Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Programming] Thread: Fixed last bug in 5 month thread

194969899100

Posts

  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    @bowen you could look at the Affero GPL also.

  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Affero GPL allows commercial use it looks like?

    Either way I'm thinking of going with GPL. If someone were to offer a patch it would be just a nightmare boondongle to claim that as "my own source" for distribution sources and CC-BY-NC doesn't really let me do what I want. It prevents people from taking my code and selling it, but it also prevents me from using other people's changes commercially if I chose to do so.

    I guess GPL is the best, because it prevents most of the people I want to prevent.

    Ladies.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Welp, the other dev is taking a personal day today. That means all his work is now moving to me.

    Ugh it's not like I wanted sleep anyway.

  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Welp, the other dev is taking a personal day today. That means all his work is now moving to me.

    Ugh it's not like I wanted sleep anyway.

    What's that honky? I think you're coming down with something... *coughcough*

    urahonkyDelmainthatassemblyguyecco the dolphin
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Welp, the other dev is taking a personal day today. That means all his work is now moving to me.

    Ugh it's not like I wanted sleep anyway.

    What's that honky? I think you're coming down with something... *coughcough*

    Lots of money involved if I can't make this happen.

    I won't fail at this point.

    crimsoncoyote
  • ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    @urahonky, finish this project for me and I myself will carry you to the gates of Valhalla. You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome.*

    * I may or may not have been watching Fury Road recently.

    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
    Infidelurahonkyecco the dolphincrimsoncoyote
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I've seen it three times.

    Not nearly enough.

    OrokosPA.png
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
    crimsoncoyote
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Affero GPL allows commercial use it looks like?

    Either way I'm thinking of going with GPL. If someone were to offer a patch it would be just a nightmare boondongle to claim that as "my own source" for distribution sources and CC-BY-NC doesn't really let me do what I want. It prevents people from taking my code and selling it, but it also prevents me from using other people's changes commercially if I chose to do so.

    I guess GPL is the best, because it prevents most of the people I want to prevent.

    It's the GPL with added provisions that mean they have to provide the source even if they're distributing it as a 'service' and not selling the program directly.

  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Affero GPL allows commercial use it looks like?

    Either way I'm thinking of going with GPL. If someone were to offer a patch it would be just a nightmare boondongle to claim that as "my own source" for distribution sources and CC-BY-NC doesn't really let me do what I want. It prevents people from taking my code and selling it, but it also prevents me from using other people's changes commercially if I chose to do so.

    I guess GPL is the best, because it prevents most of the people I want to prevent.

    It's the GPL with added provisions that mean they have to provide the source even if they're distributing it as a 'service' and not selling the program directly.

    Ah, that interests me then because it was going to be a web-based thing.

    Ladies.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    ironsizide wrote: »
    @urahonky, finish this project for me and I myself will carry you to the gates of Valhalla. You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome.*

    * I may or may not have been watching Fury Road recently.

    I have not seen it yet. Should I rectify this?

    Delmain
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    ironsizide wrote: »
    @urahonky, finish this project for me and I myself will carry you to the gates of Valhalla. You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome.*

    * I may or may not have been watching Fury Road recently.

    I have not seen it yet. Should I rectify this?

    Y

    syndalis wrote: »
    Apple is a terrible company.
    ironsizideEchoInfidelGilbert0DehumanizedShivahncrimsoncoyoteEvigilantPeewi
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yep, just got confirmation that they aren't going to renew the other dev's contract. He pretty much saved my job from being terminated before and was able to get me my raise.

    I don't know how I feel about this.

  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    He's a dev; he'll be fine.

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I think the thing is that he was the one that had all the grand ideas about this project. He was the one that went to the conference a few months ago with our CEO and head Doctor to meet and greet with other vendors and pathologists. He was the one who was basically turning this thing into a commercial product...

    I have no idea how to do any of this and I'm the only Developer remaining.

  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    start the job search

    Ladies.
    ironsizideDelmainmightyjongyoThe AnonymousEvigilant
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    start the job search

    if you didn't have to move to florida to do it, I'd say you should come work here

    syndalis wrote: »
    Apple is a terrible company.
    crimsoncoyote
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Florida's actually a nice place if you've got AC and like to do things, wildlife and theme parks aplenty.

    Ladies.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I was in Tampa for a week or so visiting a buddy of mine... I wouldn't do well in Florida.

    a5ehren
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Orlando's really chill to live in. Don't know the rest of the state.

    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
    crimsoncoyote
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Orlando's really chill to live in. Don't know the rest of the state.

    Stay away from the Tampa, Zephyr hills, and Inverness, that's where the olds congregate.

    Ladies.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    But like really, biodiversity in florida is really awesome, so much is going on all the time.

    Ladies.
    Mahnmut
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I was in Tampa for a week or so visiting a buddy of mine... I wouldn't do well in Florida.
    Yeah, I think Bowen is crazy on this one. The humidity makes the heat extra miserable when you're outside since your body's cooling system (sweating) doesn't work very well when the sweat has trouble evaporating. For similar reasons getting in some shade doesn't help you cool off nearly as much as it does when you're in a climate with dry heat. And you better like the smell of bug spray, because the mosquitoes are vicious if you're in a rural area (or campsites and the like). Plus the rain will frequently spoil outdoor activities.

    Source: I've lived in North Florida for the past 28 years. IMO if you move here you're either a) crazy, b) desperate, c) retiring and coming here to die.

