As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who likes [books]? I like books! Let's read!

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I got that for secret shamblers and still haven't read it.

Sounds like a good read on the plane to east.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    20575425.jpg
    Welcome to Trace Italian, a game of strategy and survival! You may now make your first move.

Isolated by a disfiguring injury since the age of seventeen, Sean Phillips crafts imaginary worlds for strangers to play in. From his small apartment in southern California, he orchestrates fantastic adventures where possibilities, both dark and bright, open in the boundaries between the real and the imagined. As the creator of Trace Italian—a text-based, role-playing game played through the mail—Sean guides players from around the world through his intricately imagined terrain, which they navigate and explore, turn by turn, seeking sanctuary in a ravaged, savage future America.

Lance and Carrie are high school students from Florida, explorers of the Trace. But when they take their play into the real world, disaster strikes, and Sean is called to account for it. In the process, he is pulled back through time, tunneling toward the moment of his own self-inflicted departure from the world in which most people live.

Brilliantly constructed, Wolf in White Van unfolds in reverse until we arrive at both the beginning and the climax: the event that has shaped so much of Sean’s life. Beautifully written and unexpectedly moving, John Darnielle’s audacious and gripping debut novel is a marvel of storytelling brio and genuine literary delicacy.

This novel, written by John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats, is one of the best I've ever read

It is barely over 200 pages so I had to limit myself on tearing through it just one day

Okay I'm buying this for my library.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    I'm glad y'all worked that out, otherwise I was going to suggest a fight to the death at the LibraryDome™

Wait no, this is much better, staple removers at dawn!

Man I'm a librarian. I run a library. I got people under me that do my staple removing! :snap: :)

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    I'm glad y'all worked that out, otherwise I was going to suggest a fight to the death at the LibraryDome™

Wait no, this is much better, staple removers at dawn!

Man I'm a librarian. I run a library. I got people under me that do my staple removing! :snap: :)

That won't help you when you're facing off alone against the battle-hardened Librarianator Peen on the arena floor

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I love the malazan books, but I really lost motivation with the book before reapers gale.

Bonehunters was pretty good

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I'm still working through The Name of The Wind

My impressions still seem to be holding; it's pretty standard fantasy stuff, but the way it's told is fun, and on top of that the prose itself is amazing

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I love the malazan books, but I really lost motivation with the book before reapers gale.

All of the stuff about Lether and the Edur took some time to hook me.

• Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
    Currently rereading the colour of magic, as well as being halfway through three different books that got packed away during my move and frustratingly I can't find which box they're in.

Yes Please is in there somewhere and I'm really enjoying it. Must move on to Tina Fey once I've finished that.

• Options

All of the stuff about Lether and the Edur took some time to hook me.

Me too, but when you have Tehol, Bugg, and Ublala Pung it was most entertaining.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I'm still working through The Name of The Wind

My impressions still seem to be holding; it's pretty standard fantasy stuff, but the way it's told is fun, and on top of that the prose itself is amazing

Pretty much this. If you actually just lay out the bones of the story they sound horrible but the journey is made very enjoyable by the scenery.

It sounds like an enormous backhanded compliment but I really think it takes a lot of skill to make it work.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Skimmed through the last thread and found a bunch of books that I'm interested in. Especially those footnote heavy books like S and Infinite Jest. Those are better read in a physical format I assume?

I also visited my local dollar store and found a book section. They have a small selection of best sellers? which is pretty cool. I picked up The Revisionists by Thomas Mullen. It's about time travel I think. Has anyone heard of or read this book?

Armoroc on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Infinite Jest is best read in no format

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I would recommend reading IJ in physical format, but I'm a huge physical format snob anyways, so take that with a grain of salt

Endnotes can frequently work well digitally, and they allow you to flip to them quicker than they would in print, but there's a couple of them in IJ (as well as a few other pages) that are useful reference points, and you'll want to refer back to later

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I recommend digital for IJ. Easier footnotes, built in dictionary, and sheer size.

• Options
    My kindle keyboard has had a frozen screen for the past couple months now. I think that's gonna be my first obstacle for reading a bunch of books. Ill try a sample of Infinite Jest digitally and see if I like reading it that way.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Infinite Jest is best read in no format

Much like your posts.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
  • Options
    Damn... the screen is broken from the inside. Someone must have sat on my kindle or something :(

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    you put too many books on it.

they were too heavy

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    people talk up the whole digital infinite jest thing but i don't think it works at all

infinite jest is just way too huge

you need like, the physical object in front of you to give you a sense of the kind of undertaking you've committed yourself too

anyway i've been reading some of foster wallace's other stuff, his short stories and journalism

it's better than infinite jest because you can skip over the boring parts

i have also found that the key to appreciating him is to ignore all that stuff about how he's the voice of a generation and has this trenchant insight into american culture and instead just accept that he's kind of a narcissistic pedant who is only really capable of talking about himself. once you allow yourself not to like him he becomes much more palatable

the way he gets all creepily voyeuristic about other people's health problems is still awful but in general i get more out of him when reading him as a character study rather than actual meaningful social commentary

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    And besides, how are you gonna show people how clever and serious a book person you are if you read a digital version? Where are you gonna display that? You'd have to go round to everyone telling them you read Infinite Jest, rather than letting the presence of the book wow them into knowing how great you are.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    Infinite Jest was fine in the physical format. Put one bookmark in the back, one in the front, read the footnotes as they show up. They're all in sequence so there's no need to keep turning back and forth. Dictionary-wise I don't remember too much weird stuff.

and, uh, take your time. I don't know about the voice of a generation stuff, but it's a pretty great book if you're sensitive to what it's trying to do

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I read Infinite jest for months and felt like I wasn't getting. I should buy a physical copy. Then, I will know I am getting nowhere.

