As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Join The [Helldivers] And Fight For Super Earth!

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Are people still playing this? I'm level 16 right now and I'd like to play with a group.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I hop in occasionally but have never had great luck getting a group to play.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    It doesn't seem like many PAers play anymore. I have two friends who play but not too often. Mostly I've been playing with PuG groups and trying to figure out what weapons and stratagems I want to use.

I'm not big on the laser guns so far. I might go with a shotgun for a while. I'm also trying to figure out what is really good for anti-tank. I find that is my biggest problem. I use mechs a lot and I should probably stop doing that as well.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    The recoiless rifle is the best anti tank weapon last I checked. The single shot disposable one is nice but lacks the punch.

The laser weapons really shine on higher difficulties where it frees up a slot for another stragtem. I'd say they're op.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I hop on and play now and again. It's a fun game but it's often hard to get people in game to cooperate who won't just troll you or kill you.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    It seems like they lengthened the wars since launch which (on paper) is great, but in practice makes me sad because I like to fight bugs and the last 3 times I've tried to play the only enemy available has been cyborgs. They should have left the war length the same but lowered the targets.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I have the Scythe fully upgraded. I just don't feel like it kills efficiently enough. Probably just me though. I've only upgraded the primary gun that shoots grenades, the Scythe, both mechs, the attack drone, and the scout drone. Not really sure what to upgrade next for what I have. I'm still mixing a lot of stuff.

How does the war end? I think the most boring part so far is fighting only the cyborgs.

• Options
    Why are people so against collecting samples?

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Probably because they've already settled on their main loadouts and don't want to bother updating everything.

Here's the huge boss monsters they patched in last week I mentioned in the PSN thread:
    http://arrowheadgamestudios.com/helldivers-masters-of-the-galaxy-first-intel/

Huge screens here:
    helldivers-cyborg-siege-mech-2.png
    helldivers-illuminate-great-eye-1.png
    helldivers-bug-hive-lord.png

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Well that is just immensely unhelpful. Is there an easy way to farm them so I don't need to play with other people to get them?

• Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    Why are people so against collecting samples?

Mostly cause you're a late commer. Most folks already maked out on samples.
    Stragint wrote: »
    Well that is just immensely unhelpful. Is there an easy way to farm them so I don't need to play with other people to get them?

I can't remember if its Lvl 3 or 4 but I find those maps to be perfect for solo grinding samples.

Just makr sure to bring a uav and maybe a jetpack. It can be a lot of ground to cover, especially on snow.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I did a level 3 and got 8 samples so it was pretty good. I'll probably run through that a bunch more. Thanks for the advice.

I'm kind of bummed that I'll probably be at work when the war ends. Or at least hopefully ends. I am so tired of cyborgs.

Stragint on

• Options
    Had a match where we had 15 samples and we were almost done and then we screwed up and lost. What a bummer

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Damn, I don't think I've ever found more than 4 in a single level. Also, what's the concensus on just running like hell for objectives or sticking around to mop up patrols that find you and sound an alarm? If you run long enough will they lose interest or am I just kiting them all to the objective when I stop to extract oil or whatever?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I'm never going to get the shredder missile. We were right at the end of the final mission for the shredder missile. We have 17 samples and it is going well and then a tank bug is beating on my tank and no one moves me so I can shoot it and I can't escape without dying because the bug is at the back and then everyone dies because no one is focusing.

• Options
    I solo'ed it. Though, but dooable.

Ingore the samples, they complicate things to much.

Use lots of distraction beacons. All of them.

Use a laser weapon, frees up a stragetem that can be used for more distraction beacons.

Objectives that can be ingored, should be ingored. Activate missles and run, gun down survivors yourself, let trains go to their own doom.

On objectives where you have to fight, place a beacon away from the objective. Let the enemies gather round it, then begin to capture. Turrets are also your best friend here, us them to even the odds.

Take the perk that lets you run faster. Choose your engagements wisely and don't be afraid to run aw....errr, advance in another direction.

This point sucks, but it helps. Some objectives are easier than others. Waiting for a good roll on the shredder mission really helps, but suck.

That's all I can think of. Best of luck!

• Options
    I need to get the distraction beacons. I'm currently considering upgrading my shield generator but then I wouldn't be able to use my recoilless rifle.

Which laser gun is the best? I have the Scythe leveled up to max but they all see to do the same damage.
    jclast wrote: »
    Damn, I don't think I've ever found more than 4 in a single level. Also, what's the concensus on just running like hell for objectives or sticking around to mop up patrols that find you and sound an alarm? If you run long enough will they lose interest or am I just kiting them all to the objective when I stop to extract oil or whatever?

