As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're Back! Happy [Ghostbusters] 2 Day! (28th Anniversary June 16th)

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    They definitely drop an overt reference to I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream in the season 1 episode "The Thing in Mrs. Faversham's Attic" as well as a surprisingly human moment for Peter Venkman.

This is regarded as one of the best episodes, right? I know I absolutely loved it as a child. Gave me the chills as well.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    They definitely drop an overt reference to I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream in the season 1 episode "The Thing in Mrs. Faversham's Attic" as well as a surprisingly human moment for Peter Venkman.

This is regarded as one of the best episodes, right? I know I absolutely loved it as a child. Gave me the chills as well.

After submitting the script for that episode, J. Michael Straczynski got a call asking if everything was okay.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

After submitting the script for that episode, J. Michael Straczynski got a call asking if everything was okay.

I love those kind of behind the screen tidbits. Is there some kind of documentary for this?

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options

I love those kind of behind the screen tidbits. Is there some kind of documentary for this?

The Time-Life release of The Real Ghostbusters had little intro extras for most of the episodes, as well as commentary tracks for select ones and a few retrospective minidocs. I don't know if all those extras carried over to the mass-market release.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    @ThatDudeOverThere

watch chicken, he clucked

watch it a million times

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    and if you want the rest of my top ten:

night game
    no one comes to lupusville
    when halloween was forever
    the thing in mrs. faversham's attic
    the cabinet of calimari
    the halloween door
    ragnarok and roll
    the man who never reached home

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I went back to watching them in order

holy shit, "slimer come home" is dire

was it the animation test episode or what

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Something to keep in mind is that the first season is actually two shows. Half of it was produced for, I think, ABC. The animation was outsourced to a cheaper studio and the plot lines are targeted at a younger audience. The other half was made for syndication and was produced by a more polished Japanese animation studio. This is why you see things like a very Japanese-looking train depot showing up in Knock Knock.

(I think I'm getting my info correct but I'm having difficulty finding references to back this up. I may be crossing wires with the changes made between seasons 1 and 2.)

In an interesting note, Power Rangers' Haim Saban and Shuki Levy produced the music for the early seasons of The Real Ghostbusters with Levy composing and Saban making the business deals. To this day there is no way to get clean, isolated audio of the music from the show. The best are spliced-together fan-edits hosted and shared online.

the Real Ghostbusters Original Score:

An album was produced with music from the show, but only the lyrical background songs by a young, female duo called Tahiti. It's charmingly nostalgic, but not exactly great music.

THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS SOUNDTRACK:

I would love for Ghost Corps to dig up some masters for the Real Ghostbusters score but nobody seems to know who even has possession of that music.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    ThatDudeOverThere

watch it a million times

JMS said he wrote this episode because the office he was working out of was across the street from a chicken processing plant.

• Options
    ThatDudeOverThere

watch it a million times

JMS said he wrote this episode because the office he was working out of was across the street from a chicken processing plant.

a fucking demon straight up asks the ghostbusters for help and I'm losing my mind

• Options
    edited April 2017
    One of my favorite kinds of Ghostbusters stories is when otherworldly beings see them as people who have completely cheated the supernatural hierarchy like some sort of mortal trickster gods. They're these hotshot assholes who show up to a magic fight they weren't invited to with nuclear-powered lightning lasers.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    ThatDudeOverThere

watch it a million times

a fucking demon straight up asks the ghostbusters for help and I'm losing my mind

it's so good

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I went back to watching them in order

holy shit, "slimer come home" is dire

was it the animation test episode or what

i'll always love it for being the episode where slimer runs away and joins a gang

first season peter venkman's pure disdain for slimer is one of my favorite things

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    edited April 2017
  • Options
    So awesome that I stole your post for GBfans. :-)

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    thing I am super-sad about: extreme ghostbusters will never have a full, high-quality release of all 40 episodes

I know it was kinda late 90s schlock in some senses but there are really really good monster designs in there ok

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    thing I am super-sad about: extreme ghostbusters will never have a full, high-quality release of all 40 episodes

I know it was kinda late 90s schlock in some senses but there are really really good monster designs in there ok

I think it might actually be better the the original series in some respects.

I'm still not sure what they did to Slimer, but he feels way less annoying (to the viewer) than OG Slimer.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    So awesome that I stole your post for GBfans. :-)

Is cool. I stole the news from Ghostbusters Mania / the Louisiana Ghostbusters Facebook page.

I also liked the more consistent animation and most of the ghost designs on XGB, even if there was a real trend of including exposed gums whenever possible.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Actually, I think I know what I like about EG Slimer. He's basically the same (but with a less annoying voice and a much cool visual design) Nobody babies him.

Like, in RG, Ray, Winston and Jeanine frequently defended Slimer when he did something to piss of Peter. It's only when it's a "everyone is mad at Slimer" plot when they turn on him.

In EG, pretty much nobody takes Slimer's side when he does something annoying. The younger Ghostbusters aren't trucking with his shit, and Egon and Jeanine are way to jaded by his antics at that point.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    In the original run Slimer was voiced by Frank Welker who also voiced Ray and a ton of the monsters and whose IMDB page has probably crashed servers in the past.

