As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread – The third and final story DLC out now on PS4/XBO/PC

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I don't mind Bioware branching out to a new thing, especially as a genre that I feel is one that could use more competitors and I've always enjoyed Bioware's shooting in the ME franchise, especially their multi shooting from me 3 and beyond.

I would like to see a new dragons age of course, but I understand the games industry is in a bit of shitty place for franchises right now.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I distinctly worded my post very carefully, because I don't have problems with microtransactions in of themselves. It's all about putting products at the right price point at the right incentive. I don't wholly want to get into the nitty gritty of Battlefront 2 because this isn't the Battlefront 2 thread (or honestly an EA thread for that matter), but I think Ubisoft games stand on their own in spite of having or incorporating MTX or blind box transactions, whereas DICE removing loot boxes pre-release left them with a more noticeable gaping void in their multiplayer player progression.

And in honesty my post isn't even really a take on whether or not EA deserves the hate per se. On a personal level I think it's silly to "hate" any company. But over the last few years EA has entirely doubled down on specific gaming elements with a complete apathy for vocal criticism and I really can't see how they did not forsee some form of backlash of this kind happening at some point, if not with their RPG franchises then with one of the biggest IPs in entertainment. They have done little to assuage the fears of vocal haters and over time it has boiled over into more popular discussion due to negligence - it has become way too easy for people to construct this narrative about them.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I'm kicking myself for getting so into Dragon Age recently... I want to see that Tevinter game, but it's like wanting to know what else happens to Scott and Sarah. I'm shit out of luck, what a sucker for getting emotionally involved in the characters Bioware (used to) write so well.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I put off my Inquisition playthrough to play Assassins Creed. Kinda wondering if it's worth going back when I'm done.

• Options
    Inquisition is a pretty contained story. More origins than DA2, though I haven't played trespasser maybe that has more cliff hangers.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Inquisition is a pretty contained story. More origins than DA2, though I haven't played trespasser maybe that has more cliff hangers.

Trespasser puts a really lovely bow on Inquisition and I highly recommend it. However it does end with, I don't want to call it a cliffhanger, but more like a hook for the next game? A very good hook.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    If you're known for a thing and make good money doing that thing, keep doing it.

Andromeda was what, nearly a year ago? I think that was the last time I enjoyed a new non-indie game at all.

Hopefully Anthem will do well enough that EA doesn't simply decide to take the company out back and shoot it as they have with so many others, but not so well that BioWare is forced to drop ME and DA entirely in favor of PRINT MORE ANTHEMS. What an odd thing to wish for.

But if everyone did that, we wouldn't have Horizon: Zero Dawn. In the right environment and with the right attitude, a change of pace can be a great thing. (EA, however, is never the right environment. They just kill studios)

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I feel as a whole the game industry is very monkey see monkey do in that they see one thing do well and decide gamers only want this one thing and we have to drop everything else to do this one thing.

Which I'll never understand but that's the reality of it.

It's because advancing game technology has driven the cost of AAA games through the roof, and that's murdered any desire for risk and caused a major thirst for "games as a service" (meaning games you play endlessly and pay for endlessly).

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
  • Options
    Finished all the line puzzles in frostback. Either those just looked hard and were actually easy or I'm freaking amazing at doing those... I'm going to say half and half. I really did enjoy both those puzzles and the sudoku from andromeda for puzzles. Way better than the early ac game whatever the fuck let me just look up the solution you stupid jerks. And the bioware staple tower of hanoi.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Preacher wrote: »
    Finished all the line puzzles in frostback. Either those just looked hard and were actually easy or I'm freaking amazing at doing those... I'm going to say half and half. I really did enjoy both those puzzles and the sudoku from andromeda for puzzles. Way better than the early ac game whatever the fuck let me just look up the solution you stupid jerks. And the bioware staple tower of hanoi.

I still say the worst puzzles were those clock faces in ... one of the FF13 sequels; don't remember which one. If there hadn't been a website where you could plug in the initial condition and get the solution, I probably never would have finished that game.

JOE_1967 on
  • Options
    I hate black out puzzles (the ones where you have to like turn on all the lights or colors but touching certain things turns off others) those ones always just confuse me I can't synch with them. Thankfully there are tools on the internet you can use to solve those.

