As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Zombie: Back Tonight? Sure Final Season?

PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
edited May 2019 in Debate and/or Discourse
So I Zombie premiered last night after the Flash and it wasn't awful! Yeah the character names are puns (main character Liv Moore, ex boyfriend Major Lillywhite), but the main threesome of the show Liv (the titular zombie) , Babineaux (the Lassiter of the show, someone not in the know of the central conciet at least yet) and Ravi (her awfully nice boss in the morgue who's a former cdc duder are all pretty awesome). Her surrounding family kind of sucks with her roommate being a serious nag in the pilot, but hopefully that will get better as they go along.

World building wasn't bad, it was nice for a show to be set in my neighborhood (one thing they got wrong is that KSTW doesn't have a news team, but thats probably more that's the CW network for Seattle and they didn't want to license one of the big three). We'll have to see how interesting the plot of the week is with her brain eating powers, but I like that she also picks up personal traits from the victims which I can only assume will lead to some hilarity down the line. I'd say at least for now it'll do for a good filler post flash pre justified for me and I needed something to fill that gap.

Anyone else tune in last night?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
Preacher on

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    For me it's especially the Veronica Mars connection that makes this interesting. In interviews, the writers keep making it clear that Liv is no Veronica, but how do the tone and humour of the show compare to VM?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I never saw Veronica Mars, but they definitely put a good sense of humor here. And its a zombie show that takes place in a universe with fucking zombies (one of the character is even playing dying light, which just came out in january so good on them being up on the most recent gaming). Definitely humor to be mined here, and if they don't find a way to put Johnathon Coulton's "Eat your brains" in the show at some point they are totally missing out.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i actually really enjoyed this. sharp script, good for a pilot, core cast v likeable

obF2Wuw.png
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    The lead actress is fun, and cute, but her zombie makeover made me go "oh my." She, uh, looks really good as a goth/emo/zombie.

Loved the red Swingline stapler.

I do stand behind the title though this show couldn't be more seattle! Pale white girl who eats instant noodles, watches zombie movies and hangs out at the morgue. Its like every woman I ever dated.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I do stand behind the title though this show couldn't be more seattle! Pale white girl who eats instant noodles, watches zombie movies and hangs out at the morgue. Its like every woman I ever dated.

so that's what happened to your brains

Harsh Nexus.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Harsh Nexus.

I do believe someone got told :)

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Me and my wife watched this last night, too. We both thought it was good fun. Not really something I'm going to make it a point to go out of my way to watch, but definitely enjoyable. The three main characters are all very likeable and seem to work well together. I've never seen Veronica Mars, but equating Babineaux to Lassiter seems very appropriate since there's an obvious Psych-vibe to it (although the dialogue isn't nearly as snappy as Psych and the humor isn't nearly as front-and-center). All in all, I have some hope for it.

The lassie thing seemed the most appropriate since she's a fake psychic and Babineax seems fairly by the book. Though he's not an idiot and when the bad cop wakes up he'll totally say something about Liv and her being dead (because he should be fairly sure he killed her twice).

It was a strong pilot though, and that usually means things can only get better since Pilots are usually the worst episode a show will do.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    The lassie thing seemed the most appropriate since she's a fake psychic and Babineax seems fairly by the book. Though he's not an idiot and when the bad cop wakes up he'll totally say something about Liv and her being dead (because he should be fairly sure he killed her twice).

It was a strong pilot though, and that usually means things can only get better since Pilots are usually the worst episode a show will do.

-Is- she a fake psychic though?

I mean, think about.

True she has more of a connection than your usual conman psychic, but its not like she can tell Black Lassie "Bee tee dubs I'm getting this intel by eating the brains of the dead here."

pleasepaypreacher.net
    She's kinda like the one World of Darkness Malkavian splat that is a professional psychic. Yeah, she actually is psychic, but she can't exactly reveal that she's a fucking vampire. Psychics do not explode when sunlight hits them; I don't care how motherfucking crazy they are.

Big ups for the from dusk till dawn reference.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Big ups for the from dusk till dawn reference.

I do try. *curtsy/bow*

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I liked it. I really, really hope we don't do a "Case of the week" show here because one thing I really hate in modern crime shows is that everything is neatly tied up in a day or so. One of the things I liked about Veronica Mars was that one case took up two episodes to a whole season with all the juicy side drama that made me really enjoy it.

The cop guy seemed too clownly for my taste. I'd like him to be more serious and this guy looked like he was about to break into a giggle fit any moment. All and all, it's not bad but it's not going to be on my "MUST WATCH NOW" list. I might wait until this gets through it's first season before I devourer it.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    The Onion AV Club seems to like it.

Since I'm sitting at home, not able to go to work due to a blizzard, I guess I'll give it a try.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    There is very much a Veronica Mars vibe to the whole thing. Though Liv is maybe a little less traumatized than Veronica, despite being dead. Show overall seemed less noir than VM and a little more upbeat? Or at least light hearted. Daran Norris (Cliff! I miss Cliff, you guys) shows up as a local TV weatherman here, Liv has some lines that are VERY Veronica (her desire to "nail (the culprit's) ass to the wall" in particular), and sometimes Rose McIver is channeling Kristen Bell's voice, especially in the voiceovers. Oh, also the (former) fiance is very Duncan-y. By which I mean he seems kind of wooden.

