As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Started a new game this morning and decided to attack the caravan for shits and giggles. Turns out this is an actual option for advancing the story. You get a quest entry for killing everyone and run off into the ruins to avoid the storm without ever fighting any locals. I'm thinking this playthrough is going to be pure murderhobo just to see how the game reacts.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Started a new game this morning and decided to attack the caravan for shits and giggles. Turns out this is an actual option for advancing the story. You get a quest entry for killing everyone and run off into the ruins to avoid the storm without ever fighting any locals. I'm thinking this playthrough is going to be pure murderhobo just to see how the game reacts.

I've never tried it myself, but I believe there's only one person you're not allowed to kill.

That is... you are allowed to kill them, it just leads to a Game Over.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular

Never thought to try that, ha ha! Even when trying it's hard for me to choose the total dick options or think of them.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I never finished a second play through post-expansions. I always get torn on what classes.

That and I really like the visual style of Tyranny, but 4 characters isn't enough! :D

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular

I've never tried it myself, but I believe there's only one person you're not allowed to kill.

That is... you are allowed to kill them, it just leads to a Game Over.

I'm pretty sure it's
    Lady Webb, right?

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    wgrenwgren Registered User regular
    It's getting ported to consoles apparently.

Sawyer: "Paradox Arctic did all of the development for Pillars of Eternity on console. We're only developing Deadfire for Windows, Mac, and Linux and all of our design and engineering decisions are being made for those platforms."

A hands-on of how it plays on Gamespot.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    At last!

I can become the paladinzerker I always was meant to be.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    At last!

Aggressively defending the weak and obliterating the unjust!

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Bible in one hand, MEAD FLAGON IN THE OTHER.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Disappointed that the Barbarian/Monk isn't called the Brawlbarian.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    At last!

I will be doing so much multiclassing in this.

I want to run Wizard/Monk, Paladin/Fighter (Pally is already kind of an upfront in your face fighter anyway), Cipher/Fighter (because last time a melee cipher could be a damn monster, how much better with weapon proficiencies and armored grace), Druid/Monk (Heh, if improved unarmed can stack with Wildstrike...), Wizard/Druid (I have all the AOE!),

Wild to think that I will have to run some single classes just so I can see level 8 & 9 spells.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    The Monk subclass that gains wounds from doing damage would synergize really well with Cipher.

• Options
    The Monk subclass that gains wounds from doing damage would synergize really well with Cipher.

If those personal enhancement spells are still in game, Wizard/Combat Class (Monk, Barbarian, Fighter, even Pally) is going to be popular.

• Options
    The summoned weapons are going to melt crowds with the Barbarian's carnage.

• Options
    Everybody's gonna be a (half-)Druid.

Except Edér. He's gonna be a Ranger.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    wgren wrote: »
    It's getting ported to consoles apparently.

Sawyer: "Paradox Arctic did all of the development for Pillars of Eternity on console. We're only developing Deadfire for Windows, Mac, and Linux and all of our design and engineering decisions are being made for those platforms."

A hands-on of how it plays on Gamespot.

I'm kinda skeptical about how well that will work. Of all these kickstarted cRPGs, pillars is by far the fiddliest, requiring a lot of micro positioning, especially with ray spells, and also in terms of selecting powers. I can't even imagine what the skill selection would look like for a leveled up priest with a console ui

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Compared to divinity pillars is downright straightforward and breezy on console, divinity is a fucking nightmare on consoles, especially making sure characters don't step on shit.

Unfortunately loading times get ridiculous, I'm just getting into pillars at the moment tho so I'm hoping the x improves them a little bit

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Unless it has a ssd, I don't see how it'd improve it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    How is the PS4 port of this?

My laptop can’t really hit a stable 30fps, it’s one the 15 range a lot, which is not fun.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    Deadfire is releasing April 3rd per Obsidian on Twitter!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Damn, those character models actually look really good for a game like this.

That has me really excited.

That mixed with the fact that they say there will be more VA in this one.

VA and rad character models are 2 big things that can allow me to actually get fully engrossed in a game. I wanted to be more engrossed in the first one than I was but this could do the trick.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Igpx407 wrote: »

Woo-hoo!

Also, preorder bonuses:

Prgawy5.png

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options

That's way earlier than I was expecting.

Hmm. Maybe I ought to restart Pillars 1 now to have 'the perfect savefile' to bring along to Pillars 2.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

Hmm. Maybe I ought to restart Pillars 1 now to have 'the perfect savefile' to bring along to Pillars 2.

Maybe I should get around to finishing Pillars this time...

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

There's supposedly a way to just choose your decisions to bring in so you can get your game state where you want it even without a PoE1 save game.

