As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Devil May Cry 5 Announced: MY GRANDFATHER IS TOO POWERFUL

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    So, I haven't played this series since 3 first came out (and none of that easier special edition crap, I played it before it got all easy mode for babies).

No one cares how big your gamer-dick is, bro.

• Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    So, I haven't played this series since 3 first came out (and none of that easier special edition crap, I played it before it got all easy mode for babies).
    Are the ports on PS4 any good? And are 2/4/DmC worth paying attention to?

DmC is alright for a playthrough, a few cool levels and songs.

DMC4 is really good, the combat is great and honestly sometimes kind of insane with how creative you can be. The story is shit and the characters aren't as good as in 3, Dante is still fun.

The difficulty curve isn't as punishing as 3, but then again few curves are. Nero is a lot easier to get into than Dante but he still has some cool mechanics, I really like how his sword timings work.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    DMC4 has the pretty significant drawback of its level design being utterly shit, but the gameplay mechanics are much deeper than 3's and the Special Edition giving you another three characters to play with is crazy.

If DMC5 picks and chooses the best parts of 3, 4 and DmC then it's going to be one hell of an experience.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    DMC3 SE added Vergil as a playable character! That was pretty fucking mindblowing at the time. It would have been enough to make me recommend that game forever, but DMC4 SE went and added him too, so it becomes harder to say. DMC3 still rocks the best narrative and level design of the canon games, for what that's worth. ;P

DMC4 SE is absolutely worth a look. I think it held up better, gameplay wise, than DMC3. Nero plays entirely differently from Dante or Vergil, and it looks like he's the focus of this new game too, so it might be good to learn him! SE also adds Vergil, Lady and Trish as playable characters. The downside to the game is, as others have said, much blander level design and an unfortunate amount of recycling levels. Plus all the new characters just run through the old levels, so you're gonna be seeing those places a lot. But for just tooling around, playing some vidya without caring about the narrative? Da bes one, for sure.

DmC is a strange beast, and while I wouldn't recommend it as fully as DMC4 SE... I think it's pretty good, and you should check it out if able! The gameplay isn't as interesting as its predecessors, but they put a lot more focus on the narrative and presentation on things. It gets too self serious at times, but as a one off experience it's pretty darn great. I just can't really get excited about jumping in to it to wail on some demons.

Oh brilliant
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Are the ports on PS4 any good? And are 2/4/DmC worth paying attention to?

Devil May Cry 2 is a terrible game. Being on Playstation 4 doesn't really change that (though it does look less like an ugly PS2 game and more like an ugly PS3 game?).

Unless you have some deep love of evil possessed attack helicopters and fighting them, skip it.

EDIT: Oh, I see everyone's already mentioned the evil gunship helicopter. You basically know everything you need to about the game.

Synthesis on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Dirty wrote: »

He's not wrong. I nearly quit on DMC3 back in the day due to Cerberus and how ball crushingly hard it was. Because you see, American "normal" was Japanese HARD (which not many people including myself knew for years after the fact), and that's on a fresh game with none of the other weapons or styles unlocked like Trickster.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    I'm really considering picking up the dmc games on steam. I played most of the way through the first one, but never did get 2 or 3. Played 4 and enjoyed it for what time i played.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

He's not wrong. I nearly quit on DMC3 back in the day due to Cerberus and how ball crushingly hard it was. Because you see, American "normal" was Japanese HARD (which not many people including myself knew for years after the fact), and that's on a fresh game with none of the other weapons or styles unlocked like Trickster.

Yeah, I know about all that. Just thought he sounded like a twat.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Worth noting that DMC4 on PC comes with a bonus mode that throws a ridiculous amount of enemies on screen at you so if you have a choice, get that one.

wWuzwvJ.png
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Worth noting that DMC4 on PC comes with a bonus mode that throws a ridiculous amount of enemies on screen at you so if you have a choice, get that one.

DMC4 SE includes this mode and a looooooot more. ;P

Oh brilliant
    Did the consoles ever get those goodies? I don't really game on consoles so I'm pretty ignorant of what's going on over in that end of things.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Did the consoles ever get those goodies? I don't really game on consoles so I'm pretty ignorant of what's going on over in that end of things.

Well, it originally came out on 360 and PS3 and Special Edition on XBONE and PS4, so different consoles got it.

Yeah, I just remember the PC version getting some toys the original versions didn't. I'm pretty well checked out of this console cycle though.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

Ha, that is pretty cool.

Edit: Oh...apparently DmC did that. Hmm...I probably never noticed cause of how easy it was to get S rank in that one.

Dragkonias on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    well i mean capcom have been watching platinum, if ur doing dumb action u cant get any better than revengeance and that had expertly chees'd boss fight and tension music

obF2Wuw.png
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Picked up DMC4 for cheap a few days back.

This Sanctus fight is utter bullshit. I can get him down to two bars of health before this old fart starts bouncing like a pinball. Am I missing something here?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    If this game doesn't have an unlockable mega buster for Nero complete with sound effects, I'm going to be pretty sad.

