As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do you pick a credit card?

see317see317 Registered User regular
I'll try to keep a moderately long story short here. I'm 35, and have never had a credit card. My credit is in good standing, I've got a mortgage and student loans. I've used debit cards tied to my checking account for any purchases too large for cash but never had an actual credit card.
Late December, my furnace died and had to be replaced. I had the funds to pay for it in my savings account, but it took a pretty fat chunk to replace the unit (it's an AC/Furnace in one unit so both had to be replaced at the same time, ouch). Fortunately, I had enough saved that if I lost my job I'd be good for 7-8 months on those savings, after the furnace replacement I'm down to a month. Frankly, it's pretty frightening to see a safety net evaporate overnight like that. I think that If I had had a credit card, I could have spread that cost out over a few months, and kept most of my savings at the cost of whatever interest the card required. It would have been more expensive, but there's a certain peace of mind that comes from having a safety net for emergencies (like replacing a furnace when it's -4 outside).

So, I'm looking at getting a credit card and it's rather daunting trying to figure it out as a first timer. So, H/A, any help or advice would be hugely appreciated. What cards do you use? Who do you avoid like the plague? What's a good / bad / terrible interest rate? Are there any card perks that I should be looking for or avoiding?

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    It's not hard. get a Visa card from your bank. usually no fees. American Express cards make you pay them off every month usually. Your biggest problem is that while you may have a theoretical good credit score, you have NO credit history. My parents always suggested to their children that they apply for and get a credit card as young as possible and to use it occasionally, even if you had the cash to pay it off, you are establishing a history of taking and paying off debt.

Every few years I might make a large 1-2k purchase on my card, then pay it off 100-200 bucks a month until its empty again. I don't like having any kind of massive debt, so its more for convience and situations like your furnace.

Every month or so your bank will send you some checks you can use that usually will give you like a 6 month interest free on that purchase on your card, so you probably want to hang onto the most recent set of these checks and shred the rest. When a large expense happens, use the check to same money on interest.

Just dont let yourself go crazy. even if you get a large maximum available amount on your card, it never will mean you should use it. I've even asked the bank to reduced the max amount on my cards once or twice just in case of theft or something.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If he's got a mortgage and student loan he's got credit history without the cards.

But yeah that's how I'd go about it. Go to the bank, get a card through them. Or shop around online with places like Capital One or BoA. I've had the best luck with capital one though.

Another option might be a HELOC if you've got some equity in your house. They tend to be a lot lower interest than credit cards (2-8% vs 15-25+%). The only issue is they're secured to your home so if you don't pay it, they can put a lien and it gets into nasty stuff.

It's another option and one of the reasons that owning a home is better than renting because of those types of things.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I put everything on my credit cards and pay them off every week. That way I get all the points (free money) with no interest (the bad thing) and as an added bonus I never have to carry much cash and if I get a fraudulent charge it isn't connected to my bank account like a debit card.

The question is what percs to get and what interest rate if you intend on carrying a debt balance. My family has one with our bank that has a really low interest rate, and one moderately decent one through amazon to pay for our books throughout the year. The amazon one never carries a balance as the only purpose is gas, groceries, and restaurants (which over time typically get us enough points to buy 2-3 kindle books a month). The one through our bank is for everything else and we use the cash back to pay the balance (essentially only paying about 92-98% of the money we spend through it depending on the type of purchase).

Avoid ones offered through retailers (like target), the rates and benefits are crap.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    low interest rate, no annual fee

for beginners. some fee cards are pretty appealing but you have to really ring the use out of them to make it pay.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Alternatively you might not need to look for low interest rate cards if you plan on paying them off every month. A better choice might be to find a card that gives points or cash rewards. These usually have higher interest rates, but if you pay them off every month your interest will be zero anyway.

