As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Family] Thread

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ah. well in that context maybe it's not such a neat gift.

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Print out the tombstone, hang them up next to each other, tell people you've got your whole life mapped out.

Hahaha fuck. I shouldn't have read this on the bus. People must think I'm some kind of maniac now.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I get her thought process, I think. But it's like, yes that seems like a reasonable thing to do if I was a fundamentally mentally ill person.

It's one thing to send a box of old photos of your childhood because they want it to be digitalised or something. She has done this by the way, I even have a copy of the exact same photo in there. This is just plain creepy.

But I'm not much better, my plan is to just ignore it and hope it goes away!

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Yeah. If she'd picked a cute photo of you like, standing next to a sandcastle taken when you were genuinely happy, it'd have been nice.

This photo of you burried up to your neck, with an ambiguous expression, while an adult signals their approval of your situation.... depending on her mental condition, doesn't send a great message.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Creagan wrote: »
    Yeah. If she'd picked a cute photo of you like, standing next to a sandcastle taken when you were genuinely happy, it'd have been nice.

This photo of you burried up to your neck, with an ambiguous expression, while an adult signals their approval of your situation.... depending on her mental condition, doesn't send a great message.

Oh my god I didn't even make that connection. Pretty sure she's not trying to kill me. Besides, if I remember right that hand is from a cousin or a friend.

Also I'm smiling, but the sun is in my eyes and my face is broken and I just always look like that.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    Okay, so it can be construed as cute. Still a weird choice of a photo to send your kid, but better than what I thought...

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Ha7wQDb.png?1

My status as world's greatest husband continues unabated.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    oh I ordered this from mysteryfudge.com

no big thang

Should have known better than to check that URL at work...

(it didn't lead anywhere, but it was still a dumb risk, in retrospect)

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Oh it can't be as stupid as the time I was trying to research Cougar power supplies and I went to cougar.com.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Oh it can't be as stupid as the time I was trying to research Cougar power supplies at work and I went to cougar.com.

Mostly D-cells?

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Oh it can't be as stupid as the time I was trying to research Cougar power supplies at work and I went to cougar.com.

Mostly D-cells?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    oh I ordered this from mysteryfudge.com

no big thang

Should have known better than to check that URL at work...

(it didn't lead anywhere, but it was still a dumb risk, in retrospect)

Little do you know that by simply clicking on it your location information was logged and a mystery fudge package is on its way to your home RIGHT NOW.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    My grandma passed away last week and we've started clearing out the house and picking crap up we wanna keep that's not willed.

Found a gold 1880 five dollar coin that's in a package that's apparently worth something from a cursory Google

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    My grandma passed away last week and we've started clearing out the house and picking crap up we wanna keep that's not willed.

Found a gold 1880 five dollar coin that's in a package that's apparently worth something from a cursory Google

I would imagine, at a minimum, it's worth $5.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

I've got a silver dollar from my grandad (1881) that I keep as a good luck piece. I like to think of it as a twenty dollar rabbit's foot.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    This is sorta-family sorta-pet but my mom's cat had to be put down today while my mom wasn't there and my mom is really devastated right now and I hate that she lives 650 miles from her closest family member with almost no local friends (even after 20 years). I worry about her, and I worry about her doing something dumb. And I'm sad as hell because Ziggy was a good cat in her own weird way.

To make this marginally less depressing, here is a video of Ziggy expressing affection by growling

https://youtu.be/gNWtBanoMGw

• Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    just got back from the vet myself. samson apparently has an infection and his liver is acting up. so, I'm gonna be freaking out about that for a couple more days. I just hope the antibiotics work.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    kitty is much better today. still not eating but he can come home tomorrow. 7/9 lives left, not bad for a nine year old cat.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    Ziggy has the same face as my cat from high school, you know the one, The Executioner.

On a completely unrelated note, trying to convince my mother that the 2002 Ford Taurus sitting in the driveway does not actually appreciate in value the longer you let it sit ... yeah, that's been fun today. She highballed a guy last year at a grand and he countered with eight-hundred and she promptly turned up her nose at it. She just pulled the same shit again today a year after the fact, same price, different dude (of course).

Yes, David fucked up his car becuase he never changed the oil and she and I had to pay through the nose to rebuild the engine and the transmission. Yes, it was a lot of money that we'll never get back. No, letting the fucking thing sit in the driveway without a For Sale sign does not actually mean someone will psychically know that she will only take more than the car is worth.

I know that I love my mother but I also know that I don't like her very much anymore.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    @veretas I get mom trubs, bro

• Options
    Gwen's home for a week long visit. My mom's in the hospital. (She went in thinking she had a heart issue, an initial EKG suggested a possible heart attack, follow up tests show her heart's fine & this might be a pinched nerve.)

Dad actually took time off work to help Mom in the morning. My brother actually borrowed a bike & biked from his apartment to the hospital to visit her.

I've visited Mom twice to bring her food & stuff. (She has lots of serious allergies & can't eat most of the hospital food.) She sort of tricked me into bringing her tea when she's not supposed to be on caffeine, although she swears she's just not supposed to have it tomorrow before her stress test.

