As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mutant [Chat] Zero

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    One of the most legitimately troubling aspects of Cities Skylines is that it is considered common practice in this world to exhume corpses from the earth and burn them to make room for more corpses.

I mean, if speaking proper simulation, you would assume some of your traffic would go to graveyards and some would go to crematoriums, and that crematoriums were not the "incinerators" that freed up space at full graveyards. And once a graveyard was full you create a new lot.

fucking dark, man.

Actually they do both.

Crematoriums do collect bodies like graveyards but also can be used to "clean out" graveyards.

I mean, speaking practically, is "cleaning out" a graveyard a thing anywhere in the world does?

Like, "oh well, sold the last lot, time to pull out the bulldozers!"

It is.

But not often.

More than likely they'll shut down the graveyard and it'll become overgrown in 100 years. Very rarely do people disturb graveyards.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    7 year old computer is basically garbage

OMG

baby he didn't mean it

*cradles mbp*

great now she's crying, good job asshole

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Hakks an SSD would def make a big difference for an older computer. You can't get fusion though thats gott abe baked into the comp

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Mutant is one of the big greats of Swedish RPG history. That and Drakar & Demoner (Dragons & Demons), but D&D was actually based on Basic Role-Playing.

Still regretting that I sold my black and green D&D box with the Elric cover.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Hakks an SSD would def make a big difference for an older computer. You can't get fusion though thats gott abe baked into the comp

NOPE!

Western Digital Black2 + the software they offer on their website gives older laptops Core Storage.

It's fantastic. Summer's 2009 MBP now has a 1.1TB Fusion Drive.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options

i was responding to how synd boosted up summer's 2009 macbook since i agree i want a 15" MBP with some power behind it, the newly announced ones look super fucking impressive but they're small and underpowered

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    One of the most legitimately troubling aspects of Cities Skylines is that it is considered common practice in this world to exhume corpses from the earth and burn them to make room for more corpses.

I mean, if speaking proper simulation, you would assume some of your traffic would go to graveyards and some would go to crematoriums, and that crematoriums were not the "incinerators" that freed up space at full graveyards. And once a graveyard was full you create a new lot.

fucking dark, man.

Actually they do both.

Crematoriums do collect bodies like graveyards but also can be used to "clean out" graveyards.

I mean, speaking practically, is "cleaning out" a graveyard a thing anywhere in the world does?

Anecdote time:

England has been inhabited for thousands of years, so naturally there are a whole lot of dead people underneath us.

Any time building work is done which involves digging, archaeologists are called in to check they aren't building on top of anything important.

My fiancée works for one such archaeological outfit, and a couple of weeks ago they find an Anglo-Saxon burial ground while investigating a site planned for a new housing project.

Rather than taking on the cost for exhuming and disposing of the bodies properly, the developers decided to just move their plans around a bit.

Nobody's allowed to tell anybody about the graveyard because people would go and treasure hunt (despite the unlikliness of anything being there because they're Christian burials).

So, somewhere in East Anglia in a couple of years, there's going to be a green area amongst a new estate that hides a whole community of early Medieval bodies, and only a handful of people will know about it.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    And for some reason people give grids such shit, but c'mon...

ztr0uy1c88ou.jpg

Grids can be real good.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Mutant is one of the big greats of Swedish RPG history. That and Drakar & Demoner (Dragons & Demons), but D&D was actually based on Basic Role-Playing.

Still regretting that I sold my black and green D&D box with the Elric cover.

Yeah, I am totally floored by this thing. So many of the things I love about all of these indie games are baked right into what is essentially a hex-crawl. The new book is gorgeous (art is reminiscent of Mignola). My only gripe is their new dice are fucking expensive and ugly. No reason to not just fish like 10 each of regular green, black, and yellow d6s out of your local gaming stores dice box instead.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

fucking dark, man.

Actually they do both.

Anecdote time:

England has been inhabited for thousands of years, so naturally there are a whole lot of dead people underneath us.

Any time building work is done which involves digging, archaeologists are called in to check they aren't building on top of anything important.

My fiancée works for one such archaeological outfit, and a couple of weeks ago they find an Anglo-Saxon burial ground while investigating a site planned for a new housing project.

