As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pillars of or relating to Eternity, with unmarked PoE1 spoilers abounding

1272829303133»

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    So I'm starting fresh on PoE 1, and I'm debating just rolling on that "story time" difficulty setting
    After having just finished Tides of Numenera and only getting in maybe 5 fights in the whole game I've decided I really prefer to streamline the combat side of these CRPGs and just get to that good narrative
    Anyone played on this level and can tell me exactly what it entails?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    So I'm starting fresh on PoE 1, and I'm debating just rolling on that "story time" difficulty setting
    After having just finished Tides of Numenera and only getting in maybe 5 fights in the whole game I've decided I really prefer to streamline the combat side of these CRPGs and just get to that good narrative
    Anyone played on this level and can tell me exactly what it entails?

Combat is easier (fewer, weaker enemies) and you have unlimited resting.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    oh hey so I finally got PoE2 a few weeks ago and played through it all in about a week

it's real good

maybe weaker than PoE1 in a few places but I still had a great time with it

now I'm doing a Path of the Damned run with my PotD character from the first game and holy crap I think this is actually way harder than it was for me in PoE1

• Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Rise, riiiiiise from your grave and speak to me of PoE. 1

Heyya, I uh. I'm late to the party, but not to the legacy (Infinity Engine vet). I got a hankering for this kind of CRPG again.

I'm starting out as your basic sword swinging generic Mr.Hero "fighter".
    My stats are kinda, eh, not really excelling in anything. Mig: 15, Con: 14, Dex: 11, Per:12, Int: 12, Res: But the dialogue influencing modifiers are kinda average, maybe? My arms focus will be sword only, no shield.
    Athletics. 3
    Lore 3
    Survival 3
    Abilities:
    Constant Recovery
    Fighting spirit
    Knock down
    Second wind
    Talents:
    One-handed style

Good "fighter" build or re-roll a character?
    I'll edit my post when I get home with the exact #'s. But I'm wondering if this first character will get the most out of the experience in terms of sword swinging talk gooder?
    Since these kind of CRPGs are not my first rodeo, are there still things I should know before diving in?

Noneoftheabove on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    You wanna hit stuff? Be a monk.

Buy context usable items, torches, chisels, grappling hooks.

Throw Durance in the garbage.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    Fighters are a solid choice and pretty hard to screw up.

Constitution and Resolve are kind of dump stats, or at least ones that you don't really benefit from spending a lot of points in compared to the others. Intellect and Perception are useful, since you want to have your abilities last as long as possible and miss as rarely as possible.

For sword and shield neither Dexterity and Might need to be super high, but the more the better.

• Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    At some point is the game generous with stat boosts either from books, trinkets or lvl ups?

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    You can get a max of +3 from equipment and a max of another +2 to a few or +3 to one with resting bonuses and then another couple from eating/potions. I think there's like one or two permanent stat boosts.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Rise, riiiiiise from your grave and speak to me of PoE. 1

Heyya, I uh. I'm late to the party, but not to the legacy (Infinity Engine vet). I got a hankering for this kind of CRPG again.

I'm starting out as your basic sword swinging generic Mr.Hero "fighter".
    My stats are kinda, eh, not really excelling in anything. Mig: 15, Con: 14, Dex: 11, Per:12, Int: 12, Res: But the dialogue influencing modifiers are kinda average, maybe? My arms focus will be sword only, no shield.
    Athletics. 3
    Lore 3
    Survival 3
    Abilities:
    Constant Recovery
    Fighting spirit
    Knock down
    Second wind
    Talents:
    One-handed style

Good "fighter" build or re-roll a character?
    I'll edit my post when I get home with the exact #'s. But I'm wondering if this first character will get the most out of the experience in terms of sword swinging talk gooder?
    Since these kind of CRPGs are not my first rodeo, are there still things I should know before diving in?

I recall that you can have 3 high and 3 moderate stats, and that's kind of what you want for the dialogue stat-checks. It seems like you already understand that they don't really line up to D&D stats. Might is good for anyone that wants to damage, intellect buffs both AoE sizes and buff/debuff durations. So you get some odd things like Barbarians really wanting intellect and Wizards liking Might. In any case, I'd pump 1-2 stats up to 16 and drop some to 10. There's not many checks for 11s and 12s. Resolve actually has the most checks, followed by Intellect, then Perception/Dexterity/Might, then Constitution has the fewest.

I don't remember enough about skills to say anything helpful there. Fighters are really good. The best character in the game is a fighter, but you can build him to be a tank and you the DPS if you like. If you wanted a DPS fighter I'd go high might and perception. 3rd stat could be dex for attack speed, intellect for longer knock downs, resolve or constitution to be a bit more tanky.

Do not throw Durance in the garbage, Priests are really good. Even if he's annoying sometimes. If you have the expansion, there's one of each class for companions, though some are kind of far in the game. Early on you get fighter, wizard, priest, chanter (bard-like).