As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the weakness of western [chat]

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    eddy I resent phone typing

but I urge against identifying mental habits against a stultifying personal mode of thought with the desirable aura that surrounds liberatory mass politics

the mass utopia still has barbarians sipping mass-produced lattes and denouncing pollock without a trace of historical irony. and that's fine.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    I'm mostly grateful for the yelta conference ending up with the soviets not getting norway

we were the only country liberated by the russians that they pulled out of

but how did norwegian communists feel

the break with comintern and the soviets had happened before the war

so, as elated as everyone else, apart from a small minority

oo. what triggered the break? pre-ww2 soviet foreign policy?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    MrMister is your paper a response to Nagel called "What is it like to be a butt?"

Or a thought experiment: Imagine a world exactly like ours in every way
    Against Right Reason

Abstract: This article argues against ‘right reason’ style accounts of how we should manage our
    beliefs in the face of higher-order evidence. It starts from the observation that such views seem to have bad
    practical consequences when we imagine someone acting on them. It then catalogs ways that i.e.
    Williamson, Weatherson, and Lasonen-Aarnio have tried to block objections based on these consequences;
    it argues all fail. It then moves on to offer its own theoretical picture of a rational 'should believe,' and shows
    that, if such a picture is right, it can neatly explain why right reason isn't. It closes by arguing that the extent
    to which anti-luminosity arguments motivate right reason has been overstated; the positive picture developed
    here, despite rejecting right reason, is nonetheless consistent with luminosity failures.

Riveting, I know.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    that is a large spider

a large spider that is making me regret moving my group past the choke point because lawl it's just gonna be more spiders m i rite

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    That's a really weird abstract writing style compared to how I format mine, MrMr

mostly the usage of "it"

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2015
    MrMister wrote: »
    MrMister is your paper a response to Nagel called "What is it like to be a butt?"

Against Right Reason

Abstract: This article argues against ‘right reason’ style accounts of how we should manage our
    beliefs in the face of higher-order evidence. It starts from the observation that such views seem to have bad
    practical consequences when we imagine someone acting on them. It then catalogs ways that i.e.
    Williamson, Weatherson, and Lasonen-Aarnio have tried to block objections based on these consequences;
    it argues all fail. It then moves on to offer its own theoretical picture of a rational 'should believe,' and shows
    that, if such a picture is right, it can neatly explain why right reason isn't. It closes by arguing that the extent
    to which anti-luminosity arguments motivate right reason has been overstated; the positive picture developed
    here, despite rejecting right reason, is nonetheless consistent with luminosity failures.

Riveting, I know.

It's sorta interesting to see abstracts from different fields.

Not that they're super different - that's what's sorta interesting. The main difference is that in my field you'd start off with a statement and a bit about what's known, then what you did and why it's important.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    It starts from the observation that such views seem to have bad
    practical consequences when we imagine someone acting on them.

stealth utilitarianism y/n

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    That's a really weird abstract writing style compared to how I format mine, MrMr

mostly the usage of "it"

So, I assume this is where we fight to the death

• Options
    simonwolf do your solo-authored abstracts use the royal 'we'

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

mostly the usage of "it"

or we join forces

the League of Extraordinarily Unrelated PhDs can always use new membership

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

mostly the usage of "it"

or we join forces

Who was the league?

Arch, you, and me?

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Shivahn wrote: »

Against Right Reason

Riveting, I know.

Not that they're super different - that's what's sorta interesting. The main difference is that in my field you'd start off with a statement and a bit about what's known, then what you did and why it's important.

yeah but no one ever knows or does anything in philosophy, so that's clearly inapplicable

/i kid, i kid

(mostly)

MrMister on
  • Options

Against Right Reason

Riveting, I know.

yeah but no one ever knows or does anything in philosophy, so that's clearly inapplicable

/i kid, i kid

(mostly)

I considered making a terrible joke like "in my field, we normally have content in the abstracts" but resisted :P

• Options

mostly the usage of "it"

or we join forces

First, become famous

then, give me a million grants

sound good?

