As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GV10: [RESULTS] Best New Character: Results on Page 3!

13»

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I think Evan kind of suffers due to Axis though

He didn't stay full evil but it definitely hurt his excellent character arc

Nobody gets a perfect representation all the time

but I can genuinely say that no new character in the last ten years has excited me, upon their revealing, as much as Evan did

A lot of that was the quality of the book overall, but still, Evan leapt off the page from the get go. He was exciting and cool and interesting when he was literally just an unconscious guy hanging in a jar, because the themes of the character are so great and ingrained into his very nature.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I think Evan kind of suffers due to Axis though

He didn't stay full evil but it definitely hurt his excellent character arc

Nobody gets a perfect representation all the time

but I can genuinely say that no new character in the last ten years has excited me, upon their revealing, as much as Evan did

A lot of that was the quality of the book overall, but still, Evan leapt off the page from the get go. He was exciting and cool and interesting when he was literally just an unconscious guy hanging in a jar, because the themes of the character are so great and ingrained into his very nature.
    Oh I know

I just think it carries a little more weight since Remender wrote it too

Like if it was just some random writer then whatever sure bad stories happen but it was by the dude who created Evan and was apparently his plan all along which kind of sucks

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Kamala Khan.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    There's one thing about Evan in Axis that was pretty cool though:

He was the only one who was able to shake off his inverted state, as opposed to everyone else who went back to normal because of the reverse spell.

• Options
    Son of a bitch, I forgot to nominate Layla Miller

• Options
    Son of a bitch, I forgot to nominate Layla Miller
    She knows stuff

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Yeah, absolutely the worst part is she's not even surprised

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Hey everyone, here's where the points are for the top spots after 67 votes! Voting closes at 10 AM Central time!

obZ0iyl.jpg

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Son of BeyonderSon of Beyonder From Beyond BeyondRegistered User regular
    I voted for myself five times.

5u13zxvb47g3.jpg
  • Options
    RESULTS:

40-21

37) Battling Boy (0 pts)
    37) Dirk Anger (0 pts)
    37) Eric O’Grady (0 pts)
    37) Janice Lincoln (0 pts)

These are the four characters that failed to garner a single vote. Out of 72 ballots. No votes at all. As noted blogger Clark Kent would say…smh.

34) Aqualad (1 pt)
    34) Blue Marvel (1 pt)
    34) Miek (1 pt)

These guys each received one single fifth place vote each. At least someone remembered them!

33) Larfleeze (2 pts)

For a while, Larfleeze was tied with his Red Lantern counterpart. Ultimately, someone like Atrocitus more.

31) Bentley-23 (3 pts)
    31) Jo, Lumberjane (3 pts)
    28) Atrocitus (4 pts)
    28) Michonne (4 pts)
    28) Victoria Hand (4 pts)

Ultimately, though, people didn’t like Atrocitus that much more.

26) Izzy Kane, Smasher (5 pts)
    26) Lady Weeds (5 pts)

Lady Weeds only received one vote, but it was a second place vote, which is pretty good.

24) Marko, Saga (8 pts)
    24) Professor Pyg (8 pts)

Note: I still have no idea who Professor Pyg even is. Three of y’all liked him, though, but good on y’all.

22) Bob, Agent of Hydra (12 pts)
    22) Tony Chu (12 pts)

Bob performed well above my expectations. Also I just looked it up, and we’ve all been spelling Tony Chu wrong this whole time. I’m sorry, and so should you be.

21) Lucky, the Pizza Dog (13 pts)

Lucky finished just outside the top 20, which is pretty low for a dog that had his own comic book issue, but that’s fine. That’s okay, if you guys prefer cats that say one word and telepathic Russian cosmonaut dogs. That’s fine.

• Options
    20 – 11

19) Dr. Dinosaur (14 pts)
    19) Sam Alexander (14 pts)

If I was forced to break a tie here, Dr. Dinosaur would win because he is a dinosaur and Sam Alexander is a fan of the St. Louis Cardinals, which is a fundamentally disgusting thing to be and I do not trust him.

