As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Election 2016] Dickweasels on parade [READ OP FIRST 5/11/15]

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    So I'm assuming he found a way around not being able to run for president and senate at the same time?

State Republicans are talking about caucusing, which means there's no ballot to be on. If they do that, he's in the clear.

At least until the general, if he manages to get the nomination.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    So, this might be worth adding to the OP: The Weekly Sift is doing analysis of the candidates' stump speeches. So far, he only has up the analysis of Ted Cruz's speech, but he plans on adding others as they are made.

That's pretty interesting. Definitely will have to keep an eye on that as the others come along.

There are some really interesting points that he makes. For one, I didn't know that the use of Patrick Henry was a Dominionist dog whistle.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    So, this might be worth adding to the OP: The Weekly Sift is doing analysis of the candidates' stump speeches. So far, he only has up the analysis of Ted Cruz's speech, but he plans on adding others as they are made.

That's pretty interesting. Definitely will have to keep an eye on that as the others come along.

There are some really interesting points that he makes. For one, I didn't know that the use of Patrick Henry was a Dominionist dog whistle.
    Well, one thing. The “ban our ammunition” line is about a proposal to ban armor-piercing bullets, whose main civilian application is in killing cops. The Obama administration dropped that proposal after the NRA threw a fit.

This shows how far you have to stretch if you want to claim that Obama is a threat to gun owners: You have to point to a moderate, sensible proposal that he didn’t follow through on anyway.

Yer gunnz! He's acommin' fer 'em!

Slowly. Haltingly. Almost like he's not doing much of anything at all.

But, he's gonna get 'em!

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Leadership is one of those skills that you don't have when you have to tell other people you have it.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular

Do embedded YouTube videos that you haven't started show the same frame for everyone? I ask because mine is showing Cruz looking very Senator Palpatine-y, and I'd never noticed a resemblance before.

Very interesting article, though. I hadn't heard the stuff about his dad before, and I could see it becoming a pretty big deal in the general election.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

Do embedded YouTube videos that you haven't started show the same frame for everyone? I ask because mine is showing Cruz looking very Senator Palpatine-y, and I'd never noticed a resemblance before.

Very interesting article, though. I hadn't heard the stuff about his dad before, and I could see it becoming a pretty big deal in the general election.

I find he looks more like McCarthy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/Joseph_McCarthy.jpg

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    He looks like a muppet that somebody fed after midnight.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Waitaminute, 'Galt House' is a real place? I thought you guys were just using that term as a pejorative.

Well well, it seems the place has nothing to do with Ayn Rand, but of course that won't stop Rand Paul from taking advantage of the association among his followers.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Waitaminute, 'Galt House' is a real place? I thought you guys were just using that term as a pejorative.

Well well, it seems the place has nothing to do with Ayn Rand, but of course that won't stop Rand Paul from taking advantage of the association among his followers.

Yeah, it's not a coincidence.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015

It's a sad fact indeed that whenever a group of men start talking about freedom and liberty today, racism, fascism and paranoia is probably congealing there.

Absalon on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    SERIOUSLY. HOW MANY FUCKING MUSLIMS GET IN POLITICAL TROUBLE BECAUSE OF THEIR ASSOCIATION WITH REVEREND WRIGHT!

Every fucking time this drives me nuts. If he's using his religion as a cheap prop for his political aspirations he'd certainly get one that wasn't gonna get him into political trouble.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Leaving aside the obvious dead-horse-flogging, why 5 years? Am I missing something there?

• Options
    Absalon wrote: »

It's a sad fact indeed that whenever a group of men start talking about freedom and liberty today, racism, fascism and paranoia is probably congealing there.

5:01, 5:02, 5:03...

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Leaving aside the obvious dead-horse-flogging, why 5 years? Am I missing something there?

Because a standard Friedman Unit isn't enough.

Five years is just a kind of regular pick. 'Microsoft to buy Nintendo in five years!' 'This five-year plan will totally turn around the Soviet Union!' 'News had just come over, we had five years left to cry in.'

That sort of thing.

• Options
    Gotcha. I'd forgotten the "MS/Ninty" version. Man, that was everywhere. Once.

• Options
    For actual 'depth', it's pretty much a prediction anybody can make that will totally come true and when it doesn't, is far enough in the past that most won't bother to remember it.