The ranger pack comes with a UAV drone that can be upgraded to find samples. It has been very useful in gathering large amounts.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

No. No! NO! Do not do this. The worst players do this. If you're not at an objective, just run. All staying still is going to do is get you bogged down in a pointless position against an endless swarm of enemies and waste ammo/drops. Even if they trigger an alarm, just keep running.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I feel like any of the stratagems I want are on ice planets while other people get the easier ones to move around on.

What is the point of the laser cannon?

Does the game purposefully randomly drop new players onto the group in a in progress mission? It is so insanely frustrating to lose a vehicle because the game decided to drop someone on top of it without putting down a marker.

Stragint on

• Options
    edited July 2015
    The new free update is great. I've only fought the one boss, but it was real fun.

As far as the DLC stuff goes, the vehicles are all incredibly fun, especially the motorcycle. The mech seems custom built to battle bugs, as it has a flamethrower and an anti-armor weapon.

The pistols are disappointing, though, and I don't recommend you buy it. For some reason, instead of just being able to select your pistol, the new pistols are Perks and so you have to use your perk slot just to replace your pistol. It's very silly. I was looking forward to using the revolver, too.

In the entrenchment pack, I don't really see the point of the barbed wire since static field is so good and covers a larger area. The personal shield is neat, though.

https://youtu.be/qYodavjUFK4?t=80

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Field report time!

Like Frei said, pistols as perks is dumb. Same problem with gernades, the actual perks are to good to pass up.

The flame pistol felt wimpy to me. The strength of the flamethrower was dot, so you'd light stuff up and run away. This has less range, which puts you in greater danger of being hit and means less targets lit on fire per burst

The plasma pistol hits hard and has aoe. Which means you can down or kill your self with it. Would not recommend.

The revolver is good fun and also really good. Comes with a built in laser sight, if this was not a perk I'd never part with it.

The Exo and Motorcycle are good fun. I worry about the actual use of the motorcycle, it seems everything it does the apc does better.

The tank is odd. Took me a while to figure out how it handles. Each tread is a stick, which is hilarious and difficult. Same problem as the motorcycle, the gunned apc does what it does better.

I really look forward to trying out the defenses.

• Options
    the motorcycles are so fun/funny to roll in a 4 man crew with because they have the roadkill ability of just like, a normal tank, pretty much. just cruising through everything. they're so so paper thin though.

It's too bad this game is kind of under the radar, because it's just a lot of pure fun. need more people to play with.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Is there not a Reinforcement Pack that contains all 3 new packs? That's how I've bought everything up to this point.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    There's not, but they said it was an oversight and they'll have one relatively soon.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Oh good. Next time I have PSN funds (blew the last of them on a Ratchet & Clank pre-order) I'm definitely dropping funds on that reinforcement pack. I need that new mech and motorcycle.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    Are people still playing this? I picked it up on a whim and I'm fucking addicted now.

fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    [//INCOMING TRANSMISSION//]

...*Bzzzt*Krrshk*"-inforcement request acknowledged. Super Earth Command designates request to Super Earth High Priority holding queue: Position 2,600,149 of 2,600,150."*WaBzzzzttickticktick*...

*Beeoowwww*clink*"Raw recruits en-route from planet PeeCee via Steam powered drop ship...*Kssshhh*...-stimated arrival time one month, command advises all troops to conserve ammunition and toilet pa..."*Click*Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*

[//CARRIER LOST//]

http://store.steampowered.com/app/394510/

http://www.pcgamer.com/playstation-shooter-helldivers-is-coming-to-steam/
    "We have done our very best to ensure that the game will feel as good as possible when played on PC," Arrowhead Game Studios CEO and Game Director Johan Pilestedt said. "With a wide range of graphic options, rebindable keys and an added text chat, we hope that we will meet the expectations which players have of a PC title."

subedii on
  • Options
    Really happy this is coming to PC, one of my favorite co-op games this year! Too bad it isn't cross platform play. Hopefully more PA folks will give it a shot now, since it's crazy addictive and fun and has kind of a Warhammer 40k vibe.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    I was thinking more of a Starship Troopers vibe, although those guys do admittedly seem like slightly more survivable Imperial Guardsman.

• Options
    subedii wrote: »
    I was thinking more of a Starship Troopers vibe, although those guys do admittedly seem like slightly more survivable Imperial Guardsman.

It's more their uniforms and weapons that give me the 40k vibe. Everything else is ST, especially the war bulletins, yeah.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    I'm excited I'll buy it again on pc because it is awesome and I want to play more. My laptop will be coming with me now...

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Helldivers is discounted on the PSN EU store for the Black Friday sale. It's probably the coolest most stylish most awesome most unique most fun coop game I've ever played. The drop-in/drop-out coop is amazing.

