Options

Rest in peace, Terry Pratchett

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    The Discworld novels were my absolute favorite. He and Douglas Adams achieved the ideal of comedic prose. RIP, Mr. Pratchett.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    If there's any solace to be had, Pratchett was a vocal supporter of the Right to Die campaign, and made it clear that he would life life to the full, and then die on his own terms, rather than letting Alzheimer's take him.

It's beyond sad that he's gone, but the odds are good that he died happy, on his own terms.

That said, Alzheimer's is the absolute worst.

Yeah. My grandmother passed twelve years ago from it, but the person she was at the end was not the grandma I knew and loved.

Please consider donating to research. It is a terrible, awful disease.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    His books are amazing. So many great characters.

This sucks.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Goodbye, Mr. Pratchett. You were one of the best authors in history.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    The t-shirt Terry Pratchett wore to conventions:

B_6DnLTWsAApx9O.jpg:large

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    I've only ever read Good Omens by him - I should probably fix that sometime. Any suggestions for good starting points?

find a character who sounds good and follow their books, rather than just starting at the beginning and reading through all of them.

The main groups are:

Rincewind and the other wizards (The Colour of Magic)
    Granny Weatherwax and the other witches (Equal Rites)
    Death (Mort)
    The City Watch (Guards, Guards!)

If you've never read any of the Discworld series, I'd recommend starting with Small Gods. It doesn't have any direct connections with the other books in the setting so it's a good place to jump in and get acclimated to the setting.

Also, there's a new main group in the more recent books, Moist von Lipwig (Going Postal, Making Money, Raising Steam).

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Rincewind ended up being my favorite character in the books, even though I like the Night Watch books as a whole more.

Just this completely sane man who sees how completely insane the discworld is, but realizes there isn't really anything he can do about it.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    I first picked up a Pratchett book in my school library. I was 11 and it was the comic version of Mort. I devoured that book, couldn't put it down. I was digging through the shelves for more of his stuff before lunch ended and took the Travelers books home with me.

His books have probably affected my life more than any other piece of media. I've grown up with them and grown more as a person than I think I would have without them. I might not be the person I am now if I'd never picked up a Discworld book.

I'm pretty torn up about this. More than I've ever been for the death of someone I've never met.

Fuck.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Falx wrote: »
    fuck

His books practically raised me.

I've read them over, and over and over and over again...

fuck

This is the best way I can put it as well. I've been reading his words for as long as I can remember and hes had a profound effect on my outlook on life.

RIP Terry Pratchett

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Crap, this one hits hard. I'm not upset that he died, exactly--everyone has their time, and I'm sure he's been prepared for this for some time now--but I'm very sad to live in a world without him in it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Reminded me of this Achewood strip:

comic_zps9r6kjsvd.gif

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I read an article that referred to his work as "satire", and it took me a moment to realize that it is an accurate term

I'm just so used to satire that is mean, or at least biting, stories with the warmth and humanity of Pratchett's didn't seem to fit the term

• Options
    RedBeardJimRedBeardJim Registered User regular

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I've only ever read Good Omens by him - I should probably fix that sometime. Any suggestions for good starting points?

Stand Alone stuff - Small Gods

My favorite books by him are about the City Watch. So in order of reading I'd recommend:
    Guards! Guards!
    Men at Arms
    Feet of Clay
    Jingo
    The Fifth Elephant
    Night Watch
    Thud!
    Snuff

Thanks - after Good Omens I wanted to read more, but the fact that most of his best known stuff are in longer series it was always a daunting task when faced with a shelf of his books at the store.

I'll have to hit the store this weekend and see what I can find.

• Options
    Oh man, I just realized I never finished his last book. I was reading it at my parents' house and accidentally left it there. I need to go get that.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I'm just sitting in my office, crying like crazy. I'm fucking wrecked.

