As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NINTENDO 3DS: THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Some of these survey questions are oddly designed. Specifically the section about "how familiar are you with these franchises." Like, I'm super familiar with several of them but I'm not ACTIVELY playing them...like what are the chances I'd be playing a Legacy of Kain game since there hasn't been a new one in forever (Nosgoth does not count at all)? But I feel like checking "played before but not anymore" is a strike against the game, when in reality I would of course loooooooooooooooooooooove a new Kain.

So are people going to be getting Codename STEAM? I've not seen much chatter about it of late.

I am super, duper excited for Codename STEAM. Been loving the demo, one of the fresher takes I've seen in a good while on turn based strategy games.

vamen
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Im concerned about STEAM's replayability considering the whole no leveling system thing. Starfox 64 it aint, I'm gonna need a bit more incentive to replay it besides getting a higher score.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    (Thoughts from the DEMO)

I was hoping STEAM would be more like Valkyria Chronicles in it's mechanics. It's almost there, but not quite.

I didn't like that movement and shooting shared the same pool.

I also didn't like that while positional weakpoints were there, shot placement didn't matter. Part of the risk/reward of Valkyria was aiming for headshots to get crits and hoping you didn't miss, or settling for center mass to make sure all your shots counted.

It just felt a little too gimmicky to me.

Also, no vehicles?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I actually lost enthusiasm for Codename: S.T.E.A.M. after playing the demo. Now, it's probably too early to judge, since I really wouldn't try to make an accurate judgment on, say, the first three chapters of any given Fire Emblem game. But the game just felt sloooooooow. Fine-tuning the shot angles on my turn, and waiting for the aliens to (mostly invisibly) finish their own movements just felt like a plod, and I'm not enough into steampunk / historical fantasy for the plot to keep my attention.

I'll give them props for a clever "hot vs. cold" dynamic with the steam-based humans vs. ice-based aliens.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    Venture IndustryEmperor_Z
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    (Thoughts from the DEMO)

I was hoping STEAM would be more like Valkyria Chronicles in it's mechanics. It's almost there, but not quite.

I also didn't like that while positional weakpoints were there, shot placement didn't matter. Part of the risk/reward of Valkyria was aiming for headshots to get crits and hoping you didn't miss, or settling for center mass to make sure all your shots counted.

Also, no vehicles?

I'm pretty sure where you aim absolutely matters. It's quite possible to miss the weakpoints or miss entirely due to bad aiming.

I also really like that they combined movement and attack as one resource. You can move about the map freely and as long as you return to your starting point you won't use any steam. Unless you perform an action or trigger enemy overwatch. Which adds an interesting bit of risk/reward to movement. You could accidentally screw yourself out of being able to attack because you got too greedy grabbing coins.

Also, there are vehicles in the game.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Handsome CostanzaChiselphane
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Im concerned about STEAM's replayability considering the whole no leveling system thing. Starfox 64 it aint, I'm gonna need a bit more incentive to replay it besides getting a higher score.

No stat leveling but there seems to be a pretty substantial variety of characters/boilers/weapon combos that will lead to really interesting strategies. And you get those new pieces of equipment from accumulating your score, so in a sense it is like leveling.

Also, there are specific hitboxes and chances to miss. I made a shot an enemy when it just slightly ducked it's head for a second and the shot missed entirely. And yeah, we've seen vehicles and turrets in some of the trailers. Not including the ABE mecha.

Tairu on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Venture IndustryHandsome Costanza
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Charger not included

Hue hue hue...

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    God damn it. I just got mine from Play-Asia a few days ago.

rndmhero
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    God damn it. I just got mine from Play-Asia a few days ago.
    It'd be nice if Nintendo would announce stuff instead of spontaneously putting it up for sale.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
    ReynoldsrndmheroH*R
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    (Thoughts from the DEMO)

Also, no vehicles?

Personally I think it blows Valkyria Chronicles clean out of the water. Of course, I also don't think Valkyria Chronicles was very good, very much not a fan of action point pool activation systems and the way its objectives were based purely on number of turns and nothing else. Lead to a lot of silly things like scout rushes, just not my thing.

Inquisitor on
    Donnicton
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao-spB1Pcn8

Yayifications for GUMI's inclusion.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Niceguyeddie616
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have never played Valkyria Chronicles only know of it from the art, fan art, discussions and lore.
    I liked how Codename S.T.E.A.M. was kind of like X com

It's kind of neat that Mirai sings the Se Ga like it was in the 90's but I wonder when the game comes to NA will it still have the j-pop?

• Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao-spB1Pcn8

Yayifications for GUMI's inclusion.

I was already sold on this game since I played the crap out of the 2 Project DIVA games, but now that I've seen the Miku themed Puyo Puyo stuff, I'm DOUBLE sold. :biggrin:
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I have never played Valkyria Chronicles only know of it from the art, fan art, discussions and lore.
    I liked how Codename S.T.E.A.M. was kind of like X com

It's kind of neat that Mirai sings the Se Ga like it was in the 90's but I wonder when the game comes to NA will it still have the j-pop?

It should, the Vita games still had all their original songs.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    No big surprise but XSeed announced a summer release of Senran Kagura 2 in the west.

http://gematsu.com/2015/03/senran-kagura-2-deep-crimson-coming-west-summer

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    NeurotikaBrainleechvagrant_windsDarth_Mogs
  • H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    skeldare wrote: »

Now if they could just start selling the standard size N3DS and faceplates there we'll be all set.

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
    Neurotika
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Well I ordered that new charging cradle and a refurbed wiimote+/nunchuk combo to make shipping worth it. Having the system up vertically seems cool for space saving on desks but I hope it isn't too easy to tip over.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    That cradle actually looks awesome. Not awesome enough to pay for shipping for it, hopefully it comes to stores at some point (which I know is a wonderful joke in itself)

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Woo! Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold coming to NA this summer.

Kalnaur
    edited March 2015
    Woo! Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold coming to NA this summer.

Beat me to it. That's what I get for looking for a source other than kotaku.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    vamen
    edited March 2015
    I'm not a huge fan of Kotaku...
    ...check that, I'm not a fan of anything Brian Ashcraft posts (we get it, you like Japan)...
    ...but I do notice that if I go to Kotaku first, 90% of the time when I check other sites, they'll have the same updates as Kotaku, only a few hours later. Almost without fail.

vamen on
    Kalnaur
  • H*RH*R Registered User regular
    I'll have to put EOU:2 on the list. I've decided to get Untold 1 at some point when it's $15 again. I need my RPGs to have stories and characters and it seems the regular EO's don't have that. PQ is showing me this style of game is interesting to me, so I'll have to give Untold 1 a look.

Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
    KalnaurMadican
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    ...check that, I'm not a fan of anything Brian Ashcraft posts (we get it, you like Japan)...
    ...but I do notice that if I go to Kotaku first, 90% of the time when I check other sites, they'll have the same updates as Kotaku, only a few hours later. Almost without fail.

Yeah, it's not all bad. For example I like Fahey's action figure reviews. But good lord bashcraft and Naythan Grayson are insufferable.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
    vamen
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

There's been a minor crisis in online games journalism, as the previews n' reviews model doesn't quite work anymore now that there's drastically less AAA games being released, and it's hard for most indie games to get the all-important pageviews. Kotaku's done a pretty great job of coming up with other gaming-related stuff to write about it, even if a lot of it is "here's the 47th crazy possible exploit discovered in Smash Bros."

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    @cloudeagle - I actually really dig all that stuff, and I've really been enjoying the weekly videos of people doing wild stuff in games (usually it's GTA and BF4). What I don't like is coming across stuff like, "In Japan, they eat pizza slower than Americans!" and "Japanese people don't fully close their fist when they give fist bumps" and such. I mean, I'm on a site called "Kotaku" so I expect news from over there, and real news I don't mind at all, especially as big a fan of JRPGs as I am. But the level of 'news' that the Ashcraft guy posts tends to just makes me >:(

@h*r - Vagrant_Winds actually sold me on picking up the first Etrian Odyssey Untold a few weeks ago and I've been completely unable to put it down. It's been tickling me in all the right places. I'm not even a big first person dungeon crawler sort of lover, but EOU is rapidly becoming one of my favorite 3ds titles of all time. Highly recommended.

