As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the old [STEAM] thread. Please buy the new thread mod for $4.99.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Lest we forget the age check security measure Origin did when EA worked to it . :redface:

For those that are newer, Isy was locked out of his origin account because one of the multitude of "ea" accounts he used he decided that he was born Jan 1st of some random year. When Origin became a service, he was unable to provide the "date of birth security question" because it picked one of the random ass origin accounts he used as the main one.

This is the part where we all point and laugh at Isy for getting super pissed for about 48 hours.

(Lets not mention the Defiance account fiasco)

Okay the Defiance thing was Not my fault. And I got it fixed so fuck yooooooou

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Iolo wrote: »
    Isorn wrote: »
    I am all for banning people who are massive dicks on official servers. It is very much a subjective thing though. Banning for cheats is easy since you can be pretty objective about it. Not so much when it comes to how much of a dick someone is. Would you trust EA Games if they had something in the EULA like that?

But I do trust Tripwire to be at least reasonable with the banning.

I do not like the idea of revoking CD keys for a couple reasons though. I feel like banning people from official servers is enough. And more importantly it somehow makes me feel like I don't really own these digital games I buy. I am not going to be a dick to people. I am not at risk for a ban. But it still feels like I don't really quite own these digital games I buy if they start revoking games like that.

We don't own our games on Steam full stop.

While I share the discomfort at revoking CD keys and wish it was true that when you bought a game it was yours to do with as you pleased, those days are largely gone. You can go to GoG if you want to own your games outright. Owning games (and the licensed content they contain) through the AAA digital delivery services is as dead as the Waldenbooks I used to ride my bike to to see if there were any new releases from Infocom, Interplay or Origin Systems Inc. Cloth map a bonus.

The current situation is a bit unclear in that regard I feel. Digital ownership as a whole is a bit unclear though really. (which is why I also don't like the idea of revoking CD keys) It is something the courts will have to figure out someday soon. Knowing EU courts they probably would be inclined to side with consumers. But who knows.

Isorn on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited April 2015

I'm not sure if this idea has ever gone to court, but it will be annihilated if it does. Publishers try to tell you that you don't own a game, you just license a game, but there are so many legal hurdles facing that proposal (Steam clearly tells you you are purchasing a game, not licensing it, the games badge on your profile says games owned, not licensed, not to mention minors aren't legally capable of entering contractual agreements [which is what a license is] and Steam's EULA has no language regarding a minimum age), not to mention the various EU laws that override EULAs.

The whole "You don't own your games, you just license them" thing is a charade we all sorta dance around because so far there hasn't really been a reason to smack game developers and publishers with a rolled up newspaper and sternly tell them no.

Like I said before, threatening to "tell your mom!" in an EULA is kinda shooting yourself in the foot if you are honestly trying to push it as a legal agreement between licenser and licensee. The concept of the EULA is a joke, but it's still around because it takes more effort to have it all shut down than it does to click "agree" while rolling our eyes or making the jerk off motion in the air with our hand.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    @Pixelated Pixie decided to ease the suffering on my Origin woes and gifted me Blue Estate! Thanks Pixie, now I never need to play on the PS4!

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    The system requirements for Batman: Arkham Knight are out, and my PC just barely does not make it. I am sad. The Arkham series (Asylum and City in particular) has been my favorite series in recent years. I'm not really surprised by this development, of course. My PC is about 5 years old at this point, aside from a video card & SSD upgrade a few years ago.

I'll probably have to do a complete overhaul as more modern games get steeper requirements, but it'll have to wait around a year.

At least I can pay for my WoW subscription with in-game gold now!

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I'll probably have to do a complete overhaul as more modern games get steeper requirements, but it'll have to wait around a year.
    Behind-the-curve-gaming brofist.

sig.gif
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Oooh. I've got most for the ultra there. Except maybe a slightly slow processor. I will keep an eye on the batman.

