As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pinny Pals Podcast: PAX WEST Pin Discussions and MORE!

• Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    (CW)TB not sure what cw stands for, tb is tycho brahe, obv

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
  • Options
    Qumaden wrote: »
    Clan Walrus

for realsies?

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    AjaxonAjaxon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
  • Options
  • Options
    Damnit, now I have something else to add to my list of things to get signed.

• Options
    Bonus multiplier for a signed DLC pin...

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    Bonus multiplier for a signed DLC pin...

I hate.

I don't hate you, I don't hate the fact that I don't have a DLC pin. That statement has simply turned me into a raw engine of hatred.

• Options
    So are the signed pins for episode 6 competition or 7? Because i cant see 7 yet

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular
    So are the signed pins for episode 6 competition or 7? Because i cant see 7 yet

Upcoming 7. Just a sneak preview :)

• Options
    purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    I am finishing up the editing on Episode 7 right now. Should be up by Saturday at the lastest. This one has been a beast and a half to edit.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Looking forward to listening to it.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    Ep. 7 should be live now. You have 2 weeks from today to get your entries to Frostbyte. I am really looking forward to reading them.

• Options
    FFFFWWWAAAAAAA! 2.5 hours, guys! I know we're all excited but damn! Going to carve out my evening tonight to listen, sure it will be great and fun as always, cant wait!

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    FFFFWWWAAAAAAA! 2.5 hours, guys! I know we're all excited but damn! Going to carve out my evening tonight to listen, sure it will be great and fun as always, cant wait!

It was much longer before I edited it down. Blame PA for releasing a ton of pins :)

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I'm about half way done and I guess I'll comment on the topic of number of pins:

1. Pedro is right first off. 13 of these pins will be available for a good year (granted not everyone goes to multiple PAXes, but there's tons of opportunity to get them.
    2. UTILIZE THE TRADING EVENT ON SUNDAY! At East I saw almost every pin available at East (and even a lot from Prime) pop up on the various tables of the staff. I want to say the only pins I couldn't see on the tables from East 2014 was Leeroy, Ellie, D&D and the Fightstick. D&D wasn't available yet so that one makes sense (even though I got mine right after the trade event by just talking to people walking over from the board game area). Leeroy, nobody was letting that thing go if they got one, and the fightstick... let's not talk about that one. Regardless by the time Saturday ended, I had every pin, so yay.
    3. A lot of booths that have pins this time won't generate a lot of traffic IMO. The Don't Starve pin, personally I see being super easy to get, along with a few others that are similar.

I think the Next Level pin will be the most annoying to get, but we don't know the details yet iirc, and then maybe Sunset Overdrive I just assume will have huge lines, but I hope it's handed out similar to Second Son's pin last year, to everyone. Also Blizzard's pins are probably going to suck to get, because fuck waiting in line to play HotS.

I'm ecstatic The Behemoth only has 2 pins, because I hate and love the randomness at the same time. I spent a lot of time near the booth just trading pins, though again the pin trading event would've been easier and saved money... but oh well. I love The Behemoth, but 8 pins at Prime last year was too much for one company IMO.

I hope WeLoveFine's pins are easy to get, as in buy a set and be done, but what do I know.

Rantrantrant I'm not sure where I'm going with this at this point. I guess I'll continue listening to the podcast since you're now talking about the Blizzard pins.

• Options
    I can compare the situation to a cute puppy that shits on your carpet..... Theyve given me alot of hard work to do... But i just cant stay mad at them...

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    .....ill learn to post one day...

Ayefkay on

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Great episode again, guys! For all the "FFFWWWAAA"'ing i did before, i really do enjoy the longer episodes. If I heard correctly you are thinking of getting some guests for the Aus episode. If time permits i am interested! And Pureval, mate! We need to open your gaming horizons a little more! Sucks to hear about your PS3, admittedly i'd be pissed too. But Sony in general have really been killing it with games in the past 5-6 years.

And now to get started on that Haikhoo.....

Ayefkay on

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Post them after you send it in everyone.
    I see Robert Khoo
    I should not have called him Bob
    Banned from PAX this year

• Options
    adambargadambarg Forward the Pinglorious Basterds!Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Drunk pin pal starts fight
    Rob knocks him back with lanyard
    Khoo-laid man breaks wall

adambarg on
    ChMDm4Y.png
  • Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Spectacular.

