As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Everything [Battlefield] - Rumor: BF5 Set In (Alternate Reality?) World War I

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    What's wrong with the z11?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    What's wrong with the z11?

Starting with the fact that it is twice the length of the littlebird (actual hitbox) and then ending with the fact that the tail of it is an instant KIA if you even remotely touch it on anything is about enough.

In comparison the littlebird can be bellyflopped quite aggressively at a wide range of angles without KIAing or even taking damage, being half the length of the Z11 allows you to not only make cuts through areas that it isn't possible for the Z11 to do but also to traverse areas much quicker and safer as you have a much smaller hitbox for any dumbfire rockets/sraws. Any lock-ons or active radar missiles actually target the pilot and not the helicopter so you can't really compare that much on those grounds.

Gotcha. My experiance with choppers in bf4 was getting instafucked by stingers constantly.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Stingers are still bad in Hardline since most maps are pretty flat and it can be a bitch to dodge them. Still managed to keep the same chopper alive the whole match last night, thanks to my dedicated mechanic.

• Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Today, after hundreds of hours of BF4 I finally had a squad leader who would accept my orders while commanding.

I finally got that commander leadership ribbon! (I was also MVP which tells you something about the quality of the players on both teams).

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/1/585329830796322688/351929495/

Cobalt60 wrote: »
    Today, after hundreds of hours of BF4 I finally had a squad leader who would accept my orders while commanding.

I finally got that commander leadership ribbon! (I was also MVP which tells you something about the quality of the players on both teams).

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/1/585329830796322688/351929495/

So uh what about the medal(s)? Or the assignments that are tied to those?

• BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Stingers are still bad in Hardline since most maps are pretty flat and it can be a bitch to dodge them. Still managed to keep the same chopper alive the whole match last night, thanks to my dedicated mechanic.

It's admittedly a small change, but it makes a huge impact nonetheless, for those who care.

Instead of 32 potiental sources of Anti Air, there's but a couple of battle-pickups scattered about, and only a few potential AA-equipped cartrunks to worry about. Regardless of who has a launcher equipped, if that person has to engage in infantry combat, the launcher will be dropped to the ground and despawn rather quickly - so even if somebody is dead-set on being a stinger-wielding anti-flyboy-spoilsport, that person will never be as effective a spoilsport as any stinger carrying engineer, even the lowest skilled one, in BF3 & 4.

Just one of the many little changes, that bit of minutia, which makes Hardline more enjoyable to me than BF3 & 4 on average. Granted, its lesser scope and scale sometimes makes it feel comparatively threadbare, but I guess all the future BF4 content patches will give me more than enough reason to revisit it from time to time, and get my fix for *even more, even bigger Battlefield*.

BranniganSepp on
    iRevert wrote: »
    Cobalt60 wrote: »

So uh what about the medal(s)? Or the assignments that are tied to those?

I'll let you know when I get them in 4000 more hours of game time.

• BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I can't believe how pigheaded EA is about not region-locking servers on consoles. Everybody complains about Battlefield's netcode, and it's great that they're improving it, but what do all the netcode improvements matter, when I still get matched into servers with Japanese players, Brasilian player, North American players, African players? Zilch. Nothing. Nada.

Great example today. I fly my chopper on Everglades, suddenly I go from full health to like 17% durability or something. I got hit by a stinger of a Japanese player before I even got the warning beep. So yeah, I didn't sign up for that bullshit. I don't want to play with Japanese players. It makes the game considerably worse to play.

I understand that some people want to play with their friends all over the world. I understand that some players might only be able to play late at night or in the early morning hours, when local servers might not offer the optimal experience either, due to too few players being online. Some people just live in the boonies. It can't be helped. The simple solution? Offer some transcontinental servers in addtion to the locals-only servers. I expect strictly local servers for an optimal game performance with minimal latency-related bullshit. Not having that at all, not even as an option, that's some old bullshit.