Rather than taking on the cost for exhuming and disposing of the bodies properly, the developers decided to just move their plans around a bit.

Nobody's allowed to tell anybody about the graveyard because people would go and treasure hunt (despite the unlikliness of anything being there because they're Christian burials).

So, somewhere in East Anglia in a couple of years, there's going to be a green area amongst a new estate that hides a whole community of early Medieval bodies, and only a handful of people will know about it.

YOU ONLY MOVED THE HEADSTONES!!!

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    we shoould just fire all of our corpses into the sun

cosmic cremation

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

fucking dark, man.

Actually they do both.

Anecdote time:

In Québec City in colonial time, there was an epidemic (I forget of what), and bodies were disposed of in unmarked graves outside of town.

Time passed. The city grew. The unmarked grave site became a housing development. Without excavating the cemetery first. The buildings did not have basements, for obvious reasons.

To this day, owners do not dig basements under their buildings, and the rare ones that try end up digging up human bones. The buildings have a reputation for being haunted. That neighbourhood also has the highest vacancy rate in the Old Town, despite being in the upper-side and a short walk from one of the most beautiful parts of town and having an amazing view of the St-Laurent River.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Guys I'm exhausted and lightheaded this morning

I had to fast and then get up before sunrise to go get blood drawn

Got to work, ate an egg sausage biscuit and a donut

Peoole brought in food, had a bite of pulled pork and a choco chip cookie

Just utterly tired now. told my boss I mightve needed to use medical time for the appointment but i managed to get to work on time

But now I'm here and useless and i don't want to ask for medic leave since i already told her i wouldnt be needing it since the appointment didn't run late...

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    it makes me so happy that skylines is so good

i kinda want to not work today and just take a me day and build a better city

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Hakkekage wrote: »

i was responding to how synd boosted up summer's 2009 macbook since i agree i want a 15" MBP with some power behind it, the newly announced ones look super fucking impressive but they're small and underpowered

The design language of the new MacBook, which is really impressive, is going to find its way to their entire product line in the coming year or two. Just like when they launched the first unibody Macbook Pro in 15" without changing any of their other laptops.

So if Summer's machine can last for another year or two (and I have no doubt it can now that it has 8 gigs of ram and a fusion drive) she can get the machine she actually wants to last her another 5-7 years.

edit: plus, to be honest, she does 99% of her computer stuff on her phone. She even does word processing / image editing there. Batty.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    what giant inefficient, selfish crocks of shit are cemeteries anyway

white ppl man

khafrepyramid.jpg

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

ztr0uy1c88ou.jpg

Grids can be real good.

Yeah I dunno why people dislike grids.

Grids are efficient.

Obviously roundabouts work better than intersections, but that's a lot of space wasted, and they look ugly.

I have no artistic vision and function like a robot though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »

The design language of the new MacBook, which is really impressive, is going to find its way to their entire product line in the coming year or two. Just like when they launched the first unibody Macbook Pro in 15" without changing any of their other laptops.

So if Summer's machine can last for another year or two (and I have no doubt it can now that it has 8 gigs of ram and a fusion drive) she can get the machine she actually wants to last her another 5-7 years.

edit: plus, to be honest, she does 99% of her computer stuff on her phone. She even does word processing / image editing there. Batty.

yes this is what i would like to do (not her phone reliance, the life extension while i wait for what i really want). Is it possible with my pre-unibody heap of a mbp?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

fucking dark, man.

Actually they do both.

Anecdote time:

In Québec City in colonial time, there was an epidemic (I forget of what), and bodies were disposed of in unmarked graves outside of town.

Time passed. The city grew. The unmarked grave site became a housing development. Without excavating the cemetery first. The buildings did not have basements, for obvious reasons.

To this day, owners do not dig basements under their buildings, and the rare ones that try end up digging up human bones. The buildings have a reputation for being haunted. That neighbourhood also has the highest vacancy rate in the Old Town, despite being in the upper-side and a short walk from one of the most beautiful parts of town and having an amazing view of the St-Laurent River.

There is student housing in Cambridge that is built over a 17th century plague pit, and it's said that it's slowly sinking into it (students love elaborating, though).

