Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Case Suggestions

EliminationElimination Registered User regular
Going to be picking up a new case for the new PC build in the next month or two, not sure what the go to choice is these days. I have a mATX Board, a full size video card and PSU, one HDD but I will be adding an SSD in the future. I would prefer one I can also put my internal blu-ray burner in, though it is not a deal-breaking to have to ditch it and use an external one, its just a preference. I won't be doing any crossfire/sli stuff.

The smaller the case the better. I also have been looking at a few of those sound-dampening cases which also appeals to me.

So far I have been eyeing the steam-castle but its pretty ugly, but I like that it's functional. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
Elimination on

Posts

  • ThrackThrack Registered User regular
    I recently got a Define R4 from Fractal Design and I really like it. It's a mid-tower, which may be a little big, but they have a smaller version called the Define Mini which still supports Micro ATX. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352011

    image-1_zpsdcb9eee1.png
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Thrack wrote: »
    I recently got a Define R4 from Fractal Design and I really like it. It's a mid-tower, which may be a little big, but they have a smaller version called the Define Mini which still supports Micro ATX. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352011

    I was actually eyeing that one earlier today. How silent is it really?

    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    The Fractal Define cases are very quiet. You just need to be doing the things that make a computer quiet - controlling fan speeds, fewer fans, bigger fans (120 or 140mm).

    Have you checked out http://silentpcreview.com/ ?

    steam_sig.png
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    The Fractal Define cases are very quiet. You just need to be doing the things that make a computer quiet - controlling fan speeds, fewer fans, bigger fans (120 or 140mm).

    Have you checked out http://silentpcreview.com/ ?

    This is the first i've ever heard of that site.

    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell CharlottesvilleRegistered User regular
    i just built a new PC with the Define R5, the newer version of the R4. the thing is quiet, even with the top vents open for a watercooling rad. it's kind of amazing. it helps that the sides of the PC are lined with sound dampening material.

    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    Elimination
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    You can get any of the quite cases to work well, it's going to come down to how you configure the inside.

  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Well i have a low-profile silent CPU cooler installed (I forgot the brand, but it works well.) and my 960 seems to naturally be quiet, despite being OC'd and having 2 fans. Otherwise everything else is par for the course, modular PSU, 16gb Ram, standard size blu-ray burner ect. All i want is a not-garish non-glowing case that doesnt have 10 thousand noisy fans, and is the proper small form factor for my mATX board. A silent case sounds def up my alley.

    Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    The silent computer check list is...
    • A case with a straight path airflow, sound proofed panels, vent filters, and a PSU mounted so that its intake faces the exterior (usually bottom). Straight path airflow = faster heat removal = cooler interior = fans can run slower = quieter. Vent filters = less dust inside = less heat buildup due to dust = cooler = quieter. PSU pulling air from outside = cooler PSU = PSU fan running slower = quieter.
    • A PSU who's fan doesn't even turn on at low load levels. It helps to have a bigger PSU than necessary, like 2x or 3x bigger, to keep the PSU within its fanless load range.
    • A CPU cooler designed around a large fan (120+ mm).
    • Large fans (120+ mm) running at slow speeds, from manufacturers who provide db ratings. This may mean replacing the CPU cooler's fan as well as all the case fans.
    • Non-reference GPU, as the reference ones typically have a single small fan, compared to 2 or 3 larger fans for the non-reference designs.
    • Positive air pressure, aka, more intake than outtake airflow, so that hot/dusty air isn't being sucked back into the case.
    • A SSD for your OS, games, and main applications.
    • Slower rotating hard drives for general storage, as fast HDs have a loud whine. If you did all of the above, you'll actually hear your HDs spin up, because everything else will be quieter. If you need more speed from your HDs, put them in a mirrored raid 1 setup.
    • And if you can, wait for the 2nd or 3rd generation of a CPU. For example, the 1st gen i7 chip ran 130 watts, 2nd gen 95W, and 3rd gen 77W. Even waiting for the 2nd gen i7 meant a 30% heat savings, which means your CPU cooler fan could run 30% slower. Not an issue currently, as we're on the 4th gen chips, but it makes a difference when the underlying chip architecture changes.

    hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
    EliminationBahamutZEROSmokeStacksBouwsT
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    hsu wrote: »
    The silent computer check list is...
    • A SSD for your OS, games, and main applications.
    • Slower rotating hard drives for general storage, as fast HDs have a loud whine. If you did all of the above, you'll actually hear your HDs spin up, because everything else will be quieter. If you need more speed from your HDs, put them in a mirrored raid 1 setup.

    Also, SSD prices are coming down SO FAR, a person could consider a 1TB SSD and be done with a traditional HDD all together. We're looking at $0.50/GB, consistently on sale and It's only going to be getting better from here.

    As Gaslight put it so aptly in the Computer Build Thread,
    Gaslight wrote: »
    What a time to be alive.

    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
    chrishallett83
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    @BouwsT, I lament being a freak of nature, because 1 TB is nowhere close to accounting for my OS, all of my games, my (rather small) music collection and my apparently freakishly large collection of old films, TV shows and laserdisc rips that are not really available on any other medium. I've already filed up one WD 1 TB, and am close to filling another. I will probably have to drop ~$150 for a 4TB from Western Digital in the near future. I have 2 256 GB SSDs, and only because one of them is from my previous build.