For me I just like things that bioware tried something different instead of just sticking with simon says from me 1 or even the kind of lame hacking from ME2. I think the Suduko from ME: A was one of the first time a game actually had me seek out the source puzzles for amusement.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    The grand tradition of half-baked mini games in RPGs stopped making sense around the same time that significantly better mini games became readily available on smartphones. I don’t understand why Bioware uses them so liberally.

• Options
    Frem wrote: »
    The grand tradition of half-baked mini games in RPGs stopped making sense around the same time that significantly better mini games became readily available on smartphones. I don’t understand why Bioware uses them so liberally.

I mean, I kinda-sorta get it from a storytelling standpoint? If you're trying to narratively communicate "Getting past this barrier will take your skills as a hacker/your inherent magic power/some other skill the game says you have", then having your character walk forward and press a button (say) ends up looking silly.

Also I really liked Andromeda sudoku, and I usually don't mind Dragon Age puzzles.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    The only Dragon Age "puzzles" I really didn't like were the bits where you were trying to figure out how the @#$@#$ to get up the side of a hill that would lead to another hill where you could find an objective marker.

• Options
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    The only Dragon Age "puzzles" I really didn't like were the bits where you were trying to figure out how the @#$@#$ to get up the side of a hill that would lead to another hill where you could find an objective marker.

Yeah when I was playing inquistion recently I was like "And this is why they gave you a fucking jet pack in andromeda."

Also the horses are effectively useless for me in inquistion because when you use them you lose party banter, again more points for the car from andromeda.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Man, I hope Bioware does okay with Anthem. Probably not my cup of tea, but I want the company to do well. Obsidian does good stories, and I really like what Guerilla Games has done with HZD, but nobody else does characters like Bioware classically has.

If they screw the pooch and get shut down I'm going to be sad for years.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Man, I hope Bioware does okay with Anthem. Probably not my cup of tea, but I want the company to do well. Obsidian does good stories, and I really like what Guerilla Games has done with HZD, but nobody else does characters like Bioware classically has.

It'll be especially heart-breaking because they'll have been killed for pursuing the "games as a service" dragon instead of sticking to the "quality story-driven single-player game" that they were so well-known for, and managing to make that work with multiplayer that had micro-transactions... when the multiplayer was actually fun, that is.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I dunno man. We know DAI was the BioWare game that sold the most copies at launch, and according to VGChartz it sold something in the ballpark of 5 million physical copies (+??? digital ones). For reference, MEA sold about half that (~2.5 million + ??? digital). I think EA is probably expecting > 5 million sales of Anthem at a minimum, and BioWare has only done that once before.

I don't think we should hold our breath.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

It'll be especially heart-breaking because they'll have been killed for pursuing the "games as a service" dragon instead of sticking to the "quality story-driven single-player game" that they were so well-known for, and managing to make that work with multiplayer that had micro-transactions... when the multiplayer was actually fun, that is.

Bioware is already dead. Many, if not all, of the key people who made that studio what it is have abandoned ship, so EA's eventual closing of the studio is honestly just a formality. When (not if) EA closes Bioware, it won't be because Bioware wanted to try a game genre they were unfamiliar with, but because EA pushed them (as they have so many other studios they've unceremoniously murdered) into doing this because EA wants "games as service" products. EA wants "games as service" products because that's how they sell pay-to-win loot boxes which is essentially their entire business model and basically the only thing floating their company.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular

That's sort of EA's thing. It can't be there fault for pushing for something the gaming community as a whole has gotten sick of. No, it's Star Wars fault for being a shitty IP ( :lol: ), and Bioware's fault at continuing to fail as they increasingly shove what EA's pushing into games where it doesn't fit, or release half finished games because EA tells them it's time to release them.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I dunno man. We know DAI was the BioWare game that sold the most copies at launch, and according to VGChartz it sold something in the ballpark of 5 million physical copies (+??? digital ones). For reference, MEA sold about half that (~2.5 million + ??? digital). I think EA is probably expecting > 5 million sales of Anthem at a minimum, and BioWare has only done that once before.