I should probably beat origins first even though it's not great.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

I'm not sure if this idea has ever gone to court, but it will be annihilated if it does. Publishers try to tell you that you don't own a game, you just license a game, but there are so many legal hurdles facing that proposal (Steam clearly tells you you are purchasing a game, not licensing it, the games badge on your profile says games owned, not licensed, not to mention minors aren't legally capable of entering contractual agreements [which is what a license is] and Steam's EULA has no language regarding a minimum age), not to mention the various EU laws that override EULAs.

The whole "You don't own your games, you just license them" thing is a charade we all sorta dance around because so far there hasn't really been a reason to smack game developers and publishers with a rolled up newspaper and sternly tell them no.

Like I said before, threatening to "tell your mom!" in an EULA is kinda shooting yourself in the foot if you are honestly trying to push it as a legal agreement between licenser and licensee. The concept of the EULA is a joke, but it's still around because it takes more effort to have it all shut down than it does to click "agree" while rolling our eyes or making the jerk off motion in the air with our hand.

Minors can't enter into a legal agreement? Tell that to every seventeen year old who has ever signed a master promissory note for a Direct Loan and then tried not to pay.

As for what Steam tells you about it, it's pretty clear:

pD1At7E.jpg

Your account doesn't have a list of games owned. It's got a list of your licenses and subscriptions.

I don't know how the EU or other non-US courts would handle it. But US courts are rocking a pretty pro-corporation stance these days on a lot of issues. I don't think there's any reason to think they would side with consumers against the explicit terms of the purchase agreement.

We have made a decision to trust Valve and Steam as a good actor and not screw us over. Thinking we own our games directly counter to the terms of the sale, though, that's the charade.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I figure if you're concerned about Steam not hanging around, steer your purchasing decisions towards GOG. It's just a shame they don't often get the bleeding-edge indie titles that are bandied around this thread (in that vein, JumpJet Rex launched outta early access the other day but is not yet on GOG, but I've quizzed the devs. Fingers crossed!)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    The system requirements for Batman: Arkham Knight are out, and my PC just barely does not make it. I am sad. The Arkham series (Asylum and City in particular) has been my favorite series in recent years. I'm not really surprised by this development, of course. My PC is about 5 years old at this point, aside from a video card & SSD upgrade a few years ago.

Anybody able to cut/paste them here for those of us at work?

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular

This one's for you, Lilo:

Minimum System Requirements
    OS: Win 7 SP1, Win 8.1 (64-bit Operating System Required)
    Processor: Intel Core i5-750, 2.67 GHz | AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4 GHz
    Memory: 6 GB RAM
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
    Graphics Memory: 2 GB
    DirectX®: 11
    Network: Broadband Internet Connection Required
    Hard Drive Space: 45 GB

Recommended System Requirements
    Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
    Graphics Memory: 3 GB
    Hard Drive Space: 55 GB

ULTRA System Requirements
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980

You'll note "ULTRA" is in capitals. That's how ultra it is.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Well shit.

Time to start offering services behind Olive Garden.
    Again.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Hmm, those specs look expensive. I might go with the console route for Arkham and Wild Hunt.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Man that's an AU$800 graphics card, no thanks!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I seriously did not buy enough GPU when I got this laptop. That's the third game where minimum exceeds what I've got (which, to be fair, is in "nice problem to have" territory, I know; only the third? The others are AssCreed Unity and Witcher 3). Of course there will be more... always are. And now we're into the part of the console generation where games aren't still getting ports to 360/PS3 so the consoles are getting pushed harder.

A console as a stopgap until the next PC is looking more likely.

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular

This one's for you, Lilo:

Minimum System Requirements
    Processor: Intel Core i5-750, 2.67 GHz | AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4 GHz
    Memory: 6 GB RAM
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
    Graphics Memory: 2 GB
    Hard Drive Space: 45 GB

Recommended System Requirements
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

ULTRA System Requirements
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980

You'll note "ULTRA" is in capitals. That's how ultra it is.

My GTX 760 *just* meets the Recommended but my processor is an i5-4670k. I may have to look at upgrading one or both of them soon...

The computer I'm using now is the first one I've ever built. I know swapping video cards is no problem, but is it the same for processors? Like just take the old one out and replace it with the new one?

