As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hearthstone: THIS THREAD IS DEAD! LONG LIVE THE NEW THREAD!

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    If you are still building a collection, definitely Classic.

GvG is great, but it is more useful when combined with the original set.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    That’s very helpful, guys – thanks. For now I’ll put my gold into packs and just buy Naxx outright at some point.

Should I focus solely on the Classic packs, or is there value in grabbing a couple of GvG packs as well?

Focus mostly on classic packs since Arena yields only GvG packs (plus dust, gold and single cards).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    @Iron Weasel
    Also, you probably want to do Naxx sooner than later.

A lot of those cards are legit common in many, many (most) decks because they changed the meta so much.
    Loatheb, haunted creeper, etc. etc.

Some posts ago detailed it all out.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    @Iron Weasel
    Also, you probably want to do Naxx sooner than later.

A lot of those cards are legit common in many, many (most) decks because they changed the meta so much.
    Loatheb, haunted creeper, etc. etc.

Honeslty, with the exception of Frostwyrm lair every quarter has at least two cards that have been meta-altering.
    Frostwyrm lair doesn't count because oozes and Kel'thuzad are more gimmicky than meta-altering and Avenge sucks. Only the shade is worth it, and these days only a few decks use the shade.
    By comparison Plague quarter and Construct quarter are both shock-full of meta-altering cards.
    Sludge belcher, death's bite, dark cultist, mad scientist, zombie chow, loatheb, duplicate and webspinner have all featured in Tier 1 decks. Some of those tier 1 decks wouldn't even be tier 3 without those cards.

Blackrock has its killer cards a bit more evenly distributed, although Blackwing lair is a bit more heavily loaded with the goodstuff than the other sections.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    If only it was possible to gift dust, we could have a fund for getting new players who come here up and running right away with some decent cards.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    That’s very helpful, guys – thanks. For now I’ll put my gold into packs and just buy Naxx outright at some point.

Should I focus solely on the Classic packs, or is there value in grabbing a couple of GvG packs as well?

Are there any classes your gravitating towards? Early on, definitely focus on Classic as it's the bigger set so it'll take longer to get all the staples. GvG has more powerful commons for many deck types though so it's not out of the question to pick up a GvG pack every now and then (like once every 3 or 4 packs).

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Grobian wrote: »
    BREAKING NEWS for people with an EU account
    We know access to Hearthstone in Europe was spotty last week. Sorry about that, and we really appreciate your patience as we worked to get the tavern back into shape.

As a thank-you for bearing with us, ALL Hearthstone accounts in the European Hearthstone region created prior to May 3, 2015 will enjoy two free Classic Hearthstone card packs, free of charge.

Just log in to Hearthstone at your convenience to find your card packs in the “Open Packs” section. No need to rush; these packs never expire.

Note: It may take up to 24 hours before your packs will appear.

Thanks again, and we’ll see you in the tavern!
    http://eu.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/19085491/update-for-hearthstone®-players-in-europe-11-05-2015

Good job thread, figuring out where these packs came from was the reason I came here just now. I worried I might have done something while drunk and forgot about it, but turns out I can still trust my memory.

Edit: one pack had Harrison Jones and a rare, other one had an epic and two rares. Granted a lot of them and all the commons were stuff I had already or will never play but, dust! Legendary! Well played, RNG.

jakobagger on
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Btw, is there a point where I should switch from buying classic packs which I'm doing now, to buying GvG instead.

• Options
    KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    Blizzard, where are my packs? NA servers suck too. :(

• Options
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Btw, is there a point where I should switch from buying classic packs which I'm doing now, to buying GvG instead.

a 3:1 ratio should cover you until you feel you are getting too many Dupes.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Kolosus wrote: »

Sorry I have to side with Blizzard. It's your connection. I very very very rarely have gotten disconnected from a game unless i was playing on my phone with less then 2 bars of strength. At home, its all gravy fast.

• Options
    azith28 wrote: »

a 3:1 ratio should cover you until you feel you are getting too many Dupes.

I've been buying only classic but lately all my commons and a lot of my rares are dupes

Still missing a bunch of important epics though, and almost all legendaries

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Kolosus wrote: »

Sorry I have to side with Blizzard. It's your connection. I very very very rarely have gotten disconnected from a game unless i was playing on my phone with less then 2 bars of strength. At home, its all gravy fast.

They've had a few periods where they were shitting the bed. They didn't last long, but since Blizzard's reconnection code is fucking terrible they resulted in a few arena losses.

• Options
    SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    Twilight Whelps are the new and improved Zombie chow.
    VERY annoying 1-drop.

I haven't been able to get them to feel right, and I think it might be because they lower the expected value of resurrect.

