As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Devil May Cry 5 Announced: MY GRANDFATHER IS TOO POWERFUL

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Here are my predictions because I like to set myself up for disappointment

Jan 16th: Style Switch is added
    Jan 30th: They added playable Lady
    Feb 13th: Dante is in Smash

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Wild prediction: online co-op mode.

Everyone forgets that DMC3 technically has co-op.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

A second player is supposed to be able to control the doppelganger, right? I think they might not have included that in the HD version. At least it isn't working for me on PC.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »

A second player is supposed to be able to control the doppelganger, right? I think they might not have included that in the HD version. At least it isn't working for me on PC.

Yeah, at least on the PS2 versions a second player could control the doppelganger and Vergil in the Arkham fight (because he's just a variant of Doppelganger style). It wasn't very practical without Super Dante but it still worked.

• Options
    Actually nevermind, instead of playable Lady I'm gonna say they're adding Vergil's motivation meter from DMC4SE

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    So yeah Nintendo pretty much leaked style switching on their website, complete with screenshots with the name of your currently equipped style at the top left of the screen

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Here are my predictions because I like to set myself up for disappointment

Jan 16th: Style Switch is added
    Jan 30th: They added playable Lady
    Feb 13th: Dante is in Smash

Part of me is kind of surprised Dante hasn't been considered before.

Though I suppose the franchise was firmly a staple of Playstation before going multiplatform (i.e. to Xbox 360--it was already on PC). DMC4 never came to a Nintendo platform. DMC5 presumably won't unsurprisingly either.

So, 50-50?

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Alright so someone found an image on the japanese nintendo website that straight up shows the 4 styles being mapped to the 4 dpad buttons. But since that's all that was found, I'm thinking the other things they announce aren't going to be dmc3-related

Maybe they'll finally show that DMC animated series they announced like a year ago?

Also maybe the stars will align and we'll get some more DMC5.

edit: Oh, or maybe they'll let you equip more than 2 weapons or guns at a time?

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    One big thing I would like is for them to maybe rework the stages so that you could pick whoever after your first playthrough.

I enjoyed the game for the most part but a big problem I had is you never really get that much time with any character.

• Options
    I'm actually completely fine with the number of stages each character got in 5, it's all split fairly evenly with no real "bad" levels.

That being said if I could play any level with any character I'd lose my mind.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Just got around to trying this. Loved the character models and the characters themselves, story was silly nonsense but I’m ok with that as I haven’t really played the others. The environments were pretty drab and ugly, especially compared to the character models

Combat was great but way better in son of Sparda on my second run. Tho I really struggled with bosses. I was doing fine most of the time, but the last bosses in 18 and 19 used up like 15 gold orbs cos I just kept dying. I just can’t dodge that fast and my brain can’t see what’s going on. At a certain point I reach my like ceiling of brain power and then it’s all downhill. But I can tell there’s lots of counters and strategies to learn even if I’ll never be able to do like super S combos all the time, I like that you can Rock Paper Scissors with your attacks v enemies

Prohass on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Also I loved the way V played, it was so unusual and fun, really dug it

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Man, I don’t know what it is, but I can’t seem to get a proper handle on Dante in DMC5. Even after I equipped him with just sword and Cerberus, which was what I used all the time in DMC3. I dunno, he just feels really overwhelming and rash to screw up in this one.

Or maybe I’m just better with Nero, since all his stuff is there in one set of things.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i would say

pick a single weapon/gun/style and just see what u can do with it without thinking about switching or anything complex

i found that all the wepaons had enough to them that u could spend ages just messing with single weapons (i chose bantam), but even stuff like the shotguns have so many small fun things built into them. for example the knee slide has iframes on it and if those immune an attack you get slow motion

and then just build a vocabulary of moves u like. and once u have a few different moves that do different things u want u then just start putting in trickster

because dmc5 has a really well developed parry system u can literally try and solve every enemy in the game using almost any tool u care to name

wanna use real impact as a parry? want to use just the damage from ur jump to interrupt an enemy mid attack? etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VwEgCTukWQ&feature=youtu.be

fuck it theres a tell and timing that makes it 100%. etc. and once u have mastered an enemy with one toolset u will master them with another instantly because ur now just learning one thing. but the weapons in this are much more complex than in dmc3. the moment u go to having this strong feeling when u are or are not going to attack all that feeling of panic goes away and u can start to do stuff with intentionality which is where it gets fun, but its a MUCH bigger jump than in previous dmcs if u try and do lots of stuff at once

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Very good points. I think I will start out using the sword, because god damn is the sword bonkers in this game. For gun, I really want to get good with Faust, but even practicing with it is risky, lol. I’ll figure something out on that front.