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Minors can't enter into a legal agreement? Tell that to every seventeen year old who has ever signed a master promissory note for a Direct Loan and then tried not to pay.

pD1At7E.jpg

Your account doesn't have a list of games owned. It's got a list of your licenses and subscriptions.

I don't know how the EU or other non-US courts would handle it. But US courts are rocking a pretty pro-corporation stance these days on a lot of issues. I don't think there's any reason to think they would side with consumers against the explicit terms of the purchase agreement.

We have made a decision to trust Valve and Steam as a good actor and not screw us over. Thinking we own our games directly counter to the terms of the sale, though, that's the charade.

To be fair about the minor agreement, that falls under one of the only five things they can't evade: taxes, penalties, bank regulations (this one), military, necessaries. Though it gets a lot more complicated as to what can and cannot be voided depending on what state you're in, because of the aforementioned pro-corporation stance. For example, child stars exploited by their parents cannot renege on the contracts because their legal guardian authorized them.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Jazz wrote: »
    I seriously did not buy enough GPU when I got this laptop. That's the third game where minimum exceeds what I've got (which, to be fair, is in "nice problem to have" territory, I know; only the third? The others are AssCreed Unity and Witcher 3). Of course there will be more... always are. And now we're into the part of the console generation where games aren't still getting ports to 360/PS3 so the consoles are getting pushed harder.

Psst.

Psssssssssssssssst.
    PS4 has Blooooooooooooodbooooooooooorneee

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

pD1At7E.jpg

I don't want to get into a thing about this, because a) @Iolo, you know I respect you and b) due to an incident earlier, I am in a middling amount of pain until I can leave work and dose up on painkillers.

But.

But.

There is a significant amount of uncertainty around the 'licence' model for the deployment of software, legally speaking, in the EU/UK market. There's already some amount of hostility toward the EULA as a legal entity, and as far as I can tell from my non-legal-for-a-living perspective, it survives purely because nobody has felt the impetus to challenge it.

Disclaimer: IANAL, and the painkillers are kicking in.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    The Arkham series are the only games I've bought at launch or pre-ordered in the last 7 years, it was the only exception on my "don't buy new games in 2015" vow.

I think it may set my computer on fire

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    My GTX 760 *just* meets the Recommended but my processor is an i5-4670k. I may have to look at upgrading one or both of them soon...

The computer I'm using now is the first one I've ever built. I know swapping video cards is no problem, but is it the same for processors? Like just take the old one out and replace it with the new one?

You do not NEED to upgrade a i5-4670k right now. That's crazy talk.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Madican wrote: »
    To be fair about the minor agreement, that falls under one of the only five things they can't evade: taxes, penalties, bank regulations (this one), military, necessaries. Though it gets a lot more complicated as to what can and cannot be voided depending on what state you're in, because of the aforementioned pro-corporation stance. For example, child stars exploited by their parents cannot renege on the contracts because their legal guardian authorized them.

Fair enough. I certainly agree that it's more complicated than blanket statements from either position can cover.

I'm not sure this is the best argument for those who feel they own their games, though. The logical extension of the "minors can't enter legal agreements" argument is not publishers saying, "well, geez, I guess you do own your games." It's publishers restricting digital purchases to people who can enter into those agreements. If this argument were valid, the likely consequence would be age-gating of whole publishers' catalogs on Steam.

Also, most of the folks amassing huge backlogs here are not minors. Not by a long shot in many cases. :wink:

I don't really understand thinking that the terms of purchase somehow aren't the terms of purchase. If you don't agree with the terms set by the seller of the game, the thing to do is to vote with your dollars and not buy it. GoG offers infinite hours of gaming with an alternative distribution model (and hell, most of the social features of Steam are available for free.) The arguments that we really own these games that we agreed we were licensing when we purchased them (jerk off motions notwithstanding) just seem to boil down to wishful thinking.

To @CroakerBC, I stipulate that I have no knowledge of the state of affairs outside 'Murica on this issue.

