As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Thread invaded by a Deviljho. Go to new thread or get eaten.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Anything to take my mind off my Rustshard nonsense. ;)

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Thanks for the Deviljho gq. Now I can foist it upon unsusp. . .

Er, I mean engage in hunting him as a fun and worthwhile activity for all to share.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Entaru wrote: »
    Thanks for the Deviljho gq. Now I can foist it upon unsusp. . .

Er, I mean engage in hunting him as a fun and worthwhile activity for all to share.

He went down pretty easily this first time, I thought. It's been a while since I poisoned something that wasn't Kushala.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Seidkona
    Oh yeah, until he rolls over to Apex I don't feel like he'll be much of an issue for us.

• Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    Oh goodness, I picked this game back up after months. I'm a bit rusty, and it's time to try something other than dual blades. Recommendations?

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
    Oh goodness, I picked this game back up after months. I'm a bit rusty, and it's time to try something other than dual blades. Recommendations?

There are weapons other than dual blades?

Oh, right. The ones I have to use in most Arena fights. :P

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif

Well. What are you looking for?

SnS is pretty great. Still fast and can evade out of most moves.

• manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    obligatory gunlance shoutout! it's a monstrous shotgun with a bayonet on the front, what more do you want?! also, totally different playstyle to DB.

i've decided to give the hammer some love since i rarely use it. ran up a set with bomb boost/ part breaker/ evade+1/ constitution +1/ focus and heat cancel last night, gonna use it with the teo hammer as a specific face smashing weapon...

edit - i find it really odd when people only use one weapon. one of the joys of monster hunter is working out the correct tools for the job. i've got a whole spread of weapons and am at least half decent with anything you put in my hand.

manji on
    Auralynx
    edited November 2015
    manji wrote: »
    obligatory gunlance shoutout! it's a monstrous shotgun with a bayonet on the front, what more do you want?! also, totally different playstyle to DB.

i've decided to give the hammer some love since i rarely use it. ran up a set with bomb boost/ part breaker/ evade+1/ constitution +1/ focus and heat cancel last night, gonna use it with the teo hammer as a specific face smashing weapon...

edit - i find it really odd when people only use one weapon. one of the joys of monster hunter is working out the correct tools for the job. i've got a whole spread of weapons and am at least half decent with anything you put in my hand.

Sometimes things just click. You get into a groove and end up specializing.

Seidkona on
    Seriously
    When I find something I can't beat with duals, I'll use something else. Thus far this has not happened (although I don't do nearly as much solo G-rank as I did in TriU due to few solo options that aren't intended for multi). Sure, fighting a high-chassis biped like Jho or Brachy is a damned nuisance but that's where other tactics like mounting, trapping, and bombing come into play.

As far as I'm concerned, "the right tools for the job" translates to "correct elemental/status advantage". Paralysis as default, Jho/Kushala get poisoned, status-immune/resistant Elders eat a TON of dragon element, Gravios gets blasted with water, etc..

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Seidkona
    edited November 2015
    There has not been a single situation in all of 4U where I've felt like I needed to switch weapons for any fight.

My SnS does just fine against anything I've gone up against.

Edit: understand this comes from someone who put in a lot of hunts with lance, lbg and bow in 3U.

Seidkona on
    yeah, i see your point. so long as your elements are lined up and you're skilled you can take down anything with any weapon. over time i've drifted to certain favourites though, just to grease the wheels. swaxe/ LS for jho tail cuts, negate status horn for chameleos & spiders, GL for counterhitting tigrexes (or SnS for staying between the legs), guns for gravios, khezu etc.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    When I find something I can't beat with duals, I'll use something else. Thus far this has not happened (although I don't do nearly as much solo G-rank as I did in TriU due to few solo options that aren't intended for multi). Sure, fighting a high-chassis biped like Jho or Brachy is a damned nuisance but that's where other tactics like mounting, trapping, and bombing come into play.

As far as I'm concerned, "the right tools for the job" translates to "correct elemental/status advantage". Paralysis as default, Jho/Kushala get poisoned, status-immune/resistant Elders eat a TON of dragon element, Gravios gets blasted with water, etc..

I mean, I thought Gravios were just awful with gunlance until I learned to blow up their feet first. I'm pretty much in agreement, even way down the ladder.

Don't ask me to fight a Gypceros without using a hammer now that I've got stunning them down pretty well, though.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

i don't mind doing gravios with a GL, you need guard up and minds eye though. once you've shot a hole in their guts the damage racks up nicely!

edited November 2015
    Auralynx wrote: »
    I mean, I thought Gravios were just awful with gunlance until I learned to blow up their feet first. I'm pretty much in agreement, even way down the ladder.

