As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread:

Buying a car across state lines

Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
I'm from the good old state of Pennsylvania. I've found a car online that I'm planning to look at and hopefully buy next week.
The car is in New York state. I'm hoping to be able to go to a DMV and then drive the car home. Does anyone know what to expect?
A friend had mentioned something about being able to get temporary tags before coming home and getting it changed to a PA title (is that even a thing? I'm way in the dark here..)


  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Every state is different, I would just google it.

  • Options
    PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    In general, yes, you go to the DMV where you're buying the car, get temporary tags, then go to the DMV where you live, and get permanent stuff. I would call the New York DMV first, since getting it home is your first order of business.

  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    bring PA plates, slap them on the new car, drive carefully on the way home? (IANAL, etc, etc)

  • Options
    NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    Don't forget that you MAY have to pay a tax in the state you reside on your purchase - so check that out, because the DMV will request the payment if that is the case.

  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Here in nebraska-Colorado-wyoming area what we would do is buy the car with a hand written bill of sale with a witness signature. On a blank sheet of paper write "IN TRANSIT" with a black marker and tape that to the back window. Sign the title over. Exchange the money. Drive the car back to home state and at earliest convenience take the car in to local county clerk's office, with the title and Bill of sale that had been traveling in the glove box in case of getting pulled over by the police, to square away tags and taxes.

    Maybe we do it different in the boonies?

  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    In Texas you have to have a Texas Driver's License to buy used, make sure there isn't gonna be a snafu with your ID. You can probably look it up if you need something like that on the NY DMV site.

Sign In or Register to comment.