Options

We're not doing this in [Movies]

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Isn't like one of the points of Cabin in the Woods that its characters are Stock Characters

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

One of the great things about Cabin in the Woods is that the characters are more than just the cliches they appear to be

But for a solid chunk of that movie they are the most stereotypical horror characters in the world

Not exactly fertile ground for YOU STOLE MY CHARACTERS

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    yall are crazy joe dirt is awesome

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    Mr. Spade, how do you feel about your upcoming project?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Is oceans 12 the one where they use the fact that she looks like julia roberts as part of the plan

because boy I sprinted out of the theater when that shit happened

I haven't seen Ocean's Twelve but it's always had my respect for this

I hate the idea of these people living in the real world but no one ever mentioning that hey this dude looks like George Clooney or whatever

• Options
    Is oceans 12 the one where they use the fact that she looks like julia roberts as part of the plan

because boy I sprinted out of the theater when that shit happened

I haven't seen Ocean's Twelve but it's always had my respect for this

I hate the idea of these people living in the real world but no one ever mentioning that hey this dude looks like George Clooney or whatever

its a movie

I literally, actually yelled "no no no" out loud and left the theater when that happens

its incredibly fucking dumb

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Yeah I love the Ocean's movies and that particular plot point is so far up its own ass it needs a flashlight

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Its the real world but those actors doent exist

There done

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Like how in Birdman, it's a universe where the MCU clearly exists, yet no one realizes Mike Shiner looks just like Edward Norton? Come on

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Like how in Birdman, it's a universe where the MCU clearly exists, yet no one realizes Mike Shiner looks just like Edward Norton? Come on

Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Abe Vigoda has been a man over 50 for the vast majority of his life

He was born 40 years old.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Vow this is probably the weirdest thing I've seen you talk about

Like not trying to insult you or anything

But I just can't wrap my head around how you would want this in more movies

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Vow have you never heard the term Suspension of Disbelief

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Mr. Spade, how do you feel about your upcoming project?

https://youtu.be/0F324755_oA?t=20

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Vow this is probably the weirdest thing I've seen you talk about

Like not trying to insult you or anything

But I just can't wrap my head around how you would want this in more movies

It actually typically doesn't bother me in things where they haven't established that those actors exist in their version of the real world

But in stuff like Birdman, it threw me off because they mention the MCU, and the MCU contains an Edward Norton film, and Edward Norton is an actor in the film

Last Action Hero deflected this pretty brilliantly

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Last Action Hero did a lot of things brilliantly.

Like having Charles Dance

• Options
    Let me tell you what it's like to live in my world, where I think about how one day Captain America is going to catch up on his list of things to do from Winter Soldier and see that Mace Windu looks exactly like Nick Fury

• Options
    Let me tell you what it's like to live in my world, where I think about how one day Captain America is going to catch up on his list of things to do from Winter Soldier and see that Mace Windu looks exactly like Nick Fury
    Your world is TERRIBLE

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Hopefully he never meets Jane Foster, aka Padme

• Options
    But what does that add besides being meta

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    But what does that add besides being meta

It doesn't add anything, it's probably not intended for people to take it as such, it's just how I perceive it

When I saw that list in Winter Soldier my mind immediately went to "what's Cap gonna think of Nirvana? Rocky? Star Wars?" and then I imagined what his reaction would be to seeing a Nick Fury look-alike as a Jedi master

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    IF THERE IS ONE THING MODERN MEDIA NEEDS IT'S MORE INTERTEXTUALITY

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Anyone who tells Captain America he needs to catch up on Star Wars knows to tell him not to watch those ones

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    The oceans 12 example is extra awful because WHY DOES IT ONLY APPLY TO JULIA ROBERS AND NOT THE OTHER 11 FAMOUS PEOPLE

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    IF THERE IS ONE THING MODERN MEDIA NEEDS IT'S MORE INTERTEXTUALITY

:winky:

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Well okay but what you gotta understand is that we can only perceive these people through their movies

In actuality, every character lives in their own world, and may not look exactly the way that we see them when we watch a movie

There's like, a set number of people that you can perceive in movies, you see

So we create archetypes, categories that characters fit on a largely cosmetic level

We've nicknamed these archetypes "actors", after our own theatrical traditions

But in actuality, every time you watch a movie you're staring through a portal into an alternate world, and the otherworldly things that intrepid human explorers (affectionately termed "directors", in connection to the actor name) managed to capture on their grueling journeys

• Options
    The oceans 12 example is extra awful because WHY DOES IT ONLY APPLY TO JULIA ROBERS AND NOT THE OTHER 11 FAMOUS PEOPLE
    Julia Robbers starring in Ocean's 12 is a good joke

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Well okay but what you gotta understand is that we can only perceive these people through their movies

In actuality, every character lives in their own world, and may not look exactly the way that we see them when we watch a movie

There's like, a set number of people that you can perceive in movies, you see

So we create archetypes, categories that characters fit on a largely cosmetic level

We've nicknamed these archetypes "actors", after our own theatrical traditions

But in actuality, every time you watch a movie you're staring through a portal into an alternate world, and the otherworldly things that intrepid human explorers (affectionately termed "directors", in connection to the actor name) managed to capture on their grueling journeys

STOPITSTOPITSTOPITSTOPIT

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Wait nobody steal that that's my new pitch

I'm not sure what I'm pitching or who I'm pitching it to but that's it for sure

• Options
    How come Mr. Burns and Smithers have never noticed they have the same voice

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular

You know someone said just make it a universe where these actors don't exist?

Well, what's wrong with making a universe where these actors don't exist other than Julia Roberts?

I'm fairly certain pretending to be a real celebrity is/was a real con.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    how come all of you are terrible? huh? answer THAT

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Well, what's wrong with making a universe where these actors don't exist other than Julia Roberts?

because it is a story breaking, ridiculous thing that forces you to go "oh yeah, this is a movie. none of this is real. And now they're winking and nodding so hard their head is gonna fall off"

I would be hard pressed to think of something that made me switch a film off quicker

• Options
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Because it is really dumb to go "Okay well Julia Roberts exists but George Clooney, Matt Damon, Brad Pitt, Don Cheadle, Andy Garcia, Bernie Mac and The Rest do not exist"

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Like, it sounds like if Ocean's 12 was a book or a comic and there were only written or drawn depictions of the characters, you'd be okay with the Julia Roberts angle.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Mysst wrote: »
    how come all of you are terrible? huh? answer THAT

genetics

• Options
    Is Terribleness nature or nurture

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Ok I'm not going to argue either way. I do know that now I have the mental image of Steve Rogers watching Pulp Fiction or Jurassic Park and suddenly just going

Wait. Wait just a darned minute.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Is Terribleness nature or nurture
    Naurtre

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

Joe Dirt is a guilty pleasure of mine.