In XGB, Slimer is voiced by Billy West who is best known for voicing a sizable portion of the cast of Futurama, including Fry, Professor Farnsworth, and Dr. Zoidberg.

Other Extreme Ghostbusters alumni include Maurice LaMarche reprising his role as Egon, Tara Strong as Kylie Griffin, Jason Marsden as Garrett Miller, and Alfonso Ribeiro (Carlton of the Fresh Prince) as Roland.

It's a real who's who of voice acting for it's time.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    it's still kind of shocking we didn't get a new cartoon to coincide with the reboot, even if it wasn't the megahit sony was hoping for

• Options
    edited April 2017
    We are getting Ecto Force, but it takes some time and GB:ATC was made in a hurry. Rumors are it features both realities.

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    ecto force?

Yeah, it's set in the future, I'll look up some information for you:

Edit: here we go

On April 28, 2016, it was reported in the EMPIRE June 2016 issue, Ivan Reitman commented there was a TV show in the works. It will have a more global flavor. Reitman noted how there is remarkable ghost lore in every tradition then cited China, Japan, and Korea as examples. [1]

On June 20, 2016, it was reported that Sony Picture's animation division is planning a television series titled "Ghostbuster: Ecto Force." The show is reportedly being overseen by Ivan Reitman and will focus on a new generation of Ghostbusters. It will be reportedly set in the year 2050. The show tentatively set to premiere in early 2018. [2] The premise involves the team capturing ghosts all around the world with help from local teams—and some very cool gear. [3] Sony's press release confirmed the oversight of Ghost Corps. [4][5]

On July 15, 2016, Ivan Reitman was quoted saying Ecto Force is "based on the movie" and the intent behind it is to keep the Ghostbusters in the public eye between movies. [6]

On December 21, 2016, it was mentioned there was an 'animated spinoff coming to Netflix soon.' [7]

Edit 2: that last one might refer to RGB.

Alphagaia on

See my profile here!
  • Options
    oh rad

I'm 100% on board with globetrotting ghostbusters, though setting it in the future is a bit less exciting

• Options
    oh rad

I'm 100% on board with globetrotting ghostbusters, though setting it in the future is a bit less exciting

I get why they're doing it. If they set it far-enough in the future they can side-step any plot or character continuity they might develop for other movie or television projects in the near future, so they're Batman Beyond/Legend of Korra-ing it.

I'd prefer they drop the name and go with "Ghostbusters International 2050" instead but it's their baby, they get to decide.

• Options
    that's a weird motivation, though

it's not like ghostbusters 2 particularly cared about the events of TRGB, for instance

• Options
    that's a weird motivation, though

it's not like ghostbusters 2 particularly cared about the events of TRGB, for instance

Well now they have two live-action universes plus the RGB cartoon/comics universe and IDW comics universe and the video game all in play so I guess the idea is that this future cartoon can be for fans of all those things without really caring too much which canon it belongs to. Things may change between now and when they actually start making it, though. Remember that the original script for Ghostbusters was about a sanitation-like utility that traveled through time and zapped ghosts with magic wands while wearing batter's helmets.
    o2FphMH.png
    AOqVIHc.jpg

• Options
    Also worth mentioning that there's an entire sub-plot of Ghostbusters II that actually was filmed because of the popularity of The Real Ghostbusters. Janine's entire appearance was altered to more-closely resemble the animated Janine (red hair and all).

GB1 Janine vs Season 1 RGB Janine:
    OLcGace.jpgphfr2Pq.gif

GB2 Janine vs later seasons RGB Janine:
    iGHG1Ec.jpg5RyKdLc.jpg

Luis Tully also spends a few off-camera scenes trying to hunt down Slimer who is tormenting him around the firehall, due to Slimer's popularity in the cartoon. Some of the scenes stayed in the movie, like during the montage and the end where Slimer is driving a city bus. There are also deleted scenes on the Ghostbusters II blu-ray that feature the cut scenes where Luis irresponsibly uses a proton pack to try and blast the little spud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7UnFx6OLVs

Hell, the entire plot of Ghostbusters II being centered around slime was also a result of how popular the Real Ghostbusters slime toys were with kids, even though ectoplasmic "slime" was only a minor part of the first movie.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I brought this in from my private team forum. The music is from the new Ghostbusters 5D dark ride in Heide Park Resort in Germany and is part of an 80 minute score that plays in the new Ghostbusters themed area of the park.
    For those of you who use music in your pack/car/whatever, this one is a keeper. It starts off as a bog-standard copyright dodge like you hear on so many Halloween compilations but it gets really good a little ways in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDiy1WT47h0

TankHammer on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Kid me had such confusing feelings about RGB Janine.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Oh fuck, RGB?!

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Also, I'm watching season 2 of Better Call Saul.

I just got to the end of episode 2. I'm fucking dying.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Oh fuck, RBG?!

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Also, I'm watching season 2 of Better Call Saul.

I just got to the end of episode 2. I'm fucking dying.

I bet Ruth Bader Ginsberg would be an awesome Ghostbuster.

