Options

Join The [Helldivers] And Fight For Super Earth!

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I literally just mentioned the other night that the short range on the arc thrower put me off it. Reducing it further is going to relegate it to my never take ever pile.

It's range was 50m, which was huge.

Yup I enjoyed it but the arc thrower was weirdly long ranged before. I think a 35m range is probably fine for what it does and how it works. Was weird sniping things like thor.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I have nencountered two problems in the game:

Even post patch, i'm consistently crashing on extract unless i'm the host.

Two: After all the bot missions i've been mainling, bugs are incredibly boring now.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Today's daily for stalwart kills has me realizing it's actually pretty okay against devastators. It'll deflect off of all their plating, sure, but it has the right sort of cone of fire that you don't need to be be dead on accurate to get shots on the head, while still being accurate enough that you're not just hosing down the whole torso. And its RoF and DPS are high enough that once you get on target, even though a decent chunk of your shots are gonna miss the face and deflect off plate, its head is still gonna reliably pop pretty fast.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I am only disappointed in one thing: I played today to see the giant robot.

I did not see the giant robot in six complete missions :(

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited April 3
    kaid wrote: »
    I literally just mentioned the other night that the short range on the arc thrower put me off it. Reducing it further is going to relegate it to my never take ever pile.

Yup I enjoyed it but the arc thrower was weirdly long ranged before. I think a 35m range is probably fine for what it does and how it works. Was weird sniping things like thor.

I don't know exactly how far 50m is in game but I do know every time I tried to arc something before they noticed me at range it fizzled. Basically the only time I got it to work was on enemies that were closing with me to engage in melee and that's not really what I want to be doing. Especially given my usual weapons have a maximum range of "as far as you can see."

Which reminds me, how come the Lascannon has a piddly reflex sight instead of a scope? That's deeply annoying when I'm trying to blast bots out of the bottom of a dropships before they drop.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    I think my only real complaint about the bots is how ineffective destroying the dropship is. Most of the time it doesn't do anything more than tangle them up for a second. Every now and then some of them will be destroyed. Just feels like it is not worth it.

Yeah it seems absolutely arbitrary. The one thing I've "semi" consistently noticed and I only say Semi because of how damn hard it is to land, is if you manage to blow up an engine on a drop ship BEFORE it starts offloading troops (ie when it's doing its landing sweep), THAT seems to consistently kill their entire cargo when it crash-lands. However if you shoot it mid-offload, or after it offloads its passengers, then it's a complete crapshoot on whether it'll damage/kill any of the troops below it.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I think my only real complaint about the bots is how ineffective destroying the dropship is. Most of the time it doesn't do anything more than tangle them up for a second. Every now and then some of them will be destroyed. Just feels like it is not worth it.

Yeah it seems absolutely arbitrary. The one thing I've "semi" consistently noticed and I only say Semi because of how damn hard it is to land, is if you manage to blow up an engine on a drop ship BEFORE it starts offloading troops (ie when it's doing its landing sweep), THAT seems to consistently kill their entire cargo when it crash-lands. However if you shoot it mid-offload, or after it offloads its passengers, then it's a complete crapshoot on whether it'll damage/kill any of the troops below it.

Hmmm maybe that is the key. It is much much harder to hit the engine during that swoop so maybe that is the payoff. If we do any bots tonight i might try and experiment.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

Hmmm maybe that is the key. It is much much harder to hit the engine during that swoop so maybe that is the payoff. If we do any bots tonight i might try and experiment.

Yeah definitely let us know if you can. I've only managed to land it twice in all the time I've played with a Recoilless because I lucked out and happened to be facing the direction they were swooping in from, but I can't imagine trying to land that kind of shot with a Quasar given the charge up time.