Plus if you have to pay interest occasionally, the rewards program will help take the sting of the interest off a little so long as you make sure you pay them off in a month or two. If you really need money and it seems like it will take longer than three months to pay off, you're better off discussing secured loans with your bank.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Just a note, if you're not into banks many credit unions offer credit cards as well. That's where I have mine from, and while I don't get special points or perks the CU has been generally good to me and doesn't seem to be trying to cheat or trick me out of money (for instance, they apply deposits before applying withdrawals, whereas most banks will do the opposite to try to get overdraft fees) so it gave me a bit more confidence starting out that I wasn't accidentally going to end up with an expensive drag on my finances.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I didn't see anyone say that your main driver: putting a large expense on credit and not immediately paying it off, is not a good idea.

The interest rates on a credit card would make doing what you describe a bad approach.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I didn't see anyone say that your main driver: putting a large expense on credit and not immediately paying it off, is not a good idea.

The interest rates on a credit card would make doing what you describe a bad approach.

Yes, exactly. If you were in the same situation again with the credit card I would still recommend paying for it in cash out of your savings. Then you still have the credit card for backup and you're not paying extra for it unnecessarily.

Plan on paying off your card in full every month. You really don't want to carry a balance on your credit card. The rates are killer.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Eh...that depends. if your on a somewhat fixed income and your budget is X for 'extra' expenses (which would include a credit card payment), then it probably also may mean the amount your saving is relatively small. It takes quite a while to save up say 7-8 k in cash in the bank, meanwhile if you put it on a CC, you still have that 7-8k and the money your budgeting as long as your paying more then the interest and hopefully more then the minimum payments, your still going to come out ahead if your goal is not to touch your savings.

You could always pay off the entire card if you needed to, but as long as you are still making that income, stretching it out is making it easier to save money.

A good rule would be never to let your card get over the amount that you could pay off completely with the money you have in the bank at any given time. (probably better to say half that amount).

You dont want your credit card as your backup, you want your bank account as the backup. If you suddenly find yourself unemployed, you want to draw from your bank account, not continue to draw from a credit card and increasing your debt massively through interest rates. at least with a bank account sitting stagnant you are usually earning a tiny amount of interest.

azith28 on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    There's a whole internet subculture, slightly lamer than the people who spend dozens of man-hours trying to game airline rewards points, devoted to gaming credit cards rewards systems. Usually it's a function of churning cards every six months or so to get sign-up rewards and whoever has the best points offerings at the time. I'd avoid that practice, but they are good resources for picking out the best card for rewards purposes (which may not be the best card in terms of interest rates or annual fees).

I'd look at:
    1) http://thepointsguy.com/credit-cards/
    2) http://www.nerdwallet.com/the-best-credit-cards

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    It can be as simple as just opening up a basic card through your bank with mediocre interest rates and probably a grace period of zero interest.

Or it can be a game, like the post above.

I'm not that intense, but I definitely do game the system when it comes to my rewards.

spoilered for long:
    I have two travel miles cards right now. One has a silly high interest rate, but pays twice the miles for purchases at restaurants. I don't eat out often, but I use it for that purpose almost exclusively. It also granted me 40,000 bonus miles for spending 4,000 dollars within 3 months. That's four hundred free dollars towards travel, for using my card for things I buy already.

I had to game that a bit by putting some large purchases (lasik, wife needed a work laptop, etc) on it all at once, having my father (with more liquid money than I had available) pay it off, and then me paying him to avoid the 18% interest, but it was worth the hassle for those miles.

This card also let's me transfer all of my miles with no restrictions to my United Travel Rewards account, and charged 95 dollars a year in fees. So to avoid that, I transferred all of my accrued miles to my United account, ended the card, and just kept the bonus miles.

I have another card that gets me a flat 1.5 miles for every purchase, with no interest for 12 months and no annual fee. I put literally everything else on this; internet, netflix, xboxlive, my steam account, amazon, groceries, gas, everything I could. This one also gives me a flat 10% bonus miles annually for having my mortgage through their bank, and a 20% discount in travel when going through their reward site.

