As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GV10: [Results] Best Comic Book TV Show

13»

• Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    If Spectacular Spider-Man doesn't win by a landslide, a grave injustice would have occurred. The only thing it did wrong was get cancelled.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Well...

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Spectacular Spider-Man is great, but it's no Young Justice.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    25-11

25) Superhero Squad (0 pts)

I only have a vague idea as to what this is. Regardless, it got nothing, indicating that I’m not the only one.

24) Blade: The Series (1 pt)

I’ve heard of this show! It got one fifth place vote, though, which isn’t very good, really.

22) Powers(2 pts)
    22) Legion of Superheroes (2 pts)

I think the thing these two shows have in common is that not a lot of people watched them, but the people that did definitely at least remember that they exist.

21) The Middleman (4 pts)

I was very worried that this was going to sneak through without getting a vote, but a couple people remembered that this show existed at the last minute. It has Natalie Morales! And some other people! I don’t actually know much about this show other than one of the original writers on Lost was the showrunner, and I just learned that like, an hour and a half ago.

20) Green Lantern (5 pts)

I’ve heard this is really good! But like most people, I didn’t watch it, so it’s dead. Sorry guys!

19) Amazing Screw-On Head (7 pts)

I know this show, mostly because it only aired for one preview episode and was never heard from again, which in nerd circles, grants it a rare honor akin to sainthood. I mean, it was also apparently really great, but, you know.

18) Alphas (9 pts)

I’ve been informed that this is not the origin story of Alphas 1-4, culminating in Alpha-5, loyal friend to Zordon and the Power Rangers. Instead it featured David Straithairn, and was described to me as “Heroes, only if Heroes was written by people who weren’t insane.”

16) The Cape (12 pts)

some asshole voted this in as their top pick. why would you do this

16) iZombie (12 pts)

Meanwhile, every vote for this came in before the second episode even aired, which is bold. I am honestly, very upset that it didn’t actually finish ahead of the Walking Dead, because that would have been hilarious.

15) The Walking Dead (17 pts)

It’s only five points back! If someone wants to sneak in a second place and a fifth place vote real quick I swear I won’t tell anyone.

Anyways, this is like, the biggest show on cable television, and all kinds of people watch it and it has its own talk show, so it’s probably the most successful comic book TV show of all time, or at least since Hulk went off the air.

14) Wolverine & the X-Men (21 pts)

This is one of those weird fits and starts Marvel keeps having towards building something similar to the DCAU. They just can never commit to it, or find a good home for their efforts. All of Marvel’s cartoons in this poll fall victim to Marvel arbitrarily killing them at some point, and it sucks.

13) Misfits (22 pts)

I started to read up on what this actually is, in the course of typing this up, and as a result I feel like I should probably check this out. Maybe you should, too! It’s apparently pretty good!

12) The Boondocks (34 pts)

This is the last show that isn’t based on a Marvel or DC property. Congrats to the Boondocks for that weird honor!

11) Constantine (35 pts)

In spite of all the pre-show controversy, about whether he smokes, or whether he’s bisexual or not, and in spite of recasting the female lead immediately after the pilot, enough of you liked this show to just miss the top 10.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    10-5

10) Human Target (42 pts)

I know two things about this show: there was a fucking rad episode on a train, (for some reason trains are fantastic settings for action shows, it’s nuts!) and they had a drastic and devastating retooling between seasons one and two that ultimately killed the show. So congrats to Season One of Human Target for cracking the top ten!

9) Spectacular Spider-Man (70 pts)

Look at that jump from 10 to 9. There are a lot of those jumps in this poll. Spectacular Spider-Man is a particularly heart-breaking example of Marvel’s TV division killing something great for reasons that weren’t really readily apparent. But hey, the CW pairs it with JLU on Saturday mornings, I think, and that’s pretty cool.

8) Arrow (91 pts)

Okay, I actually have a bone to pick with everyone that’s spent the last couple years talking about Arrow non-stop, telling me how great Arrow is, talking about how much I need to watch Arrow…and then when it comes time to vote for Arrow, you abandon it for it’s new, hotter cousin. For shame, superhero nerds. For shame.

7) Batman: The Brave and the Bold (94 pts)

I think this show merits a higher ranking based on Aquaman alone. And the episodes with Wonder Woman. And really, my favorite versions of Batman are always going to be the versions where they let him be a ridiculous cartoon character instead of a broody jerk, so props to the existence of this series.

6) Young Justice (99 pts)

I think maybe all the great DC cartoons ended up splitting the vote, which ended up leaving Young Justice just outside the top five. Young Justice is another show on this list that built up a strong following only to be undone by toy companies, probably. I don’t actually know why, but I like blaming toy companies for things.

• Options
    TOP FIVE

5) Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (113 pts)

After a rough start, this series finally started to figure out what it was right before Captain America 2 came out and blew up the central premise of the show. Now it’s got legitimate intrigue and an increasing willingness to just be an insane comic book show, and we’re all better for it, because it doesn’t look like it’s going anywhere.

4) Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes (116 pts)

Marvel’s strongest attempt at creating their own version of the DCAU, EMH became a Marvel universe show so gradually that it would be very easy to just…not realize it happened until Captain Marvel shows up and everyone heads out to Latveria to talk to Doctor Doom, and then there are Skrulls, and really, it’s a shame that they neutered it right before they killed it and replaced it with a lesser show. Still a really great run, though.

3) Agent Carter (131 pts)

Agent Carter, more than just about anything else below it on this list, came flying out of the gate with a very clear purpose and a very clear knowledge of what kind of show it wanted to be. It’s the most blatantly feminist show on this list, something that’s emphasized very strongly by the trappings of its setting, and something that adds extra weight to Agent Carter’s eventual victories.

2) Justice League Unlimited (188 pts)

And here we are with what I assumed was the clear favorite in this category, a cartoon that was absolutely huge at this forum’s inception. There’s not a whole lot to write about this show at this point. It was a great show with great character work, great longform and standalone storytelling, and terrific action. And it’s a classic.

1) The Flash (204 pts)

Oddly enough, what propelled The Flash to the top spot on this poll was a slow and steady race to the top. This show is the only show to receive votes on over 50% of the ballots, appearing on 65% of ‘em, taking the top spot through sheer numbers. I haven’t watched it, so I can’t speak from any authority, but it sounds like a crazier, more light-hearted version of Arrow, and you guys actually like this one enough to vote for it! Congratulations, The Flash. You did it.

• Options
    no pictures with this one, I'm about to fall asleep typing, sorry

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Why is Green Lantern both at 22 and 20?

• Options
    Because I've been awake for 28 hours or so, mostly. It's fixed now.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    numbers 8-6 and 5-3 should be switched

in my (correct) opinion

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Keith wrote: »

in my (correct) opinion

Shit.

I actually concur.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I mean.

I understand that JLU came out like a decade ago, which in modern times is the same thing as a century ago, and that The Flash came out super-recently, and so is fresh on everyone's mind.

And also I haven't watched The Flash, so I can't honestly judge for myself.

But.

I'm a bit nettled that JLU didn't get the top spot.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Well, fuck, I guess I have to watch Avengers: EMH now. I'm genuinely surprised Agents of SHIELD managed to crack the top 5.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Well, fuck, I guess I have to watch Avengers: EMH now. I'm genuinely surprised Agents of SHIELD managed to crack the top 5.

AoS got really, really good after Winter Soldier.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I feel like it was already good even several episodes before that.

• Options
    Young Justice deserved better than that. :confused:

Still, that's a good list.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Superhero Squad deserved at least a single vote if only for making this exist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XoRGgpF2qc

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Keith wrote: »

in my (correct) opinion

Agent Carter is fine where it is (it should be higher)

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I didn't vote because I don't watch most of the current comic shows (other than the missing Teen Titans Go) - but I wish I had noticed Boondocks on the list, I would have at least thrown a vote their way.

Superhero Squad was a pretty good kids show - Modok had a pretty big role which was awesome and the Silver Surfer's surfer dude voice acting was great too.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Poor Young Justice, you got the shaft again. And JLU. And BATB.

edit: those crippling losses aside, good for DC being a contender. They do make good stuff, people, it's just not in their comics right now!

TexiKen on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    superhero squad is maybe one of the worst shows I have ever been forced to watch by my son. it is terrible.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    God, Flash is such a great show

• Options
    I feel like as this season continues, Flash would continue pushing its way higher on my top five. It just keeps getting better.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Ohh dang, I initially missed this thread.

I voted for The Cape in some capacity, but I am pretty sure (not certain!) that I have it the 2 points and not the 10. It was just so much terrible fun, and it's influenced community so much.

I intentionally didn't vote for JLU because only like 13 episodes aired in the qualifying time period. Bummed Young Justice and Batman:BatB didn't make it higher, and same for Spectacular Spider-Man.

I still need to watch all the recent live-action shows.

• Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    Generic character design was SHS's biggest fault. But that was unavoidable because those designs were pre-existing to the show. I enjoyed the camp of it. And though it didn't hit my top 5, I thought it was going to until I was voting. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

I honestly don't understand the appeal of Arrow at all. I forced myself through the first season, and watched the second season in three chunks months apart from each other, each time coming back, hoping it'd be better. It wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't want to like it so much. It's just so post-Smallville formulaic, and the writing falls so hard under the "15 word character" flaw as described in Moore's Writing for Comics. I was actually surprised to find out that its as popular as it was on the forums. I had assumed it would be more like Walking Dead, where the comic fans have grown bored with it as it caters more and more toward a different demographic.

Flash, I dig. For the most part, it balances its catering to viewer demographics well.

Earth's Mightiest Heroes is another one I really wanted to like. I loved Wolverine and the X-Men. And I've tried to get into EMH numerous times, but I've yet to see an episode that held me until the end. I understand its appeal and why people like it. I just can't get into it. I would have rather it continued instead of being replaced with its utterly generic successor.

Powers is too new to really warrant voting, I'd say. I enjoyed the first episode, and plan to watch more.

Shield is one I keep watching, and never dislike an episode enough to not watch the next, but if it weren't running on the MCU crutch, it would have been cancelled ten times over by now. I'm glad to see Carter ranked higher.