As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MLB 2021: Dodgers/Braves Cheatros/Wahh Sox

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Pitchers also have like rituals that don't necessarily do anything but doing them helps them pitch. Baseball is one of the more superstitious of sports.

Baseball involves a lot of complicated motions that need to be repeated with consistency. Throwing a strike or fielding a grounder and throwing across the diamond, in time, on target is pretty difficult and a small variation in timing or movement can completely screw it up. Ritual helps with consistency and ritual tends to breed superstition.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Pitchers also have like rituals that don't necessarily do anything but doing them helps them pitch. Baseball is one of the more superstitious of sports.

Baseball involves a lot of complicated motions that need to be repeated with consistency. Throwing a strike or fielding a grounder and throwing across the diamond, in time, on target is pretty difficult and a small variation in timing or movement can completely screw it up. Ritual helps with consistency and ritual tends to breed superstition.

Yep, and just a small change can ruin you forever. The dreaded "yips" or Mike Zunino's batting average.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Six wrote: »

Yep, and just a small change can ruin you forever. The dreaded "yips" or Mike Zunino's batting average.

Don't let Mike Zunino's batting average distract you from the fact that in June of 2000 Chuck Knoblauch threw a ball into the stands and hit Keith Olbermman's mom.

Six on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Zunino has been good this year. He apparently is also worth about 2 runs/game behind the plate in value from pitch framing/selection/defense

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    I love Zunino and he brings a lot to the table.

Batting average is not his forte.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Resurrect this thread with play of the year:

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    In the weird era we are in the rockies clinched a play off spot last night. And still have a good chance to win the west. Kind of nuts.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I only follow Twins twitter so I don’t know if any other team is doing these sorts of things but golly I’m saving this gif forever.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Brewers and Cubs are tied atop the NL Central with 1 game to go tomorrow. If both win, there's a tie-breaker game on Monday.

GO BREWERS!

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Go Tigers!

Not that I have any faith in them.

• Options
    I hope we see the good Quintana tomorrow.

Cubs scored the fewest runs of the 4, and arguably needed all of them. By the rule of “save some for tomorrow”, they should be in good shape.

...right?

• Options
    Jesus.

Cubs and Brewers 1 game play off.

Rockies and Dodgers 1 game play off.

Not even up to the actual wild card.

This year is nuts.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    It's Rocktober baby!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Cubs are terrible. How do we have no bats?! Needed to win one out of two games to play in the NLDS and we scored one run in either game. Super frustrating.

I know that's a knee jerk, like our regular season record was really strong but just getting killed down the stretch in close games is painful, especially when Lester is playing insanely well.

• Options
    Rizzo saw 7 pitches over 4 ABs.

That first pitch GIDP in the 6th was a back breaker.

Bryant never got going after his DL stint.

Giving up runs in the first inning seemingly every game.

40 games scoring 1 or fewer.

42 out of 43 days at the ballpark to end the season.

I’m disappointed, but not surprised.

Better to get it over early instead of losing to the Brewers or Dodgers.

• Options
    Cubs need to make moves for people who don't swing for the fences every at bat.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »

Wouldn’t getting people who are more successful at it be better though?

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »

Wouldn’t getting people who are more successful at it be better though?

We have plenty of people who can hit for power though. They need people who can just reliably get on base and keep an inning alive.

• Options
    In 2015/2016 it seemed like the Cubs always had some hot bats.

These past 2 seasons, it’s like they’ve all been hot at the same time and then they all get cold at the same time.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Woke up to a pleasant surprise this morning to find the Cubs had lost.

Went to bed in the middle of the 9th assuming the Cubs were going to win. Not sure how they lost considering the home plate ump and the MLB replay crew essentially handed them the game.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Jeeze Boston fans... keeping it classy. Dipshits were throwing full cans of beer during the parade, like at the team. Mookie Betts almost got taken out, and the trophy was damaged by a can. Also a person in the crowd was hit and had to get stitches.

Also someone unfurled a big banner that read "Lost Again 2018" with the LA logo for the Dodgers, which strikes me as unnecessarily petty and childish =/

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Boston sports fans are pretty awful.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Boston sports fans are pretty awful.