Trickster would be easiest sthle to learn, but it would be so satisfying to master Royalguard. Either way, I think it’ll be good to get comfortable with one defensive style, and be ready to go Swordmaster when a Damage window is open.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    also definitely worth labbing some of the enemies

i found furies a little bit ? when i first started because they have some slightly ambiguous tells and have very defined "you cant hit me" behaviour

so i labbed it on nero with the restriction that my "defensive action" was gerbera to avoid over thinking it and that made playing dante that much easier, because i was only have to learn dante not the enemies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_lb90guj6I&feature=youtu.be

there are some missions that have really nicely placed checkpoints and fights for testing individual enemy types in a non-training room encounter, particular important for eg the lizard dudes who tend to show up in packs

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Good idea.

I totally should try out at least that jerk. Using the lab to test what timings work for Royalguard would also be useful. But the trick of using Gerbera is a good idea, because it’s basically like most dodge options, but not as forgiving as Trickster.

• Options
    very useful to make a list of:

1) what is my longest non-switching air combo
    2) what is my basic launcher
    3) what is my basic ground combo
    4) what is my aerial gap closer
    5) what is my grounded gap closer
    6) what is my defensive action

every weapon has basically all of those including defensive actions - bantam has the dodge, for example. but if you can feel like you can go from gap close, grounded combo, launcher, aerial combo, --> continuation? then u have a gameplan already. much easier to play by modifying an existing complete gameplan - oh yeah i can use stinger as a gap closer here because the shotgun will stun this big mob and then i can beat them up with my gun, or i dont have an aerial gap closer with bantam that works horizontally or at this distance, so i can use trickster teleport to extend what i can do up here - than to not have one!

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I would also like to point out that being overwhelmed by Dante’s kit is completely normal because it is nuts.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Has anyone been able to start a new game of devil may cry 5 on steam? The game doesn’t have an option for it. I tried following the instructions I googled but no matter how many times I delete the save data it seems to recreate itself.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Has anyone been able to start a new game of devil may cry 5 on steam? The game doesn’t have an option for it. I tried following the instructions I googled but no matter how many times I delete the save data it seems to recreate itself.

Try also disabling Steam Cloud. There should be a checkbox in the have properties in Steam.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    I am seriously considering putting Dante’s Weapon switches on circle and triangle, just because trying to use DSD in Swordmaster makes me so annoyed with how suboptimal I can do it when Style is on circle. And to be honest, it’s the same with anything in this game where you’d want to hit button while simultaneously doing melee (Nero’s Gun, Griffin, the Book)

How weird is it when this game makes me think that a face button is just an inefficient location to put a main action.

Enlong on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Everytime the DMC thread gets updated I go looking for more sick combo videos. Rarely am I disappointed. And the theme of the day is, Dante making you look bad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHjDlaNvBxk

• Options
    And I went and rearranged everyone else’s buttons for good measure. I think this will help, if my muscle memory ever adjusts.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Well, it appears I've had some sort of massive breakthrough with V, because my Bloody Palace attempt with him today took me further than I've gone with any of the characters! I got all the way to floor 79 before Malphas (who I haven't fought since my initial run through the story, lol) took me out with some extremely meaty hits.

I think it was doing practice runs vs Cavaliere Angelo that got me properly making use of V's attacks. That and rearranging some buttons. I'm no longer just mashing in a panic whenever I get into a fight with V; I'm actually doing some combos with his familiars, now! My favorite so far is to have Shadow do the uppercut and spinning blade while Griffin peppers the enemy with rapid shots to keep them up. Then I end it by slapping the enemy with Hedgehog when he hits the ground. Fighting Cavaliere was the perfect opportunity to really learn what moves are good for clashing, what moves are good for interrupting a boss, when to use V's dodges to call back the familiars, and what moves are really, really good for smacking an enemy when they're stunned (the giant spike face and the close-ranged zap). That helped turn around how I'm using V, and he's really fun that way.

I'm still having trouble remembering to use Nightmare as anything other than a panic button, though, even though I know that he's perfect to summon in a big brawl to get those Green Gainer and White Gainer effects. Mostly I end up using DT on turbocharging Griffin so that he cheats out his various charge moves. Ideally I should be able to use Nightmare to wail on a group of enemies, and finish with the Checkmate laser before he vanishes.