    That, and I think spending $500 GB for only 1TB is insane, when I could get a (probably Nvidia) GPU that nearly rips a hole and space and time for the same amount.

    (I blame everything going digital. Damn you, digital renaissance. You couldn't wait for US internet to stop sucking first? :( )

    To get back on point, I've got a Fractal Define R4, and am likewise happy with it. I'm not entirely sure what the R5's differences are (aside from being $50 more expensive, I think?), but aside from its extremely impressive sound-dampening qualities, it's very effective to keep dust-free and clean. As previously stated, what you'll end up hearing is your platter-based drives (in my case, regularly accessing them isn't loud, it's things like antivirus scans and the period immediately after bootup that is audible).

    So I think it's an excellent choice. I can't speak to ease of assembly (I paid $45 for NCIX to put my motherboard and CPU in), but hard drives and basic things like that are fairly easy to manage, so that's a plus.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    @BouwsT, I lament being a freak of nature, because 1 TB is nowhere close to accounting for my OS, all of my games, my (rather small) music collection and my apparently freakishly large collection of old films, TV shows and laserdisc rips that are not really available on any other medium. I've already filed up one WD 1 TB, and am close to filling another. I will probably have to drop ~$150 for a 4TB from Western Digital in the near future. I have 2 256 GB SSDs, and only because one of them is from my previous build.

    That, and I think spending $500 GB for only 1TB is insane, when I could get a (probably Nvidia) GPU that nearly rips a hole and space and time for the same amount.

    (I blame everything going digital. Damn you, digital renaissance. You couldn't wait for US internet to stop sucking first? :( )

    To get back on point, I've got a Fractal Define R4, and am likewise happy with it. I'm not entirely sure what the R5's differences are (aside from being $50 more expensive, I think?), but aside from its extremely impressive sound-dampening qualities, it's very effective to keep dust-free and clean. As previously stated, what you'll end up hearing is your platter-based drives (in my case, regularly accessing them isn't loud, it's things like antivirus scans and the period immediately after bootup that is audible).

    So I think it's an excellent choice. I can't speak to ease of assembly (I paid $45 for NCIX to put my motherboard and CPU in), but hard drives and basic things like that are fairly easy to manage, so that's a plus.

    Don't store your media collection on an OS drive. I have a 500GB OS drive, but all media storage lives on a large spinning drive. Also has the advantage that if I need to re-install windows I don't have to worry about data migration. It took me exactly one time of having to find a place to migrate 1.5TB of data when I had my OS installed on a 2TB drive to decide I never wanted to do that again.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    chrishallett83Echo
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    @BouwsT, I lament being a freak of nature, because 1 TB is nowhere close to accounting for my OS, all of my games, my (rather small) music collection and my apparently freakishly large collection of old films, TV shows and laserdisc rips that are not really available on any other medium. I've already filed up one WD 1 TB, and am close to filling another. I will probably have to drop ~$150 for a 4TB from Western Digital in the near future. I have 2 256 GB SSDs, and only because one of them is from my previous build.

    That, and I think spending $500 GB for only 1TB is insane, when I could get a (probably Nvidia) GPU that nearly rips a hole and space and time for the same amount.

    (I blame everything going digital. Damn you, digital renaissance. You couldn't wait for US internet to stop sucking first? :( )

    To get back on point, I've got a Fractal Define R4, and am likewise happy with it. I'm not entirely sure what the R5's differences are (aside from being $50 more expensive, I think?), but aside from its extremely impressive sound-dampening qualities, it's very effective to keep dust-free and clean. As previously stated, what you'll end up hearing is your platter-based drives (in my case, regularly accessing them isn't loud, it's things like antivirus scans and the period immediately after bootup that is audible).

    So I think it's an excellent choice. I can't speak to ease of assembly (I paid $45 for NCIX to put my motherboard and CPU in), but hard drives and basic things like that are fairly easy to manage, so that's a plus.

    Don't store your media collection on an OS drive. I have a 500GB OS drive, but all media storage lives on a large spinning drive. Also has the advantage that if I need to re-install windows I don't have to worry about data migration. It took me exactly one time of having to find a place to migrate 1.5TB of data when I had my OS installed on a 2TB drive to decide I never wanted to do that again.

    I don't-where did you get the impression that I do? That's what those two SSDs are for (one has my OS on it, the other is less full and occupied entirely by games as well).

    EDIT: For clarity, media goes on those Western Digitals I keep filling up. It's the only way to go, I'd drown an SSD with just part of my TV series collection.

    Synthesis on
    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Guys, please remove the @ symbol if you're going to use quotes so that I'm not bat signaled every time someone replies.

    The topic on hand was noise, and the SSD will always be quieter than traditional hard drives. I only brought it up because I can remember a time not so long ago that the SSD was only a supplement to the HDD because they were FAR too expensive. Also, we were marveling about it in the Build thread, and it seemed relevant to bring it up here. You can do away with HDD's in some instances, but one certainly doesn't have to if the situation merits them.

