was also a MH4U3DSXL bundle up but I'm sure thats gone too now. Keep hope alive. This is all speculation but it's possible they could ve holding those MM's back to be part of a second wave.

Gogogogo!

Oh what dicks. They're forcing you to buy Smash Brothers and Amiibos to get it. They know how bad folks will want it at this point, so they can just move some extra product.

What is this I don't even.
    ChiselphaneHandsome Costanzavagrant_windsReynolds
    edited March 2015
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Gogogogo!

Oh what dicks. They're forcing you to buy Smash Brothers and Amiibos to get it. They know how bad folks will want it at this point, so they can just move some extra product.

I think these things have been so hard to find that a lot of people are ok with that. At least you actually get something for your money. better than giving it to a scalper at least.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Its an extra cost of stuff you don't even want, I'm sure some people want smash sure, but someone with smash or who doesn't want smash and just wants the system itself is out of luck. Hoping for the special editions to come back in stock because they sold out so fast.

I missed out at the end of the day the Monsterhunter bundle sold out and now its more expensive because they tacked on stuff I have no interest in.
    Gamestop also has all rights to selling the bundle and none of them are in shops, they are online sold from one location.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
    Darkewolfe
    edited March 2015
    Rubycat wrote: »
    Its an extra cost of stuff you don't even want, I'm sure some people want smash sure, but someone with smash or who doesn't want smash and just wants the system itself is out of luck. Hoping for the special editions to come back in stock because they sold out so fast.

I missed out at the end of the day the Monsterhunter bundle sold out and now its more expensive because they tacked on stuff I have no interest in.
    Gamestop also has all rights to selling the bundle and none of them are in shops, they are online sold from one location.

I get it. But a lot of people HAVE to have one and their only other option is paying as much or more to a scalper for just the system. From that point of view it's a pretty good deal. Doesn't matter now though since it's sold out again.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    So I bought a SD card to replace my current. I dragged my files off the old SD card, booted the new one up and...I don't seem to be able to drag the files to it. It's definitely not locked, and I can't seem to format it either. I specifically bought one of the cards listed on Nintendo's site (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LFT3QG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Any suggestions?

Edit: Nevermind. Apparently sometimes the lock slider has to be halfway up instead of all the way up to be read/write. What a weird thing.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    Rubycat wrote: »

I get it. But a lot of people HAVE to have one and their only other option is paying as much or more to a scalper for just the system. From that point of view it's a pretty good deal. Doesn't matter now though since it's sold out again.

But a better day would be for GameStop to just sell them without the extra strong arming.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I think my R button may be dying. It's started to register only with significant force (pressing in past the click), if that. Help?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I think my R button may be dying. It's started to register only with significant force (pressing in past the click), if that. Help?

There's a blowing trick that gets floated around. You press your lips around the button and get a good seal, then blow hard. This worked for me, but only for a little while before the problem would come back.

Theorizing that, if it was briefly working then it must be a tiny piece of debris causing the problem, I then tried to suck.

The button has been perfect ever since.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    TDawgStormwatchercloudeagle
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Streetpass Games: I love 'em all except for Mii Force. Mii Force is still a fun game, but 100%ing it is bullshit. Like most shooters, all it takes it one stray bullet to ruin a perfect score...and even after a dozen playthroughs I have difficulty finding some of the hidden treasures.

Flower Town is my second-least favorite. It too is a fun little game, but it's a bit too complicated for its own good sometimes.

Mii Force is the easiest of the Streetpass things to 100%. The requirements for doing so are pretty low. You also earn a ticket just for clearing each level, which means you rack up a large number very quickly.

Pinch points:
    -Beat every level without getting hit once (most stages this is simple. For the tough ones, you just practice and/or brute force it by hiring a huge team to send bullets in every direction)
    -High scores (are honestly really really easy, you will get 99% when you're doing the 'don't get hit' and gems goals)
    -Gems (there's a good guide on Gamefaqs for WHERE they are, only a few are all at tricky. Only ONE gem in the entire game REQUIRES a specific color.)
    -Arcade mode (do this last. Hire a full team of 10. After all your practice, this is very doable. I got it first try)
    -All titles (ANY stage completion earns one title. So every other goal will work towards this. When you're done with everything else, just run the first stage again with each Streetpass you pick up and eventually you'll be done)

Warrior's Way requires massive grinding and people who also have the game to get all the tickets. Definitely the slowest game.
    Monster Mansion is fun, but kind of requires planning to get puzzle boxes and team ups going. Seems rather long as well.
    Flower Town is no pressure, but it takes a long time and is luck based. I suspect this will be finished 2nd.

Puzzles continually moves 100% out of reach.
    Find Mii is full of BS that simply robs you of great passes to slow your progress. Unless you want to waste a massive amount of time, it's also coin expensive. Because they don't actually tell you which rooms will require up to 3 trips, you'll probably need a guide here too.

