As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who likes [books]? I like books! Let's read!

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Oh man, really? Really? I was super going to read that.

I don't want to discourage you from reading it - I'm just saying that I didn't particularly care for it.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I have the new Joe Hill.

It's right there on my kindle.
    But I am at work and it is busy so I can't read and everything is terrible. Abloobloobloo

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm slowly slogging through Le Morte d'Arthur

I think it would be a lot easier to take if every single character in the book wasn't a huge hypocritical jerk.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I bought a printed copy of Infinite Jest. The third time might be the charm.

I might need help

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I can help. I have a separate bin for recycle.

Hiyo

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Damn it

So is Hal suffering from seizures or what

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Asthariel wrote: »
    I admit that someone can not like Abercrombie.

BUT, calling him a hack is too much i think.

The writing in the first couple of books is pretty clunky, and there's a hell of a lot of "tell" when there should be "show".

but by the time you get to Red Country man, that aint a hack writing.

The original trilogy has its share of clunky moments, but dang if Before They are Hanged ain't one of his best works

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Damn it

So is Hal suffering from seizures or what

That's one of the central mysteries of the novel

But short answer is, not exactly

• Options
    I can vividly remember reading several of these passages
    I'm wondering if I would do good or bad figuring out where I was

I was at that big tennis ball as ICBMs game when I lost my Kindle bookmarks

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I bought a printed copy of Infinite Jest. The third time might be the charm.

I might need help

The thing you have to remember early on is that the tennis bits and the AA bits are actually a metaphor for the act of reading the novel.

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    apparently I'm in the minority that actively enjoyed all the tennis stuff

• Options
    Yeah, I enjoy the tennis stuff
    And the big crazy wargame

• Options
    For people who have finished Infinite Jest, my thoughts on what's up with Hal as of the college admissions interview
    So, sometime after the big hullabaloo that everything was building up to at the end of the novel, Hal's ability to communicate suffers a major setback. I see 3 possible causes for this.

-ingestion of the designer drug, either intentionally or unintentionally. I lean towards the latter, and suspect Pemulis dosed Hal as a farewell "fuck you" gesture, because Pemulis is a vindictive evil shit. Hal's symptoms are rather similar to descriptions of possible side effects to the drug.
    -delayed(by many years) reaction to the mold he ingested as a child, as the mold described sounds rather similar to the one which the designer drug is derived from
    -Ghost Dad fucks up his brain while trying to communicate with him. I don't think this one is as likely, but I do find it interesting that Pre-Ghost Dad was seemingly unable to communicate with Hal years before, and yet nobody else seemed to have this difficulty

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I enjoy the tennis stuff
    And the big crazy wargame

yeah dude

like that part where whats-his-face explains all the strengths and weaknesses of the top tier players at the school, just give me an entire book of that

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    In case someone doesn't know yet, Thorn of Emberlain is supposed to come out on 22 September this year.

I must say, im glad that it took him only 3 years to finish this book.
    Meanwhile, it's been 5 years since Wise Man Fears, and we know ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOTHING about when the next Rothfuss book will come out. Apparenty even his editor didn't get even single page of Doors of Stone so far. I hate you, Patrick Rothfuss. I hate you.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

Oh nice!

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    I'm not particularly excited for Thorn of Emberlain after the sharp turn the last book took at the end there.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Nobody agrees for sure about what that turn was! It might not be so bad!

• Options
    nefyavenefyave Registered User regular
    In case someone doesn't know yet, Thorn of Emberlain is supposed to come out on 22 September this year.

I must say, im glad that it took him only 3 years to finish this book.
    Meanwhile, it's been 5 years since Wise Man Fears, and we know ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOTHING about when the next Rothfuss book will come out. Apparenty even his editor didn't get even single page of Doors of Stone so far. I hate you, Patrick Rothfuss. I hate you.

Goddamn. I liked the Lynch books but really Rothfuss write quicker!