I was playing solo to get accustomed to the game first. Missions are hardly explained. Naturally I got stuck on one, because I didn't understand the objective. After fighting off wave after wave of enemies I threw out an SOS beacon. Pretty much instantly a dude joined me, and together we figured it out. Somehow that snowballed into a full group of rando noobs going on a much higher difficulty mission.

One guy was the clumsy klutz in his mech suit. "Accidentally" killing us more often than not. The other guy was the mines guy. Calling in anti-personnel minefields everywhere. Naturally hilarity ensues. Clumsy headless chicken and minefield just go together like ham and eggs... for comedy, that is. Then there was the boss, who knew what's up. He kinda herded us from objective to objective. I was the stoic sniper guy, who generally hit the deck when the shit hit the fan, and dished out one-hit kills with his accurate sniper fire. It felt like we were the A-Team. Well, more like the B-Team. Bad Company if you will.

It's glorious. It's literally the best drop-in/drop-out coop multiplayer game to date. I can tell that much already. Go get!

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    Out of curiosity what was the mission type that was giving you trouble?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015

The one where you have to retrieve some intel in the field and return it to a specific site. I just camped that site and tried to figure out how to activate it. For some reason the whole process wasn't clear to me. It also took some making to understand how the ordonance disposal one works. And since one can't pause, google wasn't an immediate option.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    The one thing that threw me for a loop at first? Reloads. The fact that the game leaves me with no bullets in my mag, if for some reason I cancel a reload? First I had to realize that that's what had happend, when I suddenly ended up standing there with my pants down, panicking because none of my guns had bullets in 'em. Now I just have to get used to it.

For aspiring Helldivers, coolness is an imperative quality to develop. Only if I keep my cool, I can prevail. Quite fitting for a game that's probably the coolest effin' thing since ice cream.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    The one thing that threw me for a loop at first? Reloads. The fact that the game leaves me with no bullets in my mag, if for some reason I cancel a reload? First I had to realize that that's what had happend, when I suddenly ended up standing there with my pants down, panicking because none of my guns had bullets in 'em. Now I just have to get used to it.

For aspiring Helldivers, coolness is an imperative quality to develop. Only if I keep my cool, I can prevail. Quite fitting for a game that's probably the coolest effin' thing since ice cream.

But panicking and fumbling the stratagem commands leads to hilarious party wipes :3

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Takel wrote: »

But panicking and fumbling the stratagem commands leads to hilarious party wipes :3

Having just tried my hand at my first difficulty 9 mission, I guess no matter how cool and calm one is, shit's going to go fubar by design. Holy shit, this thing is challenging.

• Options

The one where you have to retrieve some intel in the field and return it to a specific site. I just camped that site and tried to figure out how to activate it. For some reason the whole process wasn't clear to me. It also took some making to understand how the ordonance disposal one works. And since one can't pause, google wasn't an immediate option.

That screwed me up the first time, too. My most hated one is the scientist escort. Those guys can't hide to (literally) save their lives.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Running the fully upgraded UAV is really neat. Uncovering all the samples on a map really lets me push my research points to new heights. I can run difficulty lvl 6 solo, take my time collecting samples, and complete the mission comfortably, always making at least one research point. If more drop-in and join the fun, the better.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I learned two things today. One awesome, and one not.

First the good news. The game has Jeep Stuff AKA C4 in it (respectively whatever it's called in Helldivers). It's the strategem of choice for the ultimate cool badass Helldiver. I just saunter over to a thickly armored enemy, drop a charge or two at its feet or whatever. Leisurely walk away, and then hit the detonate button. No matter what it is, it's going to go BOOM, and it's going to make me look real good! And I can have another resupply drop of the stuff every 3 minutes too. Talk about endless utility. Other lesser Helldivers jump into their Mechsuits with limited ammo and durability. Not me though. I'm a Jeep Stuff man through and through.

The bad news. 90% of randos dropping into my games don't understand the beauty of the UAV (which uncovers all samples hidden on the map when fully upgraded), and do not cooperate with my personal *sample seeking mission*, so I have to solo that by turning my game to private. That's a bummer. I guess I could hook up a mic and talk to people, but I rarely ever do that for anything.

P.S. For the first time today I beat a difficulty 8 planet. The experience further solidified my first impression that Helldivers might just be best online multiplayer experience for rando drop-in/drop-out coop to date. It's incredibly impressive what high quality teamwork just occurs naturally. Excellent design indeed. It makes one hell of a case for the beneficial properties of friendly fire, at least in a coop environment. I miss the days when Battlefield had the stones for friendly fire as the gold standard.

BranniganSepp on
This discussion has been closed.