Fighting Artemis as V still sucks, though. Shadow has so few options...

Enlong on
  • Options
    Um, holy crap

Can... can I get that patched into DMC5?

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    The second new feature for DMC3 Switch just got announced.

In Free Style mode, Dante will be able to equip all the Devil Arms and all the Guns at the same time, and swap between them sequentially (like in DMC5), or with a radial menu (unlike DMC5).

This just keeps getting better and better.

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Welp. I just ended a V run of Bloody Palace at floor 99. And the reason I died there is entirely Urizen’s dumb homing vine arrows attack. I dodged every other attack he was throwing (aside from an errant fireball once), but those vines track so strongly that he whittled my health down just by periodically using that move. And I don’t like how low-key the tell is for it. Ugh, and I was so close to finishing that and moving onto floor 100, too. His health was low and Nightmare was out.

I know I should be happy I got that far, and I am! But I so wanted to unlock those top two floors for V, and dying that high up? Whoof.

Fighting Cerberus as V was scary, but spamming shots with Griffon works surprisingly well.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

Final feature for DMC3 on Switch; local co-op Bloody Palace!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    DMC3 is out on Switch, aw yis!

This time I did not perish 3 times to unlock Easy Mode while fighting Cerberus.

...I unlocked it while fighting Gigapede, a much easier opponent. Fuck me this game is still hard as hell.

The new Free Style mode is awesome. Being able to swap between everything as in DMC5 is amazing.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Just started playing DMC5 and I just got to the first boss. Is there no way to dodge other than using the lockon and left/right + x? I used all of my red skulls and revives on the fight.

• Options
    You also get some invincibility frames on jumping; it’s stronger then you’d think. And it can sometimes be better to try to get entirely away from some big attacks and shoot from a distance.

Nero can learn Table Hopper, which gives him some extra dodge power if he does a dodge close to an attack landing.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    You also get some invincibility frames on jumping; it’s stronger then you’d think. And it can sometimes be better to try to get entirely away from some big attacks and shoot from a distance.

Nero can learn Table Hopper, which gives him some extra dodge power if he does a dodge close to an attack landing.

Okay I was trying to do that but it didn't seem to work out for me. Just used to Bayonetta letting me dodge by pressing a button. Just have to get used to it in this game.

• Options
    DMC2 had a dedicated dodge button and it was a bad game, so clear dodge buttons make games bad and DMC will never have one again :rotate:

• Options
    edited September 2020
    One of the characters can get a dedicated dodge button, but that’s a bit later.

Actually, wait, yeah, Nero can get a dedicated dodge early on; I just forgot. The Devil Breaker arm Gerbera has a dodge action if you activate it while moving. It has some sort of parry if you use it while standing still, but I mostly just use it while moving.

You lose the arm if you get hit while it’s active, but that’s less likely with Gerbera, since it’s a dodge. It also works as an air dodge. So if you need more evasive action as Nero, try stocking up on Gerberas.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    One of the characters can get a dedicated dodge button, but that’s a bit later.

Actually, wait, yeah, Nero can get a dedicated dodge early on; I just forgot. The Devil Breaker arm Gerbera has a dodge action if you activate it while moving. It has some sort of parry if you use it while standing still, but I mostly just use it while moving.

You lose the arm if you get hit while it’s active, but that’s less likely with Gerbera, since it’s a dodge. It also works as an air dodge. So if you need more evasive action as Nero, try stocking up on Gerberas.

I'll give it a try. I used it a few times but couldn't figure out what it was supposed to do.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I do feel like they should just bite the bullet and add a dodge at this point.

I know jump serves a similar purpose but its a modern design that almost every other action game has implemented at this point.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Jump has just as many iframes and can be done at any time.
    There is no need.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Jump has just as many iframes and can be done at any time.
    There is no need.

I don't really agree. Its a positioning thing. Sometimes I would prefer to stay grounded.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Dante has had a dedicated dodge option since DMC2. Since DMC3, it’s been part of the Trickster style, so he can trade it in favor of stronger guns or swords, or a parry instead.

The tricky thing with Nero is that his weird arm stuff takes up button real estate that a dodge would need, similar to Dante’s style button. That’s kinda why Gerbera has a dodge move; his robot arms are like his version of Styles. It’s also why he has Table Hopper; it’s trying to make the basic side step pull double duty as a dodge.

V is weird.

Enlong on