As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] Brought to you by Prime Minister Lump of Coal

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    After months of the media chomping at the bit for Turnbull to declare a DD election, it looks like he's finally going to bit that particular bullet.
    "[If] they vote for those bills then there would be no question, we wouldn't even be talking about the possibility of a double dissolution," he said. "But look, it is clearly an option, and it is something that the Government considers."

He said the industrial relations bills to reinstate the building and construction watchdog and to increase union transparency were both facing a second defeat in the Senate and were justifications to call a double dissolution poll. "The only reason that I would consider advising the Governor-General to effect a double dissolution would be in order to deal with bills that had been rejected," Mr Turnbull said.

He said an election in July was within the normal parameters for this year's expected poll. "An election after June 30 would not be regarded as early," he said.

It's going to be entertaining to see him try to bring any policies to the election, given his own party seems quite happy to publically shoot them down as soon as they're floated.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    They like some policies that are floated.

They are just incredibly unpopular with the entire electorate.

• Options
    Given that the Ideas Boom ads have given up even pretending not to be an election campaign, and NBNCo nbn™ outright campaigning for the Liberals, it's pretty obvious the election season has already started.

So far they seem to be spruiking a vague concept of "innovation" (which doesn't seem to be going that well given the savaging they're getting for the CSIRO cuts), taking credit for FTTP rollouts started under Labor, and obviously there'll be income tax cuts because it's an election. What else do they have to run on? They can't seem to make up their mind on negative gearing, immigration's largely nullified given both parties agreeing to lock up the nasty brown people out of sight, and education's on the cutting block. Privatisation of everything they can get their hands on for quick cash is obviously the end-game, but that polls horrendously.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    Given that the Ideas Boom ads have given up even pretending not to be an election campaign, and NBNCo nbn™ outright campaigning for the Liberals, it's pretty obvious the election season has already started.

So far they seem to be spruiking a vague concept of "innovation" (which doesn't seem to be going that well given the savaging they're getting for the CSIRO cuts), taking credit for FTTP rollouts started under Labor, and obviously there'll be income tax cuts because it's an election. What else do they have to run on? They can't seem to make up their mind on negative gearing, immigration's largely nullified given both parties agreeing to lock up the nasty brown people out of sight, and education's on the cutting block. Privatisation of everything they can get their hands on for quick cash is obviously the end-game, but that polls horrendously.

Well, Abbott could always decide to throw his hat back in, I guess?

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    PM Malcolm Turnbull has announced a special sitting of parliament on April 18 to consider industrial relations laws.
    If the Senate rejects the bills the Prime Minister will call a double dissolution election for July 2.
    The budget will be moved forward by one week and handed down on May 3 regardless of the outcome.
    The bills would reinstate the Australian Building and Construction Commission and establish the Registered Organisations Commission.

Relatedly, looks like the Liberals have finally found an election policy they can all agree on. Corporate tax cuts, of course.

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Has there ever been a time where tax cuts allowed for high wages? Unless there is a proviso that those cuts must go towards higher wages. In that case taxing people less will have a more direct effect.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    PM Malcolm Turnbull has announced a special sitting of parliament on April 18 to consider industrial relations laws.
    If the Senate rejects the bills the Prime Minister will call a double dissolution election for July 2.
    The budget will be moved forward by one week and handed down on May 3 regardless of the outcome.
    The bills would reinstate the Australian Building and Construction Commission and establish the Registered Organisations Commission.

Relatedly, looks like the Liberals have finally found an election policy they can all agree on. Corporate tax cuts, of course.

It's kind of insulting that would say that cutting corporate tax would result in higher wages since ever since the GFC basically every worker below senior management in about the whole country has been on a pay freeze.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    The senate voting changes are pretty bonkers considering how they happened. I don't even disagree necessarily that it might be a good thing (though I don't think they are unambiguously a good thing) but it is a massive change to the way elections work and that seems like something that ought to have been a bigger and more public discussion.

Plus, some of the arguments given were bad.

---
    -Loki- wrote: »

It's kind of insulting that would say that cutting corporate tax would result in higher wages since ever since the GFC basically every worker below senior management in about the whole country has been on a pay freeze.
    Not to mention that earlier on in the time of Mad Monk People Skills they were talking about how Australians had come to expect too high wages and that we would have to adjust to be more competitive and other such investor class bunkem.

• Options
    Apparently Morrison said the budget would be delivered at the usual time.

Half an hour later, Turnbull said it would be released early.

Leadership!

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I love that the Ideas Boom adds are run alongside a promise to make STEM fields the only thing the government cares about, and also the complete dismantling of TAFE or any kind of reputable training and qualification industry

• Options
    I like that when listing their achievements they tend to lead with "we released an innovation statement".

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    2 hours til the flag results are announced.

• Options

Leadership!

My issue here is I want to call this amateur hour, but then you have some of the cross bench senators that were actually amateur, and they've done a pretty decent job. You guys just seem to delight in caricature, enacted.

Meanwhile, on this side of the pond, flags!

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/the-flag-debate/78209685/live-new-zealand-flag-referendum-preliminary-result
    The results are in and New Zealand has voted to keep the existing flag.
    91e8632c-3940-4f57-9fb9-c8e4cd3d18ee.jpg
    I'm surprised. Nearly everyone I know voted the other way.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    New flag was too complex.

Just the fern with the colour split maybe, or black with the fern and the cross, but that blue is super strong

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular

Leadership!

Turnbull has been throwing Morrison to the wolves for a while now. I think he'd be happy to lose him given that he's more sympathetic to Abbott.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i just didn't like the fern, personally. I mean, I get it, but I wasn't a fan of it.

the nzherald website has a neat little interactive thing to see how your districts voted.

• Options
    THAC0THAC0 Registered User regular
    On the plus side I don't have to buy new all blacks tops!

