As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Movies]: All Australia jokes, all the time

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I know im very late to the party, but I finally got around to watching the Lego Movie. Watched it with my six year old niece who seemed bored, but she has seen it before.

I thought the movie had a cute story that went right over kids heads and appealed to adults. It probably has enough action and moving parts to keep children entertained. Amusingly, that earworm song that everyone was singing is sort of the anthem of the lego people who are sort of asleep and drone like.

The big moral message of the film that seemed aimed at the kids, that everyone is "special" and the best thing is when everyone works together is pretty sorely needed. I honestly think it was balsy as hell to subvert the chosen one trope and invoke the much maligned idea that everyone is awesome. Virtually all media these days wallows in the message that only the specially special most special magical special person is really worthwhile (see all disney princess media) and I think its toxic garbage that kids and parents are way too eager to lap up.

The message aimed at the adults, about letting the chaos and unexpected things about raising kids be a positive thing was nice, though most parents who aren't on the verge of losing it probably knew this already. I mean, anyone so tightly wound they wont let their kid play with their legos is pretty extremely angling for a coronary
    The ending with the duplo blocks was adorable.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Wow. Would not have called that. Thought the trailers would have put people off.

I don't really get this sentiment, and I've been hearing it a lot. I'm not sure why "cute Pixar movie with an original idea and Leslie Knope being adorable" would have put off anybody. Do we really think "kinda dark movie about childhood depression, but with jokes" would've packed the theaters more?

I mean, this forum is not exactly the target demographic for their media blitz.

I meant it didn't look like it'd appeal to kids. There wasn't any of the 'humour' you associate with recent CGI movies. No one fell over and farted.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Wow. Would not have called that. Thought the trailers would have put people off.

I don't really get this sentiment, and I've been hearing it a lot. I'm not sure why "cute Pixar movie with an original idea and Leslie Knope being adorable" would have put off anybody. Do we really think "kinda dark movie about childhood depression, but with jokes" would've packed the theaters more?

I meant it didn't look like it'd appeal to kids. There wasn't any of the 'humour' you associate with recent CGI movies. No one fell over and farted.

In my experience, there's a difference between what kids find funny and what adults think kids find funny.

• Options
    Oh, I know that! But the marketing for Cars, and Minions and Cars Expanded Universe: Planes would have you believe otherwise. Inside Out doesn't look like one of those, so I assumed it wouldn't kill it. I am very glad to be wrong.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    So, Coherence. It was... interesting.

It wasn't especially good, though. This was a film wholly invested in its concept and completely uninvested in anything else. The characters are entirely unsympathetic and largely interchangeable (lol) for most of the run time, and they decided to one-up the horror movie trope of characters acting stupidly by making them act completely nonsensically. Spoilers:
    What kind of people get that freaked out by a power outage? And then can't last five minutes before freaking out? When you're going to the house down the street to ask to use the phone, why do you bang on the door loudly and then run away? When weird stuff starts happening, why is the response "Hey, I wonder if there are any books in this suburban house that happen to be about strange quantum physical phenomenon?" And then why is that a thing which totally happens to exist there? Why, when one of your guests seriously suggests going to the mysterious house and murdering everyone inside, is he not greeted with "Jesus Christ, what the fuck is wrong with you?" and then locked up?

The last thirty minutes or so, as everything is going to shit, is pretty interesting. Though, again, since we're given no reason to care about these people, it's all academic. I'm curious about what will happen next, but I don't care.
    The last ten minutes or so, of Blonde Girl strolling from house to house and seeing all her alt-version friends be complete fuckwits, was pretty cool. I liked her finding a great group of her friends and then trying to straight-up murder her alt-self. And I liked the conceit of "What if we're the dark versions? That was cool. I did not like the ending cutting away for the sake of ambiguity, because it did not earn it. It felt less like "We are making a point by leaving this story unfinished" and more "Shit, we're out of film."

I'd recommend it as a cool concept with some neat ideas, but I think it fails as a narrative. It feels like a Twilight Zone episode that was stretched out to 90 minutes. But I've seen worse. I give it one Schroedinger's Cat out of two.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    The one part of Coherence I didn't really like was kind of undercut by it suddenly making sense a scene later...
    When they're coming up with the system for proof of house, rolling the dice and putting the numbers on photos and putting em in the box, it was like they were suddenly unaware they were creating the thing they'd found earlier, and it drove me nuts that they were 'accidentally' doing it.

But then in the next scene it turns out none of these folk were from that original house where they found the box anyway. So it was obvious to the viewer, but not to them.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Yeah, that was one of the cool bits. There were lots of cool bits. The movie just felt lazy in the way it tried to connect all the cool bits into a coherent story dammit I almost made it without using that stupid pun.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Watched Gone Girl with mixed feelings. I think it was a good film but holy shit there was some messed up stuff in it and the ending was kind of WTF. I finally understand all of these "I took a date to see this film and boy was that a mistake" comments I have seen, though.