I pay all of those off every month before my interest hits, to avoid the high interest payments.

So it just depends on how far you're willing to play.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    kaliyama wrote: »
    There's a whole internet subculture, slightly lamer than the people who spend dozens of man-hours trying to game airline rewards points, devoted to gaming credit cards rewards systems. Usually it's a function of churning cards every six months or so to get sign-up rewards and whoever has the best points offerings at the time. I'd avoid that practice, but they are good resources for picking out the best card for rewards purposes (which may not be the best card in terms of interest rates or annual fees).

I'd look at:
    1) http://thepointsguy.com/credit-cards/
    2) http://www.nerdwallet.com/the-best-credit-cards

Yeah, I mean... I pay off my balance every month. With my bank card I had a 0.5% reward rate. I started looking at rewards cards and their sign-up bonuses and I realized I was leaving money on the floor.

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    If you have a Costco, BJs, Sam's club or something similar, where you shop regularly, you might want to look into getting one with them. Especially if they have gas pumps. They usually give a few percent back on purchases. Then if you do almost all of you food&gas purchases with them it will add up. Their gas prices are usually a bit lower too.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Man, in my day (15ish years ago) when I was looking for my first credit card, the advice was to hold out for "No Annual Fee, Fixed APR" and just pick the lowest APR card. Fixed APR isn't even an option anymore.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I think that If I had had a credit card, I could have spread that cost out over a few months, and kept most of my savings at the cost of whatever interest the card required.
    I'm not following your math. You're still out the exact same amount of money, plus the interest it took for paying off. Pay $2,000 up front, or $2,400 over your six months, I'd rather go for the optioin that saves me money.

To have a card ready for emergencies, find one with the best bonuses, and no fees. Always pay off the full balance every month, and the interst rate is meanginless. That's what I do. I get 1-3% cash back on everything I use my card for, so I use it for all the expenses I have to pay anyway, and basically get a little free money every month.

• Options
    The math isnt that hard. Lets assume a monthly income (net) of 2800 bucks after benefits.
    rent + food + cable/internet/phone/gas/electric and your talking 1600-1800 easy.
    plus the other bills like car insurance, fees, regular things you spend money on for entertainment. and budget say 200 bucks a month of that for a CC payment.
    So at the end of the month, your lucky if your bank account 'average' amount ends up with an uptick of a few hundred bucks.

Lets also say that at this given time in your life youve accumulated 5k in the bank.
    Large unexpected bill comes along of 4k.
    Yes, you could pay it off but you would end up with 1k in the bank. a very small amount of savings.
    or you could put it on your CC, and pay 200 a month, which stays consistant..yes your paying more over time, but you are not paying more now

Lets assume large unexpected expense number 2 of 2k shows up right after the first.
    You dont have the savings to pay it off, and even if you completely empty your bank account to pay off half of it, your still using credit of some kind and now you have no buffer at all and you are reduced to eating raman noodles.

Guy who puts the second expense on the CC, being responsible would increase his monthy payments to maybe 300 or 400 a month, making it tighter for him to spend money on other entertainment, but hes still got his bank account to fall back on in case he loses his job or something.

People as a whole find it easier to pay a set payment each month and fit that into a budget then to take a sudden huge hit to the wallet. The reason CC's are so dangerous and successful is because people dont think about the overall amount all they think about is the monthly bill, which is much smaller. The key is understanding your limits and controlling your spending.

• Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    azith28 wrote: »
    The math isnt that hard. Lets assume a monthly income (net) of 2800 bucks after benefits.
    rent + food + cable/internet/phone/gas/electric and your talking 1600-1800 easy.
    plus the other bills like car insurance, fees, regular things you spend money on for entertainment. and budget say 200 bucks a month of that for a CC payment.
    So at the end of the month, your lucky if your bank account 'average' amount ends up with an uptick of a few hundred bucks.