And Gwen managed to insult my undergrad degree in the first 30 seconds we were in a room together for the first time in months. Before I'd spoken to her.

So in other words, it's been another week in Creagan's family life.

• Options
    I'm glad your mom didn't have a heart attack.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I agree. I'm glad your mom didn't have anything very serious wrong.

I'm curious why she didn't get food from the hospital if she has that many allergies though. Has she not told them about her allergies? They would make her a proper meal.

I know it's a small thing, but it's had me curious all night.

• Options

I'm curious why she didn't get food from the hospital if she has that many allergies though. Has she not told them about her allergies? They would make her a proper meal.

Allergen-free hospital food has a tendency to taste like something you would feed to a sickly baby from an endangered species.

• Options

Allergen-free hospital food has a tendency to taste like something you would feed to a sickly baby from an endangered species.

It's also not always allergen free. Mom's had to argue with nurses over whether or not it was safe for her to eat food because 'they took the soy protein out of it.'

Mom's allergic to soy, tree nuts, chicken, dairy, garlic, onions, shallots and eggs. And now the doctors are suggesting chocolate gives her serious indegestion.

She's back from the hospital, her heart's fine (thank god,) they think it was a pinched nerve & gave her some creme to use if it happens again.

• Options
    Creagan wrote: »
    soy, tree nuts, chicken, dairy, garlic, onions, shallots and eggs

God damn. I'm really lucky and I need to remember that. My only serious allergy is to an uncommon alternative to penicillin and my only minor one is the common mosquito bite (even then the welt is gone in about two hours).

• Options
    Those are just her straight forward food allergies. She's allergic to penicillin too. (And come to think of it, soft & blue cheses cultured with a similar mold.)

And dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, pollen, ragweed, goldenrod....

We have more antihistamines in the house than some pharmacies.

• Options
    my cat, Samson, didn't make it. he was the best cat. this is profoundly devastating... everyone who loved him got to say goodbye last night, except my grandma who loved him most of all. she died a few years ago. fucking sucks, dudes.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    the cheat wrote: »
    my cat, Samson, didn't make it. he was the best cat. this is profoundly devastating... everyone who loved him got to say goodbye last night, except my grandma who loved him most of all. she died a few years ago. fucking sucks, dudes.

I'm really sorry, man.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    thanks, y'all.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Sigh, new people at work, which while cool, creates uniquely bad times for me when they invariably ask if I have any kids and share pictures of theirs. Trying to seem genuinely happy outside to them when inside you are holding back tears with all your might. Then of course you answer the kid question and completely destroy the good mood of everyone in earshot and leave some poor new guy feeling deeply uncomfortable. Now matter how many times you try to tell someone it's ok and they shouldn't feel bad for asking it never works. Just awkward silence for awhile until another conversation thread picks up, generally after I leave the room of course, nothing like being the epitome of Buzz Killington.

• Options
    I'm really sorry. I wouldn't say you're the buzz kill, though. People who are buzz kills don't really try to seem happy & then tell somebody it's OK & they shouldn't feel bad about depressing stuff. They inflict it on other people.

More like, social convention has created a really shitty situation, and you're trying your best to navigate it but even the best solution isn't really that great. And I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

Hugs.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I personally would just say "I'd rather not talk about it." and if they press the issue well then it's their own fault when they hear the truth of the matter and feel terrible for bringing it up. It's not your job to make sure they feel better after they bring all those feelings back up for you.

• Options
    I understand that sentiment but that's unfair to my son to do so. I can't pretend he doesn't exist and as much as it hurts he deserves to be remembered and identified as my son. Just because he's gone does nothing to change he's my child. I'll lament the situation all day but I'll proudly proclaim he's my son and tell his story. Anything less would be an insult to his memory.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    You and your boy have been an inspiration to me, Blackhawk. Keep telling your son's story.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    This could be a stupid idea, but maybe you could set up an office change jar whose proceeds will be donated to a charity in honor of your son?

Then whoever's showing new people around can point out the charity as part of the intro, and therefore head off the 'kids' question? That way new people are informed ahead of time, you're remembering your son, and not forced into explaining anything upsetting.

• Options
    While a great idea my work involves very tight access restrictions so it's difficult to coordinate that kind of thing. I do always collect tabs from people when possible, the whole family and anyone else who had been willing collects pop tabs and we send them along with cash from various donation things to Ronald McDonald house in Pensacola.

We owe them everything from when my son was alive as there is no way we could have stayed and been there for him the months at a time we had to, which in hindsight as well means they gave us months with him we would not have had. I can never properly thank them for that so I do what I can to try and help them.

• Options
    Maybe a jar for pop-tabs then? There'd probably be less restrictions on it, since dirrect cash isn't involved. And instead of being in your son's name, it could be in honor of your son to further cut down on complications.

• Options
    It's not a cash thing unfortunately, DoD.

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    I know that VA has exceptions for that via Employee associations. Also does DoD participate in CFC?

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.