As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Crusader Kings III: You Can Steal the Pope's Hat

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Pfft

Assassination is just diplomacy by other means

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Better Gender Laws is so nice. Too bad mods disable achievements.

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Just imprison your heirs and execute them.

I mean you get massive tyranny penalties.

And kinslayer.

And your own family hates you.

But that only hastens the inevitable assassination and inheritance to the next female ruler.

I actually had a super hated queen with one good heir and like 5 bad ones, I did this and never regretted it.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Paradox should make an official free DLC for international woman's day or somesuch that allows for a transition to better gender laws if some circumstances are met. I know that historical accuracy neckbeards (and other types of neckbeards) would complain if it were not optional, so DLC would be the way to go, and being official DLC it wouldn't mess with achievements.

I don't even need something that differs wildly from history. Just as if history was nudged in a somewhat different direction at some point. Like, if you reign for twenty years as a woman or you have three women reign in a row, absolute cognatic opens up to you via a decision. Or if you have high crown authority, you can name women to whatever council posts you like after a descision, because fuck what people think, you have high crown authority.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    If you're basque, can you make your women Marshalls and send them into battle to die?

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Nope. You need to be cathar for that

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    If you're basque, can you make your women Marshalls and send them into battle to die?

No, I think only Cathars and maybe Messalians can do that.

Basques can have Absolute Cognatic, sure, but they're still Catholic. Until the Umayyads overrun them.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I think the default gender laws are fine for feeling authentic, but I find it more fun to play with the Better Gender Laws mod. I just have to edit it to add my norse tweaks (only 3 concubines? no sir)

You can get the Joan of Arc event as a Catholic though. So there's that.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Paradox should make an official free DLC for international woman's day or somesuch that allows for a transition to better gender laws if some circumstances are met.

If I recall correctly, they added a lot of female advisers and historic female special events to EUIV for International Woman's Day and got a lot of shit on their forums for it. That was the last time I bothered reading their forums.

Endaro on
    Endaro wrote: »
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Paradox should make an official free DLC for international woman's day or somesuch that allows for a transition to better gender laws if some circumstances are met.

If I recall correctly, they added a lot of female advisers and historic female special events to EUIV for International Woman's Day and got a lot of shit on their forums for it. That was the last time I bothered reading their forums.

Paradox forums really are the worst.

I mean, I love the company and their games from everything I've seen of them.

But between the historical accuracy nutbars, the "the DLC costs too much" nutbars, the "if you don't play the game the way I do you're wrong and can go die" nutbars, and all the other flavours of nutbar, their forums can be the absolute worst.

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    The historical accuracy types are horrible. They tend to be the best at making mods, but they have such a massive hard-on for historical accuracy that you're usually more or less put on rails, and any attempt to deviate from how things actually went gets punished by bullshit events.

Rhan9 wrote: »
    The historical accuracy types are horrible. They tend to be the best at making mods, but they have such a massive hard-on for historical accuracy that you're usually more or less put on rails, and any attempt to deviate from how things actually went gets punished by bullshit events.

If there's one thing that the historical accuracy types have done, it's that they've led me to give a bit more respect to the Great Person theories of history. To me, the implications of run-on-rails history is that individuals with apparent power were in fact powerless to change the course of history. All is preordained by geography and culture and circumstance. But, I don't think that Charlemagne, Alfred the Great, William the Bastard, Matilda of Tuscany and Matilda of England, Elaenor of Aquitaine, Saladin, etc, could have been seamlessly replaced in history. The decisions that they made, their mistakes and their successes, were certainly enabled by the regular folk of their eras, but they were not inevitable.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    There were some issues with historical accuracy where I could totally understand the reactions

You have to keep in mind that this was the era which is commonly conceived as the one in which most of Europe's nations began to take form

And if something seems ill-informed or centered on a specific interpretation of history, this can give off bad vibes to people

For example, Charlemagne required Norse rulers for the emergence of Scottish or Russian culture before they went and changed it

• nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: what I really want more than anything is to be able to send missionaries as a reformed pagan. Even if it's just a mod, and not official DLC.

camo_sig2.png
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: what I really want more than anything is to be able to send missionaries as a reformed pagan. Even if it's just a mod, and not official DLC.

