Options

HAPPY TRANSGENDER DAY OF VISIBILITY

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Integrity of the unit is put basically above all else in US military culture; it's largely what leads to the silencing of victims and the oppression of trans and other marginalized folk within the space. Anything that potentially rocks the boat or makes the unit as a whole seem weak/flawed is washed away.

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Skwigelf wrote: »
    http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2015/05/28/bill-banning-conversion-therapy-clears-hurdle.html

http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bills_detail.do?locale=en&Intranet=&BillID=3197

Could be done by Thursday.

Bill 77 In a Nutshell:

Makes the practise of gender/sexual orientation conversion therapy illegal/non-insurable for 'patients' under 18 years of age.

Bill passed yesterday with a unanimous vote.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/06/04/ontario-becomes-first-province-to-ban-conversion-therapy-for-lgbtq-children.html

Hooray progress!

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I do resent it when people try to justify not wanting to complete fix a system with "At least they do X" (which isn't what Tox is doing, imo)

"Well, your arm is totally broken. Possibly crippled for life! But at least you're not bleeding everywhere!"

if band-aids make you happy, that's good for you
    I am not satisfied until problems are actually fixed

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2015/05/28/bill-banning-conversion-therapy-clears-hurdle.html

http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bills_detail.do?locale=en&Intranet=&BillID=3197

Bill 77 In a Nutshell:

Makes the practise of gender/sexual orientation conversion therapy illegal/non-insurable for 'patients' under 18 years of age.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/06/04/ontario-becomes-first-province-to-ban-conversion-therapy-for-lgbtq-children.html

Hooray progress!

this needs to be the law everywhere

conversion therapy is literally torture

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

Bill 77 In a Nutshell:

Hooray progress!

an ex-forumer had a hand in that!

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    Air Force Times profile on a trans man serving openly in the U.S. Air Force:
    "Day in and day out, you're constantly worried about a discharge," said Ireland, a security forces airman. "So every day when I put on my boots and strap on my gun and duty belt, I'm at risk for a discharge – and that's the least of my worries in my personal job. Nobody should have to worry about that day in and day out.

"You constantly wonder who you can trust, who you can be honest with. You feel like your integrity is compromised with withholding this information and no airman – or any military member – wants to go through that."

Ireland sees the Air Force and Army changes on discharges as hopeful signs, but the fear of being involuntarily separated has not gone away, he said.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/2015/06/05/transgender-airman-praises-policy/28554781/

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    trans lesbian cyborgs of the wastes
    Hello, yes, where is your kickstarter?

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    A piece on familial trans acceptance

I encourage cis folk who read this thread to look at those questions and think about how you would respond to those questions

you may be less accepting than you realize - which is fine, I always have shortfalls that I'm trying to overcome

edit: if you need the more blunt version

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I think you would have found similar results for gay people before so many of us came out in the 2000s/early 2010s. It's easy to say "well I'll accept them but I'd hate it if it were my kid" until their kid/a family member comes out. Even Dick "made-for-TV movie supervillain" Cheney changed his tune.

MKR on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

I encourage cis folk who read this thread to look at those questions and think about how you would respond to those questions

you may be less accepting than you realize - which is fine, I always have shortfalls that I'm trying to overcome

Even the article admits that's a poorly worded question. Would I be upset at my child? No. Would I be upset for my child? Yes, which makes it a yes to that question but with vastly different meaning.

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    my real issue with that is that i feel like "Some respondents may have meant that they're accepting of their children but are upset about all the issues a trans child will have to go through due to widespread discrimination." skews the intent and results because it's something any parent who cares for their child or person who cares for their significant other will feel, even if they are completely open and accepting of any/all gender and sexual identities

like that needs to be a whole different category

like say i was dating a transman who had yet to come out to me and subsequently did, i would obviously be upset (not angry or hurt or filled with mistrust) but "upset" because of the difficulties it would inevitably bring due to the world we live in and am naturally an anxious over-thinking person

"upset" is such a vague term that they admit has a ton of different interpretations which means i guess i just don't think the graphs are very good

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    the graphs do match my personal experience

in that folk are much more tolerant of trans people when they don't have to directly deal with them, or the difficulties they face
    it's part of the greater frustration I feel when I hear trans women generalized as being too angry or sensitive (I've mostly heard that sentiment come from queer folk)

btw

I'm gonna keep posting articles and thoughts share or written by trans women and AMAB NB folk in future trans threads
    and I hope other folk can contribute articles written and shared by trans men, as well as AFAB NB folk

my opinions are very much a product of who I read and associate with

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    So uh, did anyone else see this

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/michael-w-chapman/johns-hopkins-psychiatrist-transgender-mental-disorder-sex-change

I don't really know how to evaluate how big of a deal this is

But it seems bad?

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Like, having a presumably well-respected medical authority come out with this position seems like it could possibly prevent some number of trans people from getting the kinds of treatment they need

Which from my understanding happens frequently enough already without being able to point to some prominent dude dismissing the issue out of hand

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Well, I could see an argument for it being a mental disorder in the sense that a trans person's mental gender does not match their physical gender. As for surgeries and stuff "promoting a mental disorder", uh no. I'd like to see facts on this 70-80% of trans people "grow out of it", because that sounds like BS to me.

As for the high suicide rate, gee, I wonder why. I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with high profile doctors encouraging society to call trans people mentally ill, and reinforcing the idea that it is acceptable to look down on trans people.

Bleh. Fuck that guy.

• Options

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/michael-w-chapman/johns-hopkins-psychiatrist-transgender-mental-disorder-sex-change

But it seems bad?

McHugh is known for misrepresenting the facts

http://www.transadvocate.com/worlds-experts-condemn-the-mchugh-hoax_n_13924.htm

being called out on faulty science is hardly a barrier to being listened to, as demonstrated by the anti-vaccer movement

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2015
    They did the same exact shit with gay people.