LA sports fans aren't much better. I remember there being news reports of property damage during celebrations when the Lakers were winning championships.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Also someone unfurled a big banner that read "Lost Again 2018" with the LA logo for the Dodgers, which strikes me as unnecessarily petty and childish =/

Nah that's hilarious. The rest is garbage, though.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Nah that's hilarious. The rest is garbage, though.

It's not the worst thing, but why not celebrate The Sox becoming one of the best teams in MLB history with their accomplishments this year instead of rubbing salt in the wounds of Dodgers fans? Like, I'm not overly concerned about the feelings of the millionaire ballplayers, but it's gotta stink for Dodgers fans right now. Two years in a row, bleh.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I hope your hands don’t hurt from all the wringing

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    literally everyone calls us assholes in one of the best portmanteau of all times.

Heck there was some devastatingly good street art in NYC calling us trash this year.

• Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I hope your hands don’t hurt from all the wringing

Nah, they're fine. I take a couple Aleve every morning, keeps the pain down.

I just think it would be cool if people were less shitty towards each other. Boston did something pretty cool this year, and I think as a fan, it's possible to celebrate that without being a prick.

Also, a portion of every team's fanbase are insufferable jerks I think. New England teams happen to win alot, so the spotlight falls on those fans more often I guess.

• Options
    Wakey wakey MLB thread. The spring is upon us and so is spring training and late breaking free agent deals.

Phillies pick up Harper for $330 million, the largest contract in North American sports

This was totally not worth the cost in my mind. Like damn.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Wakey wakey MLB thread. The spring is upon us and so is spring training and late breaking free agent deals.

Phillies pick up Harper for $330 million, the largest contract in North American sports

This was totally not worth the cost in my mind. Like damn.

13 years? Does he realisticly expect to still be playing in a decade?

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    Wow how bad are the nationals that you'd rather play on the phillies?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Does it matter when they are paying you that much?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Does it matter when they are paying you that much?

True I mean cano did leave the yankees to play for the mariners.

YES I WENT THERE BEFORE THE REST OF YOU FUCKERS!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    The Phillies are probably going to be really good this year, as are the Braves, the Nats are probably going to bounce back with a sick rotation and a crazy young outfield, and if the Mets stay healthy (please god) they'll be rolling too

I'm absolutely calling the NL East as the strongest division in baseball behind the AL East. All four wild card teams will be from the East, you heard it here first.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    The Phillies are probably going to be really good this year, as are the Braves, the Nats are probably going to bounce back with a sick rotation and a crazy young outfield, and if the Mets stay healthy (please god) they'll be rolling too

I'm absolutely calling the NL East as the strongest division in baseball behind the AL East. All four wild card teams will be from the East, you heard it here first.

So based on how most early season predictions go, no teams from the east will be in the wild card.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Man, twitter reactions to Harper are great. Especially comparing him to Trout who is up for free agency next year.

I laughed out loud.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    More likely the East will be bunched up because they’ll beat up on each other.

13 years. And I believe...no opt-outs, full no-trade, no deferred money.

I don’t see any way that won’t be regrettable by year 9-10.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    More likely the East will be bunched up because they’ll beat up on each other.

13 years. And I believe...no opt-outs, full no-trade, no deferred money.

I don’t see any way that won’t be regrettable by year 9-10.

Only if they hate each other/have an antagonistic relationship.

Harper is easy to bag on and while he's not Mike Trout he is one of the best players in baseball and makes any team he is on better.

If Phillies get 7-8 years off high caliber ball out of him they get both a face for their franchise and are probably going to make a big post season push are three somewhere in that window.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Harper is good. But i am not sure he is 330m good. Mainly because his WAR is front loaded and it looked like he regressed from his breakout seasons. If it wasn't for that he probably would be.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Phillies probably regret that harper contract in less than 5 years. Injury prone guy that people only remember the good year on and not the multitude of mediocre years.

Scott Boras tho. Phillies desperate to remain a relevant sports franchise in a town that doesn't give a shit about them unless they're about to win the NL East.

aeNqQM9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.