Options

You want to pay me that much to do this [Job]?

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Ugh, taking off my second sick day this week. I do think I need it, but I was really planning to use this time off for a long weekend next month.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    It is very cloudy here so it was no dramatic like the one I saw when I was ten years old, that was on a very sunny day - but I photographed it and it was cool!

The clouds briefly parted at the moment it hit the maximum coverage, so we had a great view in the east wing of the office for about 5 seconds.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    It is very cloudy here so it was no dramatic like the one I saw when I was ten years old, that was on a very sunny day - but I photographed it and it was cool!

The clouds briefly parted at the moment it hit the maximum coverage, so we had a great view in the east wing of the office for about 5 seconds.

That was lucky!

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote: »
    The announcement trailer for this stuff I've been working on was on the front page of IGN today. A few of my animations were used in it. Thousands of angry nerds saw my work today.

Feeling pretty good about it!

Would you say the nerds were.........nuts?

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    London skies heard there would be an eclipse during work hours so it said "fuck that, there's business to be done" and clouded over all morning.

I hate London sometimes.

• Options
    Bad-Beat I thought you'd seen an eclipse before?
    qjigk4z9qva4.jpg

I thought it was your favourite?

• Options
    God, Liiya I thought we were friends. You know Breaking Dawn Part 2 is my favouritest. :(

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Liiya, I laughed at that a lot harder than I should have.

• Options
    aww shit, I am the worst friend :(

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I was going to gripe at length about our production coordinator making my department's job today virtually impossible to run properly due to being either unable to do math, or unable to plan more than eight hours ahead of time, but I'm glad enough to have the weekend off that I don't even care anymore.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    An aside - breaking dawn pt 2 was legitimately great.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

Is that the one where everyone are X-Men?

• Options

Sorry I snapped. I was a total Jacob.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Gilbert0 wrote: »
    Advice time: Anyone a technical writer/editor?

My wife is looking to get back into the job market after being a stay at home mom for 2 years. She's gotten her Masters and reached out to some old Professors to see if there was any work opportunities out there. One has referred her to one of the PhD students who was looking for an editor / proof reader for his thesis. She's done this work before but as a part of her job (and just normal hourly rate).

The PhD student is willing to pay some and asked my wife's rates but she doesn't have any. Should she charge $/hour? $/page? a flat rate for the whole thing? And what would be a reasonable total?

The technical writer contractors I've seen charge by the hour. Rate depends on where you live etc, but like someone else said... I kinda doubt a PhD student can pay market rate.

The nice thing about tech writing is that there are lots of opportunities for remote work, maybe look into that as well?

• Options
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

Sorry I snapped. I was a total Jacob.

Thats so you!

• Options
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »

Is that the one where everyone are X-Men?

Yes, also the one where they fed Dakota Fanning head first to a wolf.
    And where a dude punched the ground so hard lava came out.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I just found out that there's a distinct possibility of my restaraunt shutting down. Blah. I've not finished my degree yet, they could at least wait till then!

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    A better photographer than me at work took this neat picture this morning, very poetic considering the state of the industry:

The Eclipse of the Oil Derrick
    2i0f9ya.jpg

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I always love it when someone's attempt to prove I'm stupid backfires.

One of the other developers checked in a change last night that broke every single script in our morning startup routine. I was not going to spend my time fixing his mistake and just reverted all his changes so we could get the system up and running.

The developer comes in and I tell him I reverted his changes and why. He sends a pissy email off to my boss and the partner about how I just rolled back his changes without trying to fix the problem.

The senior partner sends back a one sentence response.

"Maybe you shouldn't check in code changes that don't work."

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    Guys what is the proper response to adding your boss on facebook?

One boss tried but I don't like him so I refused.
    Another boss I like did, so I added her.
    This other boss is intimidating and sarcastic but I think he knows I'm a bit afraid of him.

I thought the answer was NEVER EVER ADD THEM but since this is the 3rd time, and my other coworkers already have added plenty of their bosses to facebook I am not so sure anymore.

I'm not so stupid to call in sick and then post pictures of myself going to the park.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular

My wife is looking to get back into the job market after being a stay at home mom for 2 years. She's gotten her Masters and reached out to some old Professors to see if there was any work opportunities out there. One has referred her to one of the PhD students who was looking for an editor / proof reader for his thesis. She's done this work before but as a part of her job (and just normal hourly rate).