• Options
    NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    I'm about half way done and I guess I'll comment on the topic of number of pins:

1. Pedro is right first off. 13 of these pins will be available for a good year (granted not everyone goes to multiple PAXes, but there's tons of opportunity to get them.
    2. UTILIZE THE TRADING EVENT ON SUNDAY! At East I saw almost every pin available at East (and even a lot from Prime) pop up on the various tables of the staff. I want to say the only pins I couldn't see on the tables from East 2014 was Leeroy, Ellie, D&D and the Fightstick. D&D wasn't available yet so that one makes sense (even though I got mine right after the trade event by just talking to people walking over from the board game area). Leeroy, nobody was letting that thing go if they got one, and the fightstick... let's not talk about that one. Regardless by the time Saturday ended, I had every pin, so yay.
    3. A lot of booths that have pins this time won't generate a lot of traffic IMO. The Don't Starve pin, personally I see being super easy to get, along with a few others that are similar.

I think the Next Level pin will be the most annoying to get, but we don't know the details yet iirc, and then maybe Sunset Overdrive I just assume will have huge lines, but I hope it's handed out similar to Second Son's pin last year, to everyone. Also Blizzard's pins are probably going to suck to get, because fuck waiting in line to play HotS.

I'm ecstatic The Behemoth only has 2 pins, because I hate and love the randomness at the same time. I spent a lot of time near the booth just trading pins, though again the pin trading event would've been easier and saved money... but oh well. I love The Behemoth, but 8 pins at Prime last year was too much for one company IMO.

I hope WeLoveFine's pins are easy to get, as in buy a set and be done, but what do I know.

Rantrantrant I'm not sure where I'm going with this at this point. I guess I'll continue listening to the podcast since you're now talking about the Blizzard pins.

Pedro is WRONG. TOOOO MAAAANNNY PINS. (he's right, but shhh.)

• Options
    Great episode again, guys! For all the "FFFWWWAAA"'ing i did before, i really do enjoy the longer episodes. If I heard correctly you are thinking of getting some guests for the Aus episode. If time permits i am interested! And Pureval, mate! We need to open your gaming horizons a little more! Sucks to hear about your PS3, admittedly i'd be pissed too. But Sony in general have really been killing it with games in the past 5-6 years.

And now to get started on that Haikhoo.....

My gaming horizon is "limited" for a couple of reasons.
    1. I have severe motion sickness playing anything first person, even if it is for a short time. This keeps me from playing many of the "best" games on other systems.
    2. I have very limited time and for gaming and a very limited budget to do it. I focus on my favorite games as much as possible. Those are Nintendo franchises.
    3. My backlog stretches back to the SNES era. I have some NES games I have picked up fairly recently I have barely touched. I do not have time to waste playing a 200 hour long game. The main reason I am unlikely to finish Xenoblade any time soon.
    4. I have kids. I have to play games that are appropriate for them to see. T rated games are iffy, M are a total no go. I used a week's vacation just to play GTA V.
    5. Access to systems. My PC is pretty old at this point and is most certainly not gamer level at all. I do not have the cash to purchase a "new gen" system. I got my PS3 for exactly 2 reasons. My beloved 3 disc dvd player died and I wanted a blu ray player and I wanted to play GTA V and it looked like it was not coming to Wii U. I played GTA V until I finished the main story, never touched online at all. I messed around with a couple of downloads. I played some of Sly Cooper and that was about it. Most of my games have never seen the inside of the system. It was mostly used for the kids to watch movies. How it died with that little use is beyond me.

• Options
    Very true, man. No disrespect here :) I forget sometimes the life of a single male in their mid 20's is very different to that of an "actual" adult person.

Though we are all susceptable to malfunctioning tech. My Xbox One's Kinect was malfunctioning after 2 weeks out of the box. So i definitely know the feeling.

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Becker is how I usually say it. I use the Beeker avatar to be confusing. I have no preference on what people call me and answer to both.

Glad you got good use out of my question. I'll try to think up some more good ones for the future.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    Manic2kManic2k Brotherhood of the Squirrel [AUS]Registered User regular
    I read it as Becker, but Beeker makes sense too... I am going to take to calling you Becker Beeker or Beeker Becker.

