As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread – The third and final story DLC out now on PS4/XBO/PC

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Strikor wrote: »
    I never expected naming cats after BioWare characters would be so dangerous. So far so good, thankfully.

One of my dogs is named Wrex. We don't have to find a new home for him, right?

Depends on which forumer you're asking the question of...

:bigfrown:

Orca on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    It was a charity they were running on N7 day and she was streaming her signing of all the posters and stuff. I'm still perfectly thrilled to have it in a way, but knowing the crumminess of some of her views from a while ago does take the shine off it.

Brian Bloom not only performs for BioWare games but has worked the lead role in the new Wolfenstein series, one of the most politically diametrically-opposed series that I could possibly think of. Obviously a body of work doesn't really reflect a performer's personal politics most of the time (and to note he is a recurring primary writer/performer for the Call of Duty series so to consider he may have conservative leanings wouldn't be a stretch either), but I still find it surprising that he would signal boost such an openly intolerant stance like that, if true.
    That said I can't seem to find much of a social media presence just about anywhere, so maybe he's buried that deep

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    urahonky wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Not to split hairs, and I didn't watch the hour long video she tweeted about so maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see anything about vaccines there. Blaming autism on GMO conspiracy crops is anti-vax adjacent, but it's not anti-vax.

That's still stupid, but not necessarily "endanger the vulnerable" stupid.

Yeah she's pro-BLM, Anti-Trump, and overall pretty accepting. So I don't really want to see her get lumped in with the other fuckwits.

A lot of rich liberals are into anti vax and anti GMO and anti science garbage. I’m glad she has some good opinions about things, and I don’t really expect anyone to be perfect.

But that doesn’t change the fact that her opinions about autism are clearly awful. At best, “problematic.”

I've been following her for a while now and she hasn't posted anything anti-vaxx or anti-science since I guess that screencapped post (which I've never actually seen on her feed... Not saying that it's fake but at least she deleted it). So even if she believes the autism thing she hasn't said a word on her platform about it. Which is a good thing right?

To clarify: seeing ANYONE make the connection between autism and vaccines is an immediate block from me. I don't have time for that bullshit.

urahonky on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Greg Ellis has now blocked me from two accounts for calling him a transphobe. A job well done.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Not to split hairs, and I didn't watch the hour long video she tweeted about so maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see anything about vaccines there. Blaming autism on GMO conspiracy crops is anti-vax adjacent, but it's not anti-vax.

Yeah she's pro-BLM, Anti-Trump, and overall pretty accepting. So I don't really want to see her get lumped in with the other fuckwits.

A lot of rich liberals are into anti vax and anti GMO and anti science garbage. I’m glad she has some good opinions about things, and I don’t really expect anyone to be perfect.

But that doesn’t change the fact that her opinions about autism are clearly awful. At best, “problematic.”

I've been following her for a while now and she hasn't posted anything anti-vaxx or anti-science since I guess that screencapped post (which I've never actually seen on her feed... Not saying that it's fake but at least she deleted it). So even if she believes the autism thing she hasn't said a word on her platform about it. Which is a good thing right?

To clarify: seeing ANYONE make the connection between autism and vaccines is an immediate block from me. I don't have time for that bullshit.

People's views can change over time. I'm pretty sure we've all held opinions, often ill-educated ones, in our younger days that our current selves would be ashamed of. I know I have. But you learn, and grow, and improve.

Hopefully that's the case here with Hale? It's not like she's doing an Ellis and doubling down on that shit. I'm inclined to give her some measured benefit of the doubt until I see evidence to the contrary.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It was a charity they were running on N7 day and she was streaming her signing of all the posters and stuff. I'm still perfectly thrilled to have it in a way, but knowing the crumminess of some of her views from a while ago does take the shine off it.

Brian Bloom not only performs for BioWare games but has worked the lead role in the new Wolfenstein series, one of the most politically diametrically-opposed series that I could possibly think of. Obviously a body of work doesn't really reflect a performer's personal politics most of the time (and to note he is a recurring primary writer/performer for the Call of Duty series so to consider he may have conservative leanings wouldn't be a stretch either), but I still find it surprising that he would signal boost such an openly intolerant stance like that, if true.
    That said I can't seem to find much of a social media presence just about anywhere, so maybe he's buried that deep

I thought Brian was calling Greg a fucking idiot.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

People's views can change over time. I'm pretty sure we've all held opinions, often ill-educated ones, in our younger days that our current selves would be ashamed of. I know I have. But you learn, and grow, and improve.

Hopefully that's the case here with Hale? It's not like she's doing an Ellis and doubling down on that shit. I'm inclined to give her some measured benefit of the doubt until I see evidence to the contrary.

I said things on this very forum that I look back at and go "holy shit I was a stupid edge lord republican jackass."

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options

I said things on this very forum that I look back at and go "holy shit I was a stupid edge lord republican jackass."

Along with "holy shit I was ignorant".

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I was honestly curious as to what Greg Ellis' Cullen video had in it but I didn't watch it. This article quotes it for those curious like me:

https://www.fanbyte.com/news/dragon-age-voice-actor-might-not-reprise-his-role-as-cullen-after-lash-out/

The trash took itself out.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

And, in my case, "holy shit that's an idiotic username."

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Sup.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »

Sup.

I got y'all beat. I'm sorry.