Lets also say that at this given time in your life youve accumulated 5k in the bank.
    Yes, you could pay it off but you would end up with 1k in the bank. a very small amount of savings.
    or you could put it on your CC, and pay 200 a month, which stays consistant..yes your paying more over time, but you are not paying more now

Lets assume large unexpected expense number 2 of 2k shows up right after the first.
    You dont have the savings to pay it off, and even if you completely empty your bank account to pay off half of it, your still using credit of some kind and now you have no buffer at all and you are reduced to eating raman noodles.

Guy who puts the second expense on the CC, being responsible would increase his monthy payments to maybe 300 or 400 a month, making it tighter for him to spend money on other entertainment, but hes still got his bank account to fall back on in case he loses his job or something.

People as a whole find it easier to pay a set payment each month and fit that into a budget then to take a sudden huge hit to the wallet. The reason CC's are so dangerous and successful is because people dont think about the overall amount all they think about is the monthly bill, which is much smaller. The key is understanding your limits and controlling your spending.

The math behind what you are saying simply doesn't add up. Credit cards DO NOT manufacture more money.
    You are only looking at cash on hand. Your overall cash+available credit does not change. The only difference is that you are now not paying interest. If you then have that second expense down the road where you literally do not have cash to cover it, you put THAT on the credit card as a last resort. It's still not ideal, but you are now paying interest on half as much money for less time.
    You dont want your credit card as your backup, you want your bank account as the backup. If you suddenly find yourself unemployed, you want to draw from your bank account, not continue to draw from a credit card and increasing your debt massively through interest rates. at least with a bank account sitting stagnant you are usually earning a tiny amount of interest.
    That is exactly what you are doing. Now instead of paying interest only when absolutely necessary, you are accruing interest ALL THE TIME. I don't mean to sound obtuse, but how do you plan to lessen the amount of interest you accrue by accruing extra unnecessary interest? On a side not, interest accrued from a bank account (and most other options really) is insignificant compared to the interest you are paying on credit card debt.

TL;DR
    You cannot save money by spending more money. The money is still spent no matter if it's cash that you don't have or a credit card balance. The only difference is the credit card balance costs more in the long term.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I disagree almost 100%. (edit: with azith28's post, two posts above)

Paying for a large bill by putting it on your CC and making small payments amounts to taking out a loan for the amount at 15-30%.

Paying for a large bill out of savings amounts to taking out a "loan" for the amount at ~0.5% (or whatever your savings interest rate is). I call it a "loan" because you will refill your savings over time, and the cost you incur by going this route is the interest rate on the money taken out until it's replenished.

It is hard to conceive of situations where having 4k in credit card debt and 6k in the bank is preferable to no debt and 2k in the bank. The only thing is that you must continue to maintain a minimum amount of savings to make minimum payments on the card in case you need to use it for additional unexpected expenses before you've replenished your savings.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Pay your credit card off every month.

The only reason you wouldn't would be because of an emergency, but you should build up an emergency fund for emergencies.

Not paying off a credit card every month is spending money for no reason. Do not do this.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

This is objectively bad advice.

To @see317:

Check out the sites that kaliyama posted, pick a card that has no annual fee and gives you rewards that you know you will use.

Your idea about using credit cards to spread out the pain is actually not a good idea. If you had the credit cards then, you should still do exactly what you just did - use your emergency fund to pay up front, and then rebuild it back up slowly over time. The whole point of having an emergency fund is so you have the cash on hand to not be forced into an onerous loan rate.

The best way to use credit cards is to put expenses on them that you are going to pay off every month, and then rack up the rewards. Even if all you do is get 1% cash back, that's a 1% return on all of your expenses, which is frankly better than the return you would currently get in a savings account. Other than that, credit cards exist in the case of dire emergencies where you no longer have savings and you need to purchase something immediately. Even in that case, the expectation should be that you will get the money before the bill comes due (e.g., a paycheck) to pay it back either in part or in full.

