As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Last [Chat] Out of Saigon

ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
In 1975 it was pretty clear that the North Vietnamese were going to take Saigon and win the Vietnam War. The US Military had completely withdrawn years earlier and the only thing that seemed to slow the NVA down was a desire to not outrun their own supply lines. There had been a massive evacuation of war orphans and it became clear that many left behind would be subject to reprisals. This was the problem that faced Al Topping who was the head of the Saigon Pan Am office. The locals working for him were considered likely to suffer at the hands of the invading forces. So he began to gather a list of employees and some others that the State Department request be on the flight. As part of this, he offered his staff the chance to bring their immediate family. Which ended up being a bit larger then he expected. The flight could hold 300 or so people. He had a list of 500. He managed to get the list trimmed down but by the time he did, the FAA had declared the area a war zone and wouldn't allow commercial flights in or out. This wasn't an absurd concern. One of the airlift flights for Operation Babylift had crashed after an explosion suspected of being anti-aircraft fire had torn it's back door off.

Tense talks with the Pan Am home office managed to secure permission for one flight in. But the local commander of Tan Son Nhut was refusing to allow any South Vietnamese nationals onto the base and the plane. During the evacuation of Da Ning, the World Airways flights taking off had had people still trying to board them even as the aircraft taxied. So Al Topping paid off a South Vietnamese official to allow him to adopt all of the local staff and their families. This got him enough room to be able to get the four buses of staff and families onto the airbase. But that wasn't enough to get the airplane off the ground. The head of the airbase had demanded a massive bribe, and was handed a leather satchel full of cash on the tarmac.

When Flight #841 to Manila from Saigon took off, it had 463 people on board. It was laid out to support 375. The FAA had given extraordinary permission for people to sit in the aisle and stand during the flight. That was the last US airline flight out of Saigon. Within 48 hours the shelling of the city began and the final military evacuation was underway. Perhaps I'll write up Operation Frequent Wind in another post.

«134567100

Posts

  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    SO RELIEVED that Thom was up ahead of me.

    like when I saw the notification beads of sweat just started pouring down my face

    i was in real fear you guys

    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @jacobkosh,

    Where will young Jewish men go to break into the funny books?

  • GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Can't say I'm entirely surprised with the news about DC. I seem to recall they had shifted quite a bit of their staff and work out that way a couple of years ago.

    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    More like Thomamolasses.

  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    More like Thomamolasses.

    2 minutes was rather slow.

  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    onioncommietakeover_zpsff6bd8ea.jpg

  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    so Budweiser had a competition to encourage creative people to become professional

    the prize is €50,000 and tutoring from professionals

    the comedian in the final is someone who has done 11 gigs but is very attractive

    i think i'm having an aneurysm

    edit: the winner is determined by facebook votes

    goddamnit

    Tav on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    DC is probably moving to California to manage their unstoppable and critically acclaimed film and television empire.

  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    what up chat?

    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    And now that you mention it, Gotham was filming again in Tribeca this morning. I really want to know why the fuck they keep coming down here.

  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    so Budweiser had a competition to encourage creative people to become professional

    the prize is €50,000 and tutoring from professionals

    the comedian in the final is someone who has done 11 gigs but is very attractive

    i think i'm having an aneurysm

    is he/she funny tho

    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    what up chat?
    watching TOS, playin warframe

  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Okay, so in the new monster hunter you get a cat sidekick that does everything with you, and you get to name them and customize their appearance.

    I named mine Renly and made him look just like Renly, and you have no idea how happy this make me.

    This is pretty much the best. It's like playing video games with my cat.

  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    but yes reading/translating jargon is the worst

    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    what up chat?

    CREPES

  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    so Budweiser had a competition to encourage creative people to become professional

    the prize is €50,000 and tutoring from professionals

    the comedian in the final is someone who has done 11 gigs but is very attractive

    i think i'm having an aneurysm

    is he/she funny tho

    not particularly

    no one is ready to go professional after 11 gigs though

    there must have been roughly zero screening process other than looking at pictures

  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    what up chat?
    watching TOS, playin warframe

    Is today a holiday?

  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Okay, so in the new monster hunter you get a cat sidekick that does everything with you, and you get to name them and customize their appearance.

    I named mine Renly and made him look just like Renly, and you have no idea how happy this make me.

    This is pretty much the best. It's like playing video games with my cat.