Also to @CroakerBC (and @SmokeStacks and @Isorn) I would never take an argument about an issue as a sign of disrespect. Hell, I only argue with people I respect. Life's too short to argue with dummies. @Madican can attest to this I hope, as he (?) and I seem to regularly go round to round on narrative structure and other high falutin' issues. We have some fundamentally different views about things. But he's a swell forumer and I'm glad he or she is around. I hope no one takes my arguing an issue as disrespect because it certainly isn't intended that way!

EDIT: Also, geez CroakerBC, I hope you feel better!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options

I'm at the exact same impasse - except I'm on a desktop that has no next upgrade path. We're buying a house later this year so I'm trying to be really cautious on money. I'm really hoping to find a way to get a PS4 this year, so that next year I can do a proper PC update. Right now there are only two games that my system can't do that I actually want to play (Batman, Mortal Kombat X), but Rock Band is coming and I actually miss having a football game. The hard part for me is that Mortal Kombat is basically my favorite thing, and it's a real bummer to be missing out on all the fun.

My wife seems to disagree with my take on the topic though :)

• Options

@Lindsay Lohan someone in the comments mentioned that the i7 they list in the requirements is an older one so a current i5 like the 4670 should not have any problem handling it. Plus, if you have the "K" model, you can overclock a bit if you feel like it (and haven't already done so)

steam_sig.png

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i barely squeek by the minimum with my 670. though my guess is that it will still look good.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not too butt hurt at the whole 'you only license games, you don't own them' as the digital age has come upon us. They're even doing the same thing with cars and tractors, where you don't actually OWN them, you just license them, and if you try to repair them at home yourself you're in violation of copyright. The only way to own anything these days is to own something that is 100% DRM-Free, whether that's a car made roughly 5+ years ago, a DRM-Free game on GOG or just a plain old physical copy of a game.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not too butt hurt at the whole 'you only license games, you don't own them' as the digital age has come upon us. They're even doing the same thing with cars and tractors, where you don't actually OWN them, you just license them, and if you try to repair them at home yourself you're in violation of copyright. The only way to own anything these days is to own something that is 100% DRM-Free, whether that's a car made roughly 5+ years ago, a DRM-Free game on GOG or just a plain old physical copy of a game.

And here's where the advent of 3D Printing comes into play for physical objects.

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular

@Lindsay Lohan someone in the comments mentioned that the i7 they list in the requirements is an older one so a current i5 like the 4670 should not have any problem handling it. Plus, if you have the "K" model, you can overclock a bit if you feel like it (and haven't already done so)

Windows 8.1 HATES when I try to overclock my processor. If I try to pump out just a little more power I get a bluescreen.

I would probably upgrade my GTX 760 before I upgrade the processor anyway. Chances are I wouldn't have the money to upgrade it until Batman comes out anyway, if not a little after. I haven't really had a problem running anything really I'm just getting that itch and, after seeing how good looking Arkham Knight looks, the itch has gotten stonger.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

Windows 8.1 HATES when I try to overclock my processor. If I try to pump out just a little more power I get a bluescreen.

I would probably upgrade my GTX 760 before I upgrade the processor anyway. Chances are I wouldn't have the money to upgrade it until Batman comes out anyway, if not a little after. I haven't really had a problem running anything really I'm just getting that itch and, after seeing how good looking Arkham Knight looks, the itch has gotten stonger.

It's the GPU thirst son. I know that feels. It's parching.

I know I've been on a GTX 260 for like five friggin years until my very recent brand new build. Which, given how the last gen went, was actually totally fine until games started requiring DX11.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The thing that bugs me is that I knew when I upgraded last year that I was already far behind the curve. Then I kept tweaking it to try and 'fix' this fucking TDR bullshit and that didn't work.

On top of that, I'm wondering if I still need to upgrade a little further up the curve to try and fix it, but that's not a guarantee, either. There are reasons why I'm primarily console and then there's this crap.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Regarding the system requirements: Before anyone writes off their PC I can play GTA V on my G3258 just fine "4 CPUS" or not. Any I5 should run Batman or they done fucked up. Of course, Bioware/Activision did at first so it may be a new trend they wont bother optimizing ever soon.

