As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread – The third and final story DLC out now on PS4/XBO/PC

• Options
    IseultTheIdleIseultTheIdle Registered User regular
    Last seen looking at his lyrium and muttering, "I should be taking it! I should be taking it."

.....too soon?

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Last seen looking at his lyrium and muttering, "I should be taking it! I should be taking it."

.....too soon?

We were all thinking it; you're just the one who said it.

Ivan Hunger on
  • Options
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Just finished the main storyline, can someone please explain the epilogue between
    Solas and Flemith/the ancient even goddess
    to me?
    So Solas was secretly an eleven god as well, and he had given the orb to Corphyus for...reasons, and when it broke Flemith died because...reasons?
    The orb contained a bunch of power that he needed, but he couldn't open it cuz he was too weak. SO he gave it to Corypheus, expecting it would kill him when he opened it and could then be reclaimed. But it turned out he could come back from the dead. Once the orb breaks he needed a new source of power to do shit, so he turns to Flemeth/Mythal, who gives it to him

But yeah, play Trespasser, it's really good.

I just... OMG.
    Iron Bull, WTF?

Totally starting a brand new game to play through differently.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    Just finished the main storyline, can someone please explain the epilogue between
    Solas and Flemith/the ancient even goddess
    to me?
    So Solas was secretly an eleven god as well, and he had given the orb to Corphyus for...reasons, and when it broke Flemith died because...reasons?
    The orb contained a bunch of power that he needed, but he couldn't open it cuz he was too weak. SO he gave it to Corypheus, expecting it would kill him when he opened it and could then be reclaimed. But it turned out he could come back from the dead. Once the orb breaks he needed a new source of power to do shit, so he turns to Flemeth/Mythal, who gives it to him

But yeah, play Trespasser, it's really good.

I just... OMG.
    Iron Bull, WTF?

Totally starting a brand new game to play through differently.

Trespasser
    Lemme guess, you're like me and you didn't do his loyalty quest thing? (it was my third playthru, gimme a break)
    That made for a hell of a fight since he was my tank

Bobble on
  • Options
    Oh, it was so much worse than that.
    Not ONLY was he my tank, but my Inquisitor romanced him and did his quest, choosing to keep him kosher with the Qun. Won't be doing THAT again.

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Trespasser
    He's a pretty great spy, right? Just think, he was actually telling you exactly how he felt about you the other time, "boss".

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Not ONLY was he my tank, but my Inquisitor romanced him and did his quest, choosing to keep him kosher with the Qun. Won't be doing THAT again.
    Congrats, you're a Bond Girl.

Well, except you killed Bond. Good job, there.

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »
    Congrats, you're a Bond Girl.

Well, except you killed Bond. Good job, there.

Well, shit.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Probably not re playing it in the near future, what happens if you keep
    Iron Bull loyal to the Qun?

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular

You should have known better.
    The Qun is Communism. If you don't encourage a Communist to change his ways, you deserve what you get.

• Options
    At first he acts confused about what's going on because his agents haven't apprised him of any Qunari attacks. Allegedly.

In mid battle he gets the command to turn on you, and he does...which, as pointed out before, is inconvenient if he's your tank and you just gave him an amulet of massive tankiness.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    At first he acts confused about what's going on because his agents haven't apprised him of any Qunari attacks. Allegedly.

In mid battle he gets the command to turn on you, and he does...which, as pointed out before, is inconvenient if he's your tank and you just gave him an amulet of massive tankiness.

Buhahaha!

MAN I'm glad I did things the way I did!

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do anything else.
    The Qunari are not exactly my first choice for an ally. I don't need their help, and I'll be damned if I let the Chargers die to get it.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm about to do a weasel playthrough (as non-virtuous as inquisitor as I can), so I'm glad I have that to look forward to in Trespasser!

• Options
    I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do anything else.
    The Qunari are not exactly my first choice for an ally. I don't need their help, and I'll be damned if I let the Chargers die to get it.
    I wouldn't have minded keeping the Qun around, but I jut liked the Chargers too much. I kinda wish I had now though just for that, thought I probably would have had Cassandra as my tank at the end and would have missed it anyway.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I tried jumping back into this recently and I don't want to admit it but I'm close to taking a full 180 on my stance on the combat. Admittedly my first encounter easing back into it was an attempt at closing a rift (lol) but it feels like I'm tactically hitting a brick wall with all these teleporting motherfuckers.

• Options

The Qun is Communism. If you don't encourage a Communist to change his ways, you deserve what you get.
    That's the thing I hate when you lose characters in a bioware game, they take all of your shit with them.

There was a strip about the first game and Alistair walking off with the player's blood dragon armor, that actually did happen to me. I don't think it was the blood dragon armor, but it was some type of special armor. I had to replay like an hours worth of game from my last save to get it back.

In hindsight, I like the addition of crafting, but gear was a lot cooler and more original in DA1 and ME1.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    As a rule, crafting always, always ruins a loot ecosystem

They cannot coexist

• Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

They cannot coexist

I disagree. I think Diablo 3 and The Division prove looting and crafting can coexist just fine.

• Options
    I thought it worked fine in awakening too.

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »

They cannot coexist

In general terms, I craft, wait for a loot upgrade, and that usually signals that better craftable items are available.

Some companions just make do with loot, though. Sera does not appreciate my tailoring skills.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I hated how you had to craft an item to find out how it would look. One of the better items I made had me looking like this:
    238356799_jy85z-2100x20000.jpg

Orca on
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I love that comic. Now when I see that drawing all I can think of is Sunset Overdrive.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Didn't they release a feature so you could basically rejigger the color and texture of any material?

