As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crusader Kings III: You Can Steal the Pope's Hat

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    That is the most CK2 thing ever.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    That was amazing.

Bonus points for the horse puns.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    That... was beautiful.

• Options
    I really hope Paradox keeps this in and even makes it an achivement.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

Agreed, but it should just go so far as to land the horse.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Agreed, but it should just go so far as to land the horse.

Nah all the way.

Although landing horses should not be possible for the ai.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    It should be called Caligula's Legacy

• Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    This was incredible! I cannot believe it. I want to redo this entire process.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular

Unfortunately the patch that came with Conclave removed the ability for humans to birth horses.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    theSquid wrote: »

Unfortunately the patch that came with Conclave removed the ability for humans to birth horses.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Delmain wrote: »
    theSquid wrote: »

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Nah, we're good. Check the AAR again. That was all done in Conclave.

Diplominator on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, the spawning horses into your horse-bishop's demense.

Thats right, I forgot the steps already

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I'm consistently finding Muslims to basically be all about luck if you're independent in any way shape or form. It's kind of annoying to just get finished putting together an independent kingdom only to get skullfucked by a full on invasion for the entire kingdom.

On the other hand if you happen to be lucky enough to be ignored for long enough it's way easier to blob out of control even with vassal limits and the conclave editions/the straight from EU IV coalition mechanic.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Inspired by a Youtuber I decided to try a game as the last Karling, the Countess of Ver... Ve... not even gonna try and spell it.

Anyway, on my third character and I'm the double duke of Orleans and Valois, and chancillor. France isn't doing too well, being sandwiched inbetween the HRE and a ridiculous four kingdom united Castille+Leon+Galicia+England.

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    Inspired by a Youtuber I decided to try a game as the last Karling, the Countess of Ver... Ve... not even gonna try and spell it.

Anyway, on my third character and I'm the double duke of Orleans and Valois, and chancillor. France isn't doing too well, being sandwiched inbetween the HRE and a ridiculous four kingdom united Castille+Leon+Galicia+England.

How did that happen?

• Options
    edited February 2016
    William the Conqueror married one of the daughters of the king of Castille, somehow she ended up in power. Their son ended up uniting the realms under Norman rule. (Since now William's first two sons don't... count, for some reason or another.)

Gundi on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016

How did that happen?

EnglishBritish anythings tend to marry Spanish anythings because the way distance is calculated makes them "adjacent," so far as I can tell, for diplomatic purposes.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    That's almost what happened in real life after Mary I of England married Philip II of Spain

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Fuck Philip II. He broke her heart.

• Options
    Lot of bloodshed would have been avoided if the nobility had just had access to sad breakup pop music.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    William the Conqueror married one of the daughters of the king of Castille, somehow she ended up in power. Their son ended up uniting the realms under Norman rule. (Since now William's first two sons don't... count, for some reason or another.)

The daughter was probably put on the throne due to factions, and then her sons would be first in line.

I am finding forming a Norse empire difficult, but that is probably because I accept and issue every single combat challenge that comes my way. I did manage to form a short lived alliance with France that let me take the last holy site. Being able to use distant relationships to negotiate non aggression then alliances can make for some odd combinations. Using diplomats on foreign kings is actually useful now!

Still not as great as when the byzantine emperor helped me conquer England as an Irish duke.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular

The daughter was probably put on the throne due to factions, and then her sons would be first in line.

I am finding forming a Norse empire difficult, but that is probably because I accept and issue every single combat challenge that comes my way. I did manage to form a short lived alliance with France that let me take the last holy site. Being able to use distant relationships to negotiate non aggression then alliances can make for some odd combinations. Using diplomats on foreign kings is actually useful now!

Still not as great as when the byzantine emperor helped me conquer England as an Irish duke.

