As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crusader Kings III: You Can Steal the Pope's Hat

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Oh darn, my stupid heir went and converted to Christianity while he was off gallivanting around in a mercenary company. Back in my day we worshiped respectable gods, thank you very much.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Oh darn, my stupid heir went and converted to Christianity while he was off gallivanting around in a mercenary company. Back in my day we worshiped respectable gods, thank you very much.

Is your crown authority high enough to arrest him for heresy and throw him in the oubliette?

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Or try forcing him to convert when he comes back. It's just a phase.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    hordes don't have crown authority

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    The new commander interface is really nice, marrying your daughters off to highly skilled battle commanders so you can get them in your court is a really good idea now.

The what now? Haven't checked out this new patch/DLC yet. Do tell.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Hordes also apparently don't have limits?
    6FA47DACC92F796CB8CFEA668622BBA1803EDD7E
    I may... I may have subjugated the Abbasids as they were dealing with a decadence revolt. And cranked up feudal taxes to max. And now make literal tons of gold a year. Subjugation CB is too good. It's ridiculous that I can eat the world's largest empire in one war. And because feudal opinion doesn't matter as a horde, I get all the benefits despite the fact that all of my new subjects despite. Sure, some vassals try to revolt but all that means is that I'm slowly populating Persia and Arabia with good, proper Tengri Khazars as I revoke the fools' titles away. Literally one well timed war and I'm easily the most powerful empire in the world by a mile. Once I'm done sorting out all the rebellious emirs, I'll make the Byzantines and the Indian kingdoms my tributaries. Maybe see if I can't move my capital to some really high tech middle-eastern region. Jerusalem's independent because the Shia Caliphate revolt managed to steal it from him. Considering how rare it is to see them doing well, I think I'll let them have that land, for now.

Gundi on
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I know that you can burn down tribal holdings but there's no way to get rid of a proper barony, right?

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    I know that you can burn down tribal holdings but there's no way to get rid of a proper barony, right?

If you raid a barony sometimes they get damaged, and if they have no buildings left can be destroyed, but it is not a reliable way to do so.
    The new commander interface is really nice, marrying your daughters off to highly skilled battle commanders so you can get them in your court is a really good idea now.

You can now assign your marshal as a general to lead your armies and also appoint 2 (or more?) commanders who can also lead your armies. These do not have to be vassals but can be anyone in your court like unlanded sons or hangers on. Before only your recruited vassals could lead your armies.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

If you raid a barony sometimes they get damaged, and if they have no buildings left can be destroyed, but it is not a reliable way to do so.

You can now assign your marshal as a general to lead your armies and also appoint 2 (or more?) commanders who can also lead your armies. These do not have to be vassals but can be anyone in your court like unlanded sons or hangers on. Before only your recruited vassals could lead your armies.

I'm pretty sure I was able to put random, unlanded court people in charge of armies before. It was a handy way to eliminate threats.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Uh-oh, Nomad mechanics seem pretty OP

Empire-level subjugation wars? Seriously? Beating up both the Byzantines and the Abbasid blob?

The Abbasids can be absolutely awful if you're for example trying to start a Zoroastrian or Zunist game

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Nomads have been the end boss of CK2 since its inception

Now you can play as them

I think hilariously OP domination is pretty much the only reasonable way that could have gone as a thing to have fun with

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »

Now you can play as them

I think hilariously OP domination is pretty much the only reasonable way that could have gone as a thing to have fun with

It's not as if we ever had any guarantee that all things would be equally hard. Republics are already playing an only mostly-similar game.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »

Now you can play as them

I don't know how things could be remotely historical and not be op.

I mean for all intents and purposes sufficiently large nomad hordes wrecked settled empires throughout this period.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Well let's not over-generalize. Specific nomadic peoples wrecked empires throughout history. Most, you know, didn't. The Huns, the mongols, etc. were more the exception than the rule. And generally they were successful for very specific reasons, be it a specific advantage in technology/tactics or simply having great timing.

Update on my horde game, I reformed the Tengri faith but unfortunately nomadic rulers can't ask vassals to convert. So instead I'm slowly replacing all the mid level vassals who'll be feudal and they'll end up slowly getting everyone else to convert for me. Good thing about the hordes religion wise is that any Khan can convert to the religion of any other Khan in the realm. And if the Khans like the Khagan enough they're almost always convert to the Khagan's religion. Already had a few of my Khans go through brief muslim or buddhist phases before converting back. Should my wayward Catholic heir (Who I for some reason can't recall.) ever actually inherits, I'll be able to easily convert back.

Gundi on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Well thats really like saying that European empires in the early modern era as a rule didn't gobble up gigantic chunks of territory, and that france, spain, portugul, and england were exceptions. Sure, but those exceptions were pretty damn big.

Besides, just off the top of my head in this period, as far as successful kingdom and empire level horde invasions you had:

The magyars invading hungary
    The pechnegs invading romania
    The seljuks invading persia, the abbasids, and the byzantines
    The ghaznavids into persia and then india
    The khitan into china
    The jurchen into china
    The mongols into everywhere
    Possibly the ghurids into india, ottomans into byzantium, and timurids into persia and iraq depending on how loosely you want to define nomadic hordes

Plus countless other out of period examples ranging from the early indo-european invasions of iran and india in the late bronze age to the manchurian conquest of ming china.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options

I finally started a game as a nomad.

It's just like it was when I first started to play CK2!

In that I have no idea what's going on and there's five different people immediately declaring war on me and it's game over within about ten years and what the fuck just happened?

Does anyone have any Nomad starts that they would recommend that are unlikely to cause my chair to fly through my monitor?

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Did you start with the Ghengis Khan before he was Ghengis Khan start?

Because I bet $5 you did!

You didn't even get to the really bad part

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    KetBra wrote: »

You just lost $5. I started with the Maygar and Khazar, and a few others in the Charlemagne start.

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »

You just lost $5. I started with the Maygar and Kazan, and a few others in the Charlemagne start.

769 Bolghar is a good start. You'll have at least one easily winnable war early on and if you make nice with Khazaria they'll leave you alone. Lots of easy expansion nearby and playing as a Tengri Nomad is flat out fun. This is the start I went with to learn the new Nomad stuff and its served me pretty well.

You might get a really crappy start that results in an unwinnable war, but it only happened to me once of my three starts there. Just alternate your Chancellor between making nice with Khazaria and boosting clan opinion of you. I picked the clan that liked me the most, boosted their opinion of me via chancellor and then defeated the other clan in a quick war and absorbed them.

Fun stuff, hope it works as well for you as it does for me.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    You basically have to play and hope all the RNG goes your way.

There's no real skill involved in the first 100 years.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    The Khazars in the first two earliest start dates are pretty easy. You'll get declared on a bunch but unless you're really unlucky it's not anything you won't be able to handle. Just a lot of free money and prestige. Remember to always be raiding those Byzantines.

I love when I get a string of rulers with cool nicknames, the last three, all brothers, had the nicknames "The Lion", "The Wolf", and "The Sword of Tengri."

Gundi on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Oh huh I have recently discovered one bad thing about Horde governments. If you're unlucky and end up with a child character you lose the Khagan title. Not a big deal, right? Except if you've conquered substantial feudal territory the new Khagan will settle down, taking all that territory with him. That happened to me.

Since then I grew up, retook control of the clans, seriously expanded my grazing land by making a concerted effort to eat into the remaining hordes and tribes, and I subjugated the Byzantines. (They were weak as they were attacking the Tengri Arabian empire.) I could probably take the Arabian empire back (I have a claim on it and horde troops are amazing.) but I'm already sort of hitting my vassal limit. And it seems like I can only gives Khans kingdom titles for some reason. I tried to upjump some dukes but it just wouldn't let me give them the titles... not sure if intentional or just a bug. I've got eight clans under me right now though, so once I expand my grazing land even more to make sure none of them will be powerful enough to be trouble, I might retake Arabia and give all of them one extra kingdom to rule over to keep me under my vassal limit.

Gundi on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah nomads can build big huge empires easily, but their bonds are a lot weaker than a feudal structure. One early death can properly screw you over, and young rulers without much prestige get pretty massive negative penalties.

Plus if you do lose a big fight you might be proper fucked, feudal troops are weaker and usually have less, but they can keep replacing them easily. Your precious nomad doomstack is a lot more difficult to replace

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    It's all a bit weird but I have discovered that boning the Pope is a great money maker

Oh my god

Why did I never try this

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    So nomads have Prestige-based inheritance.

Now, normally I prefer to pick the spouse for my heir based on their stats (and genetic traits), not their rank. However, if I keep doing that in nomadic government, my heir will end up no longer being my heir. I'm going to need to rethink this whole marriage deal.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    There is no fucking way my heir is going to survive to adulthood. How do I know this? Well, he's set to inherit Byzantium, which is pretty great considering that grandpa was a count in Italy.

Also, his stats basically mark him for a death through the sniffles or something equally annoying:
    XjtXR6w.png

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    Well bugger me sideways. He survived, and inherited. Maybe he'll live to see the day he becomes an emperor?

dpmTyvr.png

• Options
    Elective monarchy breeding?

• Options
    Nope, just got ridiculously lucky. He'll probably die at age 35 from a stubbed toe.

• Options
    Sometimes you just get lucky and have insane rulers.

My personal favourite is still the literal spawn of satan I got who reformed the Roman Empire. He had some insane stats.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    So, do you guys play this with or without Ironman. Normally I don't do Ironman on a game like this, because fuck me it's frustrating. But the whole achievement thing keeps the lizard part of my brain saying it's the "real" way to play over and over. Am playing as Mercia in the Charlemange start and nordling adventurers are wrecking my carefully laid plans for regional domination...

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I've never touched Ironman. It can be frustrating enough sometimes without it (losing can be hilarious, but when it's an ill-timed game ender it isn't so much). And then there's all the extra save time...

Someday I may because I kind of want to go achievement hunting. Still, haven't been able to make myself do it yet.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I used to ironman a lot more when there was an "assassinate for x gold" button in an effort to keep myself from save scumming. Now that the assassinate button is gone and you have to do it via plot it's not as big a deal.

EDIT: me=myself grammar hurr durr

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Oh my god. This may have been the best character I've ever had in CK2. Also, I'm playing Ironman at the moment. Seriously though, goddamn.
    Also, my heir was a retarded dwarf, but luckily his son was better and my heir died in an accident. Honestly!

7mkCiIB.png

Lazarus II survived through 5 smallpox infections, 2 typhus, 3 measles, 12 assassination attempts and constant war during his 50 year reign.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    Centuries later he would find himself in conflict with Gotham's greatest detective.

• Options
    what killed him?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    what killed him?

Gotham's greatest detective.

He got better.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    what killed him?

bEAYrwE.png

Understandable, considering that he basically single-handedly pulled Byzantium back together, conquered all the lost eastern provinces, half of Italy and all of Bulgaria and the lands of the Eastern Adriatic connecting Italy to Greece.

That, and maybe those assassinations etc. stacked up. :P

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I have a tendency to name all my genius heirs with my family names, to keep them separate in my mind. So when one of my daughters was blessed with the genius trait, I named her after my sister in law. I guess in hindsight, the fact she became a spawn of Satan was pretty obvious. Thankfully, the gate of hell event popped up before she could wipe out her siblings, so I sent her back to where she belonged. After this, a genius son was born, and I named him after Mr. Muzz. He was an excellent king, which had the unfortunate side effect of causing half the boys in my family tree to be named after him, confusing me to no end.

• Options
    Have you guys noticed that the norse AI is a little more agressive? I play pretty much exclusively in scandanavia and my last few games one of the AI rulers gets close to holding the empire title before the year 800.

ALSO: It looks like they fixed the thing where you could tell someone you were going to join their war and then just ignore it. It looks like if you don't send troops and fight in a battle it still counts as turning down a call to arms.

camo_sig2.png