• Options

mostly the usage of "it"

or we join forces

Who was the league?

Arch, you, and me?

I think we formed the basis of it, yes

a band of rogue academics, travelling the world and co-presenting the most baffling of topic combinations

• Options

my position has been described as 'epistemic consequentialism' but in some ways that's misleading

• Options
    simonwolf do your solo-authored abstracts use the royal 'we'

Looking at my most recent abstract, I use "this paper" once and "it" once, with the rest outlining what I'm talking about and the context for it

• Options

mostly the usage of "it"

or we join forces

Who was the league?

Arch, you, and me?

I think we formed the basis of it, yes

a band of rogue academics, travelling the world and co-presenting the most baffling of topic combinations

Each one stepping out of the light and fumbling their hands more awkwardly than the next while the presenter is talking about some shit they don't understand.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular

mostly the usage of "it"

or we join forces

Can I be your secretary.

• Options
    I just wrote most of a grant proposal actually.

It is terrible.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

Against Right Reason

Riveting, I know.

I think I would find it rivetting.

But I am babby and don't know what right reason is.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I'm mostly grateful for the yelta conference ending up with the soviets not getting norway

we were the only country liberated by the russians that they pulled out of

but how did norwegian communists feel

the break with comintern and the soviets had happened before the war

so, as elated as everyone else, apart from a small minority

oo. what triggered the break? pre-ww2 soviet foreign policy?

Lenin's Twenty-one Conditions for joining the comintern (Moskvatesene, as we call them) were the sticking point

Labour - or the literal translation, the Norwegian Worker Party, DNA - split over accepting them and first in 1920, the right wing forming the Social Democratic Labour Party of Norway, NSA

one of the major sticking points was that unions that had a collective membership in the party had to stop doing that because of democratic centralism

in 1923 the national convention voted against accepting the conditions, with the leftmost minority splitting into the Communist Party of Norway, NKP

NSA joined back into DNA in 1927 and hasn't split since

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    "this paper" is alien to me

too used to "we show that..." or "we argue that..." or "I argue that..."

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    so in other words just base disagreements about how to organise a communist party very soon after comintern was established at all

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    In psychology for a long time if you ever referred to oneself you would be shot in the face and have your death covered up

• Options
    Holy shit, this male model was also a math lecturer at University College London

1554341_10151916479343597_2101736283_n.jpg?oh=3902491d7652b99c84d0e9157aa44962&oe=55A4E1A6

AND THIS VIDEO (prolly NSFW)

THIS VIDEO

• Options
    UNF UNF UNF

• Options

my position has been described as 'epistemic consequentialism' but in some ways that's misleading

seems like it'd be possible to mine for fun recursive ways to motivate certain epistemologies

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    "this paper" is alien to me

too used to "we show that..." or "we argue that..." or "I argue that..."

in philosophy, any of these are permitted

• Options

Against Right Reason

Riveting, I know.

I think I would find it rivetting.

But I am babby and don't know what right reason is.

a bad view, that I demolish, clearly

• Options
    the heck is the "Amsterdam International"

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Mister Eddychov, tear down this wall

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    thought 1: that may have been the most homosexual video i've ever seen

thought 2: what the fuck is equinox

thought 3: oh my god his abs

• Options
    "We found" is more common. You see a bit of "this paper argues," too.

Reviews are more often like that.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    time to stream more bloodborne

when last we met, i could LITERALLY NOT HIT this psychic hunter who was taunting me from atop a tower and had a GOD DAMN MINIGUN FIRING DOWN ON ME

• Options
    all I got from that abstract was "I don't think this is about luminous flux after all"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    the heck is the "Amsterdam International"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Federation_of_Trade_Unions

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    That picture makes me think there is maybe a limit to how much I like muscular abs. I think that is maybe beyond what I prefer.

Neco on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    i recognize this as the one true [chat].

Long Live the Thread

• Options
    they're some creased abs for sure

ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.