• Options
    I will add that the crash does seem to do something to the surviving bots on a pretty consistent basis. They do seem to get stuck in place and their pathfinding breaks to a pretty noticeable extent, even after the wreckage despawns. I've been able to solo hulks that survived the crash because they seem to just stand there not doing anything. Same with Berserkers too. I'm not sure if that's a bug or some kind of shell-shock at having survived a multi-ton dropship landing on top of them but I guess it's a nice consolation prize for not having them wiped out on impact.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Am I insane or are gunships only killable with anti-tank weapons?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I will add that the crash does seem to do something to the surviving bots on a pretty consistent basis. They do seem to get stuck in place and their pathfinding breaks to a pretty noticeable extent, even after the wreckage despawns. I've been able to solo hulks that survived the crash because they seem to just stand there not doing anything. Same with Berserkers too. I'm not sure if that's a bug or some kind of shell-shock at having survived a multi-ton dropship landing on top of them but I guess it's a nice consolation prize for not having them wiped out on impact.

Yeah my group consistently has one or two people running Quasars* and it's made a huge difference on bots. Even when stuff survives the dropship getting downed it generally makes cleanup way easier.

*Usually pronounced quasar lasar or quaser laser.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    The other downside to downing drop ships is they can fall on top of samples or support gear and make them unrecoverable. I know its fun to shoot them down, but I think the costs outweigh the benefits.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    They'll despawn relatively quickly. Unless you're in a huge time crunch it's still usually worth it, IMO, because I extract no samples if I wipe.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Breaking: Cluster bombs will neutralize the lingering effects of a gas strike.

*Reinforcements Available*

Update: Cluster bombs will neutralize the lingering visual effects of a gas strike.

Stay safe out there Helldivers!

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Dys wrote: »

The AMR makes short work of them I found.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Breaking: Cluster bombs will neutralize the lingering effects of a gas strike.

*Reinforcements Available*

Update: Cluster bombs will neutralize the lingering visual effects of a gas strike.

Stay safe out there Helldivers!

Seemingly the EMS mortar field interferes with the arc shotgun actually doing anything.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I don't know exactly how far 50m is in game but I do know every time I tried to arc something before they noticed me at range it fizzled. Basically the only time I got it to work was on enemies that were closing with me to engage in melee and that's not really what I want to be doing. Especially given my usual weapons have a maximum range of "as far as you can see."

Which reminds me, how come the Lascannon has a piddly reflex sight instead of a scope? That's deeply annoying when I'm trying to blast bots out of the bottom of a dropships before they drop.

The arc thrower was before very inconsistent on range. Sometimes it would just fizzle and sometimes you could hit bile titans from a long way off. 35 meter range should be more than sufficient for the normal use case which is brawling with groups of stuff. It has really good stagger power now so vs bugs this thing should be pretty amazing now. Still dangerous about bug zapping team mates though if they are paying attention to you picking it on select to switch to one of the armors that makes you 95% arc resistant.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I notice the range change a little bit, but it's a worthwhile tradeoff for being able to hold back a wave of Berzerkers and Hulks single-handed. That stagger is hard. 50m was kind of a crazy reach for a weapon that strong, but 95% of the enemies I'm using it on are in the range I usually expect for the gun.

As for rapid-fire, I feel like they kinda re-kajiggered the timing but I'm still definitely rapid-firing and not having to do full charges after the first one. If the speed has been adjusted, it's a pretty negligible difference to me.

Altogether, the reduced range, adjusted fire rate, and boosted stagger amount to a definite buff and specializing the weapon somewhat more. Incredibly useful for making tough melee stuff stay the fuck off you without having the burn through all your Stun grenades and piling them up for strikes.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited April 3
    is that what demolition force is? that makes sense, I thought it was something about how good at breaking enemy parts guns are

It applies to that too. It's literally a measure of how destructive it is.

And to repeat: I went and tested the Slugger post patch

It still one hit kills everything it used to one hit kill with a headshot. It still body shots everything it used to body shot.

The only notable differences are:

-It can't stagger lock targets on a shot that misses week points - they'll flinch slightly, but not the full stagger they used to do even when you winged them

-It takes two bullets to cut a give guards leg Shield off, not one.

-You can't break crates open with it anymore.