Don't ask me to fight a Gypceros without using a hammer now that I've got stunning them down pretty well, though.

I was like that with Diablos in 3U since fighting her with duals was a fucking nightmare for some reason. I would always switch to LS or Hammer for them.

Now I can take down a 'blos with my ankle-biters just fine. The added mobility of the spin attack (and mounting) made a world of difference.

And Gravios is always awful, regardless of weapon or tactic. I will say that if duals didn't have a lot of inherent ESP then those fights would be like ten times worse than they already are for me. Also? Their fire blasts cheat like hell, at least in the Everwood. The number of times I've been carted by a beam that went THROUGH the fucking column I was hiding behind is staggering.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Auralynx

Gravios is fixed with mind's eye. At this point I have a set designed for him based on Star Knight.

It;s weird. you'll see me using my para set a lot even when it's not the most optimal but I'll tell you that there's never a bad time to bring the 3rd highest raw SnS in the game. I'll never feel bad about it because it is easily outclassing most other SnS's in raw and often find myself hitting the stop animation that the game forces on you to slow your damage down if you hit the threshold.

Raw is underestimated quite a bit especially on speed weapons.

yeah, they really need to sort out the ability of beams to go through walls. i instinctually use cover like i was in an MMO, often with tragic results.

It;s weird. you'll see me using my para set a lot even when it's not the most optimal but I'll tell you that there's never a bad time to bring the 3rd highest raw SnS in the game. I'll never feel bad about it because it is easily outclassing most other SnS's in raw and often find myself hitting the stop animation that the game forces on you to slow your damage down if you hit the threshold.

I really should give the Dala duals a shot but I like the natural purple sharpness on my bug blades too much.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited November 2015

I really should give the Dala duals a shot but I like the natural purple sharpness on my bug blades too much.

Not having the purple is it's inherent disadvantage and I am not going to lie and say it doesn't bug the hell out of me.

That being said I feel like I gain too much to really worry about it much. +def, super high raw, two slots, and a mile long white bar when you put sharp+1 on it. It's also so evenly balanced that both attack and def hone work well on it because it already has great attributes on both sides.

Honestly the only thing I could see replacing it with is a relic with 406(not the higest but the highest has a significant affinity penalty) raw, the best sharpness pattern, top para and high affinity with an edgemaster +5 jewel. So basically a god tier roll and not something I am ever expecting to happen.

I am not kidding that is the only relic (I might settle if it had poison) I would ever bother to even think of replacing my beautiful Dala SnS with as my main workhorse.

Seidkona on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    yeah, they really need to sort out the ability of beams to go through walls. i instinctually use cover like i was in an MMO, often with tragic results.

Since I am currently married to Artillery God instead of any of the extra blocking stuff I hate Black Gravios with the fire of 1000 suns, yeah.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited November 2015

Since I am currently married to Artillery God instead of any of the extra blocking stuff I hate Black Gravios with the fire of 1000 suns, yeah.

my GL set is guard +2/ guard up/ artillery god/ minds eye. it's also the most hideous clown suit you'll ever lay eyes on as a result of mixing b. gravi, artian, teo and lunastra bits.

can you go down to artillery expert, gem/ neck guard up, then eat for bombadier?

manji on
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    yeah, i see your point. so long as your elements are lined up and you're skilled you can take down anything with any weapon. over time i've drifted to certain favourites though, just to grease the wheels. swaxe/ LS for jho tail cuts, negate status horn for chameleos & spiders, GL for counterhitting tigrexes (or SnS for staying between the legs), guns for gravios, khezu etc.

I know lance can play matador with tigrex, but how does gunlance do it?

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451

my GL set is guard +2/ guard up/ artillery god/ minds eye. it's also the most hideous clown suit you'll ever lay eyes on as a result of mixing b. gravi, artian, teo and lunastra bits.

can you go down to artillery expert, gem/ neck guard up, then eat for bombadier?

Probably not yet, still only in HR. I do have earplugs and sharpness to go with Artillery God, it's not like I'm screwed, here, but it's an offense-oriented set.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Gravios is fixed with mind's eye. At this point I have a set designed for him based on Star Knight.