That sounds like a glorious way to get around gavelkind.

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    There were some issues with historical accuracy where I could totally understand the reactions

You have to keep in mind that this was the era which is commonly conceived as the one in which most of Europe's nations began to take form

And if something seems ill-informed or centered on a specific interpretation of history, this can give off bad vibes to people

For example, Charlemagne required Norse rulers for the emergence of Scottish or Russian culture before they went and changed it

Yeah, but most of these historical accuracy types are the sort to implement artificial events if you for example conquer areas they don't want you to conquer, that just gut your manpower or income for no reason.

• nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

That sounds like a glorious way to get around gavelkind.

Hadn't even thought about it, but yes. If those filthy Catholics can get around their elective laws doing it I should be able to as Fylkir.

camo_sig2.png
    Looks like the next DLC is going to be all about the Eastern steppes. Wonder how that'll affect the Mongol Invasions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5pIdN4iSZk

Is something wrong with my game or does India indeed have a generic CoA

I mean, look at that thing

Shouldn't it be some sort of badass tiger

coa.jpg~original

For anyone wondering, there's also no flavor text if you become Samrat Chakravartin, the three empires get replaced by India and that's it

edited June 2015
    Obligatory map screenshot!

india.jpg~original

Square provinces are the bane of pretty borders

Platy on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Now that you're Samrat Chakravartin, go ahead and convert Mecca to your religion!

I started a game last night intending to conquer Europe as the Mongols.

Instead, I got bogged down in trying to (re)conquer Persia as a Zoroaster.

77 years old. I've got everything except Khiva, which is under the Golden Horde. I declare an invasion.

My ruler dies in battle, my 50k stack gets annihilated by a 42k stack, I inherit as a two year old child, an independence faction triggers immediately and splits the realm into itsy bitsy pieces pieces.

Oh CK2.

How I've missed you.

• President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I've been playing Norse in the Charlemagne start and discovered I'm not really sure how to contend with the Gavelkind when it starts becoming nested generations (I formed a duchy and had 8 provinces and 4 sons. My heir got the duchy title and the two most built-up counties. 3 counties went to the other 3 sons. the other 3 were already vassals. But now when my next ruler dies, everyone's voting for the 2nd eldest son, but it seems like my current holding will just end up splitting my duchy into 2 counties (well, a 1-county duchy and another county).

So it appears I'd really need to focus on capturing religious sites and reforming the Germanic religion or converting to Catholicism so I can go feudal as fast as possible. Otherwise son-limiting seems to be the only feasible option.

Then Denmark declared a subjugation war for Norge (...despite apparently only having Sjaelland in the Scandinavian peninsula, which I'm not sure is even part of de jure Norge). Then they brought in Old Sweden and Saxony, so it was basically my 3000 dudes against 25000+, which I don't think there's any feasible way to maintain or re-obtain independence in the foreseeable future.

Unrelatedly: The historical accuracy is something nice to strive for as long as it's organic (or you're not trying to fulfill some other purpose). But I also like working somewhat realistically in the historical framework. The CK2 timeline is so long, that is conceivable that history could change to support the enatic-cognatic succession (and if that persisted long enough, maybe some enclave of enatic succession) and that women would be granted greater equality. Especially with the prevalence of non-Muslim, non-Christian options available in the game now. There's shieldmaidens of Norse culture that could evolve barring excessive Catholic interference. There are also some chiefdoms in India that I think had exclusively matrilineal succession for some nobles (even if men mostly held the positions). There's also Tacitus' writing about the Sitones being ruled by women, but which is probably made up and is supposed to act as symbolism of barbarian inferiority.