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

Yeah, I've bogged down twice now. I love the IDEA of this game, it might just be (god help me for saying this) too large.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    oh boy, I backed pillars 2 but only ever got to the beginning of Act 2 in pillars 1. I should probably.... get further than that. I even own the expansion pass and what not. yeesh lol

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    oh boy, I backed pillars 2 but only ever got to the beginning of Act 2 in pillars 1. I should probably.... get further than that. I even own the expansion pass and what not. yeesh lol
    I'm in the same boat. As I played PoE, I kind of started to realize that while I loved playing BG2 back in high school, what I really loved were the characters, the conversations, seeing the world, and so on; what I did not really love was the rules system. Or, rather, at the time it was fine because 2nd Edition AD&D was basically all I knew. Now, 17 years later, I find that I'm kind of put off by the rules system (and, it was actually a big disappointment to me that PoE used a system that was so similar to 2nd Edition AD&D). Maybe I should just dial the difficulty to minimum and play through for the character and story beats.

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. As I played PoE, I kind of started to realize that while I loved playing BG2 back in high school, what I really loved were the characters, the conversations, seeing the world, and so on; what I did not really love was the rules system. Or, rather, at the time it was fine because 2nd Edition AD&D was basically all I knew. Now, 17 years later, I find that I'm kind of put off by the rules system (and, it was actually a big disappointment to me that PoE used a system that was so similar to 2nd Edition AD&D). Maybe I should just dial the difficulty to minimum and play through for the character and story beats.

While I can enjoy the tactical combat, I think a big part of why I bogged down was the story. Something about Gods and killing them and a LOT of names with apostrophes. I was good for a bit, and then it just jumps in complexity and I think I keep missing the point where I'm supposed to keep up.

• Options

hm i wonder if i can just flip this bad boy to easy and keep going on with my current save

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    I backed PoE and when I finally got around to playing it, I loved it. Mostly because of a timing issue, admittedly -- I started playing it in earnest in early 2016 maybe a week before I slipped on ice, fell and broke my arm. (n.b. It's all better now.) So it was a great relief to have a game that I could play on my PC that was almost entirely mouse-driven and so could be played essentially one-handed while my right arm was in a sling.

Also backed PoE 2 and will be playing it after release sooner rather than later; and this time I should be able to play it with two hands ...

• Options
    Massena wrote: »

While I can enjoy the tactical combat, I think a big part of why I bogged down was the story. Something about Gods and killing them and a LOT of names with apostrophes. I was good for a bit, and then it just jumps in complexity and I think I keep missing the point where I'm supposed to keep up.

It was just the one God that got killed. It's not like anyone made a habit of it.

And it turns out, they didn't even do that good a job of killing them.

• Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Yeah. I think I've re-started the 3 times, never finished.
    Last try fizzled, because I wanted to try the expansion set and never came back.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    Can't wait to jump into the new adventures of my wild orlan.

Its a lot of fun playing as a sadistic furball.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Yea my problem was too much text compared to VA.

That is supposedly better this time so I should be able to get much more into this one.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    At this point I almost wonder if I should give up on PoE 1 and just wait for 2. I kickstarted both just cause I want these kinds of games to be made and enjoy supporting Obsidian but 1 was still a bit archaic for my tastes in 2018.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    PoE is almost the perfect game for me. I loved the combat and the overarching story. I really dig on mythology, so that's an easy sell. I have a D&D rulebook about gods floating around somewhere...

I didn't realize that until I tried to play the new Planescape and just hated the combat system they set up. I'm sure the story is interesting, but I never made it very far.

I think it's interesting to think about. I've been playing games designed by some of these guys for so long (Josh Sawyer particularly), that I wonder if I just like the kind of systems he makes, or have I been conditioned to like them over time because of how often I interact with them?

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    PoE is almost the perfect game for me. I loved the combat and the overarching story. I really dig on mythology, so that's an easy sell. I have a D&D rulebook about gods floating around somewhere...

I didn't realize that until I tried to play the new Planescape and just hated the combat system they set up. I'm sure the story is interesting, but I never made it very far.

I think it's interesting to think about. I've been playing games designed by some of these guys for so long (Josh Sawyer particularly), that I wonder if I just like the kind of systems he makes, or have I been conditioned to like them over time because of how often I interact with them?

Torment: Tides of Numenera? FWIW, you can get through almost the entire game without ever actually going into combat (that's how I played it), and the story and the world are just super cool.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    Derrick wrote: »

Torment: Tides of Numenera? FWIW, you can get through almost the entire game without ever actually going into combat (that's how I played it), and the story and the world are just super cool.

Yes play a Jack or a Nano and get all the conversating abilities. I think I got in 2 fights the whole game.