I've sat down and done the math before, and the difference between Lagi SnS and Kirin SnS... well, Kirin beat Lagi just barely at a 2:1 raw/ele hitbox ratio. That's Rathian's face iirc. And you only just win out. With one of the best elemental weapon types and an absolutely bonkers elemental value.

I think it works out a bit better on the legs actually (closer ratio I think)...but the general usefulness of high raw is hard to beat. And the difference between good and average element hitboxes is extreme (you lose 20% of your dps just going from a 25 to a 20!).

Of course, SnS does serious amounts of elemental damage and you absolutely want to match weaknesses or bring status - its a significant chunk of your output.

But don't sacrifice raw, because evem the most ludicrous element values are still not high enough t justify it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Seidkona
    Polaritie wrote: »

I've sat down and done the math before, and the difference between Lagi SnS and Kirin SnS... well, Kirin beat Lagi just barely at a 2:1 raw/ele hitbox ratio. That's Rathian's face iirc. And you only just win out. With one of the best elemental weapon types and an absolutely bonkers elemental value.

I think it works out a bit better on the legs actually (closer ratio I think)...but the general usefulness of high raw is hard to beat. And the difference between good and average element hitboxes is extreme (you lose 20% of your dps just going from a 25 to a 20!).

Of course, SnS does serious amounts of elemental damage and you absolutely want to match weaknesses or bring status - its a significant chunk of your output.

But don't sacrifice raw, because evem the most ludicrous element values are still not high enough t justify it.

Oh yeah, the Dala sns also brings an ok amount of Para to the table.

I really am of the opinion that Status is universally better than element in almost every circumstance except immune monsters. Only when you can boost the raw of course. But the mix should always skew towards raw if you can help it unless it's a special case.

TamerBill wrote: »

when he's not running up and down the screen like an idiot tiggy will just stand face on and wail on you. you have no flinch or stamina loss to speak of with guard +2, so every time he's finished a claw, bite, spin or roar you weave in a poke to the face followed by a charged shot or two.

if he charges through you and ends up a short distance away you can just turn round and go a quick running shot to cover the distance

Auralynx
    TamerBill wrote: »

when he's not running up and down the screen like an idiot tiggy will just stand face on and wail on you. you have no flinch or stamina loss to speak of with guard +2, so every time he's finished a claw, bite, spin or roar you weave in a poke to the face followed by a charged shot or two.

if he charges through you and ends up a short distance away you can just turn round and go a quick running shot to cover the distance

Pretty doable even without the guard boost; the windows are that big.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Might be nothing but Capcom just created an official MH EU Twitch channel.

I'd like to believe they are ramping up for a MHX western release.

Might be nothing but Capcom just created an official MH EU Twitch channel.

I'd like to believe they are ramping up for a MHX western release.

The US Capcom twitch team (Unity) has been having problems with their capture 3DS and MHMondays hasn't aired in over a month. :(

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited November 2015
    Going to have to move Thursday night hunting I think. I'm thinking Mondays or Wendsdays?

Either day better? I should be able to open rooms earlier on those days too. So it'd probably be more around 6pm.

Seidkona on
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Going to have to move Thursday night hunting I think. I'm thinking Mondays or Wendsdays?

Either day better? I should be able to open rooms earlier on those days too. So it'd probably be more around 6pm.

This is good news! I vote Monday. I also want to know when you driving to Cleveland to hunt with us?!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      Finally started playing MH4U! A little. Kinda.

I bought the CE when it first came out and never touched it because I wanted to play it along with friends who were into MH, but they never got it. I also told myself I'd get a New 3DS at some point to experience it best.

Went a long time without playing any MH. A few weeks ago I was reminiscing about 3U with one of those friends and we started playing it again. We never got super far, I had gotten to HR 7 just into G rank and he was around HR 4. I've finally made Selene ZZZXZ just now (HG Earplugs, Sharpness +1) and it's pretty awesome.

My friend just got the Zelda N3DSXL he had ordered earlier and is really looking forward to 4U, and we've convinced a couple other people to play it with us...after we're all done with Fallout 4. Bad time to get back into MH.

But I had to start playing it anyway, get some of that gathering done, raise some money, that sort of thing. I don't want to get too far ahead of everyone but y'know.

I miss a ton of stuff from 3U already. The great world/lobby system and voice chat, online seems vastly worse in this iteration. Oddly enough, the simplicity and fun of Cha-Cha and Kayamba and their mask system, and how they were much less annoying than yowling cats, even though the cats are cuter.