Avoid getting on the "monthly payment" train. It is a train that leads straight into a death spiral of indentured servitude. Yes, you can get away with it for a few months with a relatively low balance, but the longer it goes on the worse it gets, and it can get worse very, very quickly.

Also, you likely could have paid for the furnace on an installment plan with little-to-no interest. Did you ask if that was an option? I'd be very surprised if they aren't used to that kind of thing.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Also, you likely could have paid for the furnace on an installment plan with little-to-no interest. Did you ask if that was an option? I'd be very surprised if they aren't used to that kind of thing.

For most major homeowner expenses (furnace, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, roof, etc) your service provider will likely be able to offer you an installment plan which will give you much much better rates than a CC. Most people dont have 5-10K lying around to spend immediately and they get that. It can give you breathing room in case you're not sure you want to empty your cash reserves. I just had to eat about $9K in plumbing expenses and they offered 6% up to 6 years; I'm sure they would've done 0% 12 months. If you are going to pay cash anyways you should be able to knock them down a fair bit on pricing. I think I got about 15% off by offering a cash deal. They aren't going to offer you that though, you have to play the game. If you're looking for a card, in addition to the sites kaliyama provided, check out creditcards.com; you can search for cards based on types of rewards (miles, cash back, points for hotel stays, low interest rates).

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Siska wrote: »
    If you have a Costco, BJs, Sam's club or something similar, where you shop regularly, you might want to look into getting one with them. Especially if they have gas pumps. They usually give a few percent back on purchases. Then if you do almost all of you food&gas purchases with them it will add up. Their gas prices are usually a bit lower too.

I cannot recommend the Costco AmEx enough:

* No fees (technically, it's rolled into your membership.)
    * Accrues cash back in a certificate on purchases (2% on gas/travel/restaurants, 1% on everything else) While the certificate is only good at Costco, it can be cashed in for actual currency.
    * Because the card also serves as your Costco membership card, this adds an additional layer of security (your photo on the back).
    * Available with chip for more security.

I carry a Costco AmEx and a debit card as my credit cards, and I ALWAYS pay it off in full.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

* Accrues cash back in a certificate on purchases (2% on gas/travel/restaurants, 1% on everything else) While the certificate is only good at Costco, it can be cashed in for actual currency.
    * Because the card also serves as your Costco membership card, this adds an additional layer of security (your photo on the back).

I carry a Costco AmEx and a debit card as my credit cards, and I ALWAYS pay it off in full.

Slight hijack: I was thinking of starting a Costco membership and was looking at the card, but since they announced that their relationship with AmEx will be ending, is still worth getting?

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

Slight hijack: I was thinking of starting a Costco membership and was looking at the card, but since they announced that their relationship with AmEx will be ending, is still worth getting?

Yes - they will give you at least 6 months (if not a year) to obtain any rewards you have gotten when the agreement expires. Also, there's a good chance that either Costco or AmEx (or both) will give you a special deal on any new cards in order to keep you as a customer.

• Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    1) Do not listen to Azith's advice, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

2) Find a reasonable point reward card (Chase Freedom/Sapphire) and pay it off each month. Pay the points into cash and charge it back to the card.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

Yes - they will give you at least 6 months (if not a year) to obtain any rewards you have gotten when the agreement expires. Also, there's a good chance that either Costco or AmEx (or both) will give you a special deal on any new cards in order to keep you as a customer.

Yeah, I'm kind of excited to see what they come up with for the new CapOne Costco Visa next year. Should be interesting.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I recommend getting a cashback card and paying the balance in full every month. Most cashback cards will have tiers (most rewards cards do as well), where if you pay the company more money you'll get more cashback. Seriously evaluate whether or not the higher tiers would pay for themselves or not. For example, say that a cashback card has an up to 1% tier for $0, an up to 2% tier for $40, and an up to 4% tier for $100 a year. Check what's covered under each tier - chances are, the 4% is only 4% on gas and groceries, and 2% on some other qualifying purchases, and 1% on everything else. Or something to that effect. If you're spending $400 per month on gas and groceries, then a $100 card is probably your best option, the $0 card is second, and the $40 card is third (assuming my head math is right). Different household budgets will make different cards better.