I do enjoy the Malazan books. I'm about 60 % through reapers gale and it feels like things are finally happening.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Okay so far The Slow Regard of Silent Things reads a lot like Rothfuss trying to do a Neil Gaiman impression and not quite pulling it off

• Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    Wolf In White Van was amazing; John Darnielle has this weird ability to look despair in the face and create something oddly uplifting out of it.

Also someone was asking about Saga: you should drop whatever you are doing and read Saga right now.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I don't know if this is one of those communities that loves Brandon Sanderson, or one that hates him, but I just finished Words of Radiance last night, and it was pretty boss. But if people here aren't fans, I'm content to just love his work quietly.

I'm not sure where to go next. Everything left in my Book Heap is stuff that I feel obligated to read for Education and Cultural Enrichment, but that doesn't actually appeal to me for entertainment much. That, and a couple big Tad Williams bricks, that I don't want to jump to after finishing a similarly huge Sanderson brick, without something a little lighter in between as a palate cleanser.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I don't know if this is one of those communities that loves Brandon Sanderson, or one that hates him, but I just finished Words of Radiance last night, and it was pretty boss. But if people here aren't fans, I'm content to just love his work quietly.

I'm not sure where to go next. Everything left in my Book Heap is stuff that I feel obligated to read for Education and Cultural Enrichment, but that doesn't actually appeal to me for entertainment much. That, and a couple big Tad Williams bricks, that I don't want to jump to after finishing a similarly huge Sanderson brick, without something a little lighter in between as a palate cleanser.

Opinions here are mixed. I enjoyed those books.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Sanderson fan here. If you want more of his stuff that's not such a brick, and happen to be a fan of superpowers, then check out his Reckoner series. It's currently on Book 2 out of 3.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    sanderson's okay, but after reading a lot of his stuff it all kind of blends together at times.

also words of radiance spoilers
    why the fuck is nightblood showing up, like of all things

i'm glad jasnah's not dead though

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    sanderson's okay, but after reading a lot of his stuff it all kind of blends together at times.

also words of radiance spoilers
    why the fuck is nightblood showing up, like of all things

i'm glad jasnah's not dead though

Stormlight and Mistborn and Warbreaker spoilers in here.
    The Stormlight Archives are more heavily into Sanderson's Cosmere multiverse than the other books. Hoid himself has shown up in nearly all of his novels aside from the YA ones. Others make appearances in the interludes, such as the first book with the Purelake? One of them was from the Mistborn world. And the sword instructor in the second book, interestingly enough, is Vasher himself.

The Cosmere itself is kind of interesting. It's very subtle and a lot of it is from talking directly to the author for confirmation, but he leaves plenty of hints. The Shards are the gods of it, of which Odium is one of the worst. Sazed is a Shard too now as Harmony, as of the third Mistborn book, and he's a unique one in that he commands two Shards so he scares Odium.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I mean, I don't mind that stuff on the peripheral of his world building

It feels really weird when some of that stuff is way up in front though

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Sanderson's books tend to be pretty predictable but he still manages to make them very entertaining.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I'm reading 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson, and the guy keeps throwing existential crises my way by describing the sheer impossible size of space. A small interlude about interstellar travel just did a great job of putting the universe to scale and we are all so impossibly tiny and it's so-likely-as-to-be-certain that humanity will never live by another star,and that is so depressing to me.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Sanderson has a niche pretty much to himself.

He doesn't write pretty prose; it's not bad at all, but it's not really enjoyable for its own sake, and contains virtually no memorable, quotable material. He doesn't write great characters; if I was making a list of my favorite SFF characters, I don't think that there are any Sanderson characters that I'd consider putting on it. His overall plots tend towards "there is a big evil guy, and we should probably do something about that"; he sometimes tries to include a little moral ambiguity, but it's typically brief and passing. While the overall trend in SFF writing is to write about dark and gritty things happening in somewhat realistically terrible places, Sanderson prefers to write about dark and gritty settings where good people are able to come out on top.

In some ways, Sanderson reminds me of Jim Butcher - neither is a particularly great author, neither really makes any pretense at it, both like having systems of magic that can be explored scientifically, and both write fun stories. That's what you pay for, that's what you get. Sanderson isn't trying to write the next Song of Ice and Fire; he's trying to write the literary equivalent of Star Wars, and that's perfectly OK.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am a third of the way through Deadhouse Gates. Progress is very slow because I barely get any free time for reading. But really enjoying it. Jesus it's bleak though, and this is only book 2 of 10.

Also I miss
    Paran and Kruppe.
    I hope they come back.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I am a third of the way through Deadhouse Gates. Progress is very slow because I barely get any free time for reading. But really enjoying it. Jesus it's bleak though, and this is only book 2 of 10.

Also I miss
    Paran and Kruppe.
    I hope they come back.

They do. And if you think it's bleak now, hoo boy.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Yeah buddy, bleak is the order of the day for a lot of that series.

• Options
    Yeah buddy, bleak is the order of the day for a lot of that series.

Why whatever do you mean?
    Toc has the easiest life of them all!

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Well that sucks.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
This discussion has been closed.