Options

Crusader Kings III: You Can Steal the Pope's Hat

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    With their DLC shenanigans of late, I'm much more cautious.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I was watching a dev stream and there was definitely some 'hot code' in there (the devs themselves said as much, issues with vassals, etc.), but it's still two months from release so hopefully they'll patch it up by then. CK3 released pretty well vanilla so I'm hoping Victoria might as well (would be the first Victoria game I've tried from them)

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    speaking of DLC, new CK3 DLC has been announced, releasing on Sept. 8th in just a week:
    https://youtu.be/jOFJ4TfJ1tg
    Over one hundred unique new experiences of medieval larger-than-life drama wait to be discovered in the new event pack. From rival noble houses holding lifelong grudges to childhood bullies, summer crushes, and spoiling spouses with lavish gifts. Your ruler’s everyday existence has never been more fraught - or more exciting - than with Crusader Kings III: Friends & Foes.

Family, friends, and those out for your blood are fully brought to life in this rich and stirring event pack.

Your ruler’s day-to-day is filled with a myriad of new events. Experience over one hundred player-driven stories involving childhood, memories, nemeses, wrangling unruly sons, or wooing your significant other with sumptuous attention.
    With a little help from your friends, uncover novel ways to become pals with those you hold dear or even achieve the coveted best friend status.
    Be prepared for ever more dangerous rivals, sharpening their vengeful knives to get back at you. Or pre-empt your nemesis with devious new options… if you dare.

Know thy past to understand the present.

Your characters will reminisce about their personal history with those closest to them, be it a romantic getaway or the painful humiliation that is the seed of a well-nurtured murder plot.
    Childhood is a place where happy memories rest… or not. Experience a character’s youth in full, from brutish bullies to wistful teenage love.
    Past deeds will not be forgotten. Be watchful of the wrath of rival noble houses, plotting to right a perceived wrong, even after many generations.

The Crusader Kings III: Friends & Foes event pack sets the mood with several new music pieces to accompany your ruler’s conspiring and scheming. New soundtracks are general, Western European, and Arabian-themed tunes.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/2114760/Crusader_Kings_III_Friends__Foes/

Zavian on
  • Options
    delf4delf4 Registered User regular
    Paradox really needs to space out their content more. We get new DLC for CK3, EU4, HOI4 and the release of Victoria all within about a month.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    delf4 wrote: »
    Paradox really needs to space out their content more. We get new DLC for CK3, EU4, HOI4 and the release of Victoria all within about a month.

There's been a Stellaris leak as well. The new DLC will get announced on Thursday.

So, yeah. I think every one of their active Grand Strategy titles will get a new piece of content soon.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Except Imperator.

• Options
    Except Imperator.

I think Imperator has pretty much been abandoned, last patch was over a year ago

• Options
    Yeah, development on Imperator has stopped, so I don't consider it one of their active titles any more.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The Byzantine Empire at one point in my PS5 game had most of the map under its control and some 42k troops.

A very long series of very short reigned rulers for some reason later and surprise, an Islamic ruler became head of state somehow.

Complete disintegration of their Empire within 5 years.

What a shame.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    The CK DLC is at least a freebie this time. An event expansion is much needed because it's starting to get suspicious how many foreign queens go hunting with me and come home pregnant with black haired sons.

• Options
    I really hope they eventually do a supernatural events DLC for CK3; werewolves were a lot of fun in CK2, and Animal Kingdoms were as well even if a bit limited

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    I really hope they eventually do a supernatural events DLC for CK3; werewolves were a lot of fun in CK2, and Animal Kingdoms were as well even if a bit limited

I wouldn't really object to that, but part of me hopes Paradox will one day come around to create a fully fantasy Grand Strategy title and don't just bolt supernatural shenanigans onto Crusader Kings, fun as that might be. After all, they already have their sci-fi Grand Strategy title in Stellaris, so why not a fantasy one?

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I really want a CK style game but set in the Battletech universe. They've already got that partnership.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Watching heirs for someone with a religion that doesn't match a majority of their Kingdom/Empire so it crumbles and collapses into civil war is *very* powerful strategy.

Getting a godlike character with the genius trait, master web weaver and a total intrigue somewhere around 40 meant I could murder my way through entire dynasties. King Arvo of Sibir killed over 100 people with murder intrigue plots over his 68 year reign and due to a certain combination of traits, including one that reduced stress by 11 every single time I murdered someone. I then got the learning perks to reduce stress, so even murdering Children only cost me something like 4 stress.

It was extremely effective. He also ended the threat of Ghenkis Khan, whom I rapidly murdered my way through into their disintegration before they did terribly much damage.

Edit: Also while it has a very very very steep UI learning curve, once you're used to it this game works surprisingly well on console - albeit some simple things on PC are an absolute pain in the arsehole on console. One disappointing thing is that I couldn't check what Arvo's final murder tally actually included, but I know it was in the 100s. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an ETA at all on the DLC on console.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

I wouldn't really object to that, but part of me hopes Paradox will one day come around to create a fully fantasy Grand Strategy title and don't just bolt supernatural shenanigans onto Crusader Kings, fun as that might be. After all, they already have their sci-fi Grand Strategy title in Stellaris, so why not a fantasy one?