There's a blowing trick that gets floated around. You press your lips around the button and get a good seal, then blow hard. This worked for me, but only for a little while before the problem would come back.

Theorizing that, if it was briefly working then it must be a tiny piece of debris causing the problem, I then tried to suck.

There....there's a joke there. I just know it.

StormwatcherPolaritieSwashbucklerXXgrim123DarkewolfeXerinkdarunia106
  • Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

Is it on the tip of your tongue?

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    sir she's gone from suck to blow!

no wait that's wrong

edited March 2015
    It's like sucking dicks and stuff!

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

We never mentions dicks on these forums. Please leave, sir.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      Darkewolfe
    • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
      Joke all you want about me performing oral sex on my 3DS. It really did work. :D

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
      PolaritieXerinkHandsome Costanza
      edited March 2015
      TimFiji wrote: »

*hangs head*

*walks out*

*looks back*

*single tear*
      Joke all you want about me performing oral sex on my 3DS. It really did work. :D
      It just needed a little TLC is all.

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      TimFijiStormwatcher
    • HounHoun Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »

*hangs head*

*walks out*

*looks back*

*single tear*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUWgE0EVQ9c

TimFijiStormwatcherHandsome Costanza
      Joking around aside... no dice :(

edited March 2015
      Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      I reluctantly upgraded.

Because it's not worth spending money to repair... and I can't play MH4U with the R button broken.

edited March 2015
      I reluctantly upgraded.

Because it's not worth spending money to repair... and I can't play MH4U with the R button broken.

Don't worry, the N3DS is everything the old one wished it could be.I'm sure you'll find that this new one is a whole lot better in virtually all aspects.

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
      I reluctantly upgraded.

Don't worry, the N3DS is everything the old one wished it could be.I'm sure you'll find that this new one is a whole lot better in virtually all aspects.

Size and faceplates, but otherwise yeah. (Not that size is a huge deal, my hands had a lot of empty space around my 3DS)

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
      I'm sad we can't use them as Mii fighters in Smash.

TDawg
      skeldare wrote: »

Oh. There's not really any use to having him in mii maker, is there? Can't use him for mini games or anything.

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
      You can make a little collection, which is kinda fun and I have done, but you start getting doubles of the more significant Nintendo figureheads pretty quickly.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
      Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    • LadyDustBunnyLadyDustBunny Registered User regular
      I wasn't interested in getting the new 3DS XL, since my 3DS works just fine....but the more I keep reading the more I'm looking forward to a great excuse to upgrade myself.

steam_sig.png

Origin: DustBunny777
      3DS: 2836-0103-2102
      M1GZYUT.jpg
      Raybies666 wrote: »
      wunderbar wrote: »

Is it on the tip of your tongue?
      I wasn't interested in getting the new 3DS XL, since my 3DS works just fine....but the more I keep reading the more I'm looking forward to a great excuse to upgrade myself.

You'll get a bit of a skewed opinion from all of us early adopters who mostly wanted the shiny new thing. If you're happy with the 3DS you have now than there isn't a massive reason to upgrade.

If you're coming from the original small 3DS I'd say there's more of an argument. Many people, not all, like the bigger screens on the bigger system. if you have the old XL it's a harder to justify upgrade. the C-stick is really good in games that support it, but those are few. the faster processor is faster, but not world changing. Amiibo support is very meh. They're cool, just way less practical on a portable system.

The reason I upgraded is I want to play Xenoblade Chronicles on it, which requires the new system. If I didn't want to play that I wouldn't have upgraded right away.

• LadyDustBunnyLadyDustBunny Registered User regular
      Yeah I'm starting to think I might just wait it out for either the next iteration or if there is a new game that cannot be played on my 3DS (and yes, it's the original). It can just be super exciting to see the shiny new ones at the store. And the bigger screens do make me want them even more. Meh, I'll wait for now. I'm also not super into the amiibo thing.

steam_sig.png

Origin: DustBunny777
      3DS: 2836-0103-2102
      M1GZYUT.jpg
      Yeah I'm starting to think I might just wait it out for either the next iteration or if there is a new game that cannot be played on my 3DS (and yes, it's the original). It can just be super exciting to see the shiny new ones at the store. And the bigger screens do make me want them even more. Meh, I'll wait for now. I'm also not super into the amiibo thing.

I don't know if there will be many games that *require* the new systems, but what i think you'll see is that there will be a bunch of games that will control waaaay better with the c-stick as an option. I'm playing Monster Hunter 4 right now and I can't imagine trying to play it on the old 3DS without the second stick. That might be what ends up pushing a lot of people to upgrade. Not so much an absolute requirement, but it'll just make it better enough.

Xavier1216