    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    urahonkyDelmain
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah that's why I visit in the winter. Much easier to handle Disney when it's windy and 60 and there's a chance of rain.

    But summer Florida is miserable.

    Still a fun place if you like animals and theme parks!

    Ladies.
    urahonky
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah 72 degrees is perfect for me... Anything more and I sweat thinking about it. Adding in humidity makes it worse.

  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I would totally be migratory if I could afford it.

    Go live in Florida for the winter and come back up here in the Summer, or, somewhere else.

    That would be much more enjoyable than trying to find a place that isn't somewhat mild in the summer, but also not frigid in the summer.

    Also I can't do the PNW because of the rain, bad joints suck, it's been a really tough 2 weeks for me with all this rain in NY.

    Ladies.
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I live in St. Pete and just don't go outside from April until late October.

    Now, to be fair, the other 6 months are great because everyone's complaining about dying under feet of snow and we're like "what do you mean, it's a perfect 70F and sunny here" in January

    syndalis wrote: »
    Apple is a terrible company.
    bowencrimsoncoyote
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I would totally be migratory if I could afford it.

    Go live in Florida for the winter and come back up here in the Summer, or, somewhere else.

    That would be much more enjoyable than trying to find a place that isn't somewhat mild in the summer, but also not frigid in the summer.

    Also I can't do the PNW because of the rain, bad joints suck, it's been a really tough 2 weeks for me with all this rain in NY.

    In australia it never gets below 0.

    This is not good enough and as soon as possible I am going to move to terraformed Venus to be closer to the daystar.

    gavindel
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    One of the guys on the project-with-lots-of-warnings has removed ~96% of them by disabling the warning that boost headers generate for the parts of the compile where we're including boost, and turning them back on again afterwards:
    #ifdef _MAC
    #pragma clang diagnostic push
    #pragma clang diagnostic ignored "-Wredeclared-class-member"
    #endif
     
    #include <boost/function.hpp>
    #include <boost/bimap.hpp>
    #include <boost/signals2.hpp>
     
    #ifdef _MAC
    #pragma clang diagnostic pop
    #endif
    

    Potentially, upgrading to the latest Boost would also fix this, but nobody is particularly enthused about doing the amount of regression testing that would involve. Build logs are down from 272mb to 12mb (which is still a lot, but there are a lot of things getting built here, with or without boost's warning-ness in the mix).

    ecco the dolphin
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    I haven't been here much as I haven't been programming. But I met some of you in person last year at pax, and have gotten help with my programming. So I just have to say I got a text from Mrs. Alure:

    "Luke just said dad and very clearly a couple times."

    I wonder if he will like computers like me?

    Anyway, when I take my next programming class I will be back more, but I had to stop by and say hi. I also never saw, but if anyone is doing any meetup this year at pax, I would like to try and make it to see peeps again.

    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
    crimsoncoyoteMNC Doverecco the dolphinironsizideInfidel
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    start the job search

    Starting to sound like this is what I need to do. They told the other guy that they let him go because they couldn't afford the burn rate and didn't have anything lined up to commercialize what we wrote (yet). God damn it I'm tired of job searching.

  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Seriously. New job

    Magic Box
    Academician Prokhor "Phyphor" Zakharov, Chief Scientist of China, Provost of the University of Planet - SE++ Megagame
    InfideldanxThe Anonymouscrimsoncoyoteecco the dolphinDelmainmightyjongyoASimPersonbowena5ehrenEvigilantsyndalisTryCatcher
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    So, we're using ember-cli as our framework / build environment; you get a lot of stuff for free with that, it's a fairly complete solution. How much?

    This much

    okay, that's more than I expected.. Just plain Ember on its own is much lighter -- I hadn't realised just how many things come as part of javascript builders nowadays.

    urahonky
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    So, we're using ember-cli as our framework / build environment; you get a lot of stuff for free with that, it's a fairly complete solution. How much?

    This much

    okay, that's more than I expected.. Just plain Ember on its own is much lighter -- I hadn't realised just how many things come as part of javascript builders nowadays.

    God I love data visualization stuff.

  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    whyyyyyyyyyyyy does this package use a custom install script that uses flags that are incompatible with GNU Install. whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

    If I have to edit Makefile.in (or .am) to make your shit cross-compile, HULK SMASH

    a5ehren on
    ecco the dolphin
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    Got a promotion and a raise today!
    Praise urahonky!

    steam_sig.png
    RendmightyjongyoBarrakkethurahonkyKakodaimonosbuilderr0rironsizidePolaritiecrimsoncoyotedjmitchellaecco the dolphinCarpyEvigilantadmanbSyphyreInfidelThe AnonymousNija
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Okay I'm having this weird issue with React... shouldComponentUpdate and componentWillUpdate both never get called. The page is rendered and componentDidMount does get called, but I have a console.log in both shouldComponentUpdate and componentWillUpdate but never see it get fired. Anyone have an idea what's going on?

    It's a very, very simple web form for resetting a password. A single input and button is all. I'm not sure what's going on...

  • ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    Nothing like writing soup-to-nuts documentation for your replacement to make you realize how 1. woefully underpaid your where and 2. how happy you've got a new job.

    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
    crimsoncoyote
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i think i want to learn racket

    i dont know why i punish myself with these smalltalky languages

    but i guess you gotta go with what you know

  • htmhtm Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    but i guess you gotta go with what you know

    Jasconius knows parentheses?

This discussion has been closed.