Also watched Blackhat which I enjoyed mostly on the back of getting some of the hacking stuff right and because I love Michael Mann, but also went off the rails at some point and Hacker-Thor had some skills that weren't really justified by his background.
    I do like that he approached the final confrontation like someone who spent time in prison, though

• Options
    FantastikaFantastika Betting That The Levee Will HoldRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015

It wasn't especially good, though. This was a film wholly invested in its concept and completely uninvested in anything else. The characters are entirely unsympathetic and largely interchangeable (lol) for most of the run time, and they decided to one-up the horror movie trope of characters acting stupidly by making them act completely nonsensically. Spoilers:
    What kind of people get that freaked out by a power outage? And then can't last five minutes before freaking out? When you're going to the house down the street to ask to use the phone, why do you bang on the door loudly and then run away? When weird stuff starts happening, why is the response "Hey, I wonder if there are any books in this suburban house that happen to be about strange quantum physical phenomenon?" And then why is that a thing which totally happens to exist there? Why, when one of your guests seriously suggests going to the mysterious house and murdering everyone inside, is he not greeted with "Jesus Christ, what the fuck is wrong with you?" and then locked up?

Yeah, this seems to be a thing with indie sci-fi movies. Or at least the ones I've seen.
    Everyone turns to murder so quickly it makes me think they all take place in the same universe as Anchorman.

Reminds me of this film I saw a couple weeks back called +1 where the same thing happens.
    Everyone finds out that time-shifted duplicates are appearing and their first response is to murder the fuck out of them. But then again the film featured the protagonist murdering his real girlfriend and replacing her with a time-shifted duplicate because he was mad she broke up with him. So, it had some other issues as well. To be fair, all the characters are teenagers, so I can see them being kind of stupid and rash and jumping to murder right away. Interesting idea behind the film though

Fantastika on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Time-shifted like it's them but from the future?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Inside Out.

I'd like to comment about a few posts here.

A bit of a disclaimer. I'm a 41 year old male. I went to see the movie alone. I honestly do not give a shit who knows it. Pixar owns a piece of my soul and until it betrays me hard, I will be first in line to see every movie they make.

Next. Yes, my theater had a lot of tween girls in it. The ones behind me were annoying because they were talking about the pre-movie short being terrible. The same girls were sobbing through a good half the movie. Kids today...I thought Lava was a little sappy but made me smile anyway.

I think the presence of girls/boys in her head was simply because she was a child...her identity was still being formed by her memories.
    Just like the Bus driver had all angry avatars in his head, I'm pretty sure these things are all mutable based on your personality.
    Try not to look too deeply into it for hidden meanings. She loved sports, the mix could easily be called a tomboy personality. I really doubt Pixar was going for the suggestion shes got some kind of sexual identity issues.

It was a brilliant show. Go. See. It.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I'm going to need you guys to stop recommending Inside Out. My wife has decided she does not want to see it based on the shitty first wave of trailers, so we will not be seeing it until it can be rented, and all your gushing is doing me no favors.

Please.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So you guys talking about Inside out being an old yellar tells me "Stay away preacher just stay away."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Noah, surprisingly good film. In fact, you know what Noah saw when the water receded?

HampGcertified_zpscfa5a07b.jpg

So the story is much more environmental and creative with why Earth needs to be flooded. Cain killed Abel, his lineage have damaged the world with excess and violence and wastefulness, so Noah and his family, the last of Seth's lineage, are to build the Ark. What the film really tries to do is blend as much spirituality and realism (for a movie) it can to appease everyone, and largely succeeds. When you see rock monsters in the posters or trailers you think that's dumb, but when you realize they're actually the fallen angels whose light was covered with rock and mud upon their fall to Earth, it works, especially how they are animated and carry the film into the third act. The actual Ark looks believable (just logs and tar), with the animals arriving but basically going to sleep until the floods stop along with reasons why some animals didn't survive, like unicorns probably.

More than anything it tries to balance the idea of faith and family along with questioning Noah's vision. The bad guy here is great grandson of Cain, the king who is clearly wrong but is able to lay on just enough doubt about God (or The Creator, as he's referred to in the film) to sway people to his side, while at the same time giving no fucks about killing and mining and pillaging. Not to make Noah super pious either, he kind of goes into the deep end with his mission, believing man isn't supposed to live in this new world either, denying his kids women to repopulate the earth which creates added friction with his oldest son and their adopted daughter (Emma Watson) and his second son Percy Jackson. Usually in films there's just a little hurdle for the protagonist to go over, this almost borders on cruel with how it treats Noah, yet also know when to let scenes play out.