I don't think we should hold our breath.

VGChartz literally pulls numbers out of their ass and are often hilariously wrong. So maybe not that much.

Unfortunately I can't find any concrete sales figures beyond "it did well at launch!" which leads me to suspect it probably wasn't something EA wanted to celebrate.

If that's the case, it's possible Bioware has been disappointing EA for quite some time now.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    They already said DAI was the best performing DA to date and Origins did within the ballpark of 4-5 mil so I'm sure it was fine.

Also I'd reiterate this isn't the now dead industry thread so let's not get too off-topic. Cause we're entering tangent territory.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    They already said DAI was the best performing DA to date and Origins did within the ballpark of 4-5 mil so I'm sure it was fine.

Also I'd reiterate this isn't the now dead industry thread so let's not get too off-topic. Cause we're entering tangent territory.

Not at all, since we're still talking about Dragon Age and it's been reiterated by the mods that industry talk is totally fine in context.

Dragon Age: Origins sold about 3.2 million. On top of that, it's entirely possible that DAI could sell more than DAO and still lose money thanks to the vast increase in AAA development costs between generations. (Roughly speaking, you have to sell double to meet the development costs.)

Which still could conceivably put Bioware, and the future of Dragon Age, in danger if Destiny is a disaster.

cloudeagle on
  • Options

Bioware is already dead. Many, if not all, of the key people who made that studio what it is have abandoned ship, so EA's eventual closing of the studio is honestly just a formality. When (not if) EA closes Bioware, it won't be because Bioware wanted to try a game genre they were unfamiliar with, but because EA pushed them (as they have so many other studios they've unceremoniously murdered) into doing this because EA wants "games as service" products. EA wants "games as service" products because that's how they sell pay-to-win loot boxes which is essentially their entire business model and basically the only thing floating their company.

Patick Weekes is still with the company, and his contributions in ME2 mark when I actually became a fan of the company. As long as he and others like vsove are still there, the "key people" are still very much with Bioware.

Funny, I was upset initially when Weekes was moved from Mass Effect to Dragon Age, but knowing he's still at the helm gives me some hope that if they actually get to release DA4, it'll still be a pretty grand game.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Yeah but folks were starting to go from talking about DA to going on tangents about EA which usually throws topics off pretty quickly.

Also. I don't see the point in arguing on speculation without exact numbers to push a doom and gloom scenario outside of being an alarmist.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Yeah but folks were starting to go from talking about DA to going on tangents about EA which usually throws topics off pretty quickly.

Also. I don't see the point in arguing on speculation without exact numbers to push a doom and gloom scenario outside of being an alarmist.

I'm not "pushing a doom and gloom scenario," I just find this business stuff interesting, believe it or not. Especially wondering how Bioware's business model can fit into a continually mutating AAA environment that's seemingly at odds with self-contained narratives the company has thrived on.

• Options
    I'm sure you do, but when fans are already nervous about the future of their favorite franchise.

Saying stuff like "I have no idea on the exact numbers or data but maybe the last game didn't do well at all." Doesn't add much to the conversation.

Like I'm sure Anthem needs to be a success and it not doing well could cause big problems but let's not fly too far off the wheel.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I'm sure you do, but when fans are already nervous about the future of their favorite franchise.

Saying stuff like "I have no idea on the exact numbers or data but maybe the last game didn't do well at all." Doesn't add much to the conversation.

Like I'm sure Anthem needs to be a success and it not doing well could cause big problems but let's not fly too far off the wheel.

Why doesn't business talk add to the conversation? I provided the actual numbers for Dragon Age: Origins when you yourself speculated on them and used them as an example of why Bioware isn't in much danger. (And then immediately tried to shut down further conversation.) I disagreed, using concrete numbers provided by EA. Why are you allowed to speculate ("I'm sure it was fine") but I'm not? Honestly, other people in this thread have expressed interest in talking about how Dragon Age's narrative style fits into EA's business strategy.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    You used numbers from Dragon Age Origins to say you think Dragon Age Inquisition, a completely different game which you don't have numbers or data on didn't do well because you think so...maybe.