I think it's important to stress the low probability of a chain of events like the Catholics being kept out of Scandinavia, the Germanic religion becoming institutionalized, shieldmaidens becoming more prominent than their few dubious historical examples, women slowly gaining lower positions of power that they would be able to exert the cultural influence required to overturn historical precedent and having initial female leaders/lieges be accepted to an extent that they could change succession law in anything short of centuries. The built-in modifiers are probably even a bit generous in this respect. The patriarchy dies hard. But I also think that shouldn't come in the way of player agency and fun.

I want to have the option of having a daughter take power and develop a female-prevalent lineage so I modded it in (before grabbing that mod, which is integrated a bit better than my makeshift succession law changes).

Playing under a liege is a common playstyle. The only time it gets super super boring to play under a liege is if they move Crown Authority up past High and you can't wage wars outside the realm because then you're stuck completely unable to increase your holdings except through marriage (and assassination)

Gaining independence is just a matter of gathering enough armies and then pressing for independence during or immediately after a big war.

edited June 2015
    I think that historically, women had it better than most people think. The idea of women being kept at home in movement confining dresses lest the outside air cause a faint was something that developed towards the back end of the Renaissance, growing steadily until an apex in Victorian times.

Women in medieval times certainly weren't seem as the equals of men - one darkly amusing example was that men in England could not legally beat their wives, but there was no law saying women couldn't beat their husbands - but women worked in the fields, were merchants, were tailors, and were even blacksmiths. No one in their right mind would drink ale brewed by a man. Women could have trial by combat, representing themselves. In the medieval european world, it was understood that not only did women have a duty to please their husbands in bed, but men had a duty to please their wives - and the female orgasm was a recognized thing (in fact, it was believed necessary for a woman to have an orgasm if she was to concieve - which had unfortunate implications in rape trials).

While men inherited before women, Matilda was able to press her claim for the throne of England with a certain degree of success. Margaret inherited the Scottish crown suo jure in 1286, and her short life is one of the great what-ifs of history. Matilda of Tuscany was one of the most powerful people in Europe, fought the Holy Roman Empire to a standstill for twenty years, participating in some battles directly, and the rise of Italian city states is in large part a consequence of her reign. Eleanor of Aquitaine remains one of the gold standards in the influence and power of medieval women, going to war against her husband, negotiating treaties herself, and acting as regent for England while her son Richard was away on Crusade.

You can look at England in the real world in the year 1200 and see a future where by 1300 you have Absolute Cognatic inheritence. It didn't happen that way, but you don't need to stretch history too far too see how it could have.

Shadowhope on
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Yeah I would really like there to be some mechanics for putting women on a more equal standing.

Maybe even a cool event chain!

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    edited June 2015
    KetBra wrote: »
    Yeah I would really like there to be some mechanics for putting women on a more equal standing.

Maybe even a cool event chain!

Just in case people don't know about it.

Sir Carcass on
    edited June 2015
    Goddamnit, I love this game.
    7SzPfcE.jpg

Playing in India from the earliest start.

One Chief Hosen conquers Farrah in a Zunnist uprising (not from me, my borders didn't reach that far yet). He has no children, so when he dies at the age of 38 a Zunnist in his court by the name of Tahmasp inherits the county. Tahmasp has only one child, a daughter named Kejê. She inherits the county, conquers the rest of the duchy, and creates the title Raj of Zabulistan. She gives Farrah to Akin, a Hindu that happens to be her husband. I conquered the Raj in a Holy War, but since her husband is Hindu like me he keeps his title. I feel sorry for them, and I give him her old duchy.

Akin creates a faction against me. I murder him.

The title passes to another woman, Semeah, who dies of old age within a few years. The title reverted to my current ruler, who grants it to his nephew, Sinhad-Deo. Sinhad-Deo grants Kejê the county of Bost. Kejê promptly rebels against her new overlord, and takes back the Raj that was once hers. When I noticed that the Raj of Zabulistan was under a woman I was like "It can't be her." But it was, and it was awesome.