I recommend cashback over rewards cards; it's difficult to make rewards cards as worthwhile as cashback cards. If you're thinking of getting a low interest card then you don't know enough about credit cards to have a credit card, or you're not in a financial position where you can afford a credit card.

If it's within your financial means, and your financial institutions allow it, a line of credit is a better emergency fallback than a credit card, but having a cash reserve should be the primary means of emergency fallback for most people. Keeping a large cash reserve has it's own problems - you're not earning money on it, or you're earning very little. Around 1% is often the best that you'll get without having at least several thousand dollars in the account at a time. The amount of emergency cash to set aside is going to vary from person to person and household to household, it's going to be affected by availability of credit, and likelihood of emergencies. A person who can put $2,000 on a line of credit with a 6.5% annual interest rate and who'll have it paid down within six weeks based solely on their normal paycheck is probably going to be less worried about having cash on hand than someone who is just above being paycheck to paycheck - but that person with a line of credit probably still has (or should have) a cash reserve. Basically, everyone should have cash reserves, but how exactly how much is going to vary on personal situation and availability of cheap credit.

Also, balance protection insurance is not your friend.

Basically,
    • Get a cashback card, and determine what kind of cashback card will actually maximize your probable return.
    • PAY OFF YOUR CREDIT CARD IN FULL BEFORE YOU PAY INTEREST. NEVER, NEVER JUST PAY THE MINIMUM AMOUNT..
    • Ideally, you should only be making purchases on your card that you know you'll be able to promptly pay off.
    • Don't use your credit card as your first line in emergencies - build a cash reserve.
    • If you're in a position where you think that you might need credit in emergencies, if possible, get a line of credit (with no fees and an interest rate as close to prime as possible) rather than a credit card.
    • Don't be in a position where you're carrying a balance on a credit product. But if you are in that position, you should not be paying the minimum amount, you should be aggressively paying down the principle as quickly as possible.
    • Taking on short term debt without a firm plan for how that debt will be promptly paid down is probably the biggest financial mistake a person can make. Small debts build up or grow. Don't let them. Pay them down. Quickly. Or even better, don't incur them in the first place.
    • I do not recommend balance protection insurance.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    Your credit seems good, so I can recommend some good specific cards you could take a look at:

Discover it. It has bonuses you'd expect from an annual fee like waiving your first late fee and showing your credit score. A 5% rotating cash back and a 1% base. No annual fee. Not bad.

AmEx Everyday. It's an AmEx so if it's your only card you'll run into problems. But it has 2% off on grocery stores, 1% off otherwise and an extra bit of cash back if you use it 20 times a billing cycle. Which most people do automatically. I used to, for example, until I got:

Citi Doublecash. 1% off when you buy. another 1% off when you pay your purchase off. It's just about as good as a card with no annual fee can be as far as pure cashback. A mastercard means it'll be accepted widely. As you can tell I prioritize cash back over other things, but I hope my suggestions at least gave you a starting point.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »
    For most major homeowner expenses (furnace, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, roof, etc) your service provider will likely be able to offer you an installment plan which will give you much much better rates than a CC. [...] I just had to eat about $9K in plumbing expenses and they offered 6% up to 6 years; I'm sure they would've done 0% 12 months.
    I have to quote Inquisitor77 and Djeet for truth. Once you get to $1000+ expenses, companies will offer financing options, at much better rates than credit cards. Heck, most banks will give you a loan for important home improvement projects like furnace replacement.

In addition, if you knew your furnace was nearing its last legs, your local utility company probably had a loan program you could've applied for. In my state of Massachusetts, MassSave.com, a coalition of local utility companies, offers $25k at 0% financing for 7 years to replace a furnace.

iTNdmYl.png