Perfect setup for it with a mechanical arm that can be modded.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    edited June 2018
    @CaptainNemo it is unclear, but! You can use Devil Bringer arm slam as a parry to the Saviour statue swinging. Do that, and it'll knock Sanctus out of him for free damage.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Picked up DMC4 for cheap a few days back.

This Sanctus fight is utter bullshit. I can get him down to two bars of health before this old fart starts bouncing like a pinball. Am I missing something here?

The savior is coming.

Little V did a cover of the trailer song and he absolutely annihilates it. :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZJqWFXCDEg&feature=youtu.be

Damn it feels good to be hype for a DMC game again!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    @CaptainNemo it is unclear, but! You can use Devil Bringer arm slam as a parry to the Saviour statue swinging. Do that, and it'll knock Sanctus out of him for free damage.

Got him. Thanks a billion. Really wish they gave more of an indication you can punch him back.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    I got all the DMC games, minus "dmc" off steam for the sale. Been playing through the first one. Just got done with the... underwater sections... who the hell thought that was a good idea?

At least I think those were the only underwater parts i remember.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    dav3yb wrote: »
    I got all the DMC games, minus "dmc" off steam for the sale. Been playing through the first one. Just got done with the... underwater sections... who the hell thought that was a good idea?

The ones where you fight while drowning, or the one where you're in first-person with a harpoon gun?

Remember, Devil May Cry was literally a Resident Evil clone that got turned into an action game. Which accounts for all the weirdness in the first one.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I

Remember, Devil May Cry was literally a Resident Evil clone that INVENTED the character action genre..

Fixed a bit. Dudes literally just created a gameplay style not ever really seen.

Enlong wrote: »

The ones where you fight while drowning, or the one where you're in first-person with a harpoon gun?

first person with the needle gun. I don't recall a drowning part... maybe that was in a different game? I've never beaten the first DMC game, but I did get quite a good ways through it.

edited June 2018

Remember, Devil May Cry was literally a Resident Evil clone that got turned into an action game. Which accounts for all the weirdness in the first one.

The level design in Devil May Cry has always been a weak point in the series, even after the first one, IMO. It's why I've always tended to just finish the game up and then only replay it to snag hidden items upon which I never do a full playthrough again once that's done.

While they never went back to full RE style rooster key for the chicken door grade silliness, even DMC4 still had that stupid puzzle forest which broke up the pacing and not in a good way. My big hope for DMC5 is that they go in a different direction level wise with way more emphasis on using your abilities to get non-combat things done to keep that power fantasy trip rolling instead of just throwing up random, still vaguely RE flavored, flow busting sequences at you. This is something Platinum has nailed down and I hope Capcom has been taking notes.

EDIT:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=wpg1GH5TDtI

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    I

Remember, Devil May Cry was literally a Resident Evil clone that INVENTED the character action genre..

Fixed a bit. Dudes literally just created a gameplay style not ever really seen.

Its not a dis, its amazing the first game remains relatively solid.

• MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Little V did a cover of the trailer song and he absolutely annihilates it. :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZJqWFXCDEg&feature=youtu.be

Damn it feels good to be hype for a DMC game again!
    The vaguely Gojira vocals in this are so much better than the official song.

The combat feedback looks incredible, especially the gun Unnuf!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQWGZyw9B9U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmZdyeCRgus

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Dante...Dante pls

This looks good as hell

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah I do like that they seem to be making the revolver useful and not just the combo filler guns have been.

Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah I do like that they seem to be making the revolver useful and not just the combo filler guns have been.

Oh Nero’s gun has ALWAYS been good.

Also the title of this thread has never been more on point than right now.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I like how Dante looks like Clancy Brown's alcoholic cop character from Detroit.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    tumblr_pdtmqkhI7k1qeu01xo1_1280.jpg

For those wondering what’s going on in that picture, who haven’t seen it....the thing he’s swinging?

It’s his MOTORCYCLE

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Finally making good on that DMC3 cutscene and giving you a motorcycle as a weapon.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    The motorcycle transforming into two giant weapons..its beautiful.

Yes.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Playable missile-riding sequence that is hopefully not quite as long-winded as the one in Bayonetta 1 is good stuff

Motorcycle that transforms between rideable thing for crashing into dudes and dual-wielded motorcycles is GREAT STUFF

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    edited August 2018
    So they expanded on Nero's Devil Breaker. It'll have the normal pull abilities of the Devil Bringer that said he'll also be able to switch arms on the fly.

Every arm will have a powerful special ability and they say there will be 8 primary ones(which makes it sound like more in total, not sure if you start with all 8. I doubt it). Also, you'll have the ability to perform a powerful get off me move that pushes all enemies away but it'll instantly disable the equipped arm.

The catch is that every arm will have an ammo counter with limited usage and the only way to replenish the ammo is by collecting more from random stage powerups(and maybe items).

It sounds very much like Megaman's Megabuster and his ability to take enemy abilities.

We've already seen some of the abilities like the time stop and rocket arm. Also in a live demo they showed off the Buster Arm which gives you grab attacks like the Devil Bringer had.

Dragkonias on