-the ap appears to have had an unlisted change, letting it pierce cannon turret and tank turret vents where it previously deflected. It appears more consistent on bile spewers, killing them in two shots too the skull now

That's it. It's still very strong, it just punishes missed shots instead of being able to mindlessly bully targets, which is what you could do previously. Reddit and everyone else getting are dramatically over reacting

I'm still going to run it into bugs, because it's an exceptional tool there for what I want, and I'd already gone off it for bots, because there were better weapons in the arsenal for the complexities of bots

it always penned tanks and cannon turret vents btw, all pen 3 weapons do (which it always was)

just... kind of a waste of time because of how long it takes lol

Oh, i could have sworn it bounced. Good to know, thank you for the correction!

Thank you for studiously avoiding the word insufferable blessings upon thee

Nah, I love accurate information in games like this. Insufferable are the players who think the slugger is ruined

Also, the Devs have said they're aware and working on the arc thrower fizzles, spear lock on issues, and sight miss alignment, but these are more complicated fixes - hence no fix yet.

Slugger nerfs were reportedly because it was outperforming the actual snipers in the role of sniper rifle. Which seems fair as a justification, though a moderately odd way to pursue that. Still, I don't really object - the stagger was just so good even fucking up your shot let you bully things, and it's still a rewarding weapon if you're a good shot with it.

Source on this is word of Dev from the discord. Grief, but I don't envy them interacting with the community

I'd say it's more than a moderately odd way of going about weapon balance. The slugger as a weapon is not ruined. The slugger as a shotgun is ruined. It is no longer a shotgun. It is a mid-long range DMR only now, and still king of that role. The devs have previously replied that there is both a damage fall-off mechanic, combined with the bullet drop we already know is possible, it boggles the mind that instead of nerfing damage after 35-50m and or adding significant bullet drop, they remove the one thing that actually made it a shotgun (stagger). It's still the best DMR by a longshot so they haven't even achieved the stated goal. Adding to that fact it has the second best ranged sight in the game (after the Sickle). Every single actual DMR (and the AMR) have far worse reticles.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    edited April 3
    They'll despawn relatively quickly. Unless you're in a huge time crunch it's still usually worth it, IMO, because I extract no samples if I wipe.

Not consistently. Large models can stay on the map permanently. Just yesterday I kept coming across a charger corpse that was killed in the first 5-min of a a mission and a couple of weeks ago a super-rare sample got trapped under a tank corpse that wouldn't go away 10 minutes later.

It does seem like they fixed drop ship rubber banding though so they are less dangerous to teammates than they used to be.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Codemaster's newest rallying game, EA Sports WRC, just recently announced their Season 4 "Rally pass".

Being so immersed in Helldivers 2, I forgot how some games had completely unnecessary battlepasses.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Codemaster's newest rallying game, EA Sports WRC, just recently announced their Season 4 "Rally pass".

Being so immersed in Helldivers 2, I forgot how some games had completely unnecessary battlepasses.

*stares in premium warbond*

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

I feel like there's a world of difference between how seasonal, limited battle-passes work and how Premium Warbonds work. The most important being that Premium Warbonds are just there, forever, and you can work towards unlocking stuff at your own pace without the time limited FOMO pressure that most battle passes have.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Yeah Helldivers 2's battlepass works like Halo Infinite's AFAIK, which is a marked improvement all around and less hostile to customers.

Also, like. It shouldn't go unmentioned that you can earn the battlepasses in H2 absolutely free.

It's so generous, in fact, that I don't feel bad at all throwing money AHGs way for them.

(Shockingly, it turns out that when I don't feel like I'm being psychologically manipulated, and am being offered a good product, I'm happy to spend $$$ on it. :o )

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    New strategy for cramped elimination missions

One person brings the shield dome call down
    Everyone brings a 380 strike

Cackle from inside the dome.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular

Not sure their armor rating but Auto cannon works.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

Does the dome last long enough?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Rakeeth wrote: »

Yeah, two AC rounds to an engine will drop a Gunship. Haven't tried it, but since sentries seem to punch above the AP class of equivalent Helldiver weapons, the gatling turret may also be a good AA option. AC turret works, but gatling turret tracks faster.