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    By the way Cheeseman Park is the cemetery turned park in Denver.

I thought they found more bodies recently and they did.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    So much for trying to get a job I studied for. Some company needs video game QA testers and I fit the profile. Sigh. At least I'll get dolls dolls billz.

• Options
    Deebaser wrote: »

white ppl man

khafrepyramid.jpg

this is a little different

what did the egyptians do with all of the people who died building those? or any of the non-pharoahs, for that matter. Answer that questions and then think about how many people you know who are dead that have their own cemetery plot.

One of these things is not like the other.

• Options
    take a look at Chicago's roads

all the grids

• Options
    the new macbook looks like a really really nice netbook

• Options
    edited March 2015
    bowen wrote: »

ztr0uy1c88ou.jpg

Grids can be real good.

Grids are efficient.

Obviously roundabouts work better than intersections, but that's a lot of space wasted, and they look ugly.

The BEST fix for grids is to be smart about your districting.

In that pic you can see Oil Town across the water, the "Jersey" to my blossoming Manhattan.

I have a single two lane bridge there for traffic to and from that feeds into my light residential zones.

I then painted a district across the entire bottom half of my main city and called it "Old Residence" and set a policy that no heavy transport could go there.

Finally, I gave Oil Town highway access that feeds directly to my industrial district in the north, and to my cargo train depot.

So even though the shortest route for the trucks to travel to drop off and pick up their goods is through the neighborhoods, they are forbidden from doing so, so they take the highway.

There is a lot you can do to shape traffic that doesn't directly involve the roads.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    we should model all of our municipal planning after greenwich village

very easy to navigate, so intuitive

• Options
    one way streets are amazing to use in attacking congestion

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    we should model all of our municipal planning after greenwich village

very easy to navigate, so intuitive

75% of o the streets are designated for soley hipster traffic

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »

white ppl man

khafrepyramid.jpg

this is a little different

what did the egyptians do with all of the people who died building those? or any of the non-pharoahs, for that matter. Answer that questions and then think about how many people you know who are dead that have their own cemetery plot.

One of these things is not like the other.

it was joke poking fun at Shaz's casual racism.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

ztr0uy1c88ou.jpg

Grids can be real good.

Grids are efficient.

They aren't actually efficient, because you force people to stop repeatedly leading to buildups of traffic in random areas.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    City building games are stupid because i am bad at them. I am good at one thing. Killing.

• Options
    yes NY is a great example of how not to do it

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

fucking dark, man.

It's entirely "well we have this mechanic already for landfills, C+P" at least crematoriums don't produce electricity from the burning.

I think I am going to make a landmap of my local area this weekend and make some of the landmarks for it in game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tyrannus wrote: »
    yes NY is a great example of how not to do it

1v1 me mid

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    dang defective robot city planners

need a firmware update

geth knows what I'm talking bout

• Options

fucking dark, man.

It's entirely "well we have this mechanic already for landfills, C+P" at least crematoriums don't produce electricity from the burning.

I think I am going to make a landmap of my local area this weekend and make some of the landmarks for it in game.

I'm sure someone has mad a mod

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    An SSD and a RAM upgrade can breathe life into any PC that isn't used for gaming or other very high intensity uses.

The main problem with old PCs is that you can't do much about the processor, but Apple is pretty high end with that stuff so for normal use you shouldn't run into issues.

And of course on a laptop you can't touch the GPU either, and laptop batteries degrade over time.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    My phone says it is 62 degrees outside. This is clearly a lie, I am really fucking cold!

• Options
    the new macbook looks like a really really nice netbook

They were kind of unapologetic in terms of where they see laptops going, and I don't think I disagree, though this machine has "first version" written all over it.

Dead silent, fanless, retina display, USB-C, haptic pressure sensitive trackpad, non-scissor keys, 9-10 hours battery life... like, everything here is badass.

But the processors are not QUITE there yet, and they will likely end up putting a second USB-C port on there somewhere (or design a wall charger that has an extra USB-C passthrough port when you plug it in).

This laptop makes me very excited about what they release next year.

SW-4158-3990-6116
This discussion has been closed.