• Options
    Didn't they release a feature so you could basically rejigger the color and texture of any material?

By wasting good materials!

• Options

That's the thing I hate when you lose characters in a bioware game, they take all of your shit with them.

There was a strip about the first game and Alistair walking off with the player's blood dragon armor, that actually did happen to me. I don't think it was the blood dragon armor, but it was some type of special armor. I had to replay like an hours worth of game from my last save to get it back.

In hindsight, I like the addition of crafting, but gear was a lot cooler and more original in DA1 and ME1.

ME1? It was an interesting idea at first, I'll grant you, but every gun of the same type was effectively identical. Various shotguns may have had different stats, but they all felt the same. Ammo mods had some interesting effects, but only some, and gun mods were the same. There was also the separate but related problem with every enemy loading you down with another piece of equipment that would get turned into omni-gel 90% of the time.

I loved ME3's system, personally: new guns, mods, and armor pieces scattered throughout the game, encouraging exploration, and they resulted in tangibly different gameplay.

• Options
    I definitely think ME3 had the most fun variety in the series, but I think it'd be super cool to see crafting in BioWare games return to explore some of the more interesting weird and wacky effects that ME1 had, like extreme physical impact, and different DoT effects. Limiting them to specific classes also limits the fun had! :P

• Options

ME1? It was an interesting idea at first, I'll grant you, but every gun of the same type was effectively identical. Various shotguns may have had different stats, but they all felt the same. Ammo mods had some interesting effects, but only some, and gun mods were the same. There was also the separate but related problem with every enemy loading you down with another piece of equipment that would get turned into omni-gel 90% of the time.

I loved ME3's system, personally: new guns, mods, and armor pieces scattered throughout the game, encouraging exploration, and they resulted in tangibly different gameplay.

I don't remember ME3's that well, but I was more referring to how customizable it was rather than how effective. I feel like I had more control over what my armor was like, and more importantly to me, what t looked like than I did in ME2.

• Options
    Yeah, but most of the customization options were fairly meaningless. The appearance didn't change and the behavior of the gun didn't make a really noticeable shift. ME2 and 3 also definitely had color customization for the armor, in addition to mix and match pieces thereof.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Being able to get the stats I want and the appearance I want would be ideal, because when it comes down to it an armor set that looks good will trump one that has better stats for me every time.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Yeah, but most of the customization options were fairly meaningless. The appearance didn't change and the behavior of the gun didn't make a really noticeable shift. ME2 and 3 also definitely had color customization for the armor, in addition to mix and match pieces thereof.

I'm talking about armor, not guns. And yeah you could change the color, but not how the actual armor looked. ME3 was definitely a step in the right direction as in remembering it a little more now, but 2 was a step backwards, and to me 3 still felt stinted as far as what I could make my character look like. You keep talking about performance when I've clearly stated I'm referring to appearance.

Back on topic though, I think DA:I had a great crafting system, but it seemed to be missing the rare epic level armor that you could only get in one or two places. Which I guess goes back to someone's earlier point about crafting and loot systems not going great together. Maybe I'm just wanting DA to be too much like an elder scrolls game with a better story.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular

I'm talking about armor, not guns. And yeah you could change the color, but not how the actual armor looked. ME3 was definitely a step in the right direction as in remembering it a little more now, but 2 was a step backwards, and to me 3 still felt stinted as far as what I could make my character look like. You keep talking about performance when I've clearly stated I'm referring to appearance.

Back on topic though, I think DA:I had a great crafting system, but it seemed to be missing the rare epic level armor that you could only get in one or two places. Which I guess goes back to someone's earlier point about crafting and loot systems not going great together. Maybe I'm just wanting DA to be too much like an elder scrolls game with a better story.

You couldn't really do much with how armour looked in ME1. If you liked the design, but not the colour? Tough luck. ME3 gives you a bunch of colour (and a few different pattern) options on top of different designs.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Oh come on, you didn't like the Phoenix set? Pink and white for everyone!

Except for Wrex, he gets the bumblebee armour.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    If anyone's missing any of the DLC (like I was until tonight) EA's got a 30% off everything in origin promo code until the 31st, ORIGIN30.

• Options
    Perhaps someday EA will figure out how sales are supposed to work in digital game distribution.

• Options
    Oh, that means if I want a discount on DLC I'd have to apply a discount to my... BioWare points, right? So I technically get more value for my money?

Oh.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh-h-h-h-hhhhh

• Options
    Yeah, the math works for most of the stuff, but for Dragon Age II if you don't have the Sebastian DLC, you will end up with some surplus funbucks. (Most of the Dragon Age II content goes for 800 points, and the points come in 800 or 1600-point packages, and even the stuff that doesn't consists of two gear packs of 400 points each so whee, but Sebastian's DLC is...560 points.)

• Options
    His blinding white armor is worth the extra 160.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Wait, they're STILL using funbucks? Holy shit...

• Options
    edited May 2016
    For older stuff (e.g. DA2 DLC).

The new stuff (e.g. DAI DLC) is using this weird currency that seems to work really well for online purchases, I think they're called "you-ess dollurs" or something.

EDIT: Also I was wrong. You can get funbux in 560-point increments (for simplicity's sake it just doesn't show you points amounts that would be useless to your purchase--i.e. if you go to buy Legacy it will ask if you want 800 or 1600 because you need 800 to get it, but if you go to buy an all-class gear pack it asks if you want 400, 560, 800, or 1600). This allows you to get The Exiled Prince without wasting money (unless you think Sebastian himself is a waste hur hur hur).

Which is great, but then the question becomes why the fuck retain the funbux mechanism to begin with if you're not screwing your customers with it?

Shadowen on
This discussion has been closed.