As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who likes [books]? I like books! Let's read!

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    Quoth wrote: »
    I went looking for some Pratchett over the weekend, Oxfam Books had sold out but my regular market bookseller had a few out, so I came away with Night Watch because I'd seen people talking about Vimes as a character. I'll naturally be looking out for more.

I actually would not read Night Watch first. It's arguably one of the best, but you won't have enough of a connection to the characters for the events to have maximum impact.

Okay, cool, I can look out for an earlier one before I start that.. any suggestions where I should get in?

Guards! Guards! since you've already got Night Watch. Technically the order for the Watch books is:

Guards! Guards! (1989)
    Men at Arms (1993)
    Feet of Clay (1996)
    Jingo (1997)
    The Fifth Elephant (1999)
    Night Watch (2002)
    Thud! (2005)
    Snuff (2011)

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Awesome, thanks!

forumsig.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I went looking for some Pratchett over the weekend, Oxfam Books had sold out but my regular market bookseller had a few out, so I came away with Night Watch because I'd seen people talking about Vimes as a character. I'll naturally be looking out for more.

I actually would not read Night Watch first. It's arguably one of the best, but you won't have enough of a connection to the characters for the events to have maximum impact.

Okay, cool, I can look out for an earlier one before I start that.. any suggestions where I should get in?

Guards! Guards! is first and is generally consistent with the later books. There are basically some minor retcons here and there in later books, but they tend to be fairly minor bits and it's generally pretty good anyways.

The one after is Men At Arms and I will always love it because it was the first I read.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I think Mort is a great starting point. I feel it's when everything about Discworld and Pratchett just gelled.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Is there a Malazan timeline somewhere? I'm about halfway through House of Chains and with all these people living for thousands of years and stuff, it's sometimes hard to keep track of what events they're referring to happened when. Like the chaining of the Crippled God and stuff.

@Tofystedeth there's a Tor re-read and a wiki, but I'm on my phone, and those links are on my tablet.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Rereading my post, and I can't believe I used "and stuff" in two consecutive sentences. Then again, I just made a post in the MMO forum that had two "or something"s.
    This is why I'm not a writer.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If anyone is interested in doing that whole not reading white dudes for a year challenge, and likes fantasy/SF, I put together a list of non-male authors in my sig

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Im a ways in to The Wind Up Bird Chronicle... and so far i don't like it. Is the main character just a vehicle for short stories of all the other characters that show up or does this ever tie into anything?

The main character is definitely partly a cipher/vehicle - but there is an arc to his story. I don't want to spoil anything, but if you're curious on my take
    The main character seems to be sleepwalking through his life, missing huge things happening under his nose - the events of the book cumulatively amount to the catalyst that wakes him up. It's only then that you start to get a read on his personality. And then the book ends before he does anything.

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular

I bought all the Watch books on kindle. I have gone through Guards! Guards!, Men at Arms, and Feet of Clay i finished up at around 4am this morning.

I love these books. I have been wanting to post my reactions to various things but i couldnt be bothered to put to the books down to do so.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    I really enjoyed The Wind up Bird book. It's the only work of that author's I have read. I don't really know what happened though

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular

I did the same thing. Great book. Although it was weird working my way backwards through the Vimes/City Watch Saga

• Options
    I really enjoyed The Wind up Bird book. It's the only work of that author's I have read. I don't really know what happened though

To me the book was all about potential, in every sense. We're seeing the compression of the spring, before the action happens. I mean, it's even got wind-up in the title!

• Options
    Wiki wrote:
    Random Quote

"Timeline? Yeah, whatever."
    ―Steven Erikson, when questioned about the timeline in a Reddit AMA
    Well that's promising! :razz:
    Thanks, I'll dig around a bit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    If anyone is interested in doing that whole not reading white dudes for a year challenge, and likes fantasy/SF, I put together a list of non-male authors in my sig

I'm not going to take it to that extreme but this is still a great list, thanks!

• Options

Needs more Le Guin but still a pretty awesome list.

I just reread the Earthsea books a few months ago and it is amusing to me that the only white folk in the entire book are the crazy barbarian islands that nobody goes to because they're fucking crazy bastards.

Also pretty sure 30+ year old me got totally different things out of those books than 13 year old me who first read them.

• Options
    The list is still in progress so recs are welcome

I wasn't a big Earthsea fan, but "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" is one of the most amazing stories I've ever read

• Options
    The list is still in progress so recs are welcome

I wasn't a big Earthsea fan, but "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" is one of the most amazing stories I've ever read

Her Earthsea stuff is really austere to me and has a kind of beauty because of that. They're interesting but very much feel like a "Famous Author does genre x". It has some interesting takes on genre tropes but seems to be missing some of the really great ideas that are all throughout her science fiction work. That is where I think her best work lies.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Honestly the thing I loved most about the EarthSea world was (sort of spoilers)
    the bleak conception of the afterlife. Reading it as a kid, the ideawas utterly unlike anything else I'd come across, and the whole world seemed tinged with this ... nihilistic acceptance, because of it. And as DevoutlyApathetic says, this gives it an elegant austerity, a long way from the sometimes over-the-top 'colour' of a lot of fantasy.
    One of the reasons I disliked her later return to the series is that she 'fixed' that feature by making it an aberration, and since for me it was one of the things that really set those novels apart from a lot of YA fantasy, I wasn't a fan.

tynic on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular

I'll do this if I can have an exception for my book club books! Because... I like my book club. Awesome list, I'll throw some recs up myself!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options

I'll do this if I can have an exception for my book club books! Because... I like my book club. Awesome list, I'll throw some recs up myself!