Pinny arcade - Pin Pals community page: www.facebook.com/pinnypals
    Community Pinny Arcade Trading web site: http://www.pinnypals.com
    Pinny Arcade - Pin Pals twitter: @PA_PinPals
    SubReddit:http://www.reddit.com/r/pinnypals
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pinnypals
  • Options
    FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular
    "We have clearance Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector Victor?"

• Options
    Manic2kManic2k Brotherhood of the Squirrel [AUS]Registered User regular
    Frostbyte wrote: »
    "We have clearance Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector Victor?"

haha xD

Pinny arcade - Pin Pals community page: www.facebook.com/pinnypals
    Community Pinny Arcade Trading web site: http://www.pinnypals.com
    Pinny Arcade - Pin Pals twitter: @PA_PinPals
    SubReddit:http://www.reddit.com/r/pinnypals
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pinnypals
  • Options
    Spy112Spy112 VancouverRegistered User regular
    Great Cast guys. Thanks a lot. Totally Hyped up for Prime this year. It is the one true PAX despite what other people might say.

As for comments from the podcast, I agree with Pedro that playing demos is a great idea for certain booths to gain interest in their game and get people playing it that wouldn’t usually ever see it. And after they leave the show every time they see that pin, they are now reminded about that demo. The marketing guys hope to create a relationship between that pin and the game they are trying to sell you. Creates an attachment to the pin and game.

I think you also see a lot less large game pins like an Ubisoft AC pin because those games already have multimillion dollar marketing budgets that are going to reach a much larger spectrum of people. As a pin campaign at a PAX event is much cheaper and targets specifically people of PAX. It’s a great way to get people to check out smaller IPs. Sure its would be awesome to see big name games throw out some pins but I understand it from a marketing perspective that that money can be spent better elsewhere other than oversaturating a target market that you will already reach with your main campaign.

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Khoo in Business School
    We Don't Need to Use Their Rules
    Why Yes, That's My Nuke

• Options
    FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I spy DLC
    Tackle Khoo And Rip It Off
    Flee Pin Pals Saw Me

Fitzchivalry on
  • Options
    When I first heard the contest the only thing I could think of was http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll3uipTO-4A

Money money Mon
    ey money money money
    Almighty dollar

Don't think it works that well haha

• Options
    adambargadambarg Forward the Pinglorious Basterds!Registered User regular
    Rob saves web comic
    None more impressed than pigeons
    "Khoo," they sing. "Khoo. Khoo."

ChMDm4Y.png
  • Options
    MozleronMozleron WotC Build engineer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    What frustrated me last year was the booth that had the random wheel you had to spin after you went through their demo where one of the possible prizes was a pin. Luckily, one of the guys hooked me up with the pin i needed, after i hung around the booth for almost a half hour trying to trade with people coming out of it.

As for other booths, if they're going to make you do something like play a demo to get a pin, then they REALLY need to set that demo up in a very high throughput sort of way, ie, multiple booths/stations to get multiple players going through at a time. Having to wait in line for an hour or more is just not a good way to build buzz or goodwill with your potential customers and fans.

I also like the "gift shop" idea where you can just go to the exit of the booth and buy the pin if you don't want to wait in line to get it for free.

• Options
    00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    Mozleron wrote: »
    What frustrated me last year was the booth that had the random wheel you had to spin after you went through their demo where one of the possible prizes was a pin. Luckily, one of the guys hooked me up with the pin i needed, after i hung around the booth for almost a half hour trying to trade with people coming out of it.

The thing about Hidden Path's wheel was that the line usually took 5 minutes, and the demo took 5 minutes. I played that demo continuously bc I enjoyed it(and hadn't started collecting yet). I know people hated spinning the wheel…but it really took no time to get through the line again. I had about 20 of those pins within about 2 hours bc my friends and I were enjoying playing it so much.

• Options
    DiffusionDiffusion Pin Cushion OmahaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Mad Science Jerry
    Made Perfect Organism
    The Legend Khoo-Two

ym06yjslux3d.png

Diffusion on
    Everyone's favorite "Bag of Pinny", Proud member of The Pin Cushions, Prinny hat pinster.

My pins are right here!
    Feel free to send me a trade request!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Ping Pong Champion
    Penny Arcade Overlord
    Pax is in his Debt

edit spelling

Spy112 on
  • Options
    NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular