As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crusader Kings III: You Can Steal the Pope's Hat

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I'm having second thoughts about starting my "equality for all" cult since I'm hearing that even under a gender-equal religion, characters will still default to patriarchal marriage. Meaning, if your primary heir is female and gets married to Duke Bumfuck of Bumfuckistan patriarchally, that means that all of her heirs will be of someone else's dynasty, potentially leading to a game over in short order. I'm thinking I should be okay so long as I switch all of my titles to Tanistry first; Tanistry succession can only be from within your dynasty, so in a situation like I just mentioned a female heir's children wouldn't be in consideration for inheritance in the first place.

It shouldn't make a huge difference for your heirs since as your children by default they won't get married on their own even if you land them. It mostly messes up AI inheritance. If all your titles have elective succession laws it might mess up your inheritance because who knows who your primary heir will end up being but you probably shouldn't be making all your titles elective just because of how easily that can screw up your run even without the matrilineal marriage issue.

Tell that to my daughter.

As Matilida playing gender-swapped (i.e., female-dominated) game rules, I granted a Duchy to my second oldest daugther while she was young and not betrothed (Matilda was the Queen of Romagna at this point).

Next I checked, daugther had married Count Bumfuck of Bumfuckistan patrilinealy.

I'm curious. Was the "Allow Marriage" box on the kid's interaction menu unchecked during all that?

I have no idea. I didn't even know that was a thing one could do.

It's a new feature and I'm pretty sure it was created because of how many players would refuse to land their heir in CK2 because of stupid decisions they'd make about remarrying or plotting against their spouse when ruling. I'm still refusing to land mine because as I'm playing a pagan that can take concubines and consorts there are still a lot of ways that my genius breeding program can get ruined on top of the idiotic decisions rulers make that piss off their vassals.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Another thought: The court physician stuff being baked into the base game instead of being part of DLC probably is also skewing causes of death away from a lot of medical related causes compared to CK2.

Yeah, my current court physician is pretty incredible. She treated my melancholy with a reasonable-sounding regime of counselling and exercise, healed a battle wound pretty much instantly, and treated some kind of mystery illness with an enema, which actually worked. In CKII they seemed much more likely to do the whole "Hmm, looks like you have consumption, time to cut off your balls" thing even with good learning.

• Options
    Another thought: The court physician stuff being baked into the base game instead of being part of DLC probably is also skewing causes of death away from a lot of medical related causes compared to CK2.

Yeah, my current court physician is pretty incredible. She treated my melancholy with a reasonable-sounding regime of counselling and exercise, healed a battle wound pretty much instantly, and treated some kind of mystery illness with an enema, which actually worked. In CKII they seemed much more likely to do the whole "Hmm, looks like you have consumption, time to cut off your balls" thing even with good learning.

Judging by how some AI rulers look, I suspect they're still cutting off balls quite a bit. No way that many people in my realm got caught and castrated by the Byzantines. But even just sticking with moderate treatments has served me pretty well in my game so I've never seen much need to go for the extreme treatments. Given that anyone can request those now and not just Brave characters I suspect many AI rulers going for the extreme treatments may explain how many people in my realm are missing eyes or dongs even if on a case by case basis a doctor is less likely to remove things compared to CK2.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Judging by how some AI rulers look, I suspect they're still cutting off balls quite a bit. No way that many people in my realm got caught and castrated by the Byzantines. But even just sticking with moderate treatments has served me pretty well in my game so I've never seen much need to go for the extreme treatments. Given that anyone can request those now and not just Brave characters I suspect many AI rulers going for the extreme treatments may explain how many people in my realm are missing eyes or dongs even if on a case by case basis a doctor is less likely to remove things compared to CK2.

Matilda was at death's door with typhus. I requested the extreme treatment (I had the "you'll be dead soon" notice up, so not much to lose). No loss of limbs and full recovery.