So yeah. Why oh why would EA flippin' ruin their games by matchmaking people from all around the world onto the same servers? BF4's latency-related issues, and all latency-related issues in general, have hurt the brand Battlefield tremendously in recent years. It's idiocy of the highest order to not finally region-lock servers per default, while providing options for players to match-up transcontinentally, if they want or need to. The current situation is simply EA being pigheaded about the most obvious improvement for Battlefield.

BranniganSepp on
    edited April 2015
    iRevert was warned for this.
    I can't believe how pigheaded EA is about not region-locking servers on consoles. Everybody complains about Battlefield's netcode, and it's great that they're improving it, but what do all the netcode improvements matter, when I still get matched into servers with Japanese players, Brasilian player, North American players, African players? Zilch. Nothing. Nada.

Great example today. I fly my chopper on Everglades, suddenly I go from full health to like 17% durability or something. I got hit by a stinger of a Japanese player before I even got the warning beep. So yeah, I didn't sign up for that bullshit. I don't want to play with Japanese players. It makes the game considerably worse to play.

I understand that some people want to play with their friends all over the world. I understand that some players might only be able to play late at night or in the early morning hours, when local servers might not offer the optimal experience either, due to too few players being online. Some people just live in the boonies. It can't be helped. The simple solution? Offer some international servers in addtion to the locals-only servers. I expect to be allowed to chose between strictly local servers for a optimal game performance with minimal latency-related bullshit.

So yeah. Why oh why would EA flippin' ruin their games by matchmaking people from all around the world onto the same servers? BF4's latency-related issues, and all latency-related issues in general, have hurt the brand Battlefield tremendously in recent years. It's idiocy of the highest order to not finally region-lock servers per default, while providing options for players to match-up transcontinentally, if they want or need to. The current situation is simply EA being pigheaded about the most obvious improvement for Battlefield.

See that's where COD got it right, whenever we'd get a lobby that filled with Japanese players we'd just make sure to drop a nuke next round to end it and empty out the server.

Sterica on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    the best part was bf4 on pc when it first launched. The higher your ping was the better you did. We'd get rolled by 5 brazillian guys all with pings over 250.

Shogun wrote: »
    the best part was bf4 on pc when it first launched. The higher your ping was the better you did. We'd get rolled by 5 brazillian guys all with pings over 250.

Fun fact still works.

Source: Been banned from 4x more EU servers than US servers.

edited April 2015
    Back in the day, having a high ping would just render any online game unplayable for the affected player. That has changed.

All the modern tricks, like predictive algorithms and whatnot, ensure that players perceive their online interactions as smooth regardless of their ping, and that their *server presence* seems smooth from the outside - however, players with high ping are in a kind of a time warp field in server reality, where-in the server catches-up in waves with what the high ping player does - which results in high ping players shooting at bigger hitboxes, dealing time-compacted damage, translating into one-frame-deaths, me not getting a lock-on warning from a Japanese Stinger on a European server, and so forth.

Since we will never go back to un-smoothed networking of games, high ping players will always be a problem, with their in-game reality defying hi-jinks. As that is true, and will remain true, so are players who seek out out-of-region servers to benefit from these effects to bolster their competitive edge. Something has to be done to combat this, and region-locking servers is the only step to take, short of the creation of that global low orbit sat internet Elon Musk is talking about, which is when a Japanese player supposedly would have the practically same ping to a European server as a European player currently does have. That future isn't here yet though.

BranniganSepp on
    Back in the day, having a high ping would just render any online game unplayable for the affected player. That has changed.

All the modern tricks, like predictive algorithms and whatnot, ensure that players perceive their online interactions as smooth regardless of their ping, and that their *server presence* seems smooth from the outside - however, players with high ping are in a kind of a time warp field in server reality, where-in the server catches-up in waves with what the high ping player does - which results in high ping players shooting at bigger hitboxes, dealing time-compacted damage, translating into one-frame-deaths, me not getting a lock-on warning from a Japanese Stinger on a European server, and so forth.