She's earned the name 'the Usurper,' but that just shows history isn't fair. With no children, and being the last of her line, I'm her heir. She's 38, so children aren't likely at this point. I tried to give her a matrilineal marriage to a guy in my court in his twenties, because she's a total bamf and I want to see if I can keep her line going. But she married some dude in a regular marriage.

I created a plot to murder her new husband, and she immediately joined. I killed off her husband, but meanwhile my nephew tried to rebel against her. I should also mention that due to the results of an invasion, I had two kingdom titles, one of which was gavelkind. Since there was a war within the realm, I couldn't switch off of Gavelkind. I checked, and the nephew was responsible for the only war in my realm. I checked to see what my potential plot power was against him.

357%.

So, now I have Kinslayer and only one kingdom title.

Good! But bad.

And now Kejê looks like she's too old to get married - she's 42, and I can't seem to give her any marriage options. But damn if she isn't having an entertaining run.

And that's why the next time my character has a daughter, I'm naming her Kejê.

Shadowhope on
    So I have cobbled together a pagan kingdom and a Catholic Irish concubine. I have also gathered together all the titles in my realm. I was thinking of having my leader convert to Catholicism, set up feudalism, and then set up a non-pants-on-head succession system. Then I figure my leader will likely die somewhat soon after and the primogeniture or other law I set up will put a pagan back in charge.

I'm just wondering if this set-up will work or the game will revert me to agnatic elective gavelkind when a leader that's unreformed pagan happens to come to power again. Or will there be weird tribal conflicts with all of the provinces where I don't have the über hillforts that I can transform into castles?

(Of course, knowing the RNG, my 31 year old guy will probably live to be 85 and everything will be Catholic by the time his son comes to power.)

If you're not reformed, Pagans can't have primogeniture. I'm 99% certain it will switch you back to gavelkind.

Also, unless they changed something, when you convert all your children in your court will convert as well. If you do it, make sure your heir is landed somewhere else so that he doesn't convert (and then make sure that no one kills him before you die)

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    So I'm playing as Scotland starting in the Old Gods period and I've noticed that when my first heir inherits, my kingdom defaults back to Gavelkind succession, when you start out as a Tanistry. How come? Is this a bug, or something else I wasn't aware of?

Mr Ray wrote: »
    So I'm playing as Scotland starting in the Old Gods period and I've noticed that when my first heir inherits, my kingdom defaults back to Gavelkind succession, when you start out as a Tanistry. How come? Is this a bug, or something else I wasn't aware of?

Tanistry is in inheritance law only a particular culture group can have (Celtic, I believe). So if your heir's culture isn't in the right culture group, it'll default back to Gavelkind.

• UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    I picked this up in the Steam sale, and I am still playing through the Learning Scenario. I am simultaneously completely overwhelmed by, and completely in love with this game!

I'd recommend watching some of Arumba's videos on YouTube to help get a grasp on the game. I think he even has a tutorial series.

Thanks, I will definitely give those a look. I think the sheer amount of information, plus the mechanics of learning how to do something I want to do is the overwhelming part. Even after I've done it in the Learning Scenario, it is easy to forget until I do a couple more times. So, watching videos (especially tutorial ones) would definitely be helpful.

That said, I just love the "feel" of this game so far. In a way, so far it feels very sandboxy to me, like I am crafting a story (which may end tragically for my dynasty), versus trying to "win" a game. I think it is going to get me interested in reading up on my medieval history as well.

My plan sort of worked.

I waited until my king Peder the Ironside had reigned for 10 years. Then, once things had calmed down, he converted to Catholicism and enacted feudalism. Then upped Crown Authority and enacted Ultimogeniture (...although it is weird to me that ultimogeniture requires lower authority that primogeniture). Converted a stone fort to a castle, then spent some saved up money building a couple cities. It did revert to Gavelkind when my ruler died, but the feudalism seems to remain intact (can hypothetically change gender laws and all the cities seem just fine). I think it might mess with levies and vassal happiness (sounds like there's a -30 modifier for 'different holding' for tribes), but I haven't doled out the titles yet, despite being 14/10 demesne when Peder died. Now I need to figure out if I want to push for reforming paganism and see if I can make it before the new guy dies, but I just got him to his majority and need to hand out titles.