A+ would eat leeches again.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I love when a character is injured looking for like, years. They're all bruised and bloody looking in the face, it makes it look like they're sneaking off to medieval fight club every week for years

• Options
    beavisofsmokebeavisofsmoke Registered User regular
    So there's a reset perks option, it costs a bunch of stress to use but it can be useful. I couldn't change my heir from my 60 year old brother who had most of the diplomacy skill tree filled out, but I at least could fix the fact that he had me completing the befriend scheme side last.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Patch 1.1 ETA tommorow, here are the notes

Way too long to even summarize, but they do fix the character-based achievement not working on saves post-character, as well as most of the other bugs/issues people have brought up (spouses will be more loyal, dispute heritage intrigue shenanigans are now only doable by players, etc.)

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I love when a character is injured looking for like, years. They're all bruised and bloody looking in the face, it makes it look like they're sneaking off to medieval fight club every week for years

My last guy it made sense because he took up whipping himself for stress relief

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

Way too long to even summarize, but they do fix the character-based achievement not working on saves post-character, as well as most of the other bugs/issues people have brought up (spouses will be more loyal, dispute heritage intrigue shenanigans are now only doable by players, etc.)
    On the other hand, playing in a region with a Female Dominated/Preferential faith felt weird/played suboptimally with patrilineal marriages being the default, so we fixed that by making matrilineal marriages the norm there.

Hopefully this means matriachal realms are going to have less marriage problems going forward.

• Options
    edited September 2020

Some more highlights (it's really long)

-Crusader states shouldn't immediately keel to populist factions and take on the local faith/culture.
    -Lieges should be more willing to demand conversion from vassals if they can arrest them if they refuse, even if they aren't someone who particularly cares about that.
    -Bigger Fervor gain from heresies. This + above should make Catholicism and other large religions more stable.
    -AI more likely to ask Pope for money, which for would-be founders of Rome should make it less likely that the Pope has the funds for hiring literally all the mercenaries in Italy.
    -Better odds for knights surviving: See at least two entries for this, one where they get even better odds from being on the side with a numbers advantage and another where being wounded no longer makes it more likely to get killed.
    -Refusing CtA from allies now costs Fame (potentially reducing your fame rank) rather than prestige.
    -"Take the Vows" can now be used on those who would inherit Titles! To prevent abuse, the AI's willingness has been reworked, only Strong hooks can force it, and vow-takers always leave your court.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    - Characters that should be naked no longer wear cloaks

*uninstalls*

• Options
    - Characters that should be naked no longer wear cloaks

*uninstalls*

The crown is the only symbol of authority anyone really needs anyway. Except in cultures that don't use crowns, but I'm sure they too will have some way of telling the common people that the guy with no clothes is, in fact, the Emperor.

• Options
    LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    Nerfing abductions seem necessary, was using that to get enough piety to recreate hellenism with hilarious effects. Sad that that save file got corrupted, not sure if it will be possible to pull off still now.

My method was this: Start as Norse (Haesteinn was my choice, as you get sweet event troops + start as feudal). Build up a powerbase, make your heir intrigue focused. Get abductions, double schemes. Abduct empererors and sacrifice them for 500 piety each. If you got on a roll you could get 11 month 95% chance abuctions, since the new emperors where disliked and had many willing agents. Combine with some raid for captives wars and I managed to get just enough to flip hellenistic right before I died of age. Also flipped to learning after filling the schemeing tree, for cheaper conversion and more health.

Do hope they fixed the schemes getting stuck, as if they did that it might still be possible to pull of. Annoying bug where your second scheme would get stuck at ready, and you couldn't cancel it.

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

I’m just like Jesus countess you look like a bear mauled you get your shit together

• Options
    It sounds like they're removing excommunication from player head of faiths that have communion. That's both disappointing but also highly understandable given how strong of an ability that was. I wonder of that also means indulgence payments are out.

That said, being able to ask anyone to take the vows removes once of the big uses for excommunication. And vassals being less eager to declare war overseas removes one of the biggest reasons for revoking titles after I excommunicated someone.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    It sounds like they're removing excommunication from player head of faiths that have communion. That's both disappointing but also highly understandable given how strong of an ability that was. I wonder of that also means indulgence payments are out.