Since we will never go back to un-smoothed networking of games, high ping players will always be a problem, with their in-game reality defying hi-jinks. As that is true, and will remain true, so are players who seek out out-of-region servers to benefit from these effects to bolster their competitive edge. Something has to be done to combat this, and region-locking servers is the only step to take, short of the creation of that global low orbit sat internet Elon Musk is talking about, which is when a Japanese player supposedly would have the practically same ping to a European server as a European player currently does have. That future isn't here yet though.

See this is why I like ping-limited servers. Over 150 ping? Go find a new server.

I've enjoyed Hotline but i'm having buyers remorse. especially since i went digital and can't trade it. any time ive felt an urge to play bf lately has been for 4, not hotline

edited April 2015
    The following features and fixes are included in Patch 1.02 release for PlayStation 4.

Battlepacks
    - Bronze packs – changes made to the last slot drop to improve the chances of collectibles and vouchers rather than boosts.
    - Silver packs - made the first 3 slots like a Bronze pack, and removed any chances of getting standard drops and increased the chances of collectibles for the last slot.
    - Gold packs - made the first 4 slots as Silver pack, and removed any chances of getting standard items, drops advanced vouchers and greatly increased the chances of - getting superior or distinguished items.

Battlepickups
    - Adjusted the RPG to only have 1 ammo when picked up from a vehicle trunk and to have less splash damage.

Crash Fixes
    - Fixed a crash related to some specific Nvidia based video cards.
    - Fixed crashes in multiplayer based on data from BugSentry (internal crash tracking tool for live servers).

Gameplay
    - Bullet impacts near the player no longer cause camera shake in certain cases.
    - Fixed an issue in the Hollywood Heights map that allowed players to grab cash through a roof in the Blood Money game mode.

Modes
    - Fixed an issue where the Hotwire game mode was showing as available for the Hollywood Heights MP map.
    - Adjusted Team Death Match spawns so player is closer to friendlies and further from enemies.
    - Adjusted tickets to 600 for Conquest Small and 999 for Conquest Large.
    - Added Conquest Large to the Growhouse map.

Servers
    - Fixed an issue with server customization settings for certain game modes.
    - Rent-a-Server functionality added.

Shortcuts
    - Shortcut Kits added.
    - Updated game to support all items granted in Shortcut Kits.

Squads
    - Fixed an issue were a squad leader gets disconnected and the new leader cannot kick members of the squad or disband the squad.

UI
    - Fixed an issue where players could bypass the timer at the beginning of the round during Rescue and Crosshair.

Vehicles
    - Reduced the health of the couch and reduced the rate at which it can be repaired.
    - Adjusted the criminal and law enforcement variants of the sedan so that they now take the same damage per bullet from weapons.

Weapon Tuning
    - K10 - reduced start damage to 33 and end damage to 8
    - Saiga, PTR 91, HCAR, and HK51 - reduced the amount of vertical recoil
    - RO993 - increased the rate of fire to 850
    - Jury 410 - increased the amount of damage per pellet to 20
    - FMG9 - increased max damage to 25
    - Battle Rifle ammo - increased min damage to 25
    - AKM - bullet min damage decreased to 24

Let us know how you like the changes and fixes by sounding off here in the Battlefield Hardline forums!

Just got done doing a full map rotation of TDM64 and the spawns are indeed fixed. Didn't have any glaring spawnissues whatsoever. So that's great.

I'm disappointed that boosters still apply to the scoreboard directly, instead of being just added to XP earned after the fact. It's so silly to be outscored by people with extreme boosters. Way to kill the spirit of competition. Of course I'd have better boosters, if I wouldn't be saving up for the 10 million hoarder assignment for the mask.

I've got an issue with the Bald Eagle. Faulty trigger action. It doesn't fire unless I hold down the trigger for like a half a second for each pull. It's a shame they didn't get around to fixing that yet either. Some say it's an issue with some early adopter PS4 gamepads. I say it's pure bullshit. It's the only affected gun (as well as some battlepickup bolt action rifles in BF4), so I'd say my pad is functional and their code is bullshit. They better fix that soon, because I love that gun.