18) Broo (16 pts)
    16) John Diggle (18 pts)
    16) Manifold (18pts)

This is the part of the poll that starts to show off some of the weirdness of this whole thing. At 19 we have something called “Dr. Dinosaur,” then we get a spinoff from an X-Men villain (and not the only one in the poll), a character that debuted on a CW TV show, and an aboriginal teleporter. And then…

15) Suzie, Sex Criminals (19 pts)

…a character from a book called “Sex Criminals” and…

14) Alana (20 pts)

…then a character who leads off a brand new series talking about shitting while giving birth. What a time to be alive.

13) Maria Hill (25 pts)

Starting here, Marvel really starts to take over this poll. Marvel has 9 of the top 13 entries in this poll. Uh, spoiler alert, I guess.

12) America Chavez (29 pts)

I was a little bummed that America didn’t crack the top 10, but she’s made quite the impression for a character with as few appearances as she’s made. Here’s hoping she gets more chances to shine in the next decade.

11) Phil Coulson (41 pts)

Agent Coulson just barely got edged out of the top 10 at the very last minute, which is still pretty impressive for a character that was originally a throwaway supporting character in a movie that nobody expected to succeed. Coulson, more than any other character, really symbolizes how big the MCU really is in the public eye, I think.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    10-6

10) Lying Cat (42 pts)

BJar4Is.jpg

Lying Cat edged his way into the top 10 with the 71st vote out of 72. So Coulson fans, if you have a problem with this, you can thank @A steak! Lying Cat’s popularity was probably the most surprising thing out of this entire poll, to me. Fun fact: Lying Cat received the most fifth place votes, at 7.

9) Evan Sabahnur, Genesis (44 pts)

N4nRxr2.jpg

This is a character that wasn’t even on my radar when I first thought of doing this poll, but he’s been one of the most interesting entries on the list. And it was really satisfying to see him work his way up the poll as I collected entries.

8) Atomic Robo (45 pts)

5CsQxJI.jpg

Atomic Robo was another character that dramatically outperformed my expectations, and became the highest ranked character that’s not a part of Marvel or DC. I don’t have a great deal of things to say about him, because I’m not as familiar with him, but seeing him climb this high really makes me want to check him out. If nothing else, I hope this poll gets people to check out stuff they hadn’t thought to before.

7) Cosmo (48 pts)

CJ8SSXR.jpg

Remember when I said I was surprised by Lying Cat? I am not surprised that Cosmo made the top 7. Just on a conceptual level, Cosmo might be the coolest character on this list, and he’s probably the first dog to challenge Krypto as the best dog in all of comics.

6) Amadeus Cho (55 pts)

8wbflXa.jpg

If you look around, you’ll probably find some record of me talking loads of shit about Amadeus Cho. But he’s had great supporting turns in Hulk, and probably more importantly, in Incredible Hercules, and it’s pretty easy to see how he picked up the following he did. And now he’s right at the center of Hickman’s Avengers epic. Pretty good.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    TOP FIVE

5) Jaime Reyes, the Blue Beetle (89 pts)

BXi1OTi.png

The top five characters were not…terribly shocking, to be honest. But together they make a very strong argument for the past decade of comics, starting with Jaime, who is at once a really good example of DC taking a chance and creating something new and memorable, and DC not really knowing what to do with what they have, and his relative fall from prominence has something to do with his placing in this poll, I’d bet. Still, Jaime has made a pretty impact even outside of comics, which is very significant for a brand new character, and he’s in really good company at the top of this poll.

4) Damian Wayne, Robin (145 pts)

i8mSHT9.jpg

Damian is a character that could have been a disaster, very easily. That he became a character so beloved that fan outcry brought him back from the dead basically immediately is a testament to his development, and his role in the Batman family, which has unquestionably been the strongest part of DC comics for a while now, both in terms of sales and in terms of critical and fan support.