    Let's not sully this thread by going off topic.

    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
    Elimination
  • hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Synthesis, if you really care about your data, you need to either put them on mirrored raid 1 HDs (I use Windows 7's built in raid with Previous Versions turned on), or regularly back them up to a separate HD. Otherwise you're just a drive crash away from losing your data. If you go raid 1, go Western Digital Reds, or another drive with error recovery control, a feature not found on non-raid drives.

    iTNdmYl.png
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    I actually did order an SSD, but it is to supliment a much larger HDD. I need both the larger ones space and I want the speed of the SSD for my OS and a couple games.

    On the topic of cases I ended up going with the Bitfenix Prodigy M as it hit most of the marks for me.

    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    BouwsT
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    hsu wrote: »
    Synthesis, if you really care about your data, you need to either put them on mirrored raid 1 HDs (I use Windows 7's built in raid with Previous Versions turned on), or regularly back them up to a separate HD. Otherwise you're just a drive crash away from losing your data. If you go raid 1, go Western Digital Reds, or another drive with error recovery control, a feature not found on non-raid drives.

    ...actually, I think I'm okay. I've dealt with HDD failures before (mostly the click of death), though pleasantly, never with anything from Western Digital. And I've never really had a need for a raid setup. Instead, I just have physical backups of everything the hardest to replace.

    But thanks? We should probably keep this at least somewhat related to Elimination's initial request. And yes, going full SSD is hard to recommend to anyone who keeps any kind of media library, or more than a few games.

    Synthesis on
    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    On the topic of cases I ended up going with the Bitfenix Prodigy M as it hit most of the marks for me.

    That looks sweet, you'll have to let us know how that goes when you start assembly, and how the noise levels are when you're up and running. Congrats!

    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    On the topic of cases I ended up going with the Bitfenix Prodigy M as it hit most of the marks for me.

    That looks sweet, you'll have to let us know how that goes when you start assembly, and how the noise levels are when you're up and running. Congrats!

    So, woe is me I killed my Mobo between hardware migration. It happens. I got a new (and better one.) installed now. The prodigy M has been good, noise levels are totally acceptable and thats with 2 extra, much larger fans than my old case. Cable management is a bit of a nightmare though, if I didn't have a modular PSU I think that it would have been a really big problem instead of an annoyance. There is really not much space to route cables in the back plate, so you end up having to tuck and tie most of the cable slack above the power supply (which is mounted at the front of the case, sideways.) everything in the case is also mounted upside-down, which honestly I like because it now causes my dual-fan GPU cooler's fans to aim toward the vent at the top of the case rather than downward toward the bottom, so air-flow is actually better despite the aformentioned cable issues.

    Otherwise case is great, looks nice and is small in size just what I wanted. Just setting up the SSD now as i type this, gonna go with a fresh win install.

    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    chrishallett83BouwsT
  • webguy20webguy20 Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    hsu wrote: »
    Synthesis, if you really care about your data, you need to either put them on mirrored raid 1 HDs (I use Windows 7's built in raid with Previous Versions turned on), or regularly back them up to a separate HD. Otherwise you're just a drive crash away from losing your data. If you go raid 1, go Western Digital Reds, or another drive with error recovery control, a feature not found on non-raid drives.

    ...actually, I think I'm okay. I've dealt with HDD failures before (mostly the click of death), though pleasantly, never with anything from Western Digital. And I've never really had a need for a raid setup. Instead, I just have physical backups of everything the hardest to replace.

    But thanks? We should probably keep this at least somewhat related to Elimination's initial request. And yes, going full SSD is hard to recommend to anyone who keeps any kind of media library, or more than a few games.

    To for the quietest case move the spinner media drives to a separate home server, then stream the media wherever you want. You can also backup your played steam games to the server so you can keep them off the smaller SSDs in the main rig.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I've been in the concept phase of building a new computer for a while now. Thinking it'll be sometime in the fall/winter when I actually get around to it (to let those Windows 10 kinks get worked loose).

    So far the top case contender for me is the nzxt h440. It might not be the best in all areas, but just looking at it I can't help but feel it's just a desperately pretty case. I've looked around at others, and have had great cases in the past, like the define cases from fractal design, and others from antec.

    I've also, on the topic of silent things, been looking at and considering a closed loop cpu cooler. Anyone with experience with these? From what I've seen they have a lower thermal threshold than the standard heatsinks (higher idle temps but lower on load) but I'm not too sure the added price is justified. I've been a fan of my coolermaster hyper 212 Evo, as it's quiet, cools really well, and is only 30$ on a bad day.

    dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || WiiU: dav3yWii || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I will speak to the effectiveness of the AIO (all in one, AKA: closed loop) cooler option, and just like with anything, you get what you pay for. Cheaper AIO's will not cool as effectively as more expensive ones but, as a rule, they will be cooler than an air cooler.

    Whether you need that extra thermal headroom, that is another debate. If you're just doing mild overclocks, you should have no trouble with an EVO 212.

    I've built in a couple NZXT cases, and they've always been a pretty damn good value.

    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
Sign In or Register to comment.