"Gay people are more likely to commit suicide than straight people! We have to cure these sick degenerate freaks!"

It's evil.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Also "biological sex change impossible" is a fucking evil statement designed to discourage trans people.

Just because we can't give a person a uterus or functional testicles doesn't mean you can't bring a person's biology closer to their desired sex. It's like say "Oh, regrowing your leg is impossible." and throwing a prosthetic in the trash can.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular

the spouse question is a tricky one, I think, because all it asks is "Would you be upset?"

not "would you refuse to accept their gender and hate them?"

it's "would you be upset?"

and to be frank, if they're monosexual, then yeah they probably would be? I posted in this very thread about a friend of mine who was faced with the reality of coming out as trans to her boyfriend who self-identifies as a gay cis man, and how that would probably fuck up their relationship since her telling him "I'm a woman" would probably not fly with him being gay. It worked out okay for them, as it turns out, he really loves her and they're going to work through it somehow and figure something out apparently, but most people here were pretty unanimous in being like "yeah that unfortunately is probably going to be the end of their relationship", and it wasn't because they thought the dude was automatically going to be a shitbag about it.

it's just, well, he's gay and she's not a dude, sooooo

if you're a heterosexual man, and your wife says to you "actually, I'm a trans man", that means either your relationship is going to change or how you self-identify is going to have to change. Because if you accept his gender identity as a man, and you continue to be in a loving sexual relationship with him, then you're not entirely heterosexual, are you?

and some people are fine with that. For some people, that's a non-issue (and that's a percentage of respondents to the question, I think)

for a lot of people, though, the majority of whom are monosexual (meaning either heterosexual or homosexual exclusively), that revelation is going to be upsetting because it's going to essentially mean the end of their relationship as they knew it and it's unfair to ask them to just... be okay with that.

it is not, with one hand, okay to ask someone to wholly accept a person's gender identity and with the other, ask them to completely overlook it for the sake of their own sexual orientation.

• Options
    Ugh, I just caught this in that article
    California, New Jersey, and Massachusetts – have passed laws barring psychiatrists, “even with parental permission, from striving to restore natural gender feelings to a transgender minor,” he said.

Is...is he talking about conversion therapies? Fucking gross.

Also "biological sex change impossible" is a fucking evil statement designed to discourage trans people.

Just because we can't give a person a uterus or functional testicles doesn't mean you can't bring a person's biology closer to their desired sex. It's like say "Oh, regrowing your leg is impossible." and throwing a prosthetic in the trash can.

That's pretty much exactly what he is saying, too.
    “And so at Hopkins we stopped doing sex-reassignment surgery, since producing a ‘satisfied’ but still troubled patient seemed an inadequate reason for surgically amputating normal organs,” said Dr. McHugh.

Also that 70-80% line is just so bullshit. Even IF that number were true, what about the 20-30% of children who DON'T "grow out of it"? Do they just not count?

• Options
    I guarantee you that 70-80% figure is more along the lines of "repressed or hid it due to intense social pressure and stigma" as opposed to "grew out of it"

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I guarantee you that 70-80% figure is more along the lines of "repressed or hid it due to intense social pressure and stigma" as opposed to "grew out of it"

Oh for sure. It took me more than one attempt to transition, and I failed the first time because of exactly that. I certainly didn't grow out of it. I just silenced myself for a while longer.

Neco on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

But it seems bad?

Old fart from a time before repressed groups were allowed to defend themselves presents bullshit view supported by falsely presented facts.

More at 11.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Oh.

That whole news site is full of shit. The front page alone has at least three transphobic articles about Caitlyn Jenner, for example. Heh, moving on then. :P

EDIT: I found six articles that are either directly transphobic, or give voices to transphobic people, including a TERF! Then I got bored and closed the tab.

Neco on
  • Options
    Yeah I heard about that article from WorldNetDaily, which automatically put it on my list of horseshit.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    MKR wrote: »
    I think you would have found similar results for gay people before so many of us came out in the 2000s/early 2010s. It's easy to say "well I'll accept them but I'd hate it if it were my kid" until their kid/a family member comes out. Even Dick "made-for-TV movie supervillain" Cheney changed his tune.

This..happens way less than you'd expect sadly.

• Options
    Dick Cheney accepted his daughter because it would have been a PR disaster for his career otherwise.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Dick Cheney accepted his daughter because it would have been a PR disaster for his career otherwise.

I keep hoping it was some lingering glint of humanity left in his soul

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    I keep hoping it was some lingering glint of humanity left in his soul
    What if I told you the horrifying truth?

YcXAIZI.png

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    a more visceral analysis of Caitlyn Jenner written by Kai Cheng Thom, a trans woman of color

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    trans lesbian cyborgs of the wastes
    Hello, yes, where is your kickstarter?

(I'm actually opening a patreon for game development once I finish a solid draft of what I'm working on)

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus

have mercy

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    wait

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    How rude!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    my reaction to being called a whore entirely depends on who's saying it

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I was running out of catchphrases from Full House

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    this is exactly the first time full house has been used for good ever.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    is it bad that I was disappointed that that article wasn't actually by david coulier?

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    this thread is closing but I hope it continues so my final thoughts are...

this whole Jenner media event being cemented by a magazine called "Vanity Fair"

has me hopeful that people will eventually see the similarity between gender and vanity itself

their social identities were set by advertisement campaigns and they now are moved to become desensitized to the GI Joe/Barbie dichotomy to where fear isn't behind the choice of what you wear or how are addressed in society but simply a way to become unique in an era of tradition destroying ideas

Xehalus on
This discussion has been closed.