Crowe is really good here, everyone is actually, outside of the guy who plays the oldest son who I thought was just some Australian non-actor with a Zoolander look all the time (turns out he's actually british, close enough). Hopkins has what I guess you'd call the comic relief in Methuselah, the old man and Noah's grandfather who always knows enough to make things work out, and this might be Ray Winstone's best role yet as Tubal-Cain, letting his words speak more than his presence of being the king todger, yeah? Jennifer Conolly is kind of the glue that holds everything together, and she always has chemistry with Crowe.

In terms of cinematography and music this is unbelievably good, I would recommend you watch it for that alone. How it shows the world being used, God giving Noah what he needs to build the Ark, the actual flood, and some of the more visually lingering scenes of man, this shouldn't be denied because it's trying to tell a biblical tale.

Really recommend it. It's long, but it throws enough interesting stuff your way to keep your focus.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    I'm going to need you guys to stop recommending Inside Out. My wife has decided she does not want to see it based on the shitty first wave of trailers, so we will not be seeing it until it can be rented, and all your gushing is doing me no favors.

Please.

I already told my best friend that she needs to take her daughter to go see it and invite me along. It doesn't help that it is almost as highly rated on Rotten Tomatoes as Mad Max. (Inside Out is #3 on their top movies of 2015. Mad Max is #1 where it shall remain, because it is all shiny and chrome).

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

Please.

I don't say this often. You need to Movie cheat on your wife. Go see it by yourself.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

Please.

I already told my best friend that she needs to take her daughter to go see it and invite me along. It doesn't help that it is almost as highly rated on Rotten Tomatoes as Mad Max. (Inside Out is #3 on their top movies of 2015. Mad Max is #1 where it shall remain, because it is all shiny and chrome).

I haven't seen Mad Max yet either. :~(
    azith28 wrote: »

Please.

I don't say this often. You need to Movie cheat on your wife. Go see it by yourself.

I think the kids would have trouble keeping a secret.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular

Please.

So uhmm...why not see it by yourself (or with the kids) if she has no interest in it?

• Options
    I assumed the personalities in Inside Out were cast based on who was awesome. Amy Poehler is perfect as Joy. And if there's a better personification of anger than Lewis Black, I will be shocked (and scared). Bam, now you've got mixed genders all up ins, may as well roll with it.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Fantastika wrote: »

Yeah, this seems to be a thing with indie sci-fi movies. Or at least the ones I've seen.
    Everyone turns to murder so quickly...

At least Primer had it make sense, kinda.
    Not with murder, necessarily, but the one dude goes super dark. But the other guy is suitably horrified, so it works.

In Coherence, it's not just that one guy goes straight to murder town, it's that the others are not immediately repulsed by it.

I mean, if one of my friends casually suggested murder, I would be pretty not okay with it.

But yeah, thinking about indie sci-fi, this seems to be a thing.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Noah, surprisingly good film. In fact, you know what Noah saw when the water receded?

HampGcertified_zpscfa5a07b.jpg

So the story is much more environmental and creative with why Earth needs to be flooded. Cain killed Abel, his lineage have damaged the world with excess and violence and wastefulness, so Noah and his family, the last of Seth's lineage, are to build the Ark. What the film really tries to do is blend as much spirituality and realism (for a movie) it can to appease everyone, and largely succeeds. When you see rock monsters in the posters or trailers you think that's dumb, but when you realize they're actually the fallen angels whose light was covered with rock and mud upon their fall to Earth, it works, especially how they are animated and carry the film into the third act. The actual Ark looks believable (just logs and tar), with the animals arriving but basically going to sleep until the floods stop along with reasons why some animals didn't survive, like unicorns probably.

More than anything it tries to balance the idea of faith and family along with questioning Noah's vision. The bad guy here is great grandson of Cain, the king who is clearly wrong but is able to lay on just enough doubt about God (or The Creator, as he's referred to in the film) to sway people to his side, while at the same time giving no fucks about killing and mining and pillaging. Not to make Noah super pious either, he kind of goes into the deep end with his mission, believing man isn't supposed to live in this new world either, denying his kids women to repopulate the earth which creates added friction with his oldest son and their adopted daughter (Emma Watson) and his second son Percy Jackson. Usually in films there's just a little hurdle for the protagonist to go over, this almost borders on cruel with how it treats Noah, yet also know when to let scenes play out.

Crowe is really good here, everyone is actually, outside of the guy who plays the oldest son who I thought was just some Australian non-actor with a Zoolander look all the time (turns out he's actually british, close enough). Hopkins has what I guess you'd call the comic relief in Methuselah, the old man and Noah's grandfather who always knows enough to make things work out, and this might be Ray Winstone's best role yet as Tubal-Cain, letting his words speak more than his presence of being the king todger, yeah? Jennifer Conolly is kind of the glue that holds everything together, and she always has chemistry with Crowe.