Also i started rereading the Malazan books. I could pretty much perfectly remember the first two books so i started in the third again. These really are some of my favorite epic fantasy books. Couldn't find my old copys but i got lucky and picked up part 3,4,5,6 for 6 euros. Good stuff.

bannerpa.jpg
  • Options
    I should finish the Malazan stuff. The fates of certain characters as of Reapers Gale was too much to deal

• Options
    I should finish the Malazan stuff. The fates of certain characters as of Reapers Gale was too much to deal

Yeah, i can forgive Erikson for A LOT of things (he is my favourite fantasy author), but this book's ending is not one of them. Sometimes you write bleak books and it works, and sometimes there is just grimdark overkill like in Reaper's Gale.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Someone stop me from buying this new, expensive, Kindle.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Don't buy it!
    Paperwhites are super slick and fairly cheap by now

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Don't buy it!

I have a 1st gen paperwhite and this Oasis looks so good!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Don't buy it!

What can it do that the paperwhite can't?

No, being slightly thinner before you put a cover on it doesn't count.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Don't buy it!

What can it do that the paperwhite can't?

No, being slightly thinner before you put a cover on it doesn't count.

I'm a big fan of the physical buttons. Thats the biggest thing I miss from the 3rd Gen Keyboard. Also lighter, but my kindle stays at home, so I don't worry too much about covers, except I guess this one to charge it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Went to check what the Oasis was about, found this funny:

kindleoasis.png

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    This thing with Chuck Tingle and the Hugos and those Puppies idiots is just delicious, it is just the gift that keeps on giving.

Story explanation

Interview with Chuck Tingle, ABSOLUTE REQUIRED READING

Also you owe it to yourself to visit therabidpuppies.com

Peen on
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Hey !

I'm looking for some good audiobook recommendations! Can be any genre (including non fiction), so long as you think the book is good and the person reading it does a good job!

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Finished Guns Germs and Steel. Picked up Crake and Oryx by Atwater. I like the prose. Story has yet to grab me.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Reading about the bullshit going on with the Hugo's compelled me to pick up Ancillary Justice. Halfway through and loving it.

What's weird (although not unsurprising) is that after a while the feminine pronoun thing fades into the background and becomes more like an affectation, while you're left with a pretty good space opera. It's almost as if the grumblegrousers heard about the book and jumped on the anti-SJW bandwagon without even reading it.

Shocking!

• Options
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Reading about the bullshit going on with the Hugo's compelled me to pick up Ancillary Justice. Halfway through and loving it.

What's weird (although not unsurprising) is that after a while the feminine pronoun thing fades into the background and becomes more like an affectation, while you're left with a pretty good space opera. It's almost as if the grumblegrousers heard about the book and jumped on the anti-SJW bandwagon without even reading it.

Shocking!

I am one of the few that didn't love Ancillary Justice.

It's certainly interesting, but every time i read about admiration of readers and reviewers for this book i start to think that there is something wrong with me. It's good, 7+, but not more in my opinion.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Ancillary Justice is an extremely odd and complex book that requires one's full attention, and I picked it up at a time when I wanted something as complex as your average Jim Butcher novel

• Options
    replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    I think I should read it sometime, I really like the sound of that pronoun thing.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I think I should read it sometime, I really like the sound of that pronoun thing.

It is not as weird or revolutionary as either side would have you believe. Neat idea though.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I like the Title.

I haven't read it or anything else about it though.

Just a real good sci-fi book title right there.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    Ancillary Justice is an extremely odd and complex book that requires one's full attention

Right. This is what I wanted, and it's exactly what I got. The story itself isn't actually that complex so far, but the real challenge is getting your mind around the idea of a plural self. A lot of what you assume to be fundamental to a "character" is warped a fair bit when the character is a ship AI with hundreds of bodies, with often several of them in vastly different locales feeding to the same parts of the narrative.

Like Asthariel said, it's definitely 7+/10 as far as actual story content.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I just finished Samedi the Deafness, by Jesse Ball

That was uh, that was a weird book

I think I recommend it, although I did literally just finish it, so I may need to unpack it some more

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I finished the first Johannes Cabal book today

That was a fun, quick read. Biggest criticism offhand is that there aren't any real female characters in the book. Like, there are three women that show up - one exists purely to show how bad a male character is, another exists to be lured into a bad decision by a character, and the third exists to save a male character. Hoping that that improved in the other books, because aside from that it was an enjoyable read.

Now I'm reading NOS4A2, which I'm really enjoying so far and... already has two prominent female characters in it? So that's cool.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Yup
    Infinite Jest
    Yup

I'm only about 100 pages in

Going. To figure out where I was when I stopped reading

This discussion has been closed.