So people are starting to swap backplates out and are posting pictures. I'd like to see an MM3DS with a black backplate but it seems that no one's tried that yet

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/kgutp (various LE mixes)
    http://imgur.com/sths933(red+Gold backplate, not bad IMHO.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
    @cloudeagle - I actually really dig all that stuff, and I've really been enjoying the weekly videos of people doing wild stuff in games (usually it's GTA and BF4). What I don't like is coming across stuff like, "In Japan, they eat pizza slower than Americans!" and "Japanese people don't fully close their fist when they give fist bumps" and such. I mean, I'm on a site called "Kotaku" so I expect news from over there, and real news I don't mind at all, especially as big a fan of JRPGs as I am. But the level of 'news' that the Ashcraft guy posts tends to just makes me >:(

The problem there is that Kotaku devotes itself to Japan "programming" for four hours in the middle of the night, so they have to resort to a lot of fluff to feed all that. Good ole Gawker Media and their crazy ideas.

vamenHandsome Costanza
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    http://www.siliconera.com/2015/03/10/etrian-odyssey-untold-2-fafnir-knight-coming-west-summer/
    Etrian Odyssey Untold 2: The Fafnir Knight is a remake of the second DS game in Atlus’ dungeon crawling series. Like Etrian Odyssey Untold before it, Atlus added a story to follow where you lead the chosen Fafnir Knight who is a childhood friend of Princess Arianna of Caledonia. Sworn to protect Princess Arianna, you set out in the Yggdrasil Labyrinth along with Flavio, a hero of the Midgard Library, and a fixed party. Here’s a look at the opening animation.

Players can choose story mode or classic Etrian Odyssey 2 with updated graphics, new dungeon layouts, and system changes made for the Untold games. Atlus also included multiple difficulty modes ranging from Picnic to Expert designed for those that beat the Yggdrasil Labyrinth before.

Etrian Odyssey Untold 2: The Fafnir Knight will be released this summer for $49.99.

The officialness. Also Atlus Cartridge Tax confirmed.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Atlus tax is somewhat more palatable.with regular Atlus sales.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Of course. It's a Vocaloid song rhythm game. It'll be all Vocaloid songs. That's kinda the point.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Someone needs to explain "Atlus Tax" to me . . .

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

edited March 2015
    Kalnaur wrote: »

They are a small company so they charge more to export their games to America. They did this back when they didn't sell that many in NA and the practice continues despite their success in this market. I think.

Edit: or maybe it's because they use a higher quality cartridge. I can't remember which one.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.

They are a small company so they charge more to export their games to America. They did this back when they didn't sell that many in NA and the practice continues despite their success in this market. I think.

Edit: or maybe it's because they use a higher quality cartridge. I can't remember which one.

http://talking-time.net/showpost.php?p=1876164&postcount=423

(Nich Maragos is an editor at Atlus)

Because we're getting voice acting in recent titles(presumably as a result of fan bitching), Atlus uses higher capacity cartridges with their releases.

I don't know what the exact internal price model for these things are with Nintendo, but regardless, Atlus is "passing the savings onto the customer", thus the birth of the "Atlus Tax".

Donnicton wrote: »

http://talking-time.net/showpost.php?p=1876164&postcount=423

(Nich Maragos is an editor at Atlus)

Because we're getting voice acting in recent titles(presumably as a result of fan bitching), Atlus uses higher capacity cartridges with their releases.

I don't know what the exact internal price model for these things are with Nintendo, but regardless, Atlus is "passing the savings onto the customer", thus the birth of the "Atlus Tax".

Yeah so basically it's the cartridge thing.I don't know where I heard all that other stuff. Maybe a different game?

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Except that Persona Q is still $49.99 on eShop when there's no cartridge involved.

Atlus tax is the reason I haven't bought it.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
    Except that Persona Q is still $49.99 on eShop when there's no cartridge involved.

That I'm chalking up not wanting to self-sabotage sales of the physical version.

Kalnaur
    Atlus is definitely successful, but on such a small scale they probably need help with the licensing and localization costs.

I forget, was there a hit they had bigger than Catherine? I remember they went nuts with joy because it cracked 200,000, but for a typical AAA company nowadays that would be an almost apocalyptic failure.

edited March 2015
    Donnicton wrote: »

That I'm chalking up not wanting to self-sabotage sales of the physical version.

Which , you know, completely destroys the reasoning behind buying it digitally. That is unless it's the only way you can get it.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Reynolds
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Digital costs being what they are is infuriating. Why the hell does it have a premium over the physical medium that often enough comes with all manner of preorder bonuses, goodies, and whatnot?

7244qyoka3pp.gif