In terms of cinematography and music this is unbelievably good, I would recommend you watch it for that alone. How it shows the world being used, God giving Noah what he needs to build the Ark, the actual flood, and some of the more visually lingering scenes of man, this shouldn't be denied because it's trying to tell a biblical tale.

Really recommend it. It's long, but it throws enough interesting stuff your way to keep your focus.

I deeply enjoyed Noah. I self-identify as Christian, but most would probably put me in the "liberal Christian" category. I don't believe that everything in the Bible is literal. I believe the beginning of Genesis is a metaphor to explain to early cultures what they couldn't have understood at the time. I thought Noah did such an amazing job of taking Judeo-Christian mythos and presenting it as beautiful mythos. It was really refreshing to see a beautiful film that treated the story of Noah the way any other ancient cultural myth would be treated rather than the literal-Bible-stories-are-true-exactly-as-recorded take that is most Bible story movies. I also really appreciated how Aronofsky put the foundation of his telling firmly on the idea that Adam and Eve and their descendants were supposed to be caretakers of the earth, and that wanton disregard of nature and its resources and health was the "sin" of Cain and his descendants that led them to the Flood.

Anyway, the gist is that I found this movie a really strong interpretation of the story of Noah and a beautiful presentation of mythos from the Bible.
    Also, the acting, like you say, was really good overall. Some incredibly strong and believable performances. I was pleasantly surprised by this movie.

• Options
    FantastikaFantastika Betting That The Levee Will HoldRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Time-shifted like it's them but from the future?

Nah, more like the past keeps replaying in the present for short bursts. Like the events from 30 minutes ago replay for 3-5 minutes then disappear. Then events from 20 minutes ago replay and then disappear and then 10 minutes and so on until it eventually catches up with the present near the end. Like I said, it's kind of an interesting idea and it works as much as a low-budget, indie sci-fi starring teenagers can.

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Edit: This is basically a repeat of what someone else said. Disregard!

Melkster on
  • Options
    Yeah be the single male at a kids movie...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    So what? It's not just a kids movie. It's an everyone movie.

• Options
    Its a joke man, jeez.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    On that note, Paula Poundstone did a character voice in Inside Out and I was just [shocked emoticon here]

• Options
    She's still alive?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Lots of cameo voice talent in that - the guards of the subconscious are played by Frank Oz and Dave Goelz (Gonzo, Bunsen Honeydew, etc), and Flea plays one of the mind workers. And of course John Ratzenberger as Fritz the Cloud.

madparrot on
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Tomanta wrote: »

Please.

I haven't seen Mad Max yet either. :~(

MEDIOCRE!

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Fantastika wrote: »

Everyone turns to murder so quickly...

At least Primer had it make sense, kinda.
    Not with murder, necessarily, but the one dude goes super dark. But the other guy is suitably horrified, so it works.

In Coherence, it's not just that one guy goes straight to murder town, it's that the others are not immediately repulsed by it.

I mean, if one of my friends casually suggested murder, I would be pretty not okay with it.

But yeah, thinking about indie sci-fi, this seems to be a thing.

And this is why we can never be friends ElJeffe.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Hurray for the buttons!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    She's still alive?

She's on NPR every weekend.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

re: Depression, I agree that this wasn't really long-term clinical depression. But it was more than the colloquial "oh, I had a bad day, I'm totes depressed now" stuff that most people talk about. The girl actually had some serious shit going on, as evidenced by the way
    she completely loses the capacity to feel joy or sadness, and has basically all of the parts of her core being dumped into a black hole while being ruled entirely by anger, fear, and disgust. That's about as apt a metaphor for actual depression as you're going to find, and it's the sort of thing that, in the real world, you would probably want to seek professional treatment for, at least short term.

I kind of disagree about the depression. Sort of.
    I don't think that she was actually into depression until the black stuff started spreading across the console and Anger/Disgust/Fear lost the ability to use the console. Before that point, she was in a bad state, but I don't think that the film considered her to be depressed yet. She was into depression when she couldn't feel anything.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Inside Out
    The Black stuff is Apathy.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    She's still alive?

NPR is still alive?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    She's still alive?

NPR is still alive?

Only thanks to the contributions of listeners who appreciate detailed, unbiased reporting and exposure to a wide range of music talent from around the world and around the corner!

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    She's still alive?

NPR is still alive?

Only thanks to the contributions of listeners who appreciate detailed, unbiased reporting and exposure to a wide range of music talent from around the world and around the corner!

Those bastards...

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Following a plane crash, James Horner is missing and likely dead.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    Following a plane crash, James Horner is missing and likely dead.

per this report, he is dead
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/james-horner-dead-titanic-composer-804365

This discussion has been closed.