That isn't business talk as much as the wild speculation that always tends to derail business talk.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    You used numbers from Dragon Age Origins to say you think Dragon Age Inquisition, a completely different which you don't have numbers or data on didn't do well because you think so...maybe.

That isn't business talk as much as the wild speculation that always tends to derail business talk.

...but you were the one that first brought up numbers for Dragon Age Origins to insist that Dragon Age Inquisition sold fine because you think so... maybe.

So... what kind of talk were you aiming for?

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Well, I'm going on the fact that the project lead said it was the best selling game and for all intents and purposes seemed pretty fine with the performance.

Which I give more stock to than folks just saying stuff and I try to generally dissuade in topics like these cause like I said, it is rarely helpful.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Well, I'm going on the fact that the project lead said it was the best selling game and for all intents and purposes seemed pretty fine with the performance.

Which I give more stock to than folks just saying stuff and I try to generally dissuade in topics like these cause like I said, it is rarely helpful.

And I'm going by the accurate numbers of DA:O (unlike the inaccurate ones you provided), and the fact that those numbers wouldn't cut it in the inflated expectations of today's AAA world due to inflated development costs. Also, people aren't always 100% truthful, especially when there's a mega-corporation breathing down their next, so it's worth taking things with grains of salt.

So if this topic of conversation is unhelpful, why did you start a new line of conversation?

And why are you meta-moding? That's technically against the rules here.

Honestly, it's okay if you disagree with me! Really! I'm up for being proven wrong! But I'm not a fan of being told to shut up.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Yes...but you are talking about Dragon Age Inquisition.

I honestly don't get why this is difficult to understand.

Okay...let's just start back at the beginning. If we are talking DAI...do we have any solid information on that game in particular that we can discuss?

• Options
    Yes...but you are talking about Dragon Age Inquisition.

I honestly don't get why this is difficult to understand.

Okay...let's just start back at the beginning. If we are talking DAI...do we have any solid information on that game in particular that we can discuss?

The reason this is so difficult to understand is because:

...you brought the subject up, but somehow further conversation of how Origins' sales figures give us hints at Inquisition's is verboten. For some reason.

Again, feel free to disagree with me, but you've got to be honest with me as well.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    What I said is that Origins did around 4 million (3.2 since that is such a sticking point for you) and BioWare said that Inquistion did more than that that. How much, I don't know but how you're talking in circles it seems you don't either. Also that the team stated sastisfication in how it did so I wasn't sure where you were going with your speculation.

Since that is out of the way, are you going to explain what your point is in regards to it or are you gonna keep bringing up the fact I mentioned Origins sales?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    What I said is that Origins did around 4 million (3.2 since that is such a sticking point for you) and BioWare said that Inquistion did more than that that. How much, I don't know but how you're talking in circles it seems you don't either. Also that the team stated sastisfication in how it did so I wasn't sure where you were going with your speculation.

Now that is out of the way, are you going to explain what your point is in regards to it or are you gonna keep bringing up the fact I mentioned Origins sales?

I already did. I won’t repeat it because it’s already on this page. And then you metamodded and told me to shut up. So apparently to really didn’t like my answer.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    What hints do DA:O's sales give us about Inquisition's? It looks like we lack enough data to say anything useful about it if all we know is DA:I sold more copies than Origin at launch. Production costs presumably soared in the intervening years, but Origins spent twice as many years in development, and sales through the Origin client would have substantially higher profit margin than copies sold in a 2009 Gamestop, so...

If it's just lots of speculation from everyone, then there's no useful conversation to be had.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    What hints do DA:O's sales give us about Inquisition's? It looks like we lack enough data to say anything useful about it if all we know is DA:I sold more copies than Origin at launch. Production costs presumably soared in the intervening years, but Origins spent twice as many years in development, and sales through the Origin client would have substantially higher profit margin than copies sold in a 2009 Gamestop, so...

If it's just lots of speculation from everyone, then there's no useful conversation to be had.

This is all I'm really trying to say.

• Options
    edited January 2018

This is all I'm really trying to say.

“Shut up?” I thought you were asking for the opinion I already gave you?

cloudeagle on
This discussion has been closed.