I was always a switch axe person in 3 and 3U (my only MH games so far) but I've heard they're awful now. I've started learning charge blade but I already miss the ease of the switch axe phial system, being in sword mode basically all the time. I don't get to apply status 100% of the time! D: Also want to get into the insect glaive but I don't want to start until I've got the bug food I need and possibly some better staff options (I hear it's just the starting staff for ages).

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
      fRAWRstVyolynceSeidkona
      edited November 2015

I'm fine with either. Tuesdays and Fridays are bad weeknights for me, everything else I can make work.

EDIT: Although it's worth noting that server maintenance is usually on Monday nights.

Vyolynce on
      nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif

what was your old start time? your posts usually go up from 1 - 2am my time, it'd be nice to get some games in without having to resort to necking the trucker pills...

I bought the CE when it first came out and never touched it because I wanted to play it along with friends who were into MH, but they never got it. I also told myself I'd get a New 3DS at some point to experience it best.

Went a long time without playing any MH. A few weeks ago I was reminiscing about 3U with one of those friends and we started playing it again. We never got super far, I had gotten to HR 7 just into G rank and he was around HR 4. I've finally made Selene ZZZXZ just now (HG Earplugs, Sharpness +1) and it's pretty awesome.

My friend just got the Zelda N3DSXL he had ordered earlier and is really looking forward to 4U, and we've convinced a couple other people to play it with us...after we're all done with Fallout 4. Bad time to get back into MH.

But I had to start playing it anyway, get some of that gathering done, raise some money, that sort of thing. I don't want to get too far ahead of everyone but y'know.

I miss a ton of stuff from 3U already. The great world/lobby system and voice chat, online seems vastly worse in this iteration. Oddly enough, the simplicity and fun of Cha-Cha and Kayamba and their mask system, and how they were much less annoying than yowling cats, even though the cats are cuter.

I was always a switch axe person in 3 and 3U (my only MH games so far) but I've heard they're awful now. I've started learning charge blade but I already miss the ease of the switch axe phial system, being in sword mode basically all the time. I don't get to apply status 100% of the time! D: Also want to get into the insect glaive but I don't want to start until I've got the bug food I need and possibly some better staff options (I hear it's just the starting staff for ages).

i went from MHFU to MH4U so i can't comment on how OP swaxes may have been in 3/ 3U, but as far as i'm concerned they are an extremely good weapon. certainly not worth consigning to the junk heap.

edited November 2015

what was your old start time? your posts usually go up from 1 - 2am my time, it'd be nice to get some games in without having to resort to necking the trucker pills...

It was about 8 that I was getting rooms up on Thursdays.

So about 2 hours earlier than before.

Mondays work slightly better than Wednesdays. I think I want to shoot for Mondays and then if maintenance keeps biting us we can switch to Wednesdays.

Seidkona on

i went from MHFU to MH4U so i can't comment on how OP swaxes may have been in 3/ 3U, but as far as i'm concerned they are an extremely good weapon. certainly not worth consigning to the junk heap.

They're my girlfriend's other weapon besides DB and the couple times she's gotten in a groove or I've seen a rando with one, they seemed fine. Not particularly good at part-breaking or stuns, but fairly reliable for raw output.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Reports of the nerf to Swaxe were wildly exaggerated.

It's a very strong weapon in 4U and I personally enjoy it more than the Charge Axe by quite a bit. I feel like when they retooled the weapon they added far more than they took away. For instance there's a new axe infinite combo that uses stamina. It has high motion value and can end in a switch to blade mode. It's so very good.

manji
    • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
      Reports of the nerf to Swaxe were wildly exaggerated.

It's a very strong weapon in 4U and I personally enjoy it more than the Charge Axe by quite a bit. I feel like when they retooled the weapon they added far more than they took away. For instance there's a new axe infinite combo that uses stamina. It has high motion value and can end in a switch to blade mode. It's so very good.

The hack and slash isn't new, it's just much better now.

Switch axe does suffer from the raw over everything problem to a degree - power phials are thr best hands down. However, since you spend a lot of time in axe mode it's not a huge loss. (Hell, I rarely go to sword because I don't like losing my mobility - I usually only switch when the monster falls, or if I need the esp)

Steam: Polaritie
      3DS: 0473-8507-2652
      Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
      PSN: AbEntropy
      manji
      I meant to say there's a new change to the infinite combo. oops.

Yeah, they upped the motion values and added the switch to blade mode at the end.

Actually they buffed axe mode across the board so its not just sheath into blade mode all day every day. I found myself really switching between the two quite a it before I fell into the SnS trap.