As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Year Zero Thread - The End is Fucking Here!

• Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Am I the only person who gets chills down their spine whenever they listen to Zero-Sum?

I dunno why, but out of all of the terrifying things I've read and watched...it's the only thing I've ever gotten them from. A song. That's kinda fucked up.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    TrulzTrulz Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've been listening to the CD for days and had no idea any of this ARG shit existed. I knew about the whole end-of-the-world scenario but had no idea they went into this much detail. I'm downloading that "Year Zero Experience" torrent now.

Trulz on
    I know where I came from, but where did all you zombies come from?
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ARG
    WHAT DOES MEAN
    ME NEED KNOW
    FUCK ME DUMB

The album is pretty good by the way. I haven't deciphered all of the lyrics and really given it the old 'meaning of it all' lookover but I like the sound and the lyrics that stick out are good enough for me.

The viral marketing websites and stuff are terribly cool, I'm way into it.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ARG is an acronym for Alternate Reality Game. This really isn't a message sent back in time, but in entering the "game" you sort of go in as if this were real and so forth.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Covert OperativeCovert Operative Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    wallhitter wrote: »
    Am I the only person who gets chills down their spine whenever they listen to Zero-Sum?

I dunno why, but out of all of the terrifying things I've read and watched...it's the only thing I've ever gotten them from. A song. That's kinda fucked up.

Originally I thought the entire song was about America getting nuked to shit because of the whole "They're starting to reach down through" part in the song, but when I learned that the song was really about the presence wiping out humanity that's where it began to creep me out.

Covert Operative on
    "The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet, there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me god"

-Durandal
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I thought you might mean Alternate Reality Game, but then I thought I was retarded because it wasn't a game.

WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?!

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Stigma wrote: »
    I thought you might mean Alternate Reality Game, but then I thought I was retarded because it wasn't a game.

WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?!

If you die in Year Zero, you die in real life.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    SephSeph Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've listened to two songs from the album.

I've never listened to NiN before, if you can imagine, they just never interested me. In my last years of highschool NiN kids wore jeans and black shirts everyday and that's all i knew about them, not a driving force to listen to it

so i've been listening to smashing pumpkins a lot lately too

and i listen to these two nin songs

and back to SP

and I realize these NiN have no harmony. I can't hum them in my head or in the shower and they don't evoke any warm feelings. they don't even make me upbeat like techno and they dont put me in a rock out mood like, well rock. And for being new and edgy it doesn't sound very good. I like MSI and it's got a lot of variety and it sounds great

this just sounds like noise. I have to admit the ARG is compelling and interesting

but the music is so simplistic and uninspiring on 50 levels of saltine cracker existence the word "meh" could fill a football stadium in one deafening boom.

Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    TrulzTrulz Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Seph wrote: »
    but the music is so simplistic and uninspiring on 50 levels of saltine cracker existence the word "meh" could fill a football stadium in one deafening boom.

I can totally understand you not liking it at all, but I don't really think it can be called simplistic. A lot of the songs are layered to an intense degree.

Trulz on
    I know where I came from, but where did all you zombies come from?
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    One of those songs had better not be "God Given"

Because that song has great harmony. I've been singing it to myself since I first heard it.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    SASA Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Seph wrote: »
    I've listened to two songs from the album.

I've never listened to NiN before, if you can imagine, they just never interested me. In my last years of highschool NiN kids wore jeans and black shirts everyday and that's all i knew about them, not a driving force to listen to it

so i've been listening to smashing pumpkins a lot lately too

and i listen to these two nin songs

and back to SP

and I realize these NiN have no harmony. I can't hum them in my head or in the shower and they don't evoke any warm feelings. they don't even make me upbeat like techno and they dont put me in a rock out mood like, well rock. And for being new and edgy it doesn't sound very good. I like MSI and it's got a lot of variety and it sounds great

this just sounds like noise. I have to admit the ARG is compelling and interesting

its like you didn't even give it a chance and judged their entire library on two songs...