That said, being able to ask anyone to take the vows removes once of the big uses for excommunication. And vassals being less eager to declare war overseas removes one of the biggest reasons for revoking titles after I excommunicated someone.

I want to say that the text for Communion already states that (it was suppose to be) only a Spiritual HoF that could excommunicate, so I assume regular bribes from same-faith members via indulgences is still in.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

It looks like North Korea mode is getting nerfed to the ground.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options

I want to say that the text for Communion already states that (it was suppose to be) only a Spiritual HoF that could excommunicate, so I assume regular bribes from same-faith members via indulgences is still in.

I'm mostly disappointed because after learning that excommunicating people made monasticism's use in trimming succession superfluous I'd been looking forward to replacing monasticism with natural primitivism in my next game. Instead it looks like I'll be keeping the same or swapping out communion with religious law which are sensible but less interesting arrangements.

Steam Profile
  • Options

I've found that flagellation is borderline OP if you have a good physician; whip away the stress, then physician immediately heals it back up again.

Incidentally, here's what the patch notes really mean:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/j1okie/crusader_kings_3_patch_11_notes_what_they/

Personal favorites:
    • Just because your dad is an asshole and called you a failure and cast you out of the family doesn't mean no one anywhere in the world will ever let you inherit anything. I mean, he was probably right about you but if you get on a boat to India they probably won't know or care yet.
    • Lower-rank clan rulers won't get penalties for failing to have an entire harem anime going on.
    • Telling your failson to go shave his head and live in a dark building he's not allowed out of where he can only eat bread and sing hymns no longer gives you piety, because never having to see him again is its own reward.
    • We've introduced a cap to living dynasty member Renown gain so you can't just rush all the perks by having 5000 stupid, ugly babies.
    • The Inbred trait is now less likely to be passed on as long as you don't take an already Inbred character and continue to inbreed them. We know you're gonna do it anyway, of course. You're all gross.
    • You can no longer get the living legend achievement by simply starting a game as Haesteinn. It was simply OP to allow him to be as cool as we all know he was.
    • Brutally killed North Korea Mode. You're bad for using it and you should feel bad.
    • Vassals of a cowardly liege will no longer pretend to be cowardly when he's in the room to make him feel better.
    • Fixed the "<child> has no reason to stay at court" message claiming the child is your stepbrother or sister rather than child. Although knowing you lot, it's very possible that they're both.
    • The little icon that tells you how likely you are to win a battle should no longer be completely full of shit most of the time.
    • Fixed a scope mis-match in the lover reveal event which caused the event to describe people having affairs with themselves. We all do it but the entire court doesn't need to hear about it, okay?
    • Fix war participant tooltip not listing the number of knights but just repeating the word knight
    • knight
    • knight
    • knight
    • knight
    • Made it easier to kill grandma.
    • Babies will no longer be assigned commander traits through a yearly event. I know everyone wants to brag about how smart your kid is but I'll believe he can pull off a double envelopment when he stops shitting in his pants.
    • Blocked the seduction of characters who are imbeciles or incapable. Again, not necessarily surprised we had to do this. Just disappointed.
    • Rad ass hats are now mandatory in the Byzantine Empire.
    • knight
    • Devouring people will now have a clearer impact on your stress level. I still have several questions.
    • Fixed being able to send multiple Blackmail interactions to the same character while waiting for their first response because you keep coming up with even more fucked up things to threaten them with and just can't wait to talk about it.
    • Fixed broken god reference in a death transition text.
    • Y̟̰̩O̳̮̼̼͇ͅU̠̭͎͚̳͚ ̨̫̰̥M̢͔͕US̴̤̪̺̖̣̟ͅT͚͓̲͙̝͎͖ ͅN͖̙͚E̹̯̟̖̘̭̱ṾͅḘ͇̤̩͇̥͘R̼̫ ̥̬̖̳͇̹R̰̕E̜̣͉͓͇̮F̝͉͓̤̘E͕͇͞R͓̟̞̘͕̦͍E̮͎̲̘̻̠͖N̳̫̰̞͓͚̩Ć͙E̟̘ ̱̰̳̭ͅṬ̯̙̲͔̣͟H҉͈E̥͔͙̙ ̹B҉̫͚RO̰̝̣K̸̥̼̥̱̫̙E̡N̮̤͙̯̖͡ ̯͔̬͠G̨͓͇̜̪̦͈͎O̘̫D҉̲̙̯͓̺͖.̯̖͔͝ ̦̳͎͎̹̟̼Ṯ̘̼H̙͉̞̲̀E̘ ҉̣B̹̣̖͇R̮̠̳͚ÒK̯̲E͇͚̙͍̤̤͜N͍̠͔͙ ̘̤̼̹̞̰̟G͚̼̳͝O̡̼D̢̝̖ ̟̮̠̱I̪͓͝S ͖E̶͇V̳̗̟ͅḘ͔̠̥̹̖̰Ṛ̨͙̬̞̻̤̙Y͈͉̜̗̥W͓̮̳H̜̖͕ͅERE̙͈.̨ ͝I̛̥͔͖͍Ţ̫ͅ ̴̩͔̟W̲̱̠͙̘I͝L̡͓͚̞̰̹L͙͖̯ͅ ̲̘̗HE͏̮͇̙̤̤A̳͝R̮̗ ͜Y̧̖̗̜̩̬OU̡̟.̱̲̦̪͟
    • knight
    • Historical characters will no longer be their own parent. But we're sure you would be if we gave you that option.
    • Married couples will no longer be exposed as if they have an affair if they're also lovers, as shocking and scandalous as it must be that a married couple in the middle ages more than tolerates each other.
    • Rum now no longer takes dynasty names, always retaining its title name regardless of the holder's culture, so you'll never be left wondering why is the Rum gone
    • The Pope can no longer publicly accept cannibalism.
    • Publicly.
    • Unlanded characters will no longer be able to drag prisoners around in a big cage on wheels.
    • You can no longer lose a friend you didn't have. So if you're reading this: look on the bright side!
    • knight