Dunno about weapons balance. High rate of fire weapons like the K10 and MAC-10 still can feel like bullshit, especially when getting shot by players from another continent. I played engineer with the MPX and UMP-45 and did consistently well - even got like 3 or 4 MVPs out of the 9 matches I played post patch. These were mid-tier guns pre patch, but I always did quite well regardless of if I played with a top tier weapon or not - so I can't really tell. I'm not the type to go to Symthic for stats, I'll just let the youtubers give me the skinny on the new gun balance. It's seems marginally better to me.

P.S. Seeing how Hardline has like 10x more concurrent players on PS4 than on PC, I guess it's appropriate to post the PS4 patch notes. I bet the PC ones are quite similar.

BranniganSepp on
  • jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    Anyone playing this on PS4 or is this glorious master race only? PSN is jonnymac439. Feel free to add me.

edited April 2015
    I'm super salty that Visceral didn't get around to rebalance the reputation system yet. I'm a comparatively great player, and it's practically impossible for me to achieve reputation rank 4 without the help of a hacker. Got rep 4 like four times legitimately on my own (with insanely beneficial and extremely out of the ordinary circumstances, like 10+ camping snipers sitting on the central rooftop on Riptide grabbing ammo from my crate forever and ever), had a non-biased hacker award it to me twice, and I did a handful boosting on a nigh empty Hotwire server with a 100% rep boost.

I hate assigments that are making me dependent on third parties. Where's the achievement in that? It's just encouraging a circlejerk amongst friends, and unorganic gamedisrupting behavior, as well as artificial boosting - all of which intolerably boring to me. They better rethink the design of the reputation system, and quick. Everytime I go about unlocking those guns, there's a bile build-up in my gut. I hate the design of that assignment, respectively the reputation system so much.

BranniganSepp on
    I'm super salty that Visceral didn't get around to rebalance the reputation system yet. I'm a comparatively great player, and it's practically impossible for me to achieve reputation rank 4 without the help of a hacker. Got rep 4 like four times legitimately on my own (with insanely beneficial and extremely out of the ordinary circumstances, like 10+ camping snipers sitting on the central rooftop on Riptide grabbing ammo from my crate forever and ever), had a non-biased hacker award it to me twice, and I did a handful boosting on a nigh empty Hotwire server with a 100% rep boost.

I hate assigments that are making me dependent on third parties. Where's the achievement in that? It's just encouraging a circlejerk amongst friends, and unorganic gamedisrupting behavior, as well as artificial boosting - all of which intolerably boring to me. They better rethink the design of the reputation system, and quick. Everytime I go about unlocking those guns, there's a bile build-up in my gut. I hate the design of that assignment, respectively the reputation system so much.

Teamwork in battlefield is only enjoyed by filthy casuals.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I helped a friend earn the ten rep 4 levels as a hacker and it was pretty easy. It is a little disingenuous to have such easy looking achievements/trophies when they are actually locked behind some very difficult requirements. I did not play bf4 so I am not sure if they made very many improvements between the two iterations. But the ui and some of the design choices are fucking bizarre. One question, possibly just for ps4 owners, is anyone getting instantly killed? I run around a corner and am almost immediately killed. I think it has something to so with my ping but I cannot figure out why it is behaving like that. I think it has something to do with the network code but I cannot find anything online to explain it. Does anyone have any ideas?

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    edited May 2015

For a lone wolf player teamwork is about reading the flow of the map, and applying what personal prowess he or she commands to a spot where that additional pressure will be the most beneficial to the overall effort. In addition to all the things you just naturally do as a veteran player. Healing, repairing, spotting, reviving, gunning - the works.

Making buddy-buddy with someone outside of the game, so that that person is willing to bite the bullet and play the most boring RTS-alike in history, where no unit ever does what you want, while also ruining the actual moment to moment FPS gameplay with undeserved 2D-spots and whatnot, is hardly to be called teamwork - or beneficial to the game. Linking the reputation system to that stinker of a system, to the point that reputation rank 4 cannot reasonably be achieved without a hacker, and by circumstance the weapon unlock process, is flat-out retarded.