Oh man I remember doing the same thing, except it was the HRE that helped me conquer England (after I got the Pope to sanction an invasion). Good times, good times.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    ...I don't understand some basic things (I basically just started trying to play this again):

- Is there a way to re-organize a stack's flanks? Like, by default the AI just evenly distributes the manpower to the center, right and left flank. But what if I want to shift mans from the right to left before a battle to quickly overwhelm a flank (or try to)? I can't see a way to do that.

- ...What does winning more territory actually do for you? I'm in the learner's scenario and just finished taking like 12 provinces from the evil Sunni heretics via righteous Holy War, and re-assigned new Vassals, but I don't see a change in my income or Levie size. Am I doing things wrong?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    The Ender wrote: »
    ...I don't understand some basic things (I basically just started trying to play this again):

- Is there a way to re-organize a stack's flanks? Like, by default the AI just evenly distributes the manpower to the center, right and left flank. But what if I want to shift mans from the right to left before a battle to quickly overwhelm a flank (or try to)? I can't see a way to do that.

- ...What does winning more territory actually do for you? I'm in the learner's scenario and just finished taking like 12 provinces from the evil Sunni heretics via righteous Holy War, and re-assigned new Vassals, but I don't see a change in my income or Levie size. Am I doing things wrong?

It takes a couple of years for the wrong culture/ religion provinces to make troops or money.

There is a little sword in the picture of the castle that has the details.

rockrnger on
  • Options
    ...I may or may not have become Hitler and robbed the Jewish people to afford some mercenaries.

Will they ever come back so I can rob them again?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    ...I may or may not have become Hitler and robbed the Jewish people to afford some mercenaries.

That's not being Hitler

That's an authentic Medieval experience.

• Options
    You can welcome them back in another life

There are also buttons to reorganize your army and rebalance which might be a necessity if one your flanks took heavy losses, it's where you also merge troops

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »

That's not being Hitler

That's an authentic Medieval experience.

This is sadly one of the areas where Crusader Kings II is largely hitting the historical mark.

Expulsion_judios-en.svg

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Overwhelming one flank is indeed a popular tactic by the way, but people mostly use their retinue for it (by concentrating it on one flank)

• Options
    My wife only produced a single daughter before I died at 40 (due to the learning scenario's script).

Now I'm playing as a 7 year old queen in the aftermath of the conquest of most of the Iberian peninsula. Also my kingdom is part of the RCC.

I'm sure this will be fine. These 'dangerous faction' warnings totally do not concern me.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    The dynasty of Queen Isabel of Leon appears to be dooooomed.

Despite my Matrilineal marriage, none of my kids apparently are going to count for my dynasty. I can't change away from Gavelkind succession either, because I agreed to help France with a war and then it bugged out or something and the war will not end despite France having 100% war score. I'm just stuck in a conflict that's already 20 years old.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    The dynasty of Karl once again has risen to the throne of Franks. (Would have happened sooner if my last character hadn't died in the middle of claiming the throne, resulting in a ten year regency.)
    B454BC6481BBE1E4130750BB940B954AE1C17BAA
    As you can see the Capets have not managed my kingdom well. First order of business is conquering all of France. Second order of business is returning the Kingdom of Aquitaine to the fold. I'll consider the game complete once I restore the Empire of the Franks. (Francia) The combined Norman Kingdom of Castille, England, etc. has managed to mostly stay together despite numerous revolts. Aquitaine is ruled by a junior branch of the house of Normandy. Also, yes, somehow a branch of my family ended up on the throne of Sweden. (I didn't do that.)

Also, now that I've regained power France is considered a "Carolingian Hegemony."

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    So I had an interesting Norse game that is still ongoing.

It was really worrying at one point because my character was homosexual with no male heirs to my dynasty. Then my sisters started having kids so everything was fine. Then my concubines did the same so the empire was divided among like 8 people at his death.

At the age of 14 my heir reconquered all the kingdoms, formed an empire, reformed the religion then went merchant republic.