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

I've found that flagellation is borderline OP if you have a good physician; whip away the stress, then physician immediately heals it back up again.

Incidentally, here's what the patch notes really mean:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/j1okie/crusader_kings_3_patch_11_notes_what_they/

Personal favorites:
    • The Inbred trait is now less likely to be passed on as long as you don't take an already Inbred character and continue to inbreed them. We know you're gonna do it anyway, of course. You're all gross.
    Inbreeding is no joke.

MW7H0GZ.jpg

First one to guess the ancestry right gets an awesome tag.
    (mostly because there's no ewwwwww, tag)

Edit: To clarify. Not my picture & no clue how someone managed that.
    Edit 2: My best guess for the ancestry. Spoilered for eww.
    Best guess for the ancestry.

King Tywin and Queen Joanna had a son Jaime and daughter Cersei together.
    Jaime and Cersei grew up and married.
    They had you Joffrey.
    Joffrey grew up and married Cersei.
    You had Prince Oshere.

Tywin is your grandfather on both side
    Joanna is your grandmother on both side
    Jaime is your Brother-Father
    Cersei is your Sister-Mother-Wife
    Thus making the
    Prince Oshere as your Son-Brother-Cousin.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    Patch is up. UI changes are p noticable right away

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Heads up, there is a bug where women are not getting any claims in male-dominated faiths unless it was a matrilineal marriage, and visa versa.

And yes, this is a bug despite there being a line in the notes saying this was intended. The intended fix was that having male-only realm succession was suppose to stop women from gaining claims as long as the title holder was in a male dominated faith (mainly so your amazonian faith no longer has to deal with men being claimants and still passing their claims to their sons) and they accidently made it to be all cases based on faith (even in cases of equal succession being usable despite faith ala Basque) instead.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Heads up, there is a bug where women are not getting any claims in male-dominated faiths unless it was a matrilineal marriage, and visa versa.