I think a lot of people want this! But I'm not sure they'd do it without a strong license, instead of building their own fantasy world

The Game of Thrones mod for CK2 was really good and that's the obvious property for a CK-like, but I would love to see a Paradox Lord of the Rings in the Second Age, personally

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

I think a lot of people want this! But I'm not sure they'd do it without a strong license, instead of building their own fantasy world

The Game of Thrones mod for CK2 was really good and that's the obvious property for a CK-like, but I would love to see a Paradox Lord of the Rings in the Second Age, personally

Paradox should team up with fellow Swedes in the Stockholm Kartel and license Mörk Borg.

"Every child under seven years and seven days of age (born and unborn) spontaneously died and raised again as a flesh eating ghoul. Your son and heir killed his nanny and your brother before being put down by guards."

"The village is empty but for corpses. *read the Codex of Nechrubel and begin recruitment*"

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Yeah.

Yes.

Give me a bunch of dumb as hell "slice of life" events.

I'm very excited to dedicate several hours, if not more, of gameplay to completely destroy a childhood rival

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    The CK DLC is at least a freebie this time. An event expansion is much needed because it's starting to get suspicious how many foreign queens go hunting with me and come home pregnant with black haired sons.

Not free, $4.99.

• Options

Not free, $4.99.

Yeah, I see now. I'm confusing Friends and Foes with the Bastion update that comes beside it.

In my defense, several of the F&F features were first described in the news post for Bastion, which made no mention of the paid DLC by name or price.

• Options
    edited September 2022

my favorite Paradox IP mod so far has been the Fallout mod for Hearts of Iron IV; I wish Paradox would start diving into some IP stuff eventually, I feel like they'd make an awesome 40K strategy game

Not free, $4.99.

it's like they're just throwing darts at a board to come up with DLC pricing, it's been all over the place

Zavian on
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Somebody predicted that unifying the price of all the flavor packs was going to be an excuse to introduce some other kind of packs at different price points. I don't remember who or in what thread but here we are like two weeks later with an Event Pack not fitting into the new price scale.

Hevach on
  • Options
    So the new update (and DLC) is out and... either it broke something, I should take another look at my game rules, or maybe something real unlikely but possible happened.

I started as one of the Canary islands, with the long-term goal of consolidating the Canary Islands. Now, my initial plan was to convert to Islam so that I could feudalize, but then I noticed something... odd. When trying to arrange a marriage for my heir, I noticed they could marry a Buddhist.

Which... you know... Buddhism was probably pretty rare in West Africa in the 800s. I can't be sure of how they got there, but I did notice that a nearby county on the West African coast was ruled by a Toaist and a Melie-ist before that. What seems to have happened is that initial African ruler died without any heirs at all whatsoever, and so the county was handed over to a random Asian pagan... somehow... who kept up diplomatic ties with her family back in Asia... somehow... allowing Toaists and Buddhists to show up here in Africa. Somehow.

I don't think that should've happened. Anyway, the Canaries are Buddhist now.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    So the new update (and DLC) is out and... either it broke something, I should take another look at my game rules, or maybe something real unlikely but possible happened.

I started as one of the Canary islands, with the long-term goal of consolidating the Canary Islands. Now, my initial plan was to convert to Islam so that I could feudalize, but then I noticed something... odd. When trying to arrange a marriage for my heir, I noticed they could marry a Buddhist.

Which... you know... Buddhism was probably pretty rare in West Africa in the 800s. I can't be sure of how they got there, but I did notice that a nearby county on the West African coast was ruled by a Toaist and a Melie-ist before that. What seems to have happened is that initial African ruler died without any heirs at all whatsoever, and so the county was handed over to a random Asian pagan... somehow... who kept up diplomatic ties with her family back in Asia... somehow... allowing Toaists and Buddhists to show up here in Africa. Somehow.

I don't think that should've happened. Anyway, the Canaries are Buddhist now.

I don't recall if I shared this, but I had to give up a campaign (and restart from scratch) because, I belated noticed, all my culture codes were shifted down a number. Which meant that cultures were locked, as was, but that anyone who should become Scottish was actually Pictish, and anyone who should become Pictish actually became Welsh, and all the Welsh Anglo-Saxon, all the Anglo-Saxons became Fraconian, etc. (I forget if it was that order or not, but this is what happened). The reason is because all cultures are assigned to a number, and that data is stored in your save.

So then a update (not DLC, just an update) added a culture group unique to the Canary Islands (yes, I know)--I believe this would become number 18. Except my saves only incorporated the new culture, and not the number. So the actual in-game logic was screwed after a certain point in the culture table, and I couldn't complete the event where a French ruler of Anglo-Saxon England becomes English. :(

I wasn't amused. But anyway, I wonder if religions are tracked up the same way, and your table has been shifted up or down one step.