I could select an heir to my merchant house so while I lost the empire title I retained my demises outside the capitol along with the Falkyerate.

So now I can declare great holy wars, I am small enough to prepare invasions, I still have my 1500 stack personal retinue, I am expanding trade posts and can raid.

With alliances to Lithuania Poland and Serbia I can halt the expansion of Christianity and ensure stability in those areas although I am in almost constant war. I can afford to keep a 3200 man mercenary company on pay though.

My new character is also both a Viking and Vangarian Guard veteran.

Suddenly being a small time player is actually more fun then being an emperor.
    The dynasty of Queen Isabel of Leon appears to be dooooomed.

Despite my Matrilineal marriage, none of my kids apparently are going to count for my dynasty. I can't change away from Gavelkind succession either, because I agreed to help France with a war and then it bugged out or something and the war will not end despite France having 100% war score. I'm just stuck in a conflict that's already 20 years old.

One new issue is that some kinds of wars can not end while a competing power holds territory. You should look over the defeated power and see who controls what areas.

Also my suggestion would be romance focus and seduce several lesser nobles (guys without houses), kill your husband, marry a lesser noble or stay unmarried and once you get a child of your own line imprison and execute your other children. Or change to Ultimogenitor (it has a very low law demand last time I checked). Or just land your children right away.

I mean everyone will hate you but.. better then losing the game. Right?

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    great-leon.jpg

At the age of 63, having launched over half a dozen righteous crusades against the heretics & finally ended her reign by putting a full scale civil war to the sword, Queen Isabel 'The Hammer' of Leon departs for her just rewards in Heaven and leaves her son Alfonso to finish reuniting the peninsula.

May he prove to have even half of his mother's mettle (and none of his father's childish weakness! 'Slain in battle'. Feh. Such a weak & feeble man!)

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    I will forever remember my CK character from the PA succession LP.

Saint Henri Vermandois, murders most of Europe, then gets bored and murders most of Middle East. Gets beatified, so that was interesting.

• Options
    I just inserted my dynasty onto a throne that absorbed both the Castille & Leon kingdoms, nearly creating Spain... and it was the most beautiful, most satisfyingly crafty thing a video game has let me do in a long time. It felt like figuring out one of the secret routes in Mario Kart 64.

Just sitting there, grinning and waiting for the events that I seeded to cull selective heirs while my betrothal works it's terrible magic.

Yes, yes, young new king. Despise me. Make war upon me. Slay me.

Dance on my strings.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    DissentDissent Mr. Fancy Pants Flavour CountryRegistered User regular
    I just inserted my dynasty onto a throne that absorbed both the Castille & Leon kingdoms, nearly creating Spain... and it was the most beautiful, most satisfyingly crafty thing a video game has let me do in a long time. It felt like figuring out one of the secret routes in Mario Kart 64.

Just sitting there, grinning and waiting for the events that I seeded to cull selective heirs while my betrothal works it's terrible magic.

Dance on my strings.

Good luck with the Moors and the Karlings, sir. There's a reason I don't start games on the Iberian peninsula...

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Dissent wrote: »

Dance on my strings.

Good luck with the Moors and the Karlings, sir. There's a reason I don't start games on the Iberian peninsula...

Pretty sure he started with a 1066 start so no real concern about the latter. The Moors can still be a huge pain though as well as expanding into France.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Dance on my strings.

Pretty sure he started with a 1066 start so no real concern about the latter. The Moors can still be a huge pain though as well as expanding into France.

I love it when the Moors expand into France.

It usually means that France is weakened and usually causes the Pope to call a Crusade for, e.g., Acquitaine, which is fantastic for my usually-Ireland-based realm.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Dance on my strings.

I love it when the Moors expand into France.

It usually means that France is weakened and usually causes the Pope to call a Crusade for, e.g., Acquitaine, which is fantastic for my usually-Ireland-based realm.

One day Elvenshae shall leave the tutorial-realm. One day.