And yes, this is a bug despite there being a line in the notes saying this was intended. The intended fix was that having male-only realm succession was suppose to stop women from gaining claims as long as the title holder was in a male dominated faith (mainly so your amazonian faith no longer has to deal with men being claimants and still passing their claims to their sons) and they accidently made it to be all cases based on faith (even in cases of equal succession being usable despite faith ala Basque) instead.

Two steps forward and one step back for rights of women in ck3, then (the matrilineal marriage bug is allegedly fixed, but I haven't had time to test it myself yet).

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Y'all are wrong for not picking these as your favorites:
    • Björn Ironside has sat down with all of his vassals and explained to them that he probably can't protect them if they go conquer like, fucking Cyprus or something and they should prioritize grabbing counties that are at least within a few months' sailing distance of Scandinavia.
    • Said vassals should also concentrate on conquering counties in a single, contiguous geographic region now, instead of trying to, I don't fucking know, have at least one outpost in every de jure kingdom on the map? What exactly was your logic, there? It's not like you're grabbing centers of trade. This isn't EU4. Calm down and finish your Wales before you start trying to dominate North Africa.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Hooray my possessed, drunken, melancholic, sister fucking heir died! And I didn't even assassinate him! His newborn baby brother is a beautiful genius so even better.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

The UI changes look pretty swell.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Yeah they're pretty cool

also hah I was right the holy order founding on matilda was uniquely broken

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options

I guess this was a good time for me to go ahead with my "equal rights for all" heresy after all. Although I've noticed that my vassals who are caught fornicating are still giving me the right to imprison them, even though I've set adultery to "shunned" for both sexes, so that could be a bug.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    • Björn Ironside has sat down with all of his vassals and explained to them that he probably can't protect them if they go conquer like, fucking Cyprus or something and they should prioritize grabbing counties that are at least within a few months' sailing distance of Scandinavia.
    • Said vassals should also concentrate on conquering counties in a single, contiguous geographic region now, instead of trying to, I don't fucking know, have at least one outpost in every de jure kingdom on the map? What exactly was your logic, there? It's not like you're grabbing centers of trade. This isn't EU4. Calm down and finish your Wales before you start trying to dominate North Africa.

This has been such an improvement. I started a new Halfdan game, formed the Kingdom of England, and don't have vassals picking off random counties in Africa or even France anymore. They're still petty assholes to each other so I have a lot of civil wars but I no longer find myself going "Wait, I'm defending what?" when someone is fighting a de jure war for somewhere in the Middle East or Poland.

Steam Profile
  • Options

Two steps forward and one step back for rights of women in ck3, then (the matrilineal marriage bug is allegedly fixed, but I haven't had time to test it myself yet).

There's a mod that fixes inheriting claims: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2242962442

And this mod that improves upon matrilineal marriages (mostly useful under equality doctrines): https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2242931629

• Options
    Incidentally, does anyone know how the mod playsets work? I can create as many as I like, but I can't figure out how to select any of them other than the default one ("Initial Playset").

• Options

This has been such an improvement. I started a new Halfdan game, formed the Kingdom of England, and don't have vassals picking off random counties in Africa or even France anymore. They're still petty assholes to each other so I have a lot of civil wars but I no longer find myself going "Wait, I'm defending what?" when someone is fighting a de jure war for somewhere in the Middle East or Poland.

It's always, uhm, interesting how as a liege you're always annoyed at the petty bullshit your vassals get up to, but when you're playing as a vassal, you're probably getting up to those exact same shenanigans as well.

• Options
    Will that mod disable achievements?

• Options

It's always, uhm, interesting how as a liege you're always annoyed at the petty bullshit your vassals get up to, but when you're playing as a vassal, you're probably getting up to those exact same shenanigans as well.

I think we're not tolerant of the petty bullshit as the liege because we know what an bickering and expanding vassal can become.