• Options
    The AI doesn't seem to have the diplomatic range rule that players do, they just normally only work in a limited area that seems to be smaller (Scotland can interact with the Byzantine Empire but you rarely hear from the AI farther than France). Until some edge case scenario comes up, like a Buddhist on the wrong end of the map.

As for how they got there, did you have the "generate families" option turned on? That usually prevents people from dying without a valid heir or claimant in the first few minutes of the game, but I thought they generated a new person of the local culture/religion to fill in (kind of like how there's an infinite supply of popes and mayors if you just keep murdering them for no reason) if they run out.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

I could see this going places and helping the general issue of there not being a ton of impactful things to do during peacetime. That especially impacts Martial characters so tournaments would be a great boon to their gameplay.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Currently they still haven't released more than the first DLC for console. Kinda sucks because it's been nearly a year since the game came out and some of the DLC really adds some impactful fun things to the game.

• Options
    edited March 2023

I could see this going places and helping the general issue of there not being a ton of impactful things to do during peacetime. That especially impacts Martial characters so tournaments would be a great boon to their gameplay.

Me: I wish there was more to do besides expansionist war.
    Also me: Haha map color goes brrrrr

I'm not entirely cut out for the subtleties of this game.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Dev Diary 120 - Systemic Refinements

This is a pretty big Dev Diary, talking about how, well, certain systems are gonna get refined. Vassal stances, stationing Men at Arms, buildings, all kinds of stuff.

• Options
    Dev Diary 120 - Systemic Refinements

This is a pretty big Dev Diary, talking about how, well, certain systems are gonna get refined. Vassal stances, stationing Men at Arms, buildings, all kinds of stuff.

Some interesting stuff.

I will say though that I often worry that in attempting to stymie certain strategies that let experienced players gain dominant positions they risk making things even more complicated for newer players already struggling with the game as is. Still, I overall like where they seem to want to go with things. The Men-At-Arms stationing thing could make it much more worth to make a combined force as opposed to just specializing into a single type via duchy buildings.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    The MAA change sounds like it'll weaken that late game tendency for a 1200 man army to annihilate empires in a single pass without even raising levies.

There's still ways to make knights into Dynasty Warriors characters who take down 300 levy soldiers with every swing of the sword, but just MAA might not be enough bulk to keep their army alive against a sea of levies.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    The MAA change sounds like it'll weaken that late game tendency for a 1200 man army to annihilate empires in a single pass without even raising levies.

There's still ways to make knights into Dynasty Warriors characters who take down 300 levy soldiers with every swing of the sword, but just MAA might not be enough bulk to keep their army alive against a sea of levies.

It did sound like levy numbers would also be decreased via fewer buildings that boost it so that sea of levies might not be quite as large. There are so many moving parts from buildings as the game goes on that it's hard to predict things without hands-on experience though.

My read is that they're trying to weaken the strategy of only investing into a single MaA type that was so strong in a single phase of combat it would wipe out enemy stacks and eliminate the need for pursuit phases or other troops but I'm quite out of the loop with regards to current army composition strategies.

The idea of just amassing a single unit type like that and dominating enemies has just never sat right with me. Now excuse me while I go back to playing Bannerlord where my party is almost entirely made up of Battanian Fians.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Tours, Tournaments, and Regencies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q_5-nj0M5k

• Options
    You know, I was intending to get back into this on PS5 when they released the rest of the DLC from the season pass that had been on PC for ages.

I don't think they've released anything beyond the first one in over a year or so. Having been inspired to look, Royal Court is *finally* coming on May 17.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I completely missed the fact that the game of thrones mod has made the jump to ck3. There's some pretty neat stuff there, like the fact that major cities are modeled on the map. Sure am glad I found out about it just in time for the new patch to break it for a while.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    I completely missed the fact that the game of thrones mod has made the jump to ck3. There's some pretty neat stuff there, like the fact that major cities are modeled on the map. Sure am glad I found out about it just in time for the new patch to break it for a while.

Its a v.1 beta at the moment, and as that would suggest, it was incredibly buggy before the patch today. On the bright side, though, the Tours and Tourneys DLC is really adding a bunch of neat stuff for the GoT mod to use. Short term it sucks that its broken, but I think long term it'll make for a much more interesting mod.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    NineNine Registered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »

I played through Roberts Rebellion as Rhaegar, it was a lot of fun. Unfortunately it was over quickly and once you're on the Iron Throne there's not very much to do. I look forward to the modders expanding it.

• Options
    Tours and Tournaments DLC is out now, seems to be getting good reviews on Steam
    https://youtu.be/sD5GsZaF39k
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/2311920/Crusader_Kings_III_Tours__Tournaments/

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I'm glad they're adding more stuff to do in peacetime.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Blimey, that trailer goes places.