• Options

haha we did this last night once. Everybody had 380s and 120s somebody threw out the shield dome everybody threw the big bois. It was hilariously noisy by the time it was done there was basically no cover left in the base.

• Options
    Rakeeth wrote: »

Yeah, two AC rounds to an engine will drop a Gunship. Haven't tried it, but since sentries seem to punch above the AP class of equivalent Helldiver weapons, the gatling turret may also be a good AA option. AC turret works, but gatling turret tracks faster.

The rocket turret should swat those things down pretty fast if it will prioritize them it likes to go after big bois so not sure what it will do with fliers but it does tend to pot shot at drop ships so I assume it works.

• Options
    edited April 3
    Dac wrote: »
    Yeah Helldivers 2's battlepass works like Halo Infinite's AFAIK, which is a marked improvement all around and less hostile to customers.

Also, like. It shouldn't go unmentioned that you can earn the battlepasses in H2 absolutely free.

It's so generous, in fact, that I don't feel bad at all throwing money AHGs way for them.

(Shockingly, it turns out that when I don't feel like I'm being psychologically manipulated, and am being offered a good product, I'm happy to spend $$$ on it. :o )

Yeah I had 900 super credits when the third warbond came out and decided to buy it with real money,used super credits on Steeled Veterans after I got 1000. I'm at like 550 super credits now which means I definitely could have earned both for free if I wanted to grind them out.

Butters on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »

I almost might, but I like the idea that I've got a jar of these things on my ship, and I when I hold one in my hand I can remember the visors of the helldivers who died for it, and that I will one day spend them all on a hat.

Because that's what they would have wanted.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular

Pfft, you don't need fancy PPE when you could bring more ordnance. Everyone should bring 380 +120 + walking barrage, with a few 500kg party favors at a minimum for maximum liberty.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

I feel like there's a world of difference between how seasonal, limited battle-passes work and how Premium Warbonds work. The most important being that Premium Warbonds are just there, forever, and you can work towards unlocking stuff at your own pace without the time limited FOMO pressure that most battle passes have.

Not only that, but in the WRC game, the only way to get the "VIP Pass" is to pay for it, and you still have to play the game to get the content. Season 1 and Season 2 have gone by, and I cannot get any of that content anymore. If I get the Season 3 pass but don't unlock everything by the time Season 4 comes, I don't get to own that content. So all I would be paying for would be the privilege to unlock stuff during a certain time period.

At least it's only cosmetic stuff. For now...

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    I actually brought the Arc Thrower in to try against bots last night, and I can report that the stopping power of that stun actually makes the weapon feel so much better than before. Hulks? Stun-locked and killed completely solo. Striders? Stun locked but also the robot piloting it always jumps out after it dies. Chainsaw devastators? Chain stun-locked and kited in groups, possibly the best way to deal with them I've seen. Rocket devastators?

Man, fuck rocket devastators.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    The change to shot speed for the Arc Thrower makes me sad, I was really good at machine gunning it.

Losing range for stagger seems a pretty good trade so far.

• Options
    Ranlin wrote: »
    The change to shot speed for the Arc Thrower makes me sad, I was really good at machine gunning it.

Losing range for stagger seems a pretty good trade so far.

It sucks for those who got used to speed shoot but making it work consistently with its UI makes sense. The stagger seems a very solid consolation prize for it. Don't need to shoot as frantically if you can stop them in their tracks.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 3

they are as armored as dropships are as far as I can tell

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    We need to make a new thread. I'd rather not effort post for the OP, so someone else can do it =P

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular

they are as armored as dropships are as far as I can tell

Can you kill a regular dropship with an AC? 2 shots to an engine of a gunship drops them. And they don't spawn neeeaarly as fast as Shriekers, so having to hellbomb the facility feels much less bad. Shriekers spawn way too damn fast.

This discussion has been closed.