In my game it got a bit confusing because there were two uncles named Halfdanson (the current ruler's father got caught having an affair towards the end of Halfdan's life and thrown into the dungeon since I liked the grandkid better and it skipped a generation of partition) who have similar hair and appearances stirring up shit. One only had a duchy and had got caught in an affair so I unlanded him entirely when he was close to taking over a count's land who I had just given her a few years back. The other is more spread out already so keeping de jure duchies intact will take longer.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Will that mod disable achievements?

I believe so, yes.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    It would probably break it, the general rule is that any mod that changes gameplay elements break achievements.

So far it's under control because the AI also doesn't want to marry down because of the prestige hit. And because almost everyone in the land is either family or evil because of religion, right now most of my high end vassal family just doesn't marry.

Have to see how it evolves. With the "100 family member cap" on renown it matters less anyway.
    I got my desired Faith reform on my second ruler (It is scary to be in your 60s and waiting to hit that faith tresshold)
    Now the conversion process can begin.

I am now planning tiny indepedent rulers, setting up so that you get 1 Duchy Kingdoms to generate more renown, since this game is going to go long.

As an aside, is there a way to target someone to come to your court? I know in CK2 the charfinder method was way overpowered, but it seems so locked down that noone is willing to join ever.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    SanderJK wrote: »
    It would probably break it, the general rule is that any mod that changes gameplay elements break achievements.

So far it's under control because the AI also doesn't want to marry down because of the prestige hit. And because almost everyone in the land is either family or evil because of religion, right now most of my high end vassal family just doesn't marry.

Have to see how it evolves. With the "100 family member cap" on renown it matters less anyway.
    I got my desired Faith reform on my second ruler (It is scary to be in your 60s and waiting to hit that faith tresshold)

I am now planning tiny indepedent rulers, setting up so that you get 1 Duchy Kingdoms to generate more renown, since this game is going to go long.

As an aside, is there a way to target someone to come to your court? I know in CK2 the charfinder method was way overpowered, but it seems so locked down that noone is willing to join ever.

Only way I've generally managed to get people over that didn't hate people where they were chilling at is to seduce them and make them lovers before inviting. This obviously has a limited pool of recipients.

In other news, there still seem to be succession issues with titles that have inheritance laws added on. West Francia has all its king's kingdom titles only going to 1 or 2 sons when there are quite a bit more.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Incidentally, does anyone know how the mod playsets work? I can create as many as I like, but I can't figure out how to select any of them other than the default one ("Initial Playset").

At the top of the launcher where it lists the playlists, you can click the box to select the one you want to use.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular

Only way I've generally managed to get people over that didn't hate people where they were chilling at is to seduce them and make them lovers before inviting. This obviously has a limited pool of recipients.

In other news, there still seem to be succession issues with titles that have inheritance laws added on. West Francia has all its king's kingdom titles only going to 1 or 2 sons when there are quite a bit more.

This is extremely dubious as my goal would be to secure better marriage candidates for grandchildren (who I can't "Find a Spouse" but can "Arrange a Marriage")
    but since this is ck3, I'll consider it....

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options

This is extremely dubious as my goal would be to secure better marriage candidates for grandchildren (who I can't "Find a Spouse" but can "Arrange a Marriage")
    but since this is ck3, I'll consider it....

Admittedly the seduction method is a bit better for inviting concubines over for your own ruler. But given that if a ruler that's nearing the end of his lifespan has his wife die I'll sometimes remarry to someone with good congenital traits to bring them over for my heir . . .

I don't know if it's 100% consistent but I've been able to Find Spouse on grandkids if my ruler is educating them and I'm pretty sure it's also worked if someone else at my court was doing the education. It's a bit of an odd hoop to jump through but I tend to want to choose a guardian for most of my grandkids, nieces, nephews, etc. anyway. The primary reasons are to slow down the slide into mediocrity from poorly educated family members and to prevent any future title claimants from having an intrigue education but being able to handle marriages also was an important benefit for my genius breeding program.

Steam Profile