I have been and will always be eternally grateful to the librarian who gave me Mort in junior high to read. It was from that point that Terry became my favorite author. I always recommend him to people and tell them to start with Mort or Guards! Guards! The first book I was going to buy for my daughter was This Is Not My Cow. I only slightly jokingly suggested to my wife we name our kid, no matter what, Sam.

I'm gonna miss him like hell.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I've never actually read one of his books

Can I start with the Death stuff?

That sounds the most interesting to me

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Mort is very good.

No I don't.
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Death is my favorite Discworld character

Followed shortly by Vimes

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I started with Death and the Witches.

My mum went to a signing of his when I was about 8, but had to leave before she could get her book signed to pick me up from school, years later when I found out I felt awful because I now loved him too. I wanted to surprise her one day with one of his books signed by him to make up for it.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Yes. Read mort first.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    I love the Death stuff. It's where I started. Grab Mort and Reaper Man if you want to start along that path.

Discworld reading guide for anyone who wants to check it out:
    the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    Oh man. I just finished Thud the other day and thought that was the last of the Night's Watch series, so thank you @Wearingglasses for pointing out that there is some more time to be had with Vimes and Co. Incidentally, here is a reading order guide for many of the books.

5df4f21d361561121949e07edbe1652e.jpg

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I started with Equal Rites, but he was still feeling out the world at that point - he really hit his stride with Mort.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I've never read any Pratchett

Mort is now on my hold list at the library

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    My favourite author next to Roald Dahl. Must have been a blessed release

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I love all of his characters, but I have a particular soft spot for Tiffany Aching.

Pratchett's legacy will live on as we introduce these stories to new readers.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    @wyborn you were made for these books

You'll love them

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I have a few books signed by him (going postal, I shall wear midnight, unseen academicals) and he without fail would comment on my hair looking like a 'ducks arse' each time

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Today a mere ball of flaming gas illuminates the world.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I'm just sitting in my office, crying like crazy. I'm fucking wrecked.

Yeah. I don't think Ive ever been so affected by the death of someone I didnt personally know. But on the other hand, thats what made him such a fantastic writer - we knew him through his books. While satirical and in many ways cynical about the nature of man, they also always felt so incredibly personal and warm. They felt like a direct reflection of him on the page.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Death is my favorite Discworld character

Followed shortly by Vimes

Death is one of my favorite characters period.
    I feel like Pratchett managed to strike just the right mixture of timeless alien intellect and a warm curiosity and affection for humanity.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    ceres wrote: »
    Today a mere ball of flaming gas illuminates the world.
    Hogfather wrote:
    “All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY.”

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Apparently his symptoms weren't affecting him as he thought they would up to 2012 so at least he wasn't constantly suffering the last 8 years.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    I bought my brother the almanac of the hygienic sto plains railway for xmas

It had some great illustrations

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    I just finished Mort for like the 15th time last week. I haven't re-read a lot of the Discworld in quite awhile so I've started over. Mort still has one of my favorite endings to a book.
    "Goodbye," Mort said, and was surprised to find a lump in his throat. "It's such an unpleasant word, isn't it?"

QUITE SO. Death grinned because, as has so often been remarked, he didn't have much option. But possibly he meant it, this time.

I PREFER AU REVOIR, he said.

THE END

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Back when I was teetering on the edge of legitimately being called a "young man", I was face with the prospect of putting away Goosebumps and Barf-O-Rama and reading proper, adult books. Instead, I picked up "The Colour of Magic" and went on from there, devouring everything Pratchett had written to date. The Discworld books were hilarious and insane and heavy with the kind of maturity that only comes from assiduously avoiding growing up. To me, they were and remain a life line in a world far too sensible to make any sense.

What do I say about Terry Pratchett? He saved me from becoming normal. I can offer no higher praise.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Terry Pratchett basically replaced the classical education I didn't have: Humanities, philosophy, critical thinking. He also taught me about the things an education can't get you, like how to deal with the creeping emptiness that comes from falling out of faith. Without Terry, I feel that I could have been a much stupider and far worse man than I am today.

ikbUJdU.jpg