As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crusader Kings III: You Can Steal the Pope's Hat

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    "Last night I was governing while drunk and after waking up this morning I find out I contracted feudalism."

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    "Last night I was governing while drunk and after waking up this morning I find out I contracted feudalism."

"But milord, you are the earthly vessel of the Sky Lords and your word is law. Surely it was them who ordered us to switch our entire system of government and social organization to mirror that of the Westerners."

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

Be sure to contact all the nations you've had relations with and let them know to get themselves checked out.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular

I was sleepy too I'll have you know!

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    My Barcelona game is currently going pretty well, but I took Granada from the Muslims and now if I make military moves anywhere else on the peninsula, suffer an uprising, or am declared war on by one my christian neighbors, the Abbasids and anyone else still left on the spanish peninsula immediately declare war to take it back. You just wait you heretical curs...I'll be taking the rest of your holdings soon enough.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Reconquista all up ins!

• Options
    SanguineAngelSanguineAngel Lord Centre of the UniverseRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Soooo..... it's been about a 12 - 14 months since I last played this, with the old gods, sons of abraham and a bunch of unit and song packs installed. I have since expanded the game almost fully (not picked up horse lords) and having lost my previous saves need to start a new game. I am now utterly lost at sea; I thought I had a handle on the game when I left off but it seems like everything is completely different now!

Has anyone got some sound advice? Or some easily digestible tutorials highlighting the changes?

Edit: I am really going to miss my last game and the technological leader of the world: The glorious and ever ready for a fight (in-fighting included) Kingdom Scotland.

SanguineAngel on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Soooo..... it's been about a 12 - 14 months since I last played this, with the old gods and a bunch of unit and song packs installed. I have since expanded the game almost fully (not picked up horse lords) and having lost my previous saves need to start a new game. I am now utterly lost at sea; I thought I had a handle on the game when I left off but it seems like everything is completely different now!

Has anyone got some sound advice? Or some easily digestible tutorials highlighting the changes?

Some places have changed more than others. Is there a specific region and time or ruler you're trying to figure out?

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Reconquista all up ins!

Soon... Though I wish the AI was smart enough to realize that when any one of the Christian rulers on the peninsula is defending or going on the offensive against the muslims, it behooves the rest of the Catholics to join in. Unfortunately I'll have to wait on any more land wars as I reinforce my home demesne, which will give me 3 castles but will mean revoking a title while I've already got a dangerous faction simmering.

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    I went Viking after a long absence. Lots of raiding. Blots. It was a fairly simple way to relearn a lot of the game.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Reconquista all up ins!

Soon... Though I wish the AI was smart enough to realize that when any one of the Christian rulers on the peninsula is defending or going on the offensive against the muslims, it behooves the rest of the Catholics to join in. Unfortunately I'll have to wait on any more land wars as I reinforce my home demesne, which will give me 3 castles but will mean revoking a title while I've already got a dangerous faction simmering.
    That isn't really true though. You might prefer your neighbor-rivals to be focused on the Muslim threat next door instead of having them suddenly grow in power to challenge or even eclipse you.

Self-interest is the name of this game. Though of course someone with the Zealous trait should probably answer the call whenever possible (perhaps they do?).

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Reconquista all up ins!

That isn't really true though. You might prefer your neighbor-rivals to be focused on the Muslim threat next door instead of having them suddenly grow in power to challenge or even eclipse you.

Self-interest is the name of this game. Though of course someone with the Zealous trait should probably answer the call whenever possible (perhaps they do?).

It's getting to the point that I can't really be challenged on the peninsula by the other Catholics. The Almoravids (I was wrong calling them Abbasids) OTOH can still mount considerable difficulties for all of us. I'd rather we work as a team to chase them off and then we can get on to the petty scrabbling for territories. Though you do have a point, as the muslim threat is at least keeping the Kingdom of Castille from annoying me.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Fellow neighboring catholics should always join in your defense assuming they aren't already in a war. (Or they don't absolutely hate your guts.) If they're already in a war they won't come in until it's over, and if their levies are really depleted from said war they might not even come in then.

Also... the Catholic blob has now conquered Persia in the form of a titular empire formed by the Cumanians. The Sejuks still control most of the land down there, but now they're catholic.

Gundi on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Fellow neighboring catholics should always join in your defense assuming they aren't already in a war. (Or they don't absolutely hate your guts.) If they're already in a war they won't come in until it's over, and if their levies are really depleted from said war they might not even come in then.

Also... the Catholic blob has now conquered Persia in the form of a titular empire formed by the Cumanians. The Sejuks still control most of the land down there, but now they're catholic.

I have never seen that.

Over 2000 hours in CK2, and I have never seen that.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    I'll get a screenshot of the current Sekjuk ruler later. I suspect he'll declare independence after his current emperor dies. He's way stronger than his liege but he loves the guy.

• Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    I went Viking after a long absence. Lots of raiding. Blots. It was a fairly simple way to relearn a lot of the game.

Yeah, vikings are pretty much the new easy mode.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Here we go, the current Christian Seljuk ruler:
    DC9F4EF8F6F46754D19653B32FFD30AF5529882A

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    That the ai?

• Options
    Yes.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Holy hell go him!

• Options

I had put the game aside for a while after being frustrated with the Mongol expansion. But somehow, just seeing the Paradox symbol up there for their Steam sale drew me back in. I started as the Count of Nantes, and went a-Viking. Conquered Wessex via invasion. Conquered the British isles. Ran into a speed bump when the Knight showed up and every little Christian lord could summon up huge amounts of heavy cavelry. Invested in pikeman retinues, restored the snores faith, declared Great Holy War for France, won, became unstoppable.

My expansion eastward was unstoppable. No power could stand before me. Spain and then Africa were conquered by my vassals when I wasn't looking. I chose to allow the Eastern Roman Empire to survive, though my vassals made no such promises. Ever eastward I drove, conquering all before me in the name of Odin. Until I ran into a force that even I could not easily overcome: other Norse.

Seriously, lack of Holy War and Conquest CBs have ground my progress to a halt. The entire damn steppe region is going Norse. This is getting painful. They need to convert to an inferior religion so that I can conquer them.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Bonus points for "snores faith"

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I had put the game aside for a while after being frustrated with the Mongol expansion. But somehow, just seeing the Paradox symbol up there for their Steam sale drew me back in. I started as the Count of Nantes, and went a-Viking. Conquered Wessex via invasion. Conquered the British isles. Ran into a speed bump when the Knight showed up and every little Christian lord could summon up huge amounts of heavy cavelry. Invested in pikeman retinues, restored the snores faith, declared Great Holy War for France, won, became unstoppable.

My expansion eastward was unstoppable. No power could stand before me. Spain and then Africa were conquered by my vassals when I wasn't looking. I chose to allow the Eastern Roman Empire to survive, though my vassals made no such promises. Ever eastward I drove, conquering all before me in the name of Odin. Until I ran into a force that even I could not easily overcome: other Norse.

Seriously, lack of Holy War and Conquest CBs have ground my progress to a halt. The entire damn steppe region is going Norse. This is getting painful. They need to convert to an inferior religion so that I can conquer them.

You can't even get towards Afghanistan and India?

• Options
    Delmain wrote: »

You can't even get towards Afghanistan and India?

I'm currently digging my way through the Abassids. I've got Egypt and Jerusalem, and I'm waiting on the cooldown of my Great Holy War while I use claiments to chip away at the Snores in the North.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Why is it that none of my CK2 saves are available to me after a reinstall, despite the fact that the game always synched with the Steam Cloud after I played it?

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So I decided to be just straight silly with a create a character to see how dedaly a warrior I could make and on a whim took possessed since it gave me a +1 to my personal combat value.

Cue a hilarious event where my character turns into a werewolf, goes on a run, and apparently eats the king of bulgaria.

I am so deadly folks, that I can actually murder people in my sleep.

Also: playing as a nomad is super fun, though getting my moral authority up is a pain in the ass.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Attacked a nomad leader because hey he has like half the number of troops I have!

But like, nomads don't count all their vassals troops or something in their total like feudal lords? Because one of his vassals was some kind of priest-king and he had like four times the troops his liege had, never mind a ton more than I had.

Rather painful, but it was a whole duchy I was trying to claim. It's the first real major setback in this Zunbil playthrough, so hopefully it's not more than a speedbump.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Attacked a nomad leader because hey he has like half the number of troops I have!

But like, nomads don't count all their vassals troops or something in their total like feudal lords? Because one of his vassals was some kind of priest-king and he had like four times the troops his liege had, never mind a ton more than I had.

Rather painful, but it was a whole duchy I was trying to claim. It's the first real major setback in this Zunbil playthrough, so hopefully it's not more than a speedbump.

Yeah it is messy attacking tribal realms because of this. They call vassals to war directly instead of getting a levy. You need to actually look in their realm tree to see if there are heavy hitters, they are very unlikely to refuse to join a war, it is like 150 prestige penalty.

I keep getting confused when people say 'pay off vassals'. Is that another way to say frame them for a crime, imprison and execute them?

Also I can't believe you get kinslayer for sacrificing your children in blots.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I got forced out of my entire demense through Elective Gavelkind, I thought this wasn't supposed to happen anymore - I was left with a single country which was automatically revoked from one of my vassals (and completely unupgraded)

skan.jpg~original

Worst thing is I didn't even choose my heir, all my vassals voted for him and I died suddenly

Now the king of Denmark who is still tribal put tribal holdings over all my feudal holdings and gave those to barons, I suddenly understand everyone who had issues with Gavelkind in the past much better

• Options
    Yeah gavelkind can work okay if you have a standard structured kingdom but otherwise it gets a bit wonkey. The way it auto creates any kingdoms you can create is pretty bad. It is the main reason to convert to feudalism.

