As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We finally have free time to work on our [Gunpla] Thread

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »
    Any suggestions for a different glue to try besides regular ould super/crazy glue? This broken bit is right at a joint and superglue is just coming apart every time I move the wing around.

Pretty bummed. The part had a noticable stress mark even before I took it out of the runner, and then it just popped apart when I tried to put it on the backpack.

You wanna use plastic cement for Gunpla. It melts the plastic together rather than just sticking it together, so you get a much better hold.

Not sure if this advice holds for gunpla, but for most iffy joins on other models you can pin it. Just drill a small hole on each side of the join and put a "pin" as an extra connection, like a paper clip or bit of brass rod. Then glue it.

What cement is the least smelly? Or they all pretty gross-smelling and need to be used with ventilation/a mask of some sort?

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Any suggestions for a different glue to try besides regular ould super/crazy glue? This broken bit is right at a joint and superglue is just coming apart every time I move the wing around.

Pretty bummed. The part had a noticable stress mark even before I took it out of the runner, and then it just popped apart when I tried to put it on the backpack.

You wanna use plastic cement for Gunpla. It melts the plastic together rather than just sticking it together, so you get a much better hold.

Not sure if this advice holds for gunpla, but for most iffy joins on other models you can pin it. Just drill a small hole on each side of the join and put a "pin" as an extra connection, like a paper clip or bit of brass rod. Then glue it.

What cement is the least smelly? Or they all pretty gross-smelling and need to be used with ventilation/a mask of some sort?

Poly cement is more or less identical between brands. The smell is harmless. Just get the one with the applicator you find easiest

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

first MG I've build since... I think the MG Kampfer about 10 years ago? Dang.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    It looks so rad.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options

Poly cement is more or less identical between brands. The smell is harmless. Just get the one with the applicator you find easiest

Do you have a preferred brand? If not, would you mind just linking to and example?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Dat Shoulder Cannon!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular

Do you have a preferred brand? If not, would you mind just linking to and example?

Testors has always worked for me.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options

Personal I use gale force nine because it's cheap per ml and I generally use it warhammer kits more than anything, most other models I build need superglue. For gunpla I would probably get tamiya thin with the brush or revel with the needle applicator.

Also I might have a problem, my first two kits I bought haven't even arrived yet and I've already bought another.

Already eyeing up an MG heavy arms.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Shoulder gun is so cool. I like his kinda slopey shoulders too.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Check out these awesome "scratch-built" mecha made from old toys & appliances!

Also, I'd like to hold some sort of contest for giving away these two models I don't think I am going to have time to finish any time soon... but I am not sure about forum policy on such things. I suppose I could just do a raffle, or something silly like an essay contest!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Check out these awesome "scratch-built" mecha made from old toys & appliances!

Also, I'd like to hold some sort of contest for giving away these two models I don't think I am going to have time to finish any time soon... but I am not sure about forum policy on such things. I suppose I could just do a raffle, or something silly like an essay contest!

Kitbashing is an art that is both full of awe and confusion

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Bandai BB-8 A++ would build again

wvu7d3oi5e9a.jpg

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    bandai blowin' it away with these star wars kits

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    So this handsome fella is on the way in the mail now.

hgbf-try-burning-gundam-t-02_2.jpg

I'm all fired up to build it. Looking forward to Thursday!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    This guy im making has a transform function!

It doesnt work and a part broke

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular

I built my first RG kit and didn't realize it had a transform/combine function.

It's fucking terrifying and I'm afraid it will explode if I so much as turn on the ceiling fan.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    A part on the gun is suppoused to fold up

i just took it off because it doesnt work at alllll

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »

It's fucking terrifying and I'm afraid it will explode if I so much as turn on the ceiling fan.

Are you talking about the 00 Raiser? Because that one's durable. No worries.

The RX-78, on the other hand...

Worry.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »

I assume you are looking at the Zeta Gundam, which I have heard is very delicate. Basically you decide which form you want it in and leave it there.

If you have the OO Raiser, it's super sturdy and fun to transform.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Anyone got recommendations for battle damaging a kit? I want to do burns and rust.

I have a Kotobukiya Black REX that was one of my first gunpla kits, and I didn't do a great job. But... Black Ver REX is getting a rerelease in Feb, so I was gonna pick one up! And as for my current one... I wanna use it as my first attempt at airbrushing! :D

So the plan is to turn this one I currently have into MGS4's wrecked version of MG REX. Some of the leg armour is removable. The radar dish will need modifying, I figure I'll take that plate out, glue some custom cut n' painted plastic in there. There's meant to be a chunk missing from the head armour, but far as I can tell that's just hollow space on the model, don't think I'll be able to do that.

Mostly what I'm looking for advice on is what kinda paint layers I need to do? I'm gonna using the original 2012 grey version of the kit's colour guide as a starting template, that'll get it looking like new, MGS1 era REX. Where do I go from there? Dark top coats?

Also, one method I've seen for doing rust is to do a brown rusty lookin' base coat, cover that in salt, then paint, then wash the salt off to reveal rusty holes in the paint - would that work for doing a camo paintjob?

Sorry if this ended up super rambling. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Built the Schwalbe Graze last night

So many Verniers. So many verniers

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I've been tempted by the Barzam Refined kit of late

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Anyone got recommendations for battle damaging a kit? I want to do burns and rust.