• Options

Sup.

I got y'all beat. I'm sorry.

At least you're not Donavon Puppyfucker.

Wait, he didn't choose that name? Shit!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    What's funniest about our pal Donovan Puppyfucker is that he started with a perfectly normal name and has twice managed to annoy the mods into giving him ever more stupid names :D

• Options
    What's funniest about our pal Donovan Puppyfucker is that he started with a perfectly normal name and has twice managed to annoy the mods into giving him ever more stupid names :D

Well, Tube specifically I suspect... :biggrin:

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Tube, for he is unsubtle and quick to anger.

edit: dammit! Wrong franchise again!

Orca on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

I thought Brian was calling Greg a fucking idiot.

I would literally Love To See It

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Hmm.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I know I'm excited for another 30 second teaser that contains no actual information.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah if its just another bunch of still images meh.

Also that "early" bothers me. If this is early what have the last 2 years been

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    More of that Bioware magic, i.e. futzing around for half a decade until we figure out what the game's supposed to actually be eight months before release and then crunch crunch crunch.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The demo is just a short of Cullen being kicked into a pit with “THIS IS PROGRESSIVE” screamed in the background?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    The demo is just a short of Cullen being kicked into a pit with “THIS IS PROGRESSIVE” screamed in the background?

Just have Darrah on stage sticking pins into a voodoo doll. "Oh I'm not actually part of the presentation I'm just here to cheer my ex-colleagues on"

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I was honestly curious as to what Greg Ellis' Cullen video had in it but I didn't watch it. This article quotes it for those curious like me:

https://www.fanbyte.com/news/dragon-age-voice-actor-might-not-reprise-his-role-as-cullen-after-lash-out/

The trash took itself out.

This RPS article has some of the genuinely insane details:
    RPS wrote:
    And how could I possibly forget the section when he cuts to riot footage while MLK’s “I have a dream” speech plays in the background remixed with quotes from Ronald Reagan.

That's some quality self-immolation. Regardless of his political beliefs, I hope finds his way to some good mental health treatment. Cullen is not one of my faves, but I thought he was great as Anders in Awakening.

Also, his forehead intimidates me.

htm on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the more I read and see reactions to that train wreck the more I think he just straight up needs mental health assistance.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I've only recently become aware of the Greg Ellis shitshow and god damn......

Cullenites? There's a fandom for everything.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I mean, there are probably people out there who want to bone Oghren.

I AM NOT GOOGLING THAT TO SEE IF I'M RIGHT

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    There's probably a Venn diagram out there between Oghrenfuckers and people who would bone George Costanza tbh

• Options
    Karl wrote: »
    I've only recently become aware of the Greg Ellis shitshow and god damn......

Cullenites? There's a fandom for everything.

I mean to be fair I thought Cullen was kind of cute until I found out Greg Ellis was a piece of shit. Here's hoping Steve Valentine doesn't do something horrible on twitter, Alistair continues to be one of my favorite DA characters and we have a cat named after him.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Beat Awakening last night. I forgot about how the end went down with the Architect and the Mother and all. Both of them were real creepy.

I'm going to finish out with Golems of Amgarrak and Witch Hunt in that order. I've never played either. I guess they both have new random party members, which is lame, I liked my main game and expansion crews. But I'm so buff by myself that it won't really matter.

• Options
    Golems is pretty blah, just a dungeon crawl IIRC. Witch Hunt advances the story and has some interesting bits to it.

• Options
    Is Golems the same length as the other 'small' DLCs? 2-3 hours?

• Options
    captaink wrote: »
    Is Golems the same length as the other 'small' DLCs? 2-3 hours?

That I don't recall. It is, if I'm remembering however, one of the hardest DLCs available for DA. So if you want to crank the difficulty and beat your head against it, it's a good candidate for that.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    lol...I forgot DA1 even had DLC outside of the Awakening expansion.

TBH unless you already have them I wouldn't even spend money on them and just hit up Youtube.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    lol...I forgot DA1 even had DLC outside of the Awakening expansion.

TBH unless you already have them I wouldn't even spend money on them and just hit up Youtube.

It had a lot! Shale was DLC, as was Warden's Keep and Return to Ostagar.

Then there's 4 separate story modules: Darkspawn Chronicles, Leliana's Song, Golems, and Witch Hunt.

I have the ultimate edition so it's all packed in.

• Options
    Oh wait I forgot about Shale.

Yeah, Shale was awesome.

• Options
    I remember enjoying most of the DLC actually. Return to Ostagar I remember enjoying, as well as Leliana's Song and Witch Hunt. And Awakening of course. Darkspawn Chronicles is so forgettable I completely forgot about it.

• Options
    I don't think they were bad, persay(except Chronicles)

But they're pretty short(hell most aren't even dungeon length but...this is DA1 so not being dungeon length may have been a blessing).

But if you got them for free with the ultimate edition, sure.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I liked Cullen's progression through the series. Though yes looking back a lot of it is weird even before taking into consideration he's a cop. His intro being that of having a huge crush on the (mage) player character is, given his position at the tower, incredibly inappropriate and not sweet and adorable. Best I can say is he knew it was wrong and never acted upon it, so we probably wouldn't have known had demons not tried to invade his brain.

Fuck you, Greg Ellis.

This discussion has been closed.