One of the funny things about being both a top level ruler and head of a religion is when heresy happens you are the recipient of both sides of some of the events. One of the choices I got was to pay myself 100 gold or give myself 200 prestige.

Does anyone know how to get my half brother to stop trying to seduce me? He hates me because my character is a homosexual and he is not, although the half brother does have two other male lovers. I would not mind but it keeps happening like every damn month.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Yeah gavelkind can work okay if you have a standard structured kingdom but otherwise it gets a bit wonkey. The way it auto creates any kingdoms you can create is pretty bad. It is the main reason to convert to feudalism.

One of the funny things about being both a top level ruler and head of a religion is when heresy happens you are the recipient of both sides of some of the events. One of the choices I got was to pay myself 100 gold or give myself 200 prestige.

Does anyone know how to get my half brother to stop trying to seduce me? He hates me because my character is a homosexual and he is not, although the half brother does have two other male lovers. I would not mind but it keeps happening like every damn month.

IIIIIIII don't know how to loooooove hiiiiim.

• Options

Murder him.

• Options

Murder him.

This solves practically any problem in CK2.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I'm gonna have to try a write up later but at the moment my dynasty is running the Byzantine Empire likes its the damn mafia.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Trace wrote: »
    I'm gonna have to try a write up later but at the moment my dynasty is running the Byzantine Empire likes its the damn mafia.

Byzantium/Rome is great fun. So much backstabbery, and then you stomp the impertinent Mongols and/or Aztecs when they show up. You're your own worst enemy, not some external force.
    Provided you've actually managed to rebuild.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I took a legit stab at taking over the whole map as Byzantium, though it was before India. I got SPQR and stopped soon after though, it was a bit too much of a slog.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Byzantium/Rome is great fun. So much backstabbery, and then you stomp the impertinent Mongols and/or Aztecs when they show up. You're your own worst enemy, not some external force.
    Provided you've actually managed to rebuild.

I might've castrated a caliph and caused the entire caliphate to fall apart in like twenty revolts cause he had no heirs and a bunch of brothers in pretty wealthy spots.

It went, if I'm remembering correctly.

1.) Caliph is assassinated by an unknown party, brother that is probably the unknown party (20 int) becomes Caliph

2.) Egypt declares an independence revolt

3.) Next Caliph died in a battle with Egypt

3.5) His heir had a diplomacy stat of 1. I assume that helped everything to fall apart.

4.) The Shia Caliph shows up -finally- and actually managed to carve out Persia for himself by the time this is all over

5.) Anyone who was related to the first Caliph guy is basically revolting for the throne or independence.

6.) Caliphate no longer exists.

Trace on
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    My biggest gripe with CKII right now is the invisible armies that pop up in India where suddenly your foe who only had 750 men when you invaded him shows up with 8000 men you can't explain because no mercenary companies have been hired. And shows up and immediately stops you into the ground.

But yes, Byzantine becomes a huge butt-pain slog, which is why I like to start those games as a Count or Doux and fight my way onto the throne.

But everything becomes a huge slog at some point. I find them all rather boring and tedious, but the Byzantine one has the double advantage of being the primary target of the muslim empires, which slows things to a crawl.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    Ardent wrote: »
    My biggest gripe with CKII right now is the invisible armies that pop up in India where suddenly your foe who only had 750 men when you invaded him shows up with 8000 men you can't explain because no mercenary companies have been hired. And shows up and immediately stops you into the ground.

But yes, Byzantine becomes a huge butt-pain slog, which is why I like to start those games as a Count or Doux and fight my way onto the throne.

But everything becomes a huge slog at some point. I find them all rather boring and tedious, but the Byzantine one has the double advantage of being the primary target of the muslim empires, which slows things to a crawl.

India has holy orders too and they can call them from the start of the earliest start date. They also have elephants.

And being the emperor is boring. I just insure my dynastic name is on the throne and act as the power from behind the throne. This means I'm usually picking the family focus so I can be considered the dynastic head. The guys I play are almost always the spymaster or the court chaplain.

• Options
    Ardent wrote: »

India has holy orders too and they can call them from the start of the earliest start date. They also have elephants.

And being the emperor is boring. I just insure my dynastic name is on the throne and act as the power from behind the throne. This means I'm usually picking the family focus so I can be considered the dynastic head. The guys I play are almost always the spymaster or the court chaplain.

Doing this with an elected empire is pretty sweet because it tends to be very stable at the top level, and you can occasionally be thrust back into the big seat from time to time. Duel your rival, plot to get your distant cousin onto the throne of Bulgaria, join a crusade, summon an elder god. Just sit back and relax you know.