The only reason commander mode still exists is that the second screen funtionality is a corporate mandate from EA, because game-wise, it has proven time and time again that it's detrimental to the experience. Pretty much every outspoken Battlefield player whose opinions I respect agrees in that. Commander/Hacker mode is bullshit.

You yourself admitted that you unlocked the weapons by unnaturally boosting with a friend, and not by organic gameplay. You guys probably set-up a slip 'n slide with grappling hooks and zip lines for each other, climbing up and sliding down each other's gear all round long in the safety of out of bounds - pretty much literally a circlejerk amongst friends. Is that kind of behavior to be enouraged and commended by design? That's the kind of poppycock you're defending right now. Come on!

BranniganSepp on
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

The only reason commander mode still exists is that the second screen funtionality is a corporate mandate from EA, because game-wise, it has proven time and time again that it's detrimental to the experience. Pretty much every outspoken Battlefield player whose opinions I respect agrees in that. Commander/Hacker mode is bullshit.

I just wanted to reply to this bit, since outside of the context of Hardline's unlocking system, Commander/Hacker mode is anything but bullshit. And here is my rebuttal to the claim that it is bullshit:

Battlefield 2 had it...and there was much bitching at DICE when BF3 didn't have Commander mode. Because of that, Commander mode has a clear and important purpose: to fill in that bulletpoint and appease the super-fans who view BF2 as the pinnacle of Battlefieldom (mostly because of the Commander mode...and certainly not because the game was actually any good).
    It should be noted that while not quite firmly embedded in cheek, my tongue is definitely wedged in there...but that may be due to a prior condition.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Erlkönig wrote: »

I just wanted to reply to this bit, since outside of the context of Hardline's unlocking system, Commander/Hacker mode is anything but bullshit. And here is my rebuttal to the claim that it is bullshit:

Battlefield 2 had it...and there was much bitching at DICE when BF3 didn't have Commander mode. Because of that, Commander mode has a clear and important purpose: to fill in that bulletpoint and appease the super-fans who view BF2 as the pinnacle of Battlefieldom (mostly because of the Commander mode...and certainly not because the game was actually any good).
    It should be noted that while not quite firmly embedded in cheek, my tongue is definitely wedged in there...but that may be due to a prior condition.

Alright. I agree with you. There's two reasons for why commander mode is still in the game. Both of 'em are poppycock of course, but here we are.

For a lone wolf player teamwork is about reading the flow of the map, and applying what personal prowess he or she commands to a spot where that additional pressure will be the most beneficial to the overall effort. In addition to all the things you just naturally do as a veteran player. Healing, repairing, spotting, reviving, gunning - the works.

Making buddy-buddy with someone outside of the game, so that that person is willing to bite the bullet and play the most boring RTS-alike in history, where no unit ever does what you want, while also ruining the actual moment to moment FPS gameplay with undeserved 2D-spots and whatnot, is hardly to be called teamwork - or beneficial to the game. Linking the reputation system to that stinker of a system, to the point that reputation rank 4 cannot reasonably be achieved without a hacker, and by circumstance the weapon unlock process, is flat-out retarded.

You yourself admitted that you unlocked the weapons by unnaturally boosting with a friend, and not by organic gameplay. You guys probably set-up a slip 'n slide with grappling hooks and zip lines for each other, climbing up and sliding down each other's gear all round long in the safety of out of bounds - pretty much literally a circlejerk amongst friends. Is that kind of behavior to be enouraged and commended by design? That's the kind of poppycock you're defending right now. Come on!

Keeping in mind that I do not own Hardline, and that this boosting was done during a limited demo/beta period just for shits-n-giggles.

It has finally happend. UFOs and Megalodon's on Paracel Storm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtrTcLU1xQA

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    are you serious dude the megalodon was found over a year ago. Maybe even longer.

are you serious dude the megalodon was found over a year ago. Maybe even longer.