    The armor you make for them is SO ADORABLE

    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    emnmnme wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    what up chat?
    watching TOS, playin warframe

    Is today a holiday?
    Snow daaaaaaaay

    cB557 on
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Tav the obvious thing is to spend 49,999 on plastic surgery and nice tits.
    That way if you win you're still in the black

    Bless your heart.
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    so Budweiser had a competition to encourage creative people to become professional

    the prize is €50,000 and tutoring from professionals

    the comedian in the final is someone who has done 11 gigs but is very attractive

    i think i'm having an aneurysm

    is he/she funny tho

    not particularly

    no one is ready to go professional after 11 gigs though

    there must have been roughly zero screening process other than looking at pictures

    got a link to one of her sets?

    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I had mashed potatoes for dinner.

  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @gooey,

    Fuck owning a project car. We can get a project helicopter.

    http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucdsclnk?sl=91QSCI15158601

  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Reusing this item instead of buying new is like saving the carbon equivalent of...

    258,407.59 gallons of gasoline used

    That helicopter is green as fuck

  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    it's a budweiser contest

    the venn diagram of alt comedy fans and craft beer drinkers is a perfect circle

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUKmq7UMJys

  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    @gooey,

    Fuck owning a project car. We can get a project helicopter.

    http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucdsclnk?sl=91QSCI15158601

    that's awesome

    you have no idea how many times i have been this close to placing a bid on a deuce and a half on one of those gov liquidation sites

    919UOwT.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Reusing this item instead of buying new is like saving the carbon equivalent of...

    258,407.59 gallons of gasoline used

    That helicopter is green as fuck

    Owning it used is like getting 441 years of car use. Hard to argue the economics.

  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    @gooey,

    Fuck owning a project car. We can get a project helicopter.

    http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucdsclnk?sl=91QSCI15158601

    that's awesome

    you have no idea how many times i have been this close to placing a bid on a deuce and a half on one of those gov liquidation sites

    About as many as I have.

  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    so Budweiser had a competition to encourage creative people to become professional

    the prize is €50,000 and tutoring from professionals

    the comedian in the final is someone who has done 11 gigs but is very attractive

    i think i'm having an aneurysm

    is he/she funny tho

    not particularly

    no one is ready to go professional after 11 gigs though

    there must have been roughly zero screening process other than looking at pictures

    got a link to one of her sets?

    I'm not gonna post it publicly for obvious reasons.

  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    @Tav worse for wear in what way? I mean we can only say how much he used in scenes we saw which wasn't THAT many. And we can assume he used heroin only up to CERTAIN THINGS happened. And from the start of that to the conclusion of that part how long was that?

    I mean I know people who have used a shit ton more drugs than that much more frequently over quite a long period of time.

  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    it's a budweiser contest

    the venn diagram of alt comedy fans and craft beer drinkers is a perfect circle

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUKmq7UMJys

    it's a miracle that the winner wasn't a racist with a puppet or something

    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Wash wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    so Budweiser had a competition to encourage creative people to become professional

    the prize is €50,000 and tutoring from professionals

    the comedian in the final is someone who has done 11 gigs but is very attractive

    i think i'm having an aneurysm

    is he/she funny tho

    not particularly

    no one is ready to go professional after 11 gigs though

    there must have been roughly zero screening process other than looking at pictures

    got a link to one of her sets?

    I'm not gonna post it publicly for obvious reasons.

    Can't link to someone trying to be a professional comedian?

    I don't understand this?

  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Wash wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    so Budweiser had a competition to encourage creative people to become professional

    the prize is €50,000 and tutoring from professionals

    the comedian in the final is someone who has done 11 gigs but is very attractive

    i think i'm having an aneurysm

    is he/she funny tho

    not particularly

    no one is ready to go professional after 11 gigs though

    there must have been roughly zero screening process other than looking at pictures

    got a link to one of her sets?

    I'm not gonna post it publicly for obvious reasons.

    wait, what is the obvious reason?

  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    wait, what is the obvious reason?
    Pictures and film of people steal their souls.

    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I'm not going to publicly post a video containing someone's real name when I'm, for lack of a better term, being dismissive of them.

  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    A Jem movie eh

    desc on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Gooey, we could paint it black and buzz the rural areas. Just stop and randomly hover over places. Maybe dangle some ziplines out some times.

  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    I'm not going to publicly post a video containing someone's real name when I'm, for lack of a better term, being dismissive of them.
    is it a woman

    is that why you're dismissive

    it's okay

    this is a safe space to talk about ethics in comedy contests

    *finger hovers over twitter outrage button*

  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    I'm not going to publicly post a video containing someone's real name when I'm, for lack of a better term, being dismissive of them.
    is it a woman

    is that why you're dismissive

    it's okay

    this is a safe space to talk about ethics in comedy contests

    *finger hovers over twitter outrage button*

    If you were really mad you would press the tumblr outrage button.

This discussion has been closed.