Small sample size (maybe a dozen games with whelps, eight without), but I had this for 0-2 mana cards:

2xPW:Shield
    2xNorthshire
    2xTwilight Whelp
    2xShadow Boxer
    2xGiblin Stalker
    1xSW:Pain

Then changed to this:

1xSilence
    2xPW:Shield
    2xNorthshire
    2xResurrect
    2xShadow Boxer
    2xGiblin Stalker
    1xSW:Pain

And it was night and day. I'm ready to admit I haven't played the deck enough, but went 6-2 last night with the new version.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    So, when is it "correct" to use Resurrect? Let's say it's in your opening hand; do you use it as soon as one of your early-game minions dies, so that you know exactly what you're getting? If so, I guess my question is why not just use two more two-mana creatures instead of the two Resurrects? Unless you REALLY want those extra Northshires, I guess.

If you have a deck with only mid-to-late-game creatures, then I get it; getting a 2-mana Sylvanas is basically a criminal offence. But if you don't have any early-game creatures to pollute the Resurrect pool, you probably aren't even surviving into the late game anyway.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Or is it basically a fun, "random" card intended to create "can you believe that happened?!?" moments, but not be competitive?

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

Grobian wrote: »
    BREAKING NEWS for people with an EU account
    We know access to Hearthstone in Europe was spotty last week. Sorry about that, and we really appreciate your patience as we worked to get the tavern back into shape.

As a thank-you for bearing with us, ALL Hearthstone accounts in the European Hearthstone region created prior to May 3, 2015 will enjoy two free Classic Hearthstone card packs, free of charge.

Just log in to Hearthstone at your convenience to find your card packs in the “Open Packs” section. No need to rush; these packs never expire.

Note: It may take up to 24 hours before your packs will appear.

Thanks again, and we’ll see you in the tavern!
    http://eu.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/19085491/update-for-hearthstone®-players-in-europe-11-05-2015

Good job thread, figuring out where these packs came from was the reason I came here just now. I worried I might have done something while drunk and forgot about it, but turns out I can still trust my memory.

Edit: one pack had Harrison Jones and a rare, other one had an epic and two rares. Granted a lot of them and all the commons were stuff I had already or will never play but, dust! Legendary! Well played, RNG.

I managed to get a Malygos* in one of my packs; from some of the posts in this thread, it seems like the two packs Blizzard gave away, have been rather generous.

*I'm lucky enough to have most if not all "useful" legendaries, so it's quite nice to get one that I'd not normally worry about crafting.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    So, when is it "correct" to use Resurrect? Let's say it's in your opening hand; do you use it as soon as one of your early-game minions dies, so that you know exactly what you're getting? If so, I guess my question is why not just use two more two-mana creatures instead of the two Resurrects? Unless you REALLY want those extra Northshires, I guess.

If you have a deck with only mid-to-late-game creatures, then I get it; getting a 2-mana Sylvanas is basically a criminal offence. But if you don't have any early-game creatures to pollute the Resurrect pool, you probably aren't even surviving into the late game anyway.

The point of Resurrect is having 4 Dark Cultists.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    You have to modify your deck to really take advantage of it (ie no small creatures at all, and a lot more removal),

That said, it works really well with larger creatures and especially well with KT (if KT dies on your turn and you cast resurrect him, your new KT brings back the KT that just died... Which is REALLY hard to deal with for anyone who isn't a handlock).

Basically if you can get in a situation where you have resurrect in hand and only awesome creatures have died (hopefully just the one so you know exactly what you'll get), you're set. Two resurrects in hand in that situation is game breaking.

El Skid on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I don't really see whelps as 'improved' on zombie chow

they offer synergy later but only if you don't play them early, which is what you actually want

or am I missing something

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular

I always mulligan it out, but assuming it comes into my hand in the first few turns, I'd only use it if against aggro and I felt like it was going to do something for me.

One game last night had a pretty good use of it. Turn 3 + coin piloted shredder. Turn 4 traded the shredder, resurrected him, dropped a shadow boxer with my remaining 2 mana.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular

Are there any classes your gravitating towards? Early on, definitely focus on Classic as it's the bigger set so it'll take longer to get all the staples. GvG has more powerful commons for many deck types though so it's not out of the question to pick up a GvG pack every now and then (like once every 3 or 4 packs).
    I know it's boring, but I've been most consistent with the mage. I've had some fun with the Warrior and Priest, too. I haven't really given the other classes a fair shake, but I don't have a ton of free time, so I'll probably stick with just a couple for now.

And alright already, I'll buy Naxx this week :razz:

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

they offer synergy later but only if you don't play them early, which is what you actually want

They're a zombie chow without the downside, but you have to be holding a dragon, which are all pretty fat and can mess up your early curve.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    maybe dragon priest works differently but generally giving the opponent 5 health in exchange for control of the early game is less of a downside than needing a potentially awkward card in your hand, for priest

but this is pure speculation I admit, haven't played with or against dragon priest.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    PacMan1979PacMan1979 Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    d1ramiaphtkd.jpg
    @jakobagger I was actually wondering this myself a few weeks ago, so during my downtime at work I looked through my collection and started writing down all the cards I was missing and put them into a spreadsheet. This helps me decide which packs to pick when I have extra gold.

PacMan1979 on
  • Options
    PacMan1979 wrote: »
    @jakobagger I was actually wondering this myself a few weeks ago, so during my downtime at work I looked through my collection and started writing down all the cards I was missing and put them into a spreadsheet. This helps me decide which packs to pick when I have extra gold.