Xeddicus on
  • Options

Lindsay Lohan someone in the comments mentioned that the i7 they list in the requirements is an older one so a current i5 like the 4670 should not have any problem handling it. Plus, if you have the "K" model, you can overclock a bit if you feel like it (and haven't already done so)
    Thanks, I'm actually still on a Q6600, so I'm looking at needing motherboard/cpu/ram at least.

• Options
    Still hoping I can coax Witcher 3 into being playable on my 6990M. It's below minimum, I know that, but I've got some overhead with other things like CPU and RAM, so I'm hoping 720p at low settings will be do-able. I know I've said this before, sorry if I'm annoying anyone but it's preoccupying me somewhat. If I can get that to work I can stave off a stopgap console purchase for probably a lot longer.

• Options

Lindsay Lohan someone in the comments mentioned that the i7 they list in the requirements is an older one so a current i5 like the 4670 should not have any problem handling it. Plus, if you have the "K" model, you can overclock a bit if you feel like it (and haven't already done so)
    Thanks, I'm actually still on a Q6600, so I'm looking at needing motherboard/cpu/ram at least.

I'm an idiot and a I just flagged the wrong person. So you are absolutely correct in that that thing I said applied to you doesn't apply to you.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Still hoping I can coax Witcher 3 into being playable on my 6990M. It's below minimum, I know that, but I've got some overhead with other things like CPU and RAM, so I'm hoping 720p at low settings will be do-able. I know I've said this before, sorry if I'm annoying anyone but it's preoccupying me somewhat. If I can get that to work I can stave off a stopgap console purchase for probably a lot longer.

I'm having a really hard time believing that a 6990 (even a mobile version) won't run a new game, at least at playable-if-not-gorgeous settings. We're not talking about a mid-range card from 4 generations ago here.

I'm pretty firmly convinced that min specs are getting inflated to some silly degrees these days.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    What I've done in the past is absolutely blow the budget on a computer (as in, spend a lot) and then I'm usually pretty good for about 5-7 years. The only real deviation in that is if there's hardware failure outside of warranty.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2015

I'm having a really hard time believing that a 6990 (even a mobile version) won't run a new game, at least at playable-if-not-gorgeous settings. We're not talking about a mid-range card from 4 generations ago here.

I'm pretty firmly convinced that min specs are getting inflated to some silly degrees these days.

That's what I'm thinking/hoping. This thread has confirmed quite a few games in the last few months to a year having their minimum specs exaggerated quite a bit. This card was, apparently rather famously, the fastest mobile GPU on the planet, and by a considerable margin too... four years ago. It's run everything I've thrown at it so far without breaking a sweat, with the sole exception of that graphical artifacting in GTA V's weather effects. But it's still running very decent settings on that game (med-high on most, very high textures) at a damn fine framerate (40-45 ish) at 720p.

Besides, in this day and age a game like Witcher 3 dialed down to low settings should still look absolutely gorgeous, and I don't need or expect 60fps out of everything. Realistically, if it can hold 25-ish I'll be happy; 30 and I'll be ecstatic. (Everyone has their own definition of "playable", I guess, and mine is quite modest, I think.) I guess there's only one way to find out... is it May 19th yet?

Jazz on
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Also to CroakerBC (and SmokeStacks and Isorn) I would never take an argument about an issue as a sign of disrespect. Hell, I only argue with people I respect. Life's too short to argue with dummies.

I always appreciate a good discussion. Especially if people don't always agree. Brings out some interesting points.

Not like this thread often has multi-page discussions heh.

Isorn on
  • Options
    Also to CroakerBC (and SmokeStacks and Isorn) I would never take an argument about an issue as a sign of disrespect. Hell, I only argue with people I respect. Life's too short to argue with dummies.

I always appreciate a good discussion. Especially if people don't always agree. Brings out some interesting points.

Are you suggesting this thread has an attention deficit issue? :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options

Are you suggesting this thread has an attention deficit issue? :razz:

Oh look, a squirrel!

This discussion has been closed.