It was deactivated as to stop people from abusing it/not doing anything except triggering it in the base game. It was only recently turned back on in the CTE to celebrate the 100th CTE patch/update/tweak that they've tested.

Good times getting octokills with the gunship on all those people trying to initiate the megalodon.

edited May 2015

It was deactivated as to stop people from abusing it/not doing anything except triggering it in the base game. It was only recently turned back on in the CTE to celebrate the 100th CTE patch/update/tweak that they've tested.

Um actually, the Megalodon you think of is on Nansha Strike, a Naval Strike expansion map. Paracel Storm is a vanilla map, and the rumour of the Megalodon has always been about Paracel Storm. There were tons of hints in the game about it, but since these easter eggs are all passion projects, and are coded off the clock, they never got around to finishing it up.

So yeah, this is the actual for real original easter egg that started it all in BF4. If you'd have watched the video, you'd have seen how it isn't the same easter egg you think of. It's much more elaborate with UFOs and multiple trigger points. Hella awesome. It's only on CTE right now, but I bet it'll be in the core game soon enough.

BranniganSepp on
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I've just got Hardline on the ps4 if some ps4 people want to send me some friend request ? I'm Eyekia.

I might run through single player first, so probably won't be onlining until later in the week.

M-Vickers on
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I'm Reaper_Stragint on PS4 if anyone wants to play hardline or BF4

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    edited May 2015

Um actually, the Megalodon you think of is on Nansha Strike, a Naval Strike expansion map. Paracel Storm is a vanilla map, and the rumour of the Megalodon has always been about Paracel Storm. There were tons of hints in the game about it, but since these easter eggs are all passion projects, and are coded off the clock, they never got around to finishing it up.

So yeah, this is the actual for real original easter egg that started it all in BF4. If you'd have watched the video, you'd have seen how it isn't the same easter egg you think of. It's much more elaborate with UFOs and multiple trigger points. Hella awesome. It's only on CTE right now, but I bet it'll be in the core game soon enough.

It was found last year on Paracel, there is a jet kill video showing it where a (staged) jet chase past the leap area takes out the pursuing jet date of upload on that video puts it last year so its been found for quite some time now .

iRevert on

It was found last year on Paracel, there is a jet kill video showing it where a (staged) jet chase past the leap area takes out the pursuing jet date of upload on that video puts it last year so its been found for quite some time now .

I think JackFrags, who did most of the community organizing for the easter egg hunt, would be more knowledgable on the subject. According to him, the Easter Egg was never completed and never in the game before CTE Patch 100.

edited May 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34N7hoemeiI

BF4 CTE currently tests 120Hz tickrate. In other words, 64 player Battlefield potentially has as tight a netcode as the highest fidelity counterstrike servers. At least on PC CTE. Wonder how much, or how little, will translate to its release version, especially on consoles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKeglUzMGTM

Too bad tight netcode will never ever make up for the fact that I often play with and against players from the other side of globe. I really hope Sony and Microsoft will allow region-locking servers on their service, because the rumored 300 ping forced tolerance is horrendous, and detrimental to everybody's experience - like being defenseless against a Stinger shot from Japan, because by the time I hear the warning beep, I've already been shot down. Out-of-region players related time-and-space-compacting warp wave gaming is irksome and tiring.

Japs riding that warp wave like the USS Enterprise everywhere. My lord.

BranniganSepp on
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Eh, I really hate region locked servers because they fuck with the times I want to play with friends in other continents.

A better solution is a soft lock kind of thing that brings up a pop up saying 'your game experience is gonna suck' if you try to load into a server with 250+ ping.

edited May 2015
    Eh, I really hate region locked servers because they fuck with the times I want to play with friends in other continents.

A better solution is a soft lock kind of thing that brings up a pop up saying 'your game experience is gonna suck' if you try to load into a server with 250+ ping.

The thing is, it's not going to suck for you, as much as it's going to suck for everybody else.