The PhD student is willing to pay some and asked my wife's rates but she doesn't have any. Should she charge $/hour? $/page? a flat rate for the whole thing? And what would be a reasonable total?

The technical writer contractors I've seen charge by the hour. Rate depends on where you live etc, but like someone else said... I kinda doubt a PhD student can pay market rate.

The nice thing about tech writing is that there are lots of opportunities for remote work, maybe look into that as well?

Well that's the thing, both my wife and I agree, she doesn't want to quote herself out of a job but really ANY money is good money and experience. She's just not sure what that rate is.

I'd say lets make it a flat rate ($100?) for the whole thing but they even @mully was charging $20/resume? $50/resume? That's 2-4 pages with a cover letter. This is a PHD THESIS. It's 120 pages. For a $100 that's basically a miserable rate. But then if it's more (say $500-1000), I think she prices herself out of a job.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    nuka wrote: »

This other boss is intimidating and sarcastic but I think he knows I'm a bit afraid of him.

I thought the answer was NEVER EVER ADD THEM but since this is the 3rd time, and my other coworkers already have added plenty of their bosses to facebook I am not so sure anymore.

I'm not so stupid to call in sick and then post pictures of myself going to the park.

The answer is still 'NEVER EVER ADD THEM'

The people who did are silly

If you like someone, add them when they're not your boss anymore

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Never would I add a boss to facebook.

I would have to think long and hard to add coworkers.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »

This is why I will never be Steam friends with a coworker.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Create a separate group now ('work') so that they don't see anything you post ever.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Granted I almost never ever post anything on Facebook, but for the coworkers I have added I adjusted the 'who can see what I post' settings so they cant see anything I post.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

Pretty much the only "safe" time to add your boss on facebook is if you're already friends outside of work, so they' might not be getting a whole bunch of dirt they wouldn't have had access to.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I avoided adding people at my last job when I found out they were using Facebook to snoop around and see if people were actually sick when they called in that day.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Not Even Once

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular

This is what Linkedin is for. Keeps you in touch and contacts professionally without having to see your home life.

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    noted!

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    One of the rights of passage here is that when people are fired or quit they and I can become FB friends (if I like them, obviously).

I am FB friends with only one person that I actively work with and that's because she and I were friends from high school and then I got her a job here.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Got to listen to the department secretary ask the department director if he wanted Chinese food for lunch in the most stereotypical, racist mock-Chinese accent possible.

The secretary is the only person in my department that I know has a Facebook. We are not friends.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    There are two big reasons I don't have Facebook

One is because keeping work and private life separate is important!

(The other is an enormous extended family)

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

Some departments have funds that phd students can tap to help with editing and writing. My mother does this for a job, and gets a lot of work through academic departments, especially ESL students. It's worth advertising to departments directly, if they have this kind of scheme in place, because then they will recommend to to the students.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Right now

I am posting from my boat

On day two of sea trials

As we approach the Columbia River from Portland

This may be the coolest thing I have ever done

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

Well that's the thing, both my wife and I agree, she doesn't want to quote herself out of a job but really ANY money is good money and experience. She's just not sure what that rate is.

I'd say lets make it a flat rate ($100?) for the whole thing but they even @mully was charging $20/resume? $50/resume? That's 2-4 pages with a cover letter. This is a PHD THESIS. It's 120 pages. For a $100 that's basically a miserable rate. But then if it's more (say $500-1000), I think she prices herself out of a job.

100 bucks? No way. Charge per page or per hour (per hour is better, it doesn't screw you over if the person is inept at writing). If she's done it before then use those rates I guess, I don't know what the market will bear in the US. But don't worry about pricing yourself out of a job. There are department funds, university funds, and students with deep pockets.

• Options
    NSFW

https://youtu.be/avaSdC0QOUM
    Usagi wrote: »
    Right now

I am posting from my boat

On day two of sea trials

As we approach the Columbia River from Portland

This may be the coolest thing I have ever done

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    There are two big reasons I don't have Facebook

One is because keeping work and private life separate is important!

(The other is an enormous extended family)

The big reason I don't use Facebook is because I consider it a waste of my time to update social media on the day-to-day minutiae of my life.

Madican on
This discussion has been closed.