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
  • Options
    HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    this was my first album too and i liked it okay, but not a lot

but then i listened to broken and the downward spiral and i like year zero a lot more

Homeless on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Homeless wrote: »
    this was my first album too and i liked it okay, but not a lot

but then i listened to broken and the downward spiral and i like year zero a lot more

the fragile, year zero, and pretty hate machine are better than those two albums.

SA on
  • Options
    HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    what you don't like noise?

broken is great

i also really liked the alternating time signatures in march of the pigs

Homeless on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Homeless wrote: »
    what you don't like noise?

broken is great

Broken is the only NIN album I don't own.

SA on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I like Reznors quieter, instrumental stuff more. Which is why I love "The Fragile".

Bloods End on
  • Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I am still convinced that The Good Soilder is the best song on the album...

omega71 on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I find myself drawn to ARGs.

I was obsessed with The Lost Experience for a while as well as I Love Bees.

This one is doubly awesome because it's leading to some cool stuff.

Helps that the album was really great.

I've heard some stuff off of The Fragile and Downward Spiral and I bought With Teeth (which wasn't as good as Year Zero has been)

also fucking hell omega your sig is annoying as fuck.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ouch..yea that sig was pretty awful...i didnt realize I made it blink that fast...sorry bout that

omega71 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    omega71 wrote: »
    I am still convinced that The Good Soilder is the best song on the album...

I think everyone is saying that.

SA on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I like God Given the best.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I really really like The Great Destroyer.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    Meet Your Master is probably getting the most play from me

Knob on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I stand corrected.

SA on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    I ain't heard a single thing from this album, but really didn't care for the dancy, poppy stuff on his last one.

How is this album, in terms of awesome?

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    This one is better Rank.

Noisy, thick, and it's fun to listen to.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I ain't heard a single thing from this album, but really didn't care for the dancy, poppy stuff on his last one.

notably way more awesome

less poppy

SA on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    when i picked up the album, i told my girlfriend to call the number on the back

she starts flipping out going 'oh my god oh my god is that real oh my god is that fucking real'

so i put her name and cell number into freerebelart and let her get that phone call and she almost cried

Knob on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

rank

i have not cared for nine inch nails for a long time

and this is one of the best albums i heard in years

Knob on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    Knob wrote: »

rank

i have not cared for nine inch nails for a long time

and this is one of the best albums i heard in years

i trust your musical judgement

I shall check this out

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    the great destroyer is rad

The Cheese on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    rank you can hear the album streaming on their site

Located Right Here

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    linkdead

edit: oh there we go. removed the www. from the front of the link. thanks SH

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Covert OperativeCovert Operative Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Meet Your Master is really awesome, probably my favorite track on the album

Covert Operative on
    "The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet, there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me god"

-Durandal
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    sometimes i am not so good at the internet rank

(as not to waste a top page, you may want to check out NiN Wiki as they are compiling all of the Year Zero ARG. It's really good for catching up on it.)

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    hmmm

quick browse of it, seems to be a lot of slower beatpoprock stuff, kinda like downward spiral a little. I keep looking for a song that's holyshitbadass like some of the stuff on broken, but haven't found anything yet. Anything full on in-your-face-fucking-industrial like that on this one?

I'm intrigued, but I think I need to get a copy of it and chill out and listen to it nonstop, instead of just playing it at my computer or something.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I really, really like the whole concept and execution of the album. Showing a lot of really, really clever viral marketing and design.

Like the album player page... if you leave it paused for a few minutes, it gets all static-y and freaks out for a few seconds, then goes right back to normal.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Listen to Meet Your Master and let it warm up to the chorus

Listen to The Great Destroyer all the way through and wait until the world explodes

Um, mostly just listen to the entire album start to finish in a dark room

For the first time in a long time, there is an album that works as an album and should be listened to as such

Knob on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It is also very important to listen to everything as loud as you can get away with

Knob on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    In a recent interview Reznor said he has plans on creating a pair of movies based upon the Year Zero concept, with the album being the soundtrack "for a movie that doesn't exist yet."

Abracadaniel on