High ping players tend to synchronize with the server in waves, their actions get compacted, leading to one-frame deaths for your victims, and uncounterable lock-on warfare, because your target can't flare soon enough, since the lock-on warning lags behind, and so forth - a nigh endless list of bullshit. When decisive split-second reactions crown the victor, having players on the battlefield riding a 300+ millisecond timewarp wave is simply breaking the game. At this point, pretty much 100% of *bad netcode* allegations levelled against the Battlefield franchise are not about netcode at all, but about the abysmal management of the global playerbase. Especially on consoles, where discriminating out-of-region players for high ping is practically impossible.

I'm always selecting EU servers in my serverbrowser, yet somehow players from Japan, Australia, Brasil, god knows where, end up playing with me, and with them come all the latency-related issues Battlefield has been condemned for - and I think that stinks to the high heavens. I don't understand why Sony, Microsoft, EA and DICE don't fix their online community management first, before going nuts over netcode. It's great that DICE is improving their netcode, bringing it up to unprecedented levels for such a high playercount game, but it matters little and less, as long as out-of-region players get to connect to servers all over the world willy-nilly.

Essentially, Sony and Microsoft have to allow developers to opt out of global matchmaking, respectively let players opt in. I didn't sign up to play a split-second TTK game with Australians and Japanese people, who have a ping of 300+. How isn't that blatantly obvious? I want an optimal gaming experience, there's enough of a playerbase in Europe to allow for that - why should I have to tolerate less than optimal gameplay, because some players don't know how to work a serverbrowser, or do connect to out-of-region servers maliciously for a competitive edge?

I think most servers should be region locked. It should be the default setting. However, there should be cross-regional servers set-up for those who need and want them. Something you opt into. A filter you activate on your serverbrowser when you don't find a suitable server otherwise, or when you want to play with international friends.

It can't stand that the playerbase at large has to suffer for the whims of the few, without any say in the matter. Poppycock of the highest order. The base assumption should be that every player wants an optimal gameplay experience. Exceptions like wanting to play with out-of-region friends is something players should have to opt into, and not be a default allowance as it is now, since it is to detriment of everybody's online experience.

BranniganSepp on
  • DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    BF4 + Premium is like 25 bucks right now. Hrm this is tempting, I haven't played an fps in quite awhile and that price is great. Did everyone abandon BF4 for Hardline or would this be worth it?

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
    Bf4 seems alive and well on the xb1. Hardline is fun but kind of a disappointment.

Id say go for it if youre itching for an mp shooter. Doubly so if you have any love for the bf series

edited May 2015
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    BF4 + Premium is like 25 bucks right now. Hrm this is tempting, I haven't played an fps in quite awhile and that price is great. Did everyone abandon BF4 for Hardline or would this be worth it?

bf4stats.com/
    bfhstats.com/

Actually it's quite the opposite. The PC playerbase didn't take to Hardline at all - the stubborn goats they are. BF4 has like 6x more concurrent players than Hardline has on PC. You can see the concurrent playerbase on the above sites. Even BF:BC 2 still has about 1500 concurrent players right now. Battlefield games generally don't die, and if they do, it's years down the line.

Even Hardline, which doesn't have a strong playerbase right now on PC will have players for years to come. Why? Because it's actually a very fun and very good Battlefield game, and once the Negative Nancy mentality starts to die down, and the price is coming down as well, many of those stubborn goats will actually come to love Hardline, when they finally give it a proper chance.

Anyways, at 25$ BF4&Premium are a steal. I've already played more than 1200 hours of it, and I'm looking forward to playing it even more soon. Spring patch with a bunch of new and totally free weapons comes out later this month, and there's a free map pack in the works for later this Summer with a community designed map, as well as night time maps, and likely one or two fan favorite maps from the past (so likely something like Karkand, Oasis or Wake).

Save for somewhat too prevalent lock-on warfare and some questionable indirect gadgets (UCAV, mortar, SUAV, MAV), as well as the gosh darn Commander, BF4 is flippin' amazing. Go get!

BranniganSepp on
    Hardline is a glorified BF4 mod which they had the balls to charge full price for.