• Options

Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd sent the cast of Stranger Things a nice gift basket for wrapping up production on season 2.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    If you're around the Anaheim area, maybe see if you can score some of Noble Beer Works' new 'Gozebusters' limited run. It's supposedly a sour flavor (guessing citrus like Ecto Cooler).

I doubt I'll be able to acquire a can at this distance.

Edit: the brewery responded to my query very quickly and let me know it's available at the brewery only. :(

TankHammer on
  • Options
    I'm not at all a fan of Gose-style beers, otherwise I'd pick it up.

• Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Remember that time I posted a screenshot of a subtle GB reference in the Nickelodeon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?
    I think this one might be less subtle...
    vlcsnap-2017-05-29-01h54m24s640_zpsrqac2rls.png

0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    Tomorrow is Ghostbusters day so please enjoy these fun celebratory ideas from the Eastern Seaboard Ghostbusters:
    http://alliesmommy.com/gonna-call-ghostbusters-party-ideas/

Kid friendly suggestions:
    3- Watch Ghostheads on Netflix:

“Ghostheads is a documentary that explores the extreme side of the Ghostbusters fandom and looks back at the impact the franchise has had on the world over the past three decades. Through interviews with key cast and crew, including Dan Aykroyd, Ivan Reitman, Ernie Hudson and much more, as well as with Ghostbusters fans all over the world, Ghostheads presents countless humanizing stories that will connect with audiences about comradery, overcoming obstacles, and that no one should ever feel alone or isolated. Ghostheads will show what really separates a fandom from the rest. Every Ghosthead is unique. Every Franchise is its own.”

4- Make slimer goo:

Add a few drops of green food coloring into 1 cup of warm water.
    Pour the water into a bowl filled with 2 cups of cornstarch.
    Mix everything together with your fingers.
    Add more water/cornstarch, if needed.
    Make as many batches as you need
    Place each batch into small mason jars to give to each child.
    5- Make edible “slime”: Just mix up some Lime Jell-O and allow to set in small 1 serving cups.

6- Watch the original movie and make it a game.

Example:

Assign each child a word or phrase (Ghostbusters, I ain’t afraid of no ghost, slimer or who you gonna call? etc.) and they get a point every time that word/phrase is said in the movie.

Have cute little Ghostbuster themed prizes for the winners.

"80s kid"-friendly suggestions:
    ECTOPLASM VODKA COCKTAIL

Ingredients
    Ingredients:
    1 Smirnoff Red, White & Berry 50 ml Shot
    1 Lemon Lime Jell-O Cup 5.5 oz
    2 Hi-C Ecto Cooler Drink Boxes
    Lemon Slices
    Fresh Thyme
    Crushed Ice
    Instructions
    In a medium size saucepan over med-high heat, add one (1) lemon-lime Jell-O cup and two (2) Hi-C Ecto Cooler drink boxes.
    Using a whisk, stir until the jello completely dissolves.
    Pour the mixture into a large measuring cup and chill in the freezer for thirty minutes (30 min).
    Prepare glasses by placing a thin slice of lemon into the bottom of each glass and adding crushed ice.
    Remove the jell-o/juice mixture from the freezer; the mixture should be slimy but drinkable and add one (1) Smirnoff Red, White & Berry 50 ml shot and stir slightly. Place back into the freezer for ten (10) minutes.
    Remove the green slime from the freezer and pour over crushed ice.
    Garnish each glass with a slice of lemon and a sprig of fresh thyme.
    Serve.
    Ecto-Slimer Drink

Ingredients:

Lemon Lime Gatorade
    ice
    melon liqueur
    vodka
    Mix a large amount Sky vodka with Midori liqueur
    Add lemon/lime Gatorade powder and stir
    Rookies add ice
    Be CAREFUL the electrolytes will rush the vodka into your bloodstream faster than you think.

Drinking Game Rules

One shot of your choice when:

The protection grid is turned off
    They cross the streams
    Venkman gets slimed
    Drink during the duration of:

Anytime a trap is open
    The Ghostbusters commercial (good luck)
    One drink every time you see:

A knit vest
    A Ghostbuster smoke
    Ghostbusters being “discreet”
    Louis get locked out
    A pole
    Ted & Annette Fleming
    Bogus Science
    A PKE meter
    A hellhound
    Stay Puft
    Religious people praying for salvation
    Ghostbuster swag
    One drink every time you hear:

Pseudoscience jargon
    “Gatekeeper”
    Winston speak (per scene)
    “Mass sponge migration”
    “Scientist”
    “Storage facility”
    “keymaster”
    Egon deadpan a joke
    “Gozer”
    Ghostbuster theme music
    “Zhuul”
    The Ghostbusters refer to each other by name
    For those hardcore drinkers:

Drink every time Venkman is sarcastic
    Drink every time you hear “Ghostbusters”

• Options
    edited June 2017
    :) Do
    :) Rey
    :D EGON!
    :? :? 8-)

Happy Ghostbusters 2 day!

https://youtu.be/XgkhKVpKl_4

tijUJLR.jpg

TankHammer on
  • Options
    LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    I always did like the darker jumpsuits they wore in 2.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
This discussion has been closed.