3) Kate Bishop, Hawkeye (153 pts)

6nFNPJX.jpg

I’m not sure what about Kate Bishop has endeared her to people more than just about any other Young Avenger. But I’d have to imagine a huge part of it has been her interactions with Clint Barton, and her spotlight stealing role in what was, ostensibly, a Hawkeye solo series. Regardless, she’s one of the few characters in Young Avengers to have success outside of various Young Avengers titles, and she’s really cool, so

2) Miles Morales, Ultimate Spider-Man (279 pts)

qEBswy4.jpg

The top spots in this poll are hardly surprising, and they quickly outpaced the rest of the competition to a staggering rate. Ultimately coming in a fairly close second, Miles is a shining example of how calls for diversity can lead to real, tangible, and awesome results. Miles also has the advantage of spinning out of one of the longest, greatest runs in comics history, and more than capably filled the shoes of one of the best Peter Parkers in all of comics. And I know, from being on the internet, that I’m not the only one who hopes Miles can make it to the big screen soon.

1) Kamala Khan, Ms. Marvel (306 pts)

hevDs7K.jpg

Kamala has been one of the most significant new comic book characters in recent memory, so it’s fitting she tops this list. There’s been a lot written about her significance and importance as a Muslim superhero, and that’s, indeed, one of the many things that makes her such a great character. Her faith informs her character, giving her something not many other characters can claim, but even beyond that, her journey into a larger world of superheroes is a perfect example of the kind of stories comics can tell when you marry traditional comic storytelling with brand new voices and new points of view.

Fun fact: Kamala appeared on 72% of all ballots. Miles appeared on 69%. The next closest character was Kate Bishop, at 51%. Kamala and Miles ran away with this competition.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I am glad that cosmo won out of the animals present. That is a good place for him.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I have no problems with that top 3. But still.

THAT FUCKIN HEDGEHOG MAN, WHEN ARE WE GETTING A HULKHANDS HEDGEHOG SERIES.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    better the Hulkhands Hedgehog than that "winged sloth" that @Blankzilla hallucinated about

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Look, Lying Cat is great but it's a fucking travesty that Alana is not the highest ranked Saga character.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Nice. Every character that I'm familiar with in 20th or above is great, and really it's just that I'm not super familiar with the lower ranked ones that keeps me from saying the whole list is great. Apparently I should get off my ass and go read Atomic Robo, especially since it's online these days.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Hey Geebs, thanks for organizing this! Really fun to see some debate on such a diverse and interesting group.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I'm surprised at how high Atomic Robo got, I thought DR Dinosaur would be higher than him (I voted for Dr. Dinosaur instead because he's more memorable).

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Look, Lying Cat is great but it's a fucking travesty that Alana is not the highest ranked Saga character.

that's a really weird typo, because I'm sure you meant to say "Sophie" there

• Options
    It's Alana then The Will and no one else is in the conversation.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    It's Alana then The Will and no one else is in the conversation.

I would have thrown a vote at Izabel as well.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    I didn't vote for any Saga characters because while I would say it is the best new series I've read recently each character meshes so well into the story that I wouldn't be able to single out any single one as being better than the others.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Oh thank God, I'm not the only weirdo who voted for Professor Pyg

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Oh thank God, I'm not the only weirdo who voted for Professor Pyg

All of you have been placed on a watch list

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Wow, Jaime not being in the top 3 shocked me. I sort of knew what the top 5 would be but my whole world is shattered, left in a battleworld somewhere.

But then Cosmo being so high raised my spirits!

• Options
    Jaime didn't actually make it onto a ton of ballots, compared to the other characters in the top five. The people who voted for him fucking loved him, though

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    i only really know him from young Justice to be honest. i need to read more DC...

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Jaime didn't actually make it onto a ton of ballots, compared to the other characters in the top five. The people who voted for him fucking loved him, though

Even in just a ten year span this feels like such a New Kids on the Block/ *Nsync generational gap.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Manifold in the top 20, I'm happy with that.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

I put him as my #1, for example.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote: »

I put him as my #1, for example.
    Yup yes hello

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Fun fact: if I organize the list by points per ballot, it goes:

1) Kamala, 2) Miles, 3) Jaime Reyes 4) Damian Wayne & Lady Weeds 6) Atomic Robo & Manifold 8) Cosmo 9) Kate Bishop and 10) Alana

Lying Cat would drop all the way down to 23rd

• Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    Bummer. I missed the voting on this one. My votes wouldn't have affected the top 10, but would have put my sole nomination higher on the list. haha