I doubt I'll ever care enough to do that manually. Someone should make an automated process for it though.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

I had an opponent Priest play a turn 3 Injured Blademaster on a board which had my Sorcerer's Apprentice on it. I trade and play Arcane Intellect. Turn 4, he drops x2 resurrection. Needless to say I lost that game a few turns later.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    maybe dragon priest works differently but generally giving the opponent 5 health in exchange for control of the early game is less of a downside than needing a potentially awkward card in your hand, for priest

but this is pure speculation I admit, haven't played with or against dragon priest.

I can tell you firsthand that having access to two 1 mana 2/3s in the same deck is absolute beast against facehunter and zoolock.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    3clipse wrote: »

They're a zombie chow without the downside, but you have to be holding a dragon, which are all pretty fat and can mess up your early curve.

Except hungry dragon and priest's 4-cost dragon thingie that gets buffed when you use a spell on it!

Those have been my ideal opening hands with dragon-priest (driest?), twilight whelp, fairy dragon, that 3-cost lady that gets buffed if you have a dragon, hungry dragon, etc.

Still testing, but it's not completely bad.
    Not having chows gives you the option to use those card slots for something else.

ed: AND TWILIGHT DRAKE AND AZURE DRAKE! Both non-fatty dragons that will smooth out your curve real well and not bad units at all. I think the only fatty dragon I run in my Driest deck is Ysera.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

Spot on. Healing your opponent for 5 during the first 3 or 4 turns doesn't do anything at all. It's not a downside. The only thing the twilight whelp does is activate dragon fondling cards later in the game, like when you have a Corrupter in hand and you need him to rub a dragon for luck and drain a 3. I wish he was an Azure Whelp, 2/1 draw a card if you've got a dragon. I'm always thirsty for more cards in my hand, but a 2/3 that can get earth shocked away and sometimes gets stuck in my hand isn't very exciting.

On the topic of Rez, Kripp has a decent video with a decklist that features Resurrect. I think he's got a couple of cards in there that are easy subs, too, so it's a good base to experiment from. I like to have a pair of Wild Pyromancers in my Rez decks because they activate on Rez, making it easier to play them on curve and still get their effect. 2 injured blademasters, 2 dark cultists and you've got the foundation of a solid build. After that it's just a matter of cutting cards that would be poor rez value and subbing in things that would be amazing if they cost 2 mana. That means cutting a lot of battlecry cards and belchers/shredders and bringing back Taz'dingos and mech yetis, or something similar.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

No I agree, I don't think Dragon decks are very strong in general and particularly not Dragon Priest. I only like Hungry Dragon in Priest because it's a potentially very threatening 4 drop with a downside that's mitigated by Priest's buffs/hero power/sweeping.

• Options
    Using ressurect is probably a major crapshoot.

It's like using ancestors call when your hand consists of 4 8 mana legendaries, and a 1 mana angry sargent. Your going to get the sargent.

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    like when you have a Corrupter in hand and you need him to rub a dragon for luck and drain a 3

You are my hero.

I still love the idea of dragon decks, but they just are so slow. Like the opposite of mech decks.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm hoping the next expansion pack has cards that focus on board positioning play. Minions and spells that grant affects based on positioning and so forth. Like, a 3 mana 3/3 that gains +1/+1 and Taunt if positioned between two minions. Stuff like that.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I think there are decks that can be built around the idea of Resurrect that are very strong (only 3+ drops, load it with strong minions, lots of removal), but like Dragon decks they're too slow and greedy for the current meta of extremely strong midrange/combo decks.

Priest in general is probably the weakest class in the game at the moment.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

I know it's boring, but I've been most consistent with the mage. I've had some fun with the Warrior and Priest, too. I haven't really given the other classes a fair shake, but I don't have a ton of free time, so I'll probably stick with just a couple for now.

It's far from a top tier deck now, but Mech Mage was huge not too long ago and still does decently. It uses a ton of commons from GvG so you may want to start mixing those packs in. You won't easily get ahold of the 2 legends the deck usually uses but could throw in Loatheb and Kelthuzad as place holders.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular

It's far from a top tier deck now, but Mech Mage was huge not too long ago and still does decently. It uses a ton of commons from GvG so you may want to start mixing those packs in. You won't easily get ahold of the 2 legends the deck usually uses but could throw in Loatheb and Kelthuzad as place holders.

Mech mage is still very playable. It doesn't do great against the top tier decks, but up to about Rank 10-12, it wins a lot more than it loses.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    Machinegun Mage is better than Mech Mage and is a better deck, though.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/237062-machine-gun-mage

It crushes the fucking piss out of zoo and facehunter, which are pluses, and it's too fast out of the gates for control paladin or warrior to really ever get a good position to recover from. It sucks against handlock, demonlock or ramp druid, though.

• Options
    I linked to the wrong one but that's fine, the one I was thinking of uses Duplicate instead of MI, Arcane Explosion instead of Loot Hoarder and Flamecannon instead of Fireball.