I have a Kotobukiya Black REX that was one of my first gunpla kits, and I didn't do a great job. But... Black Ver REX is getting a rerelease in Feb, so I was gonna pick one up! And as for my current one... I wanna use it as my first attempt at airbrushing! :D

So the plan is to turn this one I currently have into MGS4's wrecked version of MG REX. Some of the leg armour is removable. The radar dish will need modifying, I figure I'll take that plate out, glue some custom cut n' painted plastic in there. There's meant to be a chunk missing from the head armour, but far as I can tell that's just hollow space on the model, don't think I'll be able to do that.

Mostly what I'm looking for advice on is what kinda paint layers I need to do? I'm gonna using the original 2012 grey version of the kit's colour guide as a starting template, that'll get it looking like new, MGS1 era REX. Where do I go from there? Dark top coats?

Also, one method I've seen for doing rust is to do a brown rusty lookin' base coat, cover that in salt, then paint, then wash the salt off to reveal rusty holes in the paint - would that work for doing a camo paintjob?

Sorry if this ended up super rambling. ;P

For easy weathering look at Tamiya Weathering Powders. You can also paint in "chipped" areas or use the salt'n'hair-spray method. A great video on how to paint and weather a model kit is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArWF85qIn5w

• Options
    I want to use that weathering powder but am terrified of using that weathering powder

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    20160121_181331_zpsu1enjasn.jpg

Stop! Look at these pictures.
    20160121_181616_zpsvhohegar.jpg
    Or don't I guess, it's your time.

20160121_182517_zpshhu05rbe.jpg
    I'm charging up!

20160121_193509_zpsochvjkb4.jpg
    Yeah, I'm on fire now, so what?

20160121_192333_zps44b17jnq.jpg
    Action punch!

20160121_192821_zpse9a7dyav.jpg
    Action kick!

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I feel like you could do rad stuff to those flames if you paint them right

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I feel like you could do rad stuff to those flames if you paint them right

Some of them light up in UV, too!

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    I've been tempted by the Barzam Refined kit of late

do itttt

barzams don't get enough love
    Black Ver REX is getting a rerelease in Feb, so I was gonna pick one up!

oh man, excellent, i wanna get one too

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Well tomorrow's project is trying to fix the X Maoh's wing with me cement that just came in.

If that doesn't work the X Maoh is gonna become the V Maoh.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Well tomorrow's project is trying to fix the X Maoh's wing with me cement that just came in.

If that doesn't work the X Maoh is gonna become the V Maoh.

Ah, yes.

The Turn A Maoh.

No, wait. You mean the Nu Maoh, don't you?

Unless it's the Victory Maoh...

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    So my local comic shop is starting a "Create Night" this week, and the owner asked me to come in and teach people about gunpla! Super excited, I'd love to get more people around here into the hobby.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    I built a Hyakuren a couple weeks ago
    nxyhmw8b184e.jpg
    And went to a local hobby store to check what they had, and walked out with two kits.
    Here's the Harute
    d9yr1m0wwdz9.jpg
    o18x1j1qcpol.jpg
    Been using Gunpla as a relaxation thing, but I have to resist building them all at once.

• Options
    So I just built my first gunpla! It was fun, built a HG Barbatos. This thing is way bigger than I thought it would be!

It's getting a primer layer tonight as I'm going to repaint the whole thing.

I also got the commander graze and it's cool how the grappling hook can actually be attached to the Barbatos too.

• Options
    GRRRR this darn wing! I just will not go back together.

I've currently got it soaking in hot water to remove any bits of the old superglue that might still be around.

I even did a pass with the plastic cement around the egeds of the break while they were already pressed together with cement and no dice.

I don't suppose there is any way to order spare parts.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    So I just built my first gunpla! It was fun, built a HG Barbatos. This thing is way bigger than I thought it would be!

It's getting a primer layer tonight as I'm going to repaint the whole thing.

I also got the commander graze and it's cool how the grappling hook can actually be attached to the Barbatos too.

they're both pretty awesome; also I'm surprised the Wire for the hook is actually a flexible wire, I had been expecting a static plastic piece

Right now just got them lined up with my RG 00 Raiser and HG G-Self kits, with the 00 holding up it's big GN Sword in a mix of slightly actiony and neutral posture, a neutral posture for G-Self but with the head looking up, Barbatos readying to smack something with the mace in a readied stance and the Graze kind of just pointing the gun while looking around

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Speaking of the 00 Raiser
    l5156vb13mrs.jpg
    6tksb7osu55n.jpg
    bnqhb30ur6l7.jpg
    Did a little lining and markers for clear bits, looks pretty nice.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I've currently got it soaking in hot water to remove any bits of the old superglue that might still be around.

I even did a pass with the plastic cement around the egeds of the break while they were already pressed together with cement and no dice.

Nah, you just order another whole kit, and in fact do that for a few of your models, and use the leftover parts to assemble something that is an affront to man, God, and the laws of physics.

• Options

Depends. If you ordered it from Bluefin, they might be able to sell you replacement parts, if you still have the information from your purchase. And there's a few places online to get parts.

But mostly, it's not easy.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

Nah, you just order another whole kit, and in fact do that for a few of your models, and use the leftover parts to assemble something that is an affront to man, God, and the laws of physics.

I'm like 90% sure that's the exact plot of at least one Gundam series.

see317 on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I'm like 90% sure that's the exact plot of at least one Gundam series.

Is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan a Gundam series?

This discussion has been closed.