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't back Kevin Andrews if he was in a fight against a ham sandwich, let alone Turnbull.

• Options
    After months of the media chomping at the bit for Turnbull to declare a DD election, it looks like he's finally going to bit that particular bullet.
    "[If] they vote for those bills then there would be no question, we wouldn't even be talking about the possibility of a double dissolution," he said. "But look, it is clearly an option, and it is something that the Government considers."

He said the industrial relations bills to reinstate the building and construction watchdog and to increase union transparency were both facing a second defeat in the Senate and were justifications to call a double dissolution poll. "The only reason that I would consider advising the Governor-General to effect a double dissolution would be in order to deal with bills that had been rejected," Mr Turnbull said.

He said an election in July was within the normal parameters for this year's expected poll. "An election after June 30 would not be regarded as early," he said.

It's going to be entertaining to see him try to bring any policies to the election, given his own party seems quite happy to publically shoot them down as soon as they're floated.

A friend of mine in the public service said that when he said he'd pull one if a piece of unpopular legislation failed, they had to prepare for it, which is a huge deal and subverts enormous amounts of manpower. Which basically means once that ball is rolling, even if Turnbull hits 5% preference that election is happening as planned or god help the liberal party.

• Options
    Please make it so

Let me be the first to say

Pfffffft ahahahahaha

I was going to say "this would be great, please, let this happen" but then I remembered Abbott was elected so

• Options
    I have no doubt Abbott is going to attempt a return at some point.

Though I mean two months ago I would have said it was impossible for the Libs to lose this upcoming election.

• Options
    Kelor wrote: »

Though I mean two months ago I would have said it was impossible for the Libs to lose this upcoming election.

I was kind of surprised they didn't attempt to call an election much sooner, since not-Abbott but Abbott policy doesn't seem like a long term way to gain in popularity.

That being said, is Abbott really likely to attempt a return? I mean, how would he even gain the support to attempt it?

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Antoshka wrote: »

I was kind of surprised they didn't attempt to call an election much sooner, since not-Abbott but Abbott policy doesn't seem like a long term way to gain in popularity.

That being said, is Abbott really likely to attempt a return? I mean, how would he even gain the support to attempt it?

I think he will, but if he does he wants it to be on his terms with them coming to him on their knees. It wouldn't surprise me that all these terrible policies are at least partly a result of the conservatives digging their heels in and threatening mutiny at anything more moderate.

Jon Faine on ABC said last that multiple people he has spoken to have directly quoted Abbott as saying that the second Abbott government will be stronger than the first.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I've seen polls that say only 17% of the LNP faithful support Abbott as PM. General was 13%, can't remember how Labor supporters polled.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Australian Building and Construction bill rejected, double dissolution trigger has been pulled.

Edit: Interviewer just now: That's your broad platform. I'm asking about specific policies you'll be taking to the election
    Brandis: Well we've released an innovation statement that's incredibly important

Suriko on
  • Options
    Australian Building and Construction bill rejected, double dissolution trigger has been pulled.

Edit: Interviewer just now: That's your broad platform. I'm asking about specific policies you'll be taking to the election
    Brandis: Well we've released an innovation statement that's incredibly important

So, do we have hope, then?

No hope?

Some hope, at least?

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Personally I'd say 50/50. Shorten's an idiot, but right now Labor have released a few fairly popular policies while the Liberals are busy eating themselves.

"What policies will you run on" should be the easiest question in the goddamn world to answer, and all he could say was "we've released an innovation statement". The upcoming budget next Tuesday will probably go down like a wet fart as well.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Personally I'd say 50/50. Shorten's an idiot, but right now Labor have released a few fairly popular policies while the Liberals are busy eating themselves.

"What policies will you run on" should be the easiest question in the goddamn world to answer, and all he could say was "we've released an innovation statement". The upcoming budget next Tuesday will probably go down like a wet fart as well.

Well, they could smoke cigars in private this time, which would improve things. And pay Telstra some more, they seem to think that's popular.

Antoshka on
    n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options

Well, they could smoke cigars in private this time, which would improve things. And pay Telstra some more, they seem to think that's popular.

Morrison's already flagged corporate tax cuts.

Because that's the only thing the Liberal Party can agree on. :rotate:

• Options
    They'll work this time!

• Options

I think the problem if Labor wins this election is that it won't fix the problems the party currently has.

They need some time in the wild to sort their shit out.

The problem is that the other party also has nutters trying to take over their party and is worse as a whole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uvv0BqrKLc

• Options
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-26/png-court-rules-asylum-seeker-detention-manus-island-illegal/7360078
    Papua New Guinea's Supreme Court has ruled Australia's detention of asylum seekers on Manus Island is illegal.

The five-man bench of the court ruled the detention breached the right to personal liberty in the PNG constitution. There are 850 men in the detention centre on Manus Island, about half of whom have been found to be refugees.

The Supreme Court has ordered the PNG and Australian governments to immediately take steps to end the detention of asylum seekers in PNG.

Oops.jpg

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-26/png-court-rules-asylum-seeker-detention-manus-island-illegal/7360078
    Papua New Guinea's Supreme Court has ruled Australia's detention of asylum seekers on Manus Island is illegal.

The five-man bench of the court ruled the detention breached the right to personal liberty in the PNG constitution. There are 850 men in the detention centre on Manus Island, about half of whom have been found to be refugees.

The Supreme Court has ordered the PNG and Australian governments to immediately take steps to end the detention of asylum seekers in PNG.

Oops.png

• Options
    Am I missing something?

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Am I missing something?

Presumably ".png" works as a pun because Paupa New Guinea

• Options
    And after years of them being off the air, antiterrorism ads have just started running again on TV.

Real fucking subtle.

This discussion has been closed.