It's also about the length of time a proper federal budget begins to take any real effect. And when it doesn't, it's far enough in the bast that most won't bother to remember it.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

Kind of like the militantly atheist rapist loving terrible author who has totally no relation to his first name.

Like, I just don't get the level of cognitive dissonance that brings objectivism and fundamentalist religion together.

• Options
    zagdrob wrote: »

Kind of like the militantly atheist rapist loving terrible author who has totally no relation to his first name.

Like, I just don't get the level of cognitive dissonance that brings objectivism and fundamentalist religion together.

That's how.

• Options
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Rafael Cruz (Ted Cruz's crazy nutso father) looks just like an iconic 50s/60s bumbling sitcom cop (I think he was a cop) and for the life of me I can not recall that guy's name. It is driving me fucking nuts.

Rafael-Cruz.jpg

EDIT: That's bugging you too, Geth?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »
    So I'm assuming he found a way around not being able to run for president and senate at the same time?

State Republicans are talking about caucusing, which means there's no ballot to be on. If they do that, he's in the clear.

At least until the general, if he manages to get the nomination.

So, he's in the clear.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Rafael Cruz (Ted Cruz's crazy nutso father) looks just like an iconic 50s/60s bumbling sitcom cop (I think he was a cop) and for the life of me I can not recall that guy's name. It is driving me fucking nuts.

Rafael-Cruz.jpg

Don Knotts?

1000509261001_2152013867001_Don-Knotts-Early-Life-HD-768x432-16x9.jpg

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Rafael-Cruz.jpg

Don Knotts?

THANK CHRIST, YES THAT IS IT

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Edit: Fuck, need to refresh before posting.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    I'd have probably said Al Lewis.

Al_Lewis_01.jpg

• Options

Rafael-Cruz.jpg

Don Knotts?

Oh, this has so many opportunities...

• Options
    I'd have probably said Al Lewis.

Al_Lewis_01.jpg

That wouldn't work, because Lewis was a competent politician.

Also, Ruth Marcus makes a strong argument for the return of the AmPolMedia thread.

• Options
    Oh god, tell me this has gone how I think it went:

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Oh god, tell me this has gone how I think it went:

Senator, why you ackin' so cray cray?

• Options

Just as well I didn't have a mouthful of anything, it would've shot out of my nose.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Good question, you impatient buffoon.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I'm just as sure Hannity will get a lot of good / nutty questions to as Rand as I am that he won't pick anything that doesn't fit the "softball" or "base bait" categories. Actually, he probably has a list of questions and just wants to slap someone else's name on them.

Is base bait a phrase in this context? Because it should be.

• Options
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I'm just as sure Hannity will get a lot of good / nutty questions to as Rand as I am that he won't pick anything that doesn't fit the "softball" or "base bait" categories. Actually, he probably has a list of questions and just wants to slap someone else's name on them.

But the point is that you never ask "hey, public? Can you send your responses to this hashtag?" because you are just asking for it.

• Options

But the point is that you never ask "hey, public? Can you send your responses to this hashtag?" because you are just asking for it.

There was shockingly little there. Like, that doctor one was the only pisstake one I think I saw and most of the "regular" ones were dull as dishwater.

• Options
    So, from the "Hedgie suffers so you don't have to" department, let's go explore the Paul campaign store!
    rand_1024headfan.jpg
    Because every Rand fan needs a little head.

rand_store_poster_1024x1024_smaller.jpg
    Well, he is an eye doctor...

rand-bfc-birthday-card_1_1_.jpg
    You know, there's nobody I hate enough to get this card for.

rand_store_board_v5.jpg
    Fitting, considering what he wants to do to the country.

randstore_1024_signedconstitution2.jpg
    Yes, that is a pocket copy of the Constitution signed by Paul himself. It truly sums up his campaign.

...you all owe me.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    What, if anything, does the Washington Machine currently do that needs to be defeated?

also his logo looks like the Olympic torch I hope his lawyers are prepared

• Options

There was shockingly little there. Like, that doctor one was the only pisstake one I think I saw and most of the "regular" ones were dull as dishwater.

To paraphrase James May, you disappoint me, Internet.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    OMFingG.

https://store.randpaul.com/index.php/fun-stuff/nsa-spy-cam-blocker.html

Stop the NSA spying on you through your laptop or tablet's webcam for the low, low price of only fifteen dollars!

I could not have made that up.

Also, that signed constitution? A thousand bucks.

Jazz on
This discussion has been closed.