So it seems like if your line of rulers runs anywhere into a non-reformed pagan you're going to revert to gavelkind. (which may be useful information for UreshiiAkuma).

But I do feel sort of bad for some of Peder's first born son. Peder had a first wife Ingrid and a second Ingrid (...liked his Ingrids, apparently). He also had a favored Catholic Irish concubine captured in raids along the English coast. Ingrid 1 was just a courtier and died in childbirth around the 5th child. Peder remarried a slightly more upstanding Ingrid that was the daughter of the Grand Chief of Denmark (forging some semblance of an alliance between Denmark and pseudo-Norge). And decided to have some more kids with her. Out of 9 kids, Peder ended up with 3 sons: Aleifr the eldest and Peder from Ingrid 1 and Halsted from Ingrid 2 (...and an assortment of daughters from all three).

Aleifr came of age when the ruler Peder was 34. He had relatively good stats and was fairly well groomed as a leader (quick, gregarious and just), but still ended up as a misguided warrior. Apparently not too misguided, because he joined the Varangian Guard shortly after coming of age. When he left, he was first in line for the succession as the lead among Gavelkind.

Before indulging his concubine and seeing about the whole Christian thing, Peder decided to try to capture some Pagan holy sites with some claims he'd been working on since his reign began. In the war for Uppsala, his very martial son (also named Peder) died in battle against the proto-Swedes, but the war was eventually won. Since the Germanic faith didn't have the structure and refinement that Peder sought (...it was impossible to reform at the time), Peder decided to convert to Catholicism. The Pope was not a fan of him maintaining the status quo with his advisors, but the Pope has some problems with Muslims basically overrunning all of West Francia and Iberia. Peder rearranged the realm laws and 8 year old Halsted became the new heir.

A few years later, Aleifr returned from his stint in the Guard as a scarred, battle-hardened warrior to find himself disinherited to his half-brother 12 years younger, his brother dead, his father following some strange new religion induced by his concubine, and the tribal heritage of the realm broken up by new "cities" and immense castles. He was basically made mayor of a new city near the capital. He took it all quite well, I'd say.

(I don't think he even joined the plot to kill his father Peder, like all of the ungrateful Godis.)

I watched / listened to the first two Arumba tutorial vids over lunch. They are incredibly helpful for me ... I think they work really well after having played through the tutorial (or at least part through it), to expand on or translate a lot of the concepts that the tutorial tried to introduce. Once I finish the learning scenario, I think I will try a county in Ireland as suggested. Maybe whichever one my ancestors came from...

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Mr Ray wrote: »

Tanistry is in inheritance law only a particular culture group can have (Celtic, I believe). So if your heir's culture isn't in the right culture group, it'll default back to Gavelkind.

Nope, my King is Scottish and so are all his sons. I've reloaded a few times to check this wasn't a one-off and whichever heir ends up inheriting, they revert to Gavelkind. My only options for inheritance laws are Gavelkind and Elective Gavelkind. This is irritating since the whole reason I picked Old Gods Scotland was so that I could have fun screwing around as a tribe for a while before I have to do the whole rush to feudal thing, but it looks like I'm going to have to rush to feudal now anyway.

I think this is a bug, to be honest. I mean why else would the game start me off with a succession law that I immediately become ineligible for after inheriting once? I'd bet money the code behind succession laws is something like:

CASE (Culture = Scottish OR Culture = Irish) THEN SuccessionLaws.Add(Tanistry)

CASE (Government = Tribal) THEN
    SuccessionLaws.RemoveAll();
    SuccessionLaws.Add(Gavelkind, ElectiveGavelkind)

Mr Ray on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Yeah - I think the bug was that you could have Tanistry at all as a tribal, @Mr Ray; I think you should need to convert to feudalism first.