Pilot is not as strong as that one, but it was still good. Detective seems like a fun character though I'm not sure I want him kept in the dark for more than like a half season at most. Only other supporting character who was developed very much was her co-worker who also seems like a likable character. The AV Club's B+ seems about right. Need to develop her roommate/family members more and work out some of the kinks. I'm not sure the moments where she's more dead and less human are a good idea, for example.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I never saw Veronica Mars,

Remedy that.

Harry Dresden on
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I'm assuming this just takes the basic premise of the comics and abandons the rest? Because the comics devolved into batshit craziness (think world-swallowing trans-dimensional deities and so on) pretty quickly, and don't really lend themselves to a procedural structure.

y59kydgzuja4.png
    No clue, first episode was just intro to zombie ness and wacky hooker hijinks.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I'm assuming this just takes the basic premise of the comics and abandons the rest? Because the comics devolved into batshit craziness (think world-swallowing trans-dimensional deities and so on) pretty quickly, and don't really lend themselves to a procedural structure.

Based on what the creators have been saying it's taking the general premise and one particular comic where she solved a murder and using that as the basis.

• useless4useless4 Registered User regular

Based on what the creators have been saying it's taking the general premise and one particular comic where she solved a murder and using that as the basis.

You never know, look at Flash! Talking gorilla coming up soon.

I liked the show, really thought it paired well with the Flash and between it and Last Man on Earth this was a surprisingly strong month for new shows so far.

• MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    I liked it a lot. VMars was what came to mind for me, too.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    @Preacher

Are you saying that I, as a Seattlite, should watch this show?

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I really love Liv's look in the show.

It's simple, striking, and iconic.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    @Preacher

Yes. Much the same way you should watch Backstrom so you can remember why Portland sucks.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    @Preacher

Yes. Much the same way you should watch Backstrom so you can remember why Portland sucks.

I blame that on the Wesen and Grimms.

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    That was a pretty strong pilot. After initially hearing about its premise, this show surprisingly has potential. Consider me fully on board for more.

Her friends and family are really awful. They're supposed to be, right? She went through a traumatic experience and they chastise her for not having her life in order?

As far as the Seattle thing: I did notice that the weather was overcast throughout the show, so it's accurate on that front.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Her friends and family are really awful. They're supposed to be, right? She went through a traumatic experience and they chastise her for not having her life in order?

Her brother is going to be the -first- one to figure it out trust me.

I'll have to make sure not to expect anything too close to Veronica Mars from this one, because perhaps the thing I loved most about VM was the father-daughter relationship. Sounds like there's nothing similar in iZombie, right?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    The lead actress is fun, and cute, but her zombie makeover made me go "oh my." She, uh, looks really good as a goth/emo/zombie.

Loved the red Swingline stapler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkTKYH6FgUs

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    @Preacher

Saw two episodes of Backstrom. It struck me as "GamerGate: The Detective Show." Both episodes featured a woman killer who outright says, "But I'm a lady and the detective is a women hater, so you should let me off the hook!"

Anyway, iZombie is a cute show. Part of me wonders if Mortician dude's days are numbers for the sake of a shocking death and a "shit just got real" episode.

No reason in particular, I just get that vibe from him. Maybe because he's so chipper and trying to give her hope, and this series is probably going to get really dark down the road.

For the comic book readers: Is there any reason she doesn't just eat animal brains?

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I absolutely hated the detective until he said "Cadney and Pasty". "Ok, you are alright, you can stay" I said out loud.

Forgive the pun, but some of the premise from the comic is groan worthy. I get it's part of the tone, so I'm willing to keep watching the show. Over all it was a good pilot. Everytime I have a discussion about the show someone says "OMG ITS RIPPING OFF CHEW" and I have to go into a spiel of "It's its own comic, which started within the same year"

steam_sig.png
    No reason in particular, I just get that vibe from him. Maybe because he's so chipper and trying to give her hope, and this series is probably going to get really dark down the road.

That's not really how Rob Thomas and Diane Ruggiero roll, FWIW

There was some pretty dark stuff in Veronica Mars (not always executed all that well), though.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    Thirith wrote: »
    There was some pretty dark stuff in Veronica Mars (not always executed all that well), though.

Dark, but not murdering Keith dark.

Yeah Cagney and Pasty was my favorite line of the pilot. Of course Babineaux would choose Tine Daley to represent himself, strong confident but also kind of sexy in her own right...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Part of me wonders if Mortician dude's days are numbers for the sake of a shocking death and a "shit just got real" episode.

I'm expecting him to turn over his research on Liv to the CDC and/or attempt to publish it in a journal at some point. He doesn't truly have her interests at heart, I suspect. He can't die before then.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    Trace wrote: »

Her brother is going to be the -first- one to figure it out trust me.

The brother I liked. He seemed to think the whole intervention/pot luck Tuesday was stupid and funny. To him, Liv is fine and their mother/her roomie are overreacting.