I mean, it's not my challenge, and it's a wholly personal thing so it's not like there are any repercussions or whatever

Doing it is its own reward, etc.

So do it to whatever degree you feel like doing it

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Although I actually might just take it as No White Dudes cause there are lots of dudes of other nationalities who are also underrepresented

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Will Karsa and Icarium just fight already, please?

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Will Karsa and Icarium just fight already, please?

If that's how you feel, imagine how Karsa feels

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    My niece is in the sixth grade. She enjoys reading. I decided what the hell I should be nicer to her (she's a turd sometimes).

So I thought, maybe I ought to get her reading some Pratchett, since his unfortunate passing has him in the spotlight.

I got her all the Tiffany Aching books, which the first two are combined and due to arrive shortly, with the other two temporarily out of stock.

Then after poking around on @Quoth 's sig / blog for diverse recommendations (Thanks!) I find a book Little Miss Evil and grab that.

Then I purchased another one that sounded pretty sweet The Story of Owen: Dragon Slayer of Trondheim.

So, I feel like I provided her with a pretty solid and interesting lineup of fiction to get her distracted from school work and ignore her mom for a bit.

• Options
    For that age, I would recommend specifically Dealing with Dragons and The Thirteenth Child, both by Patricia Wrede. They're both starts to series/trilogies so it gives her room to expand.

• Options
    For that age, I would recommend specifically Dealing with Dragons and The Thirteenth Child, both by Patricia Wrede. They're both starts to series/trilogies so it gives her room to expand.

Thanks!

Much appreciated. She reads at a much higher level than her grade level, and fairly mature to boot. I will definitely keep those on my wish list for the next time I decide to spoil her.

• Options
    I'm a mature reader and I still go for Howl's Moving Castle as a comfort read. Some books transcend the age for which the marketing people want to pretend they were written.

That said, if she wants to slant upward a bit, go for The Hero and the Crown or The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley. Both great lady hero books with some romance elements.

• Options
    Diana wynne jones is never inappropriate.

The obernewtyn books I remember as being pretty compelling when I was around that age.

• Options
    Seconding @Quoth, I loved Wrede's Dragons series when I was that age, and got the set for my friend's daughters a few years ago.

Has she already read The Phantom Toolbooth? That should be required reading for everyone.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I'm a mature reader and I still go for Howl's Moving Castle as a comfort read. Some books transcend the age for which the marketing people want to pretend they were written.

That said, if she wants to slant upward a bit, go for The Hero and the Crown or The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley. Both great lady hero books with some romance elements.

No, no, I wasn't knocking your recommendations.

Just saying that she isn't stuck at her grade level, even though those particular novels you suggested would probably be of interest to her.

My next thought after I decided I should give her some reading material, is making the book giving conditional upon her finding some sort of physical activity she enjoys

Quick edit: which was slightly inspired after reading this "Princess Cimorene is frustrated by her life and persuades the castle staff to teach her fencing, magic, cooking, Latin, and other interesting subjects that are considered "improper" for princesses to learn."

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    Make her read The Hero and the Crown and then take up swordfighting and horseback riding and chemistry.

• Options
    Also don't worry, I didn't feel impugned in any way, I was just making clear that I wasn't exclusively suggesting books because they are YA or whatever

• Options
    I mean, I would still get choked up reading the long patrol in high school, and probably would today.

God bless those glorious hares of the long patrol

• Options
    I started a list of female authors you could add to your list, if you wanted to, Quoth! Or anyone looking for female authors.

For Younger Adults:
    Zilpha Keatley Snyder (The Egypt Game wins for Book Most Read By Lil Sandra)
    E.L. Konigsburg (From The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler for Thing I Most Wanted to Do)
    Phyllis Reynolds Naylor - I think I read the Witch Saga like six times
    Gail Carson Levine - Dude. Ella Enchanted.
    Jan Yolen - Where do you even start? Children's books and young adult books of all sorts

Slightly Older Young Adults:
    Diane Duane - Young Wizards!
    Susan Cooper - The Dark is Rising forever, and ever
    Ann Rinaldi - because history is compelling and relatable and SURPRISE also had women in it
    Karen Cushman - Catherine, Called Birdy is also on my a million-rereads list
    Isobelle Carmody's Obernewtyn books

Ready For the Big Time:
    Noo Saro-Wiwa
    NoViolet Bulawayo
    Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
    Isak Dinesen
    Tana French
    Hilary Mantel
    Yoon Ha Lee
    Banana Yoshimoto
    Sloane Crosley
    Marisha Pessl
    Irene Nemirovsky
    Ali Smith
    Sarah Waters
    Amy Bloom

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    They will be ADDED. Oh man, Diane Duane. Yes, I did want to be a wizard. So much.

• Options
    Oh, what about Watership Down?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Fuck yes, Susan cooper.

• Options
    I'm now going INSANE trying to think of this series of young-adult/middle reader mysteries that I super loved and can't remember anything about except the covers.

INSANE.

ALSO.

The Westing Game is written by a woman!
    Lynne Reid Banks wrote the Indian in the Cupboard books
    And I read literally EVERY SINGLE BOOK